Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about an apology/appreciation gift?

How about an apology/appreciation gift?

I'm not going to list the issues with the line. We know what they are. I can't imagine how many people have been put off of this line, dismissed the sub, or are barely hanging on after all the misinformation we have been fed. So far Toyguru has sent out apology gifts for defective figures.

What about an apology, or a thank you gift for everyone that stuck it out.
    It could be offered to every registered board member. Since some members may have never purchased product, it could be by submission of receipt for anyone that purchased product during 2011 and 2012.

Nothing says thank you for years of support in a self advertising line like a free figure. I'm sure the international fans who really take a hit to enjoy these items would appreciate it
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 25, 2013 at 09:00pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I think that's what Castle Grayskull is meant to be.

Not to mention the sticker sheets and maps and such... Maybe even the discount mad matty prices are considered 'thanks for sticking with it' stuff...

just keep pounding out awesome figures ...despite some setbacks this is good enough for me. .

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I think that's what Castle Grayskull is meant to be.

Not to mention the sticker sheets and maps and such... Maybe even the discount mad matty prices are considered 'thanks for sticking with it' stuff...
    No, castle grayskull is a new product. And mad Matty sales are to move unsold merchandise at a slight discount. Neither of which are free or gifts.

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I still have Teela's a graded Shadow Weaver, Fisto, The Sorceress, a free Buzz-Off for a defect that doesn't apply to me and I'm a MOC collector, so defects never hurt me. I pretty much am good. So as long as the line doesn't die, that's appreciation enough for me.

I'd like them to put their money into better QC. A year without major problems would be BIG.

If we were to get a gift I would say keep the line as it is, that would be awesome.

Other than that, maybe add the perk of $25 figures for Early Access, even if it's only for the first hour or two, then full price after.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    No, castle grayskull is a new product. And mad Matty sales are to move unsold merchandise at a slight discount. Neither of which are free or gifts.
    But Castle Grayskull comes with a free gift. It may not be worth much, but it's free.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Who asks for a free gift... I mean really...

Sorry to the OP in advance, but what's up with all the free gift talk lately? Nobody puts a gun to anyone's head to buy the product.

- - - Updated - - -

The sales aren't slight btw. $22 figures became $13. That's a pretty awesome deal if you ask me.

Do you really need another Mer Man? LOL

Kidding. I wouldn't go so far as a gift, but I would love some geeky stuff for sub holders and I wouldn't mind paying a little bit for them. Like cardboard display dioramas of the Fright Zone, Whispering Woods, the Palace, etc. Stupid stuff like that goes a long way and it's easy to make.

Evil Master of Fluffiness skullking's Avatar
    Despite a few potholes here and there, we have a really cool He-man line. I'm pretty happy with it, I think some people expect a lot more from this line, and that's there prerogative, they want something more from it than I do. I really don't think we need more gifts though. The one for the problems with Frosta or whatever was REALLY excessive in my opinion. The fact that they will take a chance every once and awhile and do things like Castle Greyskull & Granamyr is good enough for me.

I'm not going to list the issues with the line. We know what they are. I can't imagine how many people have been put off of this line, dismissed the sub, or are barely hanging on after all the misinformation we have been fed. So far Toyguru has sent out apology gifts for defective figures.

What about an apology, or a thank you gift for everyone that stuck it out.
    It could be offered to every registered board member. Since some members may have never purchased product, it could be by submission of receipt for anyone that purchased product during 2011 and 2012.

Nothing says thank you for years of support in a self advertising line like a free figure. I'm sure the international fans who really take a hit to enjoy these items would appreciate it
    Didn't we just get a free figure?

On top of that isn't the sub exclusive 'FREE' for subscribing every year? Do they charge us when we sign up or is it just a card check to see if funds are in it? I can't remember.
    Last edited by AuraBoyX; January 25, 2013 at 11:02pm.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post

On top of that isn't the sub exclusive 'FREE' for subscribing every year? Do they charge us when we sign up or is it just a card check to see if funds are in it? I can't remember.
    We do get charged for the sub figure so it's not free. But we did just get a free figure! To be honest... I'd rather they make up for past mistakes by not making them again! That'd make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    Who asks for a free gift... I mean really...
    yourself.

Sub figures are not free. And this is not just for sub holders. If your not keen on the idea, why not just move on? There are fans who perhaps feel a little generosity is due.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 25, 2013 at 11:33pm.

No, asking for free stuff is just greedy.

Besides, Mattel already gave subscribers a free figure. And maps. And stickers. Actually they give out too much free stuff already.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think it is "greedy" at all. That's not even a fair statement. All it does is show some good will for the ongoing mistakes and creates further brand loyalty. In the industry you would refer to this as a "loss leader".

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    If toy companies gave away free stuff every time there was a problem within the company/line/distribution, toys would no longer be made....

Mattel has been more than generous during the life of this line - A line that is made by fans of MotU for fans of MotU. I "suffer" through all of the hiccups because I love this line, not because I think we will be compensated for the hiccups...
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Court Magician
    Why does everyone always think they're entitled to a free gift for everything? If a figure is defective, exchange it. If the QC doesn't uphold to your standards, return it for a refund. If you have a complaint, voice it. If you aren't satisfied with a toy line, stop buying it.

Philosophical opinions aside. We all know the line is struggling and we're trying to get to as many remaining heavy hitter characters as possible, how is it a good idea for the brand to start giving stuff away for free? They did it once as a really good gesture, and a lot of people complained about the free figure they did get. How is it a good idea to do it again? Mattel will ensure future sales by releasing fan demanded characters, good will is great, but it's gravy, nothing more and nothing less. I just don't see where a line, where every sub counts, has the resources to start giving stuff away for free. I understand where you're coming from in theory, but it's just not something that I, as a collector and loyal customer, agree with.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    "Gimme free stuff!"

I am holding my tongue with regard to guessing the political leanings of those of that opinion...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    "Gimme free stuff!"

I am holding my tongue with regard to guessing the political leanings of those of that opinion...
    And vice-versa for all those who go for the throat just because someone expresses an opinion that falls outside of the domain of capitalist logic.

Quote Originally Posted by richalot View Post
    Why does everyone always think they're entitled to a free gift for everything? If a figure is defective, exchange it. If the QC doesn't uphold to your standards, return it for a refund. If you have a complaint, voice it. If you aren't satisfied with a toy line, stop buying it.
    QFT

message not too short

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    And vice-versa for all those who go for the throat just because someone expresses an opinion that falls outside of the domain of capitalist logic.
    There's nothing wrong with capitalism. It's just and with less games and trickery that politicians espouse. With luxury items (toys) if you don't like it, put your money elsewhere.

With the constant talk of resources it's clear there is nothing free of charge.

Castle Grayskull is something that hopefully works for both Mattel and the fans. I'm not always happy with QC so I'm hoping they can maintain or improve QC with the price increases

While I'm never one to turn down a free gift, I feel like asking for one is a bit...tacky. I absolutely understand the thinking, however.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    We just got a "free apology gift". And then a large number of people on this forum complained that it wasn't what they wanted, and some posited that giving it away for free was somehow helping Mattel (by letting them "write it off") so therefore the sentiment was nothing but greed from Mattel's part anyway.

And now someone wants more free stuff. Unbelievable.

Let me write the first post for the thread that starts immediately after this "second free apology gift" comes out:

"Well, I just got (item name. Doesn't matter what it is really because the rest will be the same). This is so stupid, why would I even want to get (item). Now I have to figure out what to do with it, I probably won't even be able to sell it and I don't have the luxury of just GIVING it away. I bet Matty is getting a huge kickback from making them, probably took all the funding they were going to spend on Rio Blast, and I bet Scott is lying in a huge pile of money laughing right now. Way to bone us again Matty!"