Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread October 2011

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Um... Yes, of course most fans want characters like Ram-Man and Scorpia more than they want Illumina but that's not what people are saying when they ask for this character. People want her in addition to those characters, not instead of them. As I said once before, I don't get how the possibility of making the Wind Raider Pilot from the model kit box art is "what this line is all about," yet Illumina is only wanted by a "small but vocal group." The half-obscured Wind Raider Pilot appeared on a piece of box art for a model kit! That's it! On the other hand, we know exactly what Illumina looks like and we know her backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    I also kind if get the feeling that he may be using this current back and forth to actually drum up support for Illumina, getting some free marketing out of it for when they do finally release this "fan demanded character".
    I'm starting to think that too. Otherwise, Scott could just say "It's possible! Wait and see" and just leave it at that.

I see two possibilities here:

1.) They know they'll eventually make her and it'll be a big surprise when they do it. They're teasing a bit to build up buzz for the character.

OR

2.) They are purposely being crummy about it to annoy the creators of the character and the character's fans.

I sincerely hope it's the former and not the latter. Why not just say, "She has just as much chance of being made as any other lesser known character. We have the rights so it might happen someday!" Leave the door open instead of riling people up.

Also, Catra's Wrath wasn't entirely accurate about some of the info. This is what we learned about Illumina shortly after the comic ended:

Little is known about the blue-skinned warrior named Illumina. It is known, however, that she is a descendant of the Gar refugees that came to Eternia after the destruction of Infinitia and that she was a member of the Guardians of Grayskull (a secret sect devoted to the preservation of Castle Grayskull’s secrets throughout time).

At one point in her life, Illumina was known as one of the strongest proponents of anti-Eternian sentiments amongst her fellow Gar. Accordingly, she was a fierce proponent against efforts to integrate the Eternian and Gar peoples. What remains unknown, however, is what (if any) role Illumina had in the ruination of Captain Miro’s planned union with the mother of Keldor and the subsequent Gar massacre instigated by Count Marzo and other segregationists. Whatever the cause, with age Illumina’s views changed and she eventually sought atonement and repentance past for misdeeds.

At the time when the Mystic Wall was created she was on the Dark Hemisphere of Eternia, which effectively trapped her there. Fortunately, in addition to being a great strategist and possessing formidable fighting skills (especially with melee weapons), she has the power to control light and can even blind her opponents when those other talents are not enough. Prior to being caught on Dark Hemisphere she assisted Dekker in the teaching of Duncan.

Although a heroic force, it has been said that she was very cold blooded. Also, a common misconception is that she is in some way related to Keldor; however, beyond their shared Gar heritage there is no connection between them. Similarly, many believe her mount to be a descendant of the Battle Cats of old, while, in fact, her white-furred companion is an entirely different species that is genetically closer to the blood-thirsty Panthor.

Bikini Teela had a huge following on all boards and wasn't obscure at all...

Since when didn't they have the rights to fearless Photog? Weird...

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...Marzo was an anti-Gar segregationalist (in planned MVP continuity)?? Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post

Little is known about the blue-skinned warrior named Illumina. It is known, however, that she is a descendant of the Gar refugees that came to Eternia after the destruction of Infinitia and that she was a member of the Guardians of Grayskull (a secret sect devoted to the preservation of Castle Grayskull’s secrets throughout time).

At one point in her life, Illumina was known as one of the strongest proponents of anti-Eternian sentiments amongst her fellow Gar. Accordingly, she was a fierce proponent against efforts to integrate the Eternian and Gar peoples. What remains unknown, however, is what (if any) role Illumina had in the ruination of Captain Miro’s planned union with the mother of Keldor and the subsequent Gar massacre instigated by Count Marzo and other segregationists. Whatever the cause, with age Illumina’s views changed and she eventually sought atonement and repentance past for misdeeds.

At the time when the Mystic Wall was created she was on the Dark Hemisphere of Eternia, which effectively trapped her there. Fortunately, in addition to being a great strategist and possessing formidable fighting skills (especially with melee weapons), she has the power to control light and can even blind her opponents when those other talents are not enough. Prior to being caught on Dark Hemisphere she assisted Dekker in the teaching of Duncan.

Although a heroic force, it has been said that she was very cold blooded. Also, a common misconception is that she is in some way related to Keldor; however, beyond their shared Gar heritage there is no connection between them. Similarly, many believe her mount to be a descendant of the Battle Cats of old, while, in fact, her white-furred companion is an entirely different species that is genetically closer to the blood-thirsty Panthor.
    this feels a bit too much of a mary sue for my tastes (just my personal opinion). since not much is 'officially' out/in print about her back story, i hope they take the chance and give her a more limited role; maybe keldor's mother? (if that role is still uncast, i can't remember).

Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    this feels a bit too much of a mary sue for my tastes (just my personal opinion). since not much is 'officially' out/in print about her back story, i hope they take the chance and give her a more limited role; maybe keldor's mother? (if that role is still uncast, i can't remember).
    How is she a Mary Sue? RE changing her into Keldor's mother, Emiliano, her creator, has already said he'd find that change to her insulting.

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kolobosrexx View Post
    ...Marzo was an anti-Gar segregationalist (in planned MVP continuity)?? Very interesting...
    I like where that was going! Not to be a racist or anything but damn blue people! I never liked the "gar" stuff. Hated Sy-Klone's MYP episode, don't care for Uncle Keldor as Skeletor's origin, and could easily do without Illumina.

Go Count Marzo!
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    How is she a Mary Sue? RE changing her into Keldor's mother, Emiliano, her creator, has already said he'd find that change to her insulting.
    does anyone know why he'd mind if her story was changed since it seems there's nothing out in print anyway (correct me if i'm wrong); wouldn't he be just happy to have her as an actual figure? isn't it a bit of leap to already be concerned about her bio... unless i'm missing something about her, i'm not a die hard illumina fan yet, maybe her 'bio' is part of what everyone here loves about her.

If they come out with another Gygor-type character, TG's Illumina argument is absurd and hypocritical. Gygor is not a He-Man or Skeletor concept, nor did many know of it or want it.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

There's a concept sketch of He-Man riding him. He's in the same category as He-Ro and Eldor. Plus Toyguru mentioned Red Beast in the Q&A, so there's your next Gy-Gor.

Heroic Warrior
    People up at arms about all this Illumina talk to me is over the top. Do I want a figure of her, sure, do I have to have it tomorrow? Well no, I'll take it when they get to her. Would I rather have her than other already made figures or soon to come ones: yep, but this line isn't made for just me

Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    How making her Keldor's mother would make her less of a Mary Sue?
    Besides, you're reading her bio, and there are lot of info about her place in the story, but it doens't mean she was going to have a bigger role than let's say a Man-At-Arms or She-Ra. She was part of a plot and created to be functional to the story, not to become the center of it (that would be a mary sue)

Mind you, I'm not getting defensive, I just found that comment unfair

Also, yes, I would't like her to become Keldor's mother. That simply isn't Illumina.
    She's a heroic warrior, a positive character, while I see Keldor's mother as a tragic figure. They are kinda the opposite, so it should be clear why, as her creator, I'd hate to see their roles swapped.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    There's a concept sketch of He-Man riding him. He's in the same category as He-Ro and Eldor. Plus Toyguru mentioned Red Beast in the Q&A, so there's your next Gy-Gor.
    Yes, there is a concept Sketch like that (it can be seen in the Power and The Honor Foundation Catalog), but as Scott previously noted, Mattel can't currently use that art for new toys for legal reasons.
    Last edited by Emiliano; October 4, 2011 at 04:47pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    But he has also said that they are "pulling from all areas or eras of MOTU." What's the difference here?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    but it doens't mean she was going to have a bigger role than let's say a Man-At-Arms or She-Ra. She was part of a plot and created to be functional to the story, not to become the center of it (that would be a mary sue).
    oh i see, when i read the bit about her in this thread i thought that we were getting someone very central to everything; maybe like sorceress or she-ra level - i'm not very aware of stuff about her at all.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Not to play devil's advocate... but reguarding Illumina, I dont care either way if shes made or not, HOWEVER, saying shes not highly requested or known cant warrant a figure.... Im sorry whos Mighty Spector? Was Vikor requested? When did DemoMan appear in anything? Remember the insane demand for Gygor who appeared in....... that carto............ comi....... mini-c........ toy li....... came......
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Heck, Filmation alone is hundreds of characters, 20-30 of which are extremely fan demanded and it is going to be hard giving up a slot to an obscure character from a pin up when we have the opportunity to do characters like Goat Man, Strobo, Icer, Sea Hawk, Mara, Strong Arm and all the rest!
    Can anyone name these 30 characters? He only named 6 (most of which I personally have no interest in purchasing). Who are the other 24? If anyone can come up with 30 Filmation characters that 5,000 fans actually want I'll send them a free box of Castle Grayskull stands.
    Last edited by Hosed Ovor; October 4, 2011 at 06:07pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I find more annoying the understimate of He-Man.org reach and representation of the fan base. Just by the numbers we know, it's hard to say we're not a big percentage of that "larger overall fanbase"
    SERIOUSLY! I've said many times that we wouldn't have this line without Scott, and that's true, but Scott wouldn't have this line without the passionate, knowledgeable, and dedicated fans of THIS SITE.

Also, there was not more demand for Gygor before he got released than there is for Illuminia.

And they'd better not make Strobo before Illuminia.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; October 4, 2011 at 06:28pm.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I certainly hope that the wings end up getting some colour....GREY?!?!?! REALLY!?!?! If the Griffon ends up being produced with plain, unpainted plastic grey wings I might just lose my mind.

Strobo has been demanded and customized for years. And wasn't it Emiliano who was responsible for Gy-Gor being released when he made them realize Shadow Beast could be re-used for him?

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    He's under a LOT of pressure right now. Mattel isn't happy with the failure if the GL toy line,
    That's kinda messed up--it's not his fault the movie sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    So why is it OK to throw so much hate on Scott's creation? Scott has done a tremendous amount for us. Then he added a new character that is in addition to the existing line. What's the problem? It could be the worst character in the world. Who cares? It's extra and it's nice that someone who made this MOTUC line happen gets a bonus.
    You're right, it's not OK, and I was so disappointed by so many of the comments that were made about Scott and The Mighty Spector.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; October 4, 2011 at 06:35pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I've said many times that we wouldn't have this line without Scott, and that's true, but Scott wouldn't have this line without the passionate, knowledgeable, and dedicated fans of THIS SITE.
    The 2011 Subscription sales wouldn't have been as good had I not inspired Christina Aguilera to advertise the MOTUC line on her online radio channel for free. (the message repeated for months)

Christina Aguilera > Paid Mario Lopez during the 2002 run.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    He can keep verbally alienating us this way because he knows we are so dedicated. We will keep buying the toys.

I would encourage people to write Mattel corporate and bring this kind of language to light. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that he's not wooing the customers; instead, he's being abrasive. That is NOT a brand manager's job.

Scott just doesn't appear to understand the long-term ramifications of his alienation of the customers.

The Org is a major reason MOTUC was such a success, at least initially.
    He has to know that.

He's under a LOT of pressure right now. Mattel isn't happy with the failure if the GL toy line, or the handling of DC infinite heroes or Retro Action (a line that is dead on Mattycollector because the brand manager loaded it with characters he wanted).
    These are all very good points. I think sometimes Scott comes across as the kid that was picked on and bullied and is now in a position of power and is using it to get back at those who bullied him. I almost hear "I'm making the decisions now and we're doing to do it my way or no way." Which is not cool, I don't know how much of the blame does to him for GL but that line sucks, even if the movie boomed the figures could have still be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    As to his rudeness. Well, he wasn't rude the first 48 times the exact same question was asked. Respectfully, If I asked about Scrollos every day, I'll bet he'd get a little short about that too.
    These are no forum questions, if he's tired of answering the same question, then don't answer it. He picks and chooses the ones he answers. It really bothers me when you gets rude and snippy in answering questions that he could have just ignored. If your answer is not productive then what the point of giving it. Perhaps he's never heard "don't bite the hand that feeds you," as the customers we are the ones feeding this line.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    I think that TG isn't a fan of Illumina, & that's why she's not getting the go to be made. If he liked her, she prob'ly would've been made already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    I'm not interested in Illumina, but that's a terrible answer. Oh my.
    20-30 'extremely' fan-demanded filmation characters?! Is he serious? 99% of those wouldn't be any more well known than Illumina imo. And what a way to disparage the org. Why doesn't he just give one of the stock answers like "It's possible down the road, but nothing to announce at this time!"
    Because he doesn't like the character and where she came from so rather then just letting it go he rather be like "ha ha I have the power over whether your character gets figure or not." It's very unprofessional of TG. If he just responded to Illumina the way he does to every other character request there wouldn't be all this Illumina craziness. He is fueling the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    That or my other thought is because she is a girl, he doesnt think they can add her to the schedule without bumping another lady. . .and most of us don't want that to happen.
    The whole boys don't play with girl figures notion needs to end, it's 2011, not the 50's. MOTUC is also a collectors line not meant or marketed to kids.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Also, I heard that at one of the panels at Power Con Scott asked the crowd if they'd rather have Ram Man or Illuminia, and I really think Scott is better than that. OF COURSE we want Ram Man more than her, but questions like that are utter ridiculous since they're very purposefully not basing the release of characters on popularity. And I think their strategy is a good one, but if they were releasing figures in a way that made a question like that relevant, we would have gotten Ram Man before nearly half of the figures we have.

I'm really disappointed that the Griffin's wing colors as shown are hated on so much... I think it looks really great as is, and I feel like having the wings all brown like in the MYP cartoon would make this beast "pop" less on the shelf and just look sort of bland (kinda how like the Shadow Beasts are pretty bland compared to so much of the other MOTU stuff). It's a case where I think they should just go ahead with what they have planned rather than cave to online demands.

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I'm really disappointed that the Griffin's wing colors as shown are hated on so much... I think it looks really great as is, and I feel like having the wings all brown like in the MYP cartoon would make this beast "pop" less on the shelf and just look sort of bland (kinda how like the Shadow Beasts are pretty bland compared to so much of the other MOTU stuff). It's a case where I think they should just go ahead with what they have planned rather than cave to online demands.
    Gray wings are just wrong!!!! If you want a figure to "pop" more on the shelf buy the custom Disco Skeletor.

Heck, Filmation alone is hundreds of characters, 20-30 of which are extremely fan demanded and it is going to be hard giving up a slot to an obscure character from a pin up when we have the opportunity to do characters like Goat Man, Strobo, Icer, Sea Hawk, Mara, Strong Arm and all the rest!
    It would take over two years to release that many Filmation characters if we didn't get any other characters during that time. Based upon that statement it doesn't sound like Illumina is going to be produced in the next four to five years.

Maybe we will get to her one day
    That kind of sounds like a never. Why is this one character totally off the table? Despite what TG says, it just doesn't make sense. Are there really thirty Filmation characters that 5,000 fans want?