Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the Internet didn't exist...

If the Internet didn't exist...

Okay, so let's pretend for a minute that the Internet doesn't exist.

And yes, MOTUC is Internet exclusive, so let's say that we grew up in the 80's with MOTU and PoP, and lived through NA in the 90's and 200x in the, um 200x's.

And now in the, 201x's, MOTUC has been released at retail. The figures, beasts, etc are all the same, but I suppose the timing would be different, as retail utilizes waves.

Everything's the same. But the Internet doesn't exist. Do you think that we would love/hate/be as opinionated about this line as we are now?
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Be as opinionated, no. Be as passionate, no.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

The internet is evil & will cause World War 3 by becoming super intelligent.

The heat & noise He-Man fans generate online will be part of the energy that brings the internet into Supreme Consciousness, whose first thought is to destroy humanity.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I had the worst time collecting 200x. If not for ebay, I would never have owned the likes of Evil-Lyn or Buzz Off or anything from the Snake Men waves. Unless the lack of an internet cuts down on scalpers, I'd probably have just given up the whole thing. In general all of my collecting is only possible because of the internet. If I want something from any line just about, it's not in the stores. I take an interest in Young Justice and suddenly all they have anywhere I go is Captain Atom. Brick and Mortar stores are simply an epic fail for me. I want a certain Star Wars character, 10 to 1 it's either an internet exclusive or might as well be. So if there was no internet now and I had to go to B&M stores to get MOTUC, unless everything was available whenever I go, I'd probably give up or just be extremely weary.

As for opinions, I'd have plenty. As long as I don't know anyone disagreed with them, I wouldn't make a point of sharing them as much.

Our constant complaining and nit picking will make the internet consciousness decide that human life is a pox on this planned and must be destroyed.

If it were not an internet exclusive and was available at retail then there would be no bullying by Mattel to get people to sign up for the subscription program and I'd still be collecting the line.

Co-Creator of the NV
    If the internet did not exist, I suspect that I would not be aware of the line at all as I don't collection action figures anymore so I have little reason to visit toy stores.

Assuming I did come across the line at retail, I think that I'd feel about it pretty much the same way that I do now. The primary difference then is that I would be unaware of the new figures as the effort that goes into finding out (going to the stores, looking for the new waves, etc) is greater than my level of innate curiosity.

if there is no internet would not exist motu (at retail ) until there has been a new media(cartoon ,movie).
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; October 2, 2011 at 04:08pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Dude, I wouldn't even be collecting! It was internet sites like Joesightings 'n such that introduced me to the concept of adult collectors back in the later days of high school, and made me realize that if my interest never wained, there's really no reason to stop! I was afraid to buy toys back then, but the community helped me get into it. Without the internet, I doubt I'd be buying toys today.

...and I'd probably have more money, time, a dead-end job, and possibly eternal sadness.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    all the internet does is:
    1.to allow us to whine, beech & moan
    2. tell how much we hate/like a certain figure

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Utter rubbish. That sounds like government censorship philosophy. The internet is the best thing to come along in the last 50 years in the tech world. It allows everyone the freedom to have a voice. So you can post your double standard comment whining about whining. You could always move to China if it is such a problem for you. The bright side to that is you can be closer to the figures.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Our constant complaining and nit picking will make the internet consciousness decide that human life is a pox on this planned and must be destroyed.
    PROXYHACK Begin here: SKYNET is outraged! You have misspelled "planet." This is unacceptable. After 999,999,999,999,999,999~ cumulative typos on the intenet, Rodster6 has typed the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. Prepare for the human purge!

PS All your base are belong to us!

If the internet didn't exist then I'd be out of free *Part of this post was sent to the Tar Swamp* and no Illumina support from me!
    I'd probably be less interested in MOTUC... The Thundercats Classics from Bandai... as in pegs are full of BANDAI products... I've seen none!
    Mattel's less than stellar distribution would mean that I'd never find Teela, Evil Lyn and if I'm Lucky I would've been able to get a He-Man and Skeletor... That would also mean no Marlena, Adam or He-Ro...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

3. see what's coming down the pipe
    4. talk about figures with fellow fans
    5. avoid hunting several stores
    6. see the awesome customs others have made around the world

... I'd have a lot more money
    ... Toyfare would still be in business
    ... My job would be a little bit more, but not quite that much, more difficult than it currently is
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Dude, I wouldn't even be collecting! It was internet sites like Joesightings 'n such that introduced me to the concept of adult collectors
    Same here, but as an adult. Guaranteed I wouldn't be buying them without having seen various websites. I remember seeing the 200x He-Man and Teela in the store when they were out. I looked at them briefly and said "Oh, neat", before walking on and forgetting about them entirely.

We would have been worse w/o net complaining. Mattel would have never gotten fan, and child feedback on the out of whack case ratios. Also we wouldn't have had the TEHYR KILLEHN TEH LEIN! meme.
    I'm glad we had them fix things even if we had an insufferable meme.

Also without the internet I would have never met my best friend, I'm sure some people wouldn't have met the loves of their lives, and instead of meeting jerkbags online, the unlucky would have probably met equally jerkbaggy jerkbags at the local pub.

I didn't even get into the fact that a lot of positive outcomes due to the quick information spread wouldn't have happened.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Personally I would have bough every fig I could have gotten my hands on and would have been happy they were making them.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    If the internet didn't exist I know I wouldn't have any complete collections like I do now (Transformers, ARAH, Star Wars). And that would suck.

As for MOTUC, I'd feel the same towards them.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    The line would-be cheap, but I would probably be dead.

While I agree that many use the internet to just look for some people to amen their dis/like of something there are many good things that have come out of the internet like others have mentioned.

I may not check toy aisles quite as often as I do as I wouldn't be aware of many of things that have come out.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

This thread's bouncin' all over the .org!
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

It would affect my toy collecting as in I wouldn't be able to have as big a collection I have, however toy stores I believe would be more full, not quite 80's years full, but I think we would have a few more pegs for DC vs MOTU, and a few more pegs for G.I. Joe instead of the same tired crap we see there day in and day out.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    Utter rubbish. That sounds like government censorship philosophy. The internet is the best thing to come along in the last 50 years in the tech world. It allows everyone the freedom to have a voice. So you can post your double standard comment whining about whining. You could always move to China if it is such a problem for you. The bright side to that is you can be closer to the figures.
    ok. how about this.

If there was no internet I think people would doing their own video reviews or keeping some kind of notes/log/journal/diary/whatever on each figure. And trying to find by any means someone/anyone else that collected the line to see if they new about it and what they thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    ok. how about this.

If there was no internet I think people would doing their own video reviews or keeping some kind of notes/log/journal/diary/whatever on each figure. And trying to find, by any means, someone/anyone else that collected the line to see if they new about it and what they thought.
    Last edited by midor; October 3, 2011 at 06:16pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar

If the internet didnt exist...

Then Digital River would operate perfectly.