Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 92

Thread: What are your favorite, gotta-have-'em snack foods?

  1. #1
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,302

    What are your favorite, gotta-have-'em snack foods?

    Did you ever sit munching on something late one night and think "I wish someone would invent some new kind of food"? Yeah. Me, too.

    I think nowhere is this more true than when it comes to snack foods. Potato chips, Doritos, Chex-mix. Jees, how much and for how long can we go on mindlessly scarf down this stuff before we scream "STOP THE MADNESS!!!

    Now many here know that I choose to lead a pretty healthful lifestyle. I do three thousand crunches a day, five days a week, and work out with iron three times a week. I eat healthy, haven't had a sugar-laden softdrink, a glass of anything -- when it comes to milk -- but skim milk or a slice of white bread in more years than I can remember. Absolutely no fast foods for me or my clan and I read the labels on anything and everything I'm thinking about putting into my body.

    But I will confess that one small serving of snack food three times a week is my concession to normalcy. Problem is, you get tired of the same thing all the time.

    So in the hope I can learn about some amazing new minor-sin indulgences, I'm asking orgers to post about their own favorite snack foods. And hopefully some of you can learn from each other and discover something amazing, exciting and breathtaking that you've never indulged in before. (And hey, I'm talkin' about snack foods here. This isn't The Tar Swamp, ya know. )

    So I'll start it off: About six months ago my twelve-year old Alex turned me on to Snyders of Hanover Cheddar Cheese Pretzel Pieces. I gotta tell ya, I'm in love with these guys -- crunchy, salty, cheesy and (aside from a bit too much sodium) not really a nutritional abomination. Give 'em a try. You'll thank me later.

    Okay, orgers. What rings your snack food bell? (And after you do sample some suggestions put forth here, how about reporting back on your impressions?)
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 1, 2011 at 01:06am.

  2. #2
    No more OT Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,946
    Totino's pizza rolls. Those stupid little things are probably some of the worst things I can possibly eat but I get a craving for them sometimes that I can't shake.

    Red Velvet "twinkies". Pure indulgence.

    Cashews or the Deluxe nut mix. Can't go wrong.

    String cheese.

    Pork rinds. The cracklin kind and hot.

    And probably my favorite would have to be a couple of really good plums.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    249
    Fire roasted tomato and olive oil Triscuits.


  4. #4
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Totino's pizza rolls. Those stupid little things are probably some of the worst things I can possibly eat but I get a craving for them sometimes that I can't shake.

    Red Velvet "twinkies". Pure indulgence.

    Cashews or the Deluxe nut mix. Can't go wrong.

    String cheese.

    Pork rinds. The cracklin kind and hot.

    And probably my favorite would have to be a couple of really good plums.
    If I could have looked into a crystal ball when my sons were born and seen the future, I would have put every cent I owned into buying Totino's pizza rolls stock.

  5. #5
    Brassy Baroness Judith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,837
    I don't keep snacks at home, but when I travel there are always some nuts (cashews, hot spicy peanuts, deluxe mix, or peanut M&M's) in my bag. I never know if I can catch a bite between flights or if I'm rushing from my flight to an appointment. I'm not pretty when I'm hungry. My twin teases it's just we are 'hangry'.

    During Power Con, it was all about the Doritos and Kit Kats. I just never walk down that aisle when shopping so I never have it around.

    When traveling with family, rice cracker mix (nori wrapped please) and/or trail mix with craisins!
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

  6. #6
    Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    So I'll start it off: About six months ago my twelve-year old Alex turned me on to Snyders of Hanover Cheddar Cheese Pretzel Pieces. I gotta tell ya, I'm in love with these guys -- crunchy, salty, cheesy and (aside from a bit too much sodium) not really a nutritional abomination. Give 'em a try. You'll thank me later.
    That's strange -- I've tried Snyders of Hanover pretzel pieces, in Chedder and in a few other flavors, and found them to have very little flavor. I'm not sure there was any salt in them at all -- I'm certainly not one for over-salting food, I normally don't add any salt to finished food and go a bit light with it when cooking. Perhaps I've been in the unusual position of getting bags from goofed up production runs.

    Peanut butter -- perhaps the greatest food ever invented. A spoonful of peanut butter makes for a great snack by itself, not to mention peanut butter on a slice of bread and peanut butter and celery.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; October 1, 2011 at 08:36pm.

  7. #7
    Casual Fan slackrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,586
    I'm not much into sweets or candy but these chips (specifically the sea salt and cracked pepper)...


    and these little sandwich snack packs


    totally rock my socks
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

    If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

  8. #8
    Heroic Nocturnal Warrior Sleeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    341
    Unfortunately, they no longer make the all-time best ever snack food this world has ever seen, DOO DADS, but I will bug the living hell out of Nabisco/kraft foods until I die or until they bring them back. If you "like" doo dads on facebook, I'm the one with the biggest mouth and who has been trying to rally the troops for awhile now.
    *~*~PITTSBURGH STEELERS~*~*
    *6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS*
    1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, 2008

  9. #9
    Awaiting Spinwit! Swift Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    On a farm, near a road in Ohio
    Posts
    3,665
    Hmmmm I have too many. Hostess chocolate zingers, dark chocolate three musketeers, cheetos crunchy, sour cream and onion pringles, Tato Skins, Pocky and My Little Pony gummy snacks. There's something very satisfying about biting off pinkie pie's head.
    Mattel I demand the following:

    Spinwit,Spinnerella, The Scientists, Rio Blast, Mara, Crita, Kayo, Mermista,


    My Facebook, check it out!

  10. #10
    Born A Monster wolfsfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,083
    either



    or

    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

    and if you get the chance

    Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

  11. #11
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    I don't keep snacks at home, but when I travel there are always some nuts (cashews, hot spicy peanuts, deluxe mix, or peanut M&M's) in my bag. I never know if I can catch a bite between flights or if I'm rushing from my flight to an appointment. I'm not pretty when I'm hungry. My twin teases it's just we are 'hangry'.

    During Power Con, it was all about the Doritos and Kit Kats. I just never walk down that aisle when shopping so I never have it around.

    When traveling with family, rice cracker mix (nori wrapped please) and/or trail mix with craisins!
    Have you tried the new M&Ms with the pretzels inside? Killer!

  12. #12
    Brassy Baroness Judith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,837
    Heeeere's Olesker! Ironically I'm not much for it. In theory I should love them. But I think it's because I have too many fond childhood memories with the peanut ones, the others aren't the same.

    #2 are Peanut butter M&M's
    Dead last are the plain! Can't stand them!
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

  13. #13
    I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hammond, IN.
    Posts
    629
    Reese's Pieces
    Nearly any flavor of Pringles
    Hostess fruit and pudding pies

  14. #14
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    Reese's Pieces
    Nearly any flavor of Pringles
    Hostess fruit and pudding pies
    Mmmmmm, Pringles!

    Have you tried the new Loaded Baked Potato yet?

  15. #15
    Master of DVDs BCI Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Mmmmmm, Pringles!

    Have you tried the new Loaded Baked Potato yet?
    Those are my favorites.

    I snack all day long. Between breakfast and lunch, between lunch and dinner, and between dinner and my "right before I go to bed meal".

    So I vary it a lot. But I always have in my house a few types of chips, crackers (and cheeses), snack cakes, cookies, candy bars, assorted fresh fruits, frozen microwave things (soft pretzels, pizza/hot pockets, etc).

    When I worked in an office I had an entire overhead bin just filled with snack food...

  16. #16
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Those are my favorites.

    I snack all day long. Between breakfast and lunch, between lunch and dinner, and between dinner and my "right before I go to bed meal".

    So I vary it a lot. But I always have in my house a few types of chips, crackers (and cheeses), snack cakes, cookies, candy bars, assorted fresh fruits, frozen microwave things (soft pretzels, pizza/hot pockets, etc).

    When I worked in an office I had an entire overhead bin just filled with snack food...
    My twelve-year old Alex recently turned me on to Pringle's Roasted Garlic Hot Sauce. They come in a burgundy tube and are hard to find. I think they're the best of all the Pringles, though the Loaded Potato comes in second. They're not for everyone. But then I like hot and spicy. It's why I married an Irish gal.

  17. #17
    I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hammond, IN.
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Mmmmmm, Pringles!

    Have you tried the new Loaded Baked Potato yet?
    I think I did, I remember the loaded nacho more. Plus I had an unhealthy obsession with the pickle flavored ones.

  18. #18
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    I think I did, I remember the loaded nacho more. Plus I had an unhealthy obsession with the pickle flavored ones.
    Could be with BP's refinery located near you that pickle-flavored is the only thing your taste buds can feel anymore.

  19. #19
    I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hammond, IN.
    Posts
    629
    Boy you ain't kidding. Fresh air is as dead as disco here.
    Plus I live only about 5 or so miles away from it. pierogi fest is the one good chance to rekindle the palliate in this burg.
    Last edited by Stinkor's Only Fan; October 2, 2011 at 02:18pm.

  20. #20
    cow tools chrisbryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,226
    I am probably going to get laughed at but I love saltines............plain........w/ ginger ale for dunking. When people see me eating them they think I am not feeling well.......
    Is not not licking toads

  21. #21
    Mistress of Meteorbs rhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Lincolnton, NC
    Posts
    3,667
    WARNING: These are not healthy for you at all!

    *Take pringles, dip them in chocolate and sprinkle chopped peanuts over them (the sweet and salty combination is heaven!)

    *Take a Little Debbie Oatmeal creme cookie, slather it in butter and fry it. Place it in a bowl, place a scoop of french vanilla icecream on it, top with a little maple-butter sauce and chopped cashews.

    *Take Little Debbie Swiss cake and strawberry shortcake rolls and slice into disks. Place them in the freezer till frozen. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy

    for a slightly healthier snack, you can mix greek yogurt, neuf chatel, garlic, diced spring onions, and cilantro and spread it on toasted pita wedges.

    no these aren't quick eats, but if I am going to eat even a snack, I like something thought out...
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

  22. #22
    Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia area
    Posts
    2,825
    It used to be Cheez-Its, but then I switched to the Pepperidge Farm Four Cheese crackers because they have real cheese to add to the flavor. Doritos and kettle-cooked potato chips also do not last long in my cabinet...

    Chrisbryan, I used to go through saltines like no one's business. For some reason the craving wore off a couple of years ago. Last week it came back for a moment, though. Who says a plain cracker can't be good?
    Last edited by Sword-of-Grayskull; October 3, 2011 at 05:45am.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

    GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

    If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

  23. #23
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    8,823
    The original Barbeque Fritos:

    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  24. #24
    Eternian Ice Man ICER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    The Region of Ice
    Posts
    2,443
    I've got hooked on Lay's Garden Tomato and Basil chips and I hate tomatoes.I'm also getting geared up for some Franken Berries which should be hitting the stores any time now for the Halloween season!
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior Southzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On The Bayou
    Posts
    634
    I call them my Xbox munchies.

    Tender white popcorn, I don't like buttery popcorn, I'm weird
    Pistachios
    Oreos n milk
    Regular lays potato chips
    Neopolitin ice-cream
    Crawfish/crab boiled peanuts

    Quote Originally Posted by rhea View Post
    WARNING: These are not healthy for you at all!

    *Take pringles, dip them in chocolate and sprinkle chopped peanuts over them (the sweet and salty combination is heaven!)

    *Take a Little Debbie Oatmeal creme cookie, slather it in butter and fry it. Place it in a bowl, place a scoop of french vanilla icecream on it, top with a little maple-butter sauce and chopped cashews.

    *Take Little Debbie Swiss cake and strawberry shortcake rolls and slice into disks. Place them in the freezer till frozen. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy

    for a slightly healthier snack, you can mix greek yogurt, neuf chatel, garlic, diced spring onions, and cilantro and spread it on toasted pita wedges.

    no these aren't quick eats, but if I am going to eat even a snack, I like something thought out...
    Why do I for see these being deserts at an urban restaurant?
    Last edited by Southzen; October 6, 2011 at 09:11pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •