Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Homecoming!

Court Magician

MOTU Homecoming!

Well I was watching the special features on the New Adventures DVD (Season 1 Part one) and finally got around to watching the interview with Emiliano Santalucia, about MOTU Comics and I had totally forgotten about his fan comic "HOMECOMING"

(http://www.mastersunbound.com/specia...troduction.htm)

I can remember reading it all those years ago (1998ish?) and just thinking WOW this is awesome. I decided to chase it down on the good old internet for a re-read in 2007.

I can't tell you how much I really enjoyed this especially from a post MOTU 2000 re-boot stand point (yeah sure I know I say "post" when we are still getting the odd staction figure and the DVD of the MYP Cartoon is on the horizon but Its BEEN 7 YEARS PEOPLE) Re-reading Homecoming I found it still has a really fresh story and amazing artwork, I really feel MOTU as a property really needs something like this to move forward it needs a definitive cannon, character bios and history to follow and adhere to, but it really needs to move forward with substance in its story’s, sure the 2000 re-boot was great we got a very good cartoon with a decent companion comic book series, some great action figures and statues, but that is just it, it was just a re-boot it didn't really move forward sure we all wanted to see the Horde and how MYP handle She-Ra's origin but didn't Filmation already cover this 20 odd years earlier.

I really would love to see MOTU become a successful property with greater (for want of a better word) depth, it has such a great legacy, with some amazing characters and it has the past success to prove it (hell we are still here aren't we!) but what I guess i'm trying to say is wouldn't it be great to walk into your local comic book store, or switch on the TV and see a new MOTU story with all the characters we know and love with depth "HOMECOMING". IDW's current work with the Transformers comic book series is also a great example they have managed to work with the existing property and various cannons to produce a fine body of work not necessarily out to get new fans (they’ll leave that to the movie and new cartoon series) but to keep the brand alive for the fans it already has.

So yeah congratulations Emiliano homecoming has defiantly stood the test of time for me and was a real treat to re read in 2007 and is a real testament to you dedication to He-man and the Master of the Universe. Any chance of a sequel? hehehe

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    what’s great is watching Emiliano grow as an artist all these years later. That stuff was great but the stuff he put in the printed comic was amazing, and he continues to impress me with every new peace of DVD and box art that comes off his drawing table.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

that story is cool as hell

Fsmiler

Female member

Is the female member of t he Guardians of Grayskull, She-ra? Someone please explain!
    I like the Story though, interesting how they tied things up I think it makes sense!

I read it around 5 or 6 years ago. I thought it was great then and still do. I wanna see a colored version.
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmiler View Post
    Is the female member of t he Guardians of Grayskull, She-ra? Someone please explain!
    I like the Story though, interesting how they tied things up I think it makes sense!
    She's Netossa

I'm so happy this story is still so appreciated and that it has standed the test of time.. well not the art of course, I can barely look at it now
    I'm glad you guys enjoy it, that project still mean a lot to me and it's probaly where lot of things started for me.
    Thank you all for the support and kind word about my work.

I also agree on what hulkvan was saying.
    I never really consider the different canons, I just look at the big picture.
    I think the new series covered some of the stuff we never got to see in the classic and that's great.
    No I think it would be time to move and see what happens next.
    Any new MOTU should move forward (or back if we would be allowed to see Preternia, He-Ro and the rest), explore new territories and use ALL the elements we have, NA, She-Ra, the movie, etc.
    If used right, every one of them can add to the myth!

Awesome work Emiliano, reading your homecoming comic for the first time. and all I can say is what an inmagination. that could definitly work, and thats why masters of the universe will never die. because theres so much that can be inmagined.

Court Magician
    Thats my thoughts exactly there is soooo much which could be imagined within the MOTU universe I just wish something NEW would happen things feel so incredibly stagnant at the moment...

Man...that was a really fun read. I've never seen this, so I can say more than anyone I'm glad you decided to share it. I loved the nods to the various mythos as well. The collar for the movie and the organ looking like the comic key. Lots of little nods to be found. A lot of fun seeing all those vintage He-man vehicles too! Plus it was nice seeing the Eternia Towers actually having a battle taking place inside them. Its a huge toy, but the fact is there isn't enough room in there for too much of an 'ultimate battle' but that's what we got in this fan comic.
    Enjoyed it a lot! And the art is perfect IMO. Its like an update to the mini comics. It felt like the mini comic that would be included with the 2002 He-man if they had decided to continue the old series instead of starting fresh. I think this mini comic is a good vision of where the MOTU saga can go. Its a shame the MV comic was canceled before we got to dig in deep to the MOTU storyline.

I think Teela marrying Hiss was cool twist. I've always thought he was a bit attracted to her. I could have seen him in the new series trying to change her into a snake woman again and attempt a forced marriage.

Question though...did Teela know that Hiss was really a pile of Snakes underneath it all? I mean, I don't see how she couldn't considering her marital duties, but I'm just not certain how she was a good wife to a pile of snakes.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Fsmiler

Pop perspective

From a pop perspective then, She-ra lives on Etheria... How come you didn't think of putting her in the story....

Movie mayhem!
    What was this for? When this was made was it just a "fan made" but he went on to create "official" or is this official?

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Wow, I haven't read or thought about Homecoming since 2000. It still is an awesome story........although that cliffhanger left me wanting more. Great stuff, Emiliano, and I can honestly see that Homecoming played a big part in your destiny as a certified comic book artist. If anyone disagrees with me look at all of his work in the MVC MOTU comic book. Volume three was some of the most beautiful and eyecatching work I'd ever seen. Emiliano's kind of art work made me want to buy comics again and brought the fun back in reading them.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

This is my first time seeing this comic.. And I have to say.. the drawing is nothing to be ashamed of I like it.

Wicket

Heroic Warrior
    Emiliano, do you plan on finishing the story? It's awesome. And Hulkvan, thanks again for bringing this back to my attention. I haven't read this in years.

Hey, I was wanting to show this comic to a friend but I can't find it anymore. Is it online anywhere else?
    Chapter 29
    This is an important announcement. This is flight 121 to Los Angeles. If your travel plans today do not include Los Angeles, now would be a perfect time to disembark.

I'd like to see it as well
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Weird, I only noticed this morning MastersUnbound is down. I will have to contact my administrator. The comic isn't online anywhere else unfortunately (unless someone had stolen it )
    More reasons for me to rush and repost it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Weird, I only noticed this morning MastersUnbound is down. I will have to contact my administrator. The comic isn't online anywhere else unfortunately (unless someone had stolen it )
    Maybe it could find some nice little corner in the Org?

yay!

I was told MastersUnbound will be back online within today though, they were just doing some maintenance

I was told MastersUnbound will be back online within today though, they were just doing some maintenance
    Awesome news, Emiliano! I have great memories of reading this, back before even the commermorative series. It was great to see so much love and care going into "MotU", at a time when the property was dormant at Mattel. I can remember in the 90s during my High School years thinking that I was the only person on earth who still card about "MotU", than I discovered the net. Every so often I enjoy re-reading "Homecoming".

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    agreed homecoming was got me back into the brand and brought to here.

yes it is to blame

though i must admit and maybe its been told but i always wondered what caused he-man and skeletor to become "partners"
    Last edited by the_ultimate_evil; September 15, 2011 at 12:04pm.
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Such great memories! This was one of the first things I read when I re-entered He-man fandom and just thought it was so phenomenal. I still like the use of the rich, large areas of black. There's this wonderful solidity to everything that I kind of missed in the 200X stuff - though if I remember correctly that was a purposeful style shift to kind of match the look of brand at the time, right?

That was a really great story. I loved the twists and turns in it, things I never would've expected to happen happened.