Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread October 2011

I am all for a warrior Mara too!!! I didn't know she had that shield so it would be cool if she came with one. It would be neat if she came with an articulated ponytail. Hopefully better done than the Whiplash tail.

Looking at that above cell too, I think the 4HM may do nice job with Master Serbian as well!!

Um - so what is being sold in Oct, Nov & Dec now?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Oct - Icarius

November - Swift Wind, She-Ra 2.0, Snout Spout

December - Demo Man, BG Evil Lyn, Wind Raider

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Oct - Icarius

November - Swift Wind, She-Ra 2.0, Snout Spout

December - Demo Man, BG Evil Lyn, Wind Raider
    Thank you sir!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Lots of new questions are up!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

So there is going to be one or two new reveals at NYCC

I guess Toyfare's loss is our gain but that is a hell of a lot of reveals in a short space of time

We do plan to get to Filmation variants of characters (much as we can do 200X variants)in time but all will be in Classics style, not an animated style. Just to pick an example that works well, King Randor had very different looks in the vintage toy line, Filmation, and several outfits in 200X. So hypotetically we could do any of these looks but all would be in Classic style.
    Ugh. So every incarnation is possible for MOTU characters that never had variants in the classic line, but for some reason vintage POP toy looks are off limits.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Ugh. So every incarnation is possible for MOTU characters that never had variants in the classic line, but for some reason vintage POP toy looks are off limits.
    That's just not right. Not right at all.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    NO way is that right!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

There are lots of new questions. I can't believe that there might be more MOTUC reveals at NYCC! If this is the case, what is going to be shown at Toy Fair?

I just got done digesting the Slushhead and Stinkor reveals!

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post
    I can't believe that there might be more MOTUC reveals at NYCC!
    Probably to divert attention from the Inglorious Spector
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    NO way is that right!
    Toy line POP = Their outlet for expressing their negativity toward POP.

Heroic Warrior
    Where did Mattel ever say that vintage POP toy looks are off limits? The only thing I remember reading are the repeated statements that the 4H decide what look they want to give the figures, at least the first time. Like other unrevealed items, Matty has repeatedly said that they cannot comment on figures beyond x, x being their latest reveal.

Look, I hope we get some more vintage POP toy stylings, but I think we are grossly overestimating the demand for these. If people are complaining about the Star Sisters when they are cartoon accurate, just wait until Mattel starts releasing classic-toy style figures of other obscure characters. I think we have to admit, like it or not, that Mattel is going with the most iconic looks of all these figures. Classic MOTU sold billions of dollars and those figures were everywhere, so it makes sense, in large measure, to do classic toy-accurate looks of the classics line. She-Ra toys were much less popular, and then, at least, mostly with girls who, let's admit it, are not as represented among the adult collecting community as guys like us who were in elementary school in the 1980s. The iconic looks of those figures are driven more strongly by the She-Ra cartoon, which we all watched even though not all of us had the She-Ra toys.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Toy line POP = Their outlet for expressing their negativity toward POP.
    As much as I appreciate the 80ies PoP toyline and respect everyones oppinion, I think that the majority of fans actually prefers the Filmation designs over the toy designs. And I think that Mattel thinks so, too. Which is odd in its own, that the toycompany has more faith in another companies design work than in their own.
    Nevertheless, I´m afraid PoP toyline designs, while not totally off the table, might have a really really low priority with Mattel and if we get them at all remains to be seen in the future.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    As much as I appreciate the 80ies PoP toyline and respect everyones oppinion, I think that the majority of fans actually prefers the Filmation designs over the toy designs. And I think that Mattel thinks so, too. Which is odd in its own, that the toycompany has more faith in another companies design work than in their own.
    Nevertheless, I´m afraid PoP toyline designs, while not totally off the table, might have a really really low priority with Mattel and if we get them at all remains to be seen in the future.
    I'm only using your quote because you were the last person to talk about this here

I'm aiming this at both sides if the argument.

WHY do none of you EVER talk about what I repeatedly say: the POP figures should be a combination of styles/designs.

Look at Bow. HUGE success.

Huge seller too, by the way You don't see Mattel trying to pawn him off on All-Star Sale days, or at cons, etc.

I want Filmation Glimmer with more details. With her color scheme a bit less simple. With her long straight hair, but two heads: one with toy tiara and one with Filmation. She should have her toy staff. She should have her metallic shoulder armor.

The Filmation designs are WAY too simple and a combo design would work better in this line.

I strongly believe that by asking for toy details on a Filmation base, you will get what you want.

Then again, they released Bubble Power She-Ra. We are also getting Glory Bird, whose stand is straight-up vintage prototype style.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

To be fair, we have no idea how many figures they produce per month. They could have under produced Bow or they produce an equal amount of every figure.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I'm only using your quote because you were the last person to talk about this here

I'm aiming this at both sides if the argument.

WHY do none of you EVER talk about what I repeatedly say: the POP figures should be a combination of styles/designs.

Look at Bow. HUGE success.

Huge seller too, by the way You don't see Mattel trying to pawn him off on All-Star Sale days, or at cons, etc.

I want Filmation Glimmer with more details. With her color scheme a bit less simple. With her long straight hair, but two heads: one with toy tiara and one with Filmation. She should have her toy staff. She should have her metallic shoulder armor.

The Filmation designs are WAY too simple and a combo design would work better in this line.

I strongly believe that by asking for toy details on a Filmation base, you will get what you want.

Then again, they released Bubble Power She-Ra. We are also getting Glory Bird, whose stand is straight-up vintage prototype style.
    I think what you are saying is what I want, I just think you say it better than I can.

as long as there is no lace and no rooted hair and they do them like Bow, i want all the POP figures, I wasnt against or mad about the star sisters, b/c i know even if they were not what I would have picked, I know a bunch of people would be happy with them. But after seeing them in person at Power-Con, I am very happy they will be on my shelf next to bow (and snout spout )

I will say this, the pic of Catra going around of the pink and black custom of the old POP figure, looks very cool, though the red and black is where its at for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    To be fair, we have no idea how many figures they produce per month. They could have under produced Bow or they produce an equal amount of every figure.
    well the production for the subs is exactly the same, and they have said they would be fine with just the sub counts
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    In all fairness, Mattel has never said that the POP toy designs are off limits. You are just inferring that.

Plus, I'm not even putting too much stock into the idea of us even getting very many of these 200X or Filmation variants until we actually see some results in that regard.

So far we haven't really had a "200X variant" of a MOTU character that was already released in a vintage design. We haven't gotten a "200X He-Man" for example. All that we have really gotten are 200X-inspired extras and extra heads (with the only literal 200X head being Whiplash's... Mossman and the upcoming Stinkor are gray areas since they just have extra heads that are just unique sculpts rather than being a repaint of another figures head... and even Fisto really just has 2 vintage inspired heads, one of which is wearing the 200X headband). In that sense POP had gotten similar treatment with the alternate heads, etc, for vintage toy looks.

The closest thing that is coming out in terms of a 200X variant is the upcoming BG Evil-Lyn, and technically they didn't get that quite right since they didn't even give her a new dress designed after the 200X look. They just recolored the existing Evil-Lyn, and it's not like the purple clothes look with normal looking skin was exclusive to 200X or anything.

As for Filmation, I don't see there being too many cartoon variants of vintage toy characters coming out since for the most part the cartoon designs tend to be simplified versions of the designs that the toys already have. There are only a small handful of exceptions. King Randor being one due to his clothes (I would expect that such a variant would use the same head sculpt), maybe Clawful and Modulock, but since they aren't exactly A-listers, I don't know if they would bother with them. I could see maybe a blue Hordak coming out. There aren't too many others that I can think of.

So, really, as of right now, 200X and/or Filmation variants of vintage MOTU characters aren't exactly getting some kind of big special treatment that the vintage toy versions of the POP characters are missing out on.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; October 12, 2011 at 02:58pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Who is Mara ?
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

-Chancellor Palpatine

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    In all fairness, Mattel has never said that the POP toy designs are off limits. You are just inferring that.
    If they have no intention of excluding secondary POP characters in their toy line designs, I guess I don't understand Mattel and the Four Horsemen's need to keep repeating that the original toys were dolls and basically making it out like they don't fit in with the rest of the line? I mean, they're always trying to rationalize why Filmation/Style Guide is more popular, and to me that's a definite cause for concern. Why not just say: "Don't worry, we'll eventually get around to toy line variants" and put an end to the drama?

It's just their whole overall attitude that's really raising some red flags.

When some fans were disappointed about Evil-Lyn not getting her 2002 dress, Toyguru, Terry and the Four Horsemen responded very soon after the complaints started coming in and they tried to quell fans' fears. Same thing with Queen Marlena (white outfit).

They don't do that for the hardcore POP toy fans. Ever. There's always some bull to deal with.

I realize Evil-Lyn is a popular character, but it beggers belief that they would ignore the input on these boards for the Star Sisters, dismiss the original POP toys etc. after laughing at the notion of unfair treatment toward POP.

I'm just sick of them disrespecting the original POP toys and being above an apology to the fans of those versions. I just wish egos could be put aside for a moment. It's not like they haven't apologized to fans who are bigger fans of other eras.

Quote Originally Posted by sithjedi171 View Post
    Who is Mara ?
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=208494

I really like Judeh's idea of doing characters with rooted hair for POP's 30th- maybe they could go the whole whack and do a series of vintage toy versions in the MOTUC style as a celebration.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Why would someone care who the orb holder is released with?

That's something that I've definitely taken into consideration, but one could just as easily make the same argument in reverse by saying there's a ton of folks who do know about Illumina but don't post about her. Thing is, these particular assumptions really shouldn't be a variable in the decision-making process, as Mattel's usual method of determining popularity/fan demand is by looking at what's said on these boards. They can't play the fence and then expect not to be called-out on it. Consistency is key.
    there has been an Illumina like forum on the matty page since Scott threw down the gauntlet saying show us 5,000 people who wanter her and we will work her in.

Do you know how many are supporting it? 54 people total out of the thousands who are on the mattel facebook page every day.

I think it's fair to say that lots of people in many forums feel the fanboys of He-Man.org are behind the POP characters like the star sisters that has upset lots of MOTUC collectors who don't want the line clogged with POP females and so now you're getting backlash on Illumina. Many feel the low 2012 sub sales were due to the Star sisters being forced on everyone who got the sub and at $60.00 to boot because many of you He-Man.org POP fans demanded them. I personally don't care one way or the other about Illumina, if they make her fine if not I can live without her.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I think it's fair to say that lots of people in many forums feel the fanboys of He-Man.org are behind the POP characters like the star sisters that has upset lots of MOTUC collectors who don't want the line clogged with POP females and so now you're getting backlash on Illumina. Many feel the low 2012 sub sales were due to the Star sisters being forced on everyone who got the sub and at $60.00 to boot because many of you He-Man.org POP fans demanded them. I personally don't care one way or the other about Illumina, if they make her fine if not I can live without her.
    The people who feel that way should probably take it up with Scott. He just told everyone today that the Org is a minority of fans, so apparently we don't have any sway over what Mattel does.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"