Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread October 2011

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post

Do you know how many are supporting it? 54 people total out of the thousands who are on the mattel facebook page every day.

I think it's fair to say that lots of people in many forums feel the fanboys of He-Man.org are behind the POP characters like the star sisters that has upset lots of MOTUC collectors who don't want the line clogged with POP females and so now you're getting backlash on Illumina. Many feel the low 2012 sub sales were due to the Star sisters being forced on everyone who got the sub and at $60.00 to boot because many of you He-Man.org POP fans demanded them. I personally don't care one way or the other about Illumina, if they make her fine if not I can live without her.
    I agree with you on the ilumina comment, but please dont make this about the POP figures. From day one MOTUC was about all the vintage lines being updated and released-everyone knew that going in!

I personally dont think they should have been issued as a 3 set, but as single figures during the run of the entire line! -but whats done is done.

If people decided to not get subs because of the Sisters, thats their choice. And the Inclusion of the sisters at this point shocked us all -POP Fans as well- But it shows TG's dedication to the 'Mission statement that all vintage lines are Represented.

And at $20 a figure, It all evens out. Cos I got lumbered with Snout Spout,Battle Ground Teela and Hurricane Hordak...Theres my $60 bucks wasted on the sub this year. Different Strokes!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    I agree with you on the ilumina comment, but please dont make this about the POP figures. From day one MOTUC was about all the vintage lines being updated and released-everyone knew that going in!

I personally dont think they should have been issued as a 3 set, but as single figures during the run of the entire line! -but whats done is done.

If people decided to not get subs because of the Sisters, thats their choice. And the Inclusion of the sisters at this point shocked us all -POP Fans as well- But it shows TG's dedication to the 'Mission statement that all vintage lines are Represented.

And at $20 a figure, It all evens out. Cos I got lumbered with Snout Spout,Battle Ground Teela and Hurricane Hordak...Theres my $60 bucks wasted on the sub this year. Different Strokes!
    Don't get me wrong, I like the Star sisters and i'm one of the few who said they were a welcome addition to my collection over on ENI in the MOTU forum. I don't have a problem with female characters, and i'm looking forward to Glimmer, Queen Angela, Castaspella and others from the She-Ra cartoon series. My Horde faction needs the great rebellion.

I like the fact that MOTUC dips it's creative bucket into all the well pools, Vintage, 200x, POG, POP, 200x & NA.
    I'm just saying from what I read lots of people think He-man.org fan boys have been demanding mostly females and some even want doll like POP in the line and thats turning off a lot of MOTUC collectors who only think the females who were in original MOTU belong (ie teela, evil-Lyn, Sorceress) so illumina is catching backlash for it in several forums.
    Last edited by mjw41; October 12, 2011 at 07:54pm.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong, I like the Star sisters and i'm one of the few who said they were a welcome addition to my collection over on ENI in the MOTU forum.

I like the fact that MOTUC dips it's creative bucket into all the well pools, Vintage, 200x, POG, POP, 200x & NA.
    I'm just saying from what I read lots of people think He-man.org fan boys have been demanding mostly females and some even want doll like POP in the line and thats turning off a lot of MOTUC collectors who only think the females who were in original MOTU belong (ie teela, evil-Lyn, Sorceress) so illumina is catching backlash for it in several forums.
    Honestly, I don't see many people against Illumina. People either seem to love her, think she's okay or don't care if she's ever released...but will buy her if she does get released. The people who hate her or are 100% against her seem to be a very small number. The Star Sister backlash is a whole other beast. It has nothing to do with them being female, really. 1st $60 item being a part of the sub = unprecedented no matter what it was. Mattel tested beasts and vehicles outside the sub (as they are also doing with Granamyr), but a $60, untested 3 pack is part of the sub. The other complaints really would have gone away if they went with the darker, more serious toy colours and styles.

About PoP: No one wants doll like PoP in MOTUC. Everyone wants action figures made with plastic hair and plastic clothes (some want extra rooted heads like Megator received and all vintage PoP/MOTU/NA figures with long hair also received). There are those who prefer the toy designs/styles over the simple, far less detailed animated style.

The best example I have is the Peekablue mock-up I made for the Peekablue support thread. Left is Filmation and right is the Toy. The toy has added peacock feathers on the chest, boots and bracelets (I didn't draw the bracelets in). The toy version also has an aqua outline on the top and an intricate "eye" design on the belt and green and gold lines that go across the belt. The peacock feather backpack is also much more detailed.

When people talk about toy designs vs Filmation designs, this is what is being talked about (not lace material and such). It's all about design, details and colours.

Last edited by Darkspecter; October 12, 2011 at 08:31pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Bravo! Yep! exactly! and no matter how many times its reiterated that POP in MOTUC will NOT be Dolls...They still complain!

Oi Vey!

as for illumina I dont have any thoughts on it, but to be honest It wouldnt surprise me if she turned up next year as part of the 'Road map' and everyone would bounce up and down saying 'We fought,and we won' even though TG was just playing hard to get!

[/CENTER]

i must be missing something. if matty doesn't want to do pop, why am i getting 4 pop figures in early 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    When people talk about toy designs vs Filmation designs, this is what is being talked about (not lace material and such). It's all about design, details and colours.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6071/...69d15924_b.jpg
    Bingo! Its all about enhancing the design. think She Ra 1.0 vs Bubble power She ra. The design elements (boots,Bracers) are straight from the Vintage Toy.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    i must be missing something. if matty doesn't want to do pop, why am i getting 4 pop figures in early 2012?
    Whats the 4th??
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; October 12, 2011 at 08:17pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

[/CENTER]

Whats the 4th??
    Star Sisters and Shadow Weaver

Star Sisters and Shadow Weaver
    ah ok! I didnt think of SW cos I think of her as Filmation!

[/CENTER]

No Matty never said they don't want to do POP, were talking about how some are are taking out their POP agression on Illumina because it's been posted before in other forums that they feel "Fan Boys" over at He-man.org are on a POP female crusade and these people blame He-Man.org for the Star Sisters in the 2012 sub.

There are lots of collectors out there who feel it's too girly to have POP charaters in MOTUC toy line and they only want the original MOTU characters they grew up with in the 80's.

While I agree with whats been said here about the 80's doll like look with Rooted hair etc. not belonging in MOTUC's toy line, I do think POP female Characters do belong as they play a part in the Mythos too.

Have to jump in just in case someone with decision powers at Mattel is reading. In regards to the Peakablue comparison above, I like EVERYTHING about the FILMATION design better. (and I had the toy as a kid and never saw the Filmation design until I started buying MOTUC figures and came to He-Man.Org because we didn't have cable growing up and the only She-Ra I saw animated was Secret of the Sword at the theatre and I still like the Filmation design better)

ah ok! I didnt think of SW cos I think of her as Filmation!
    Smiles, well POP characters and Horde MOTU Characters were really all Filmation weren't they? Untill Secret of The sword came out the POP line didn't exist in the 80's.

Personally I'm looking forward to Shadow Weaver in 2012 and I hope to see Scorpia, Glimmer, Queen Angela and any other Females the Four Horsemen can do justice to in the MOTUC's Toy Line.

also Crossing my fingers for A Horde Trooper army Builder two pack in 2012

While I agree with whats been said here about the 80's doll like look with Rooted hair etc. not belonging in MOTUC's toy line, I do think POP female Characters do belong as they play a part in the Mythos too.
    we need a rooted hair pack

I think the issue is they are not doing POP correctly or with the same care they are doing the other parts of the line.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I think the issue is they are not doing POP correctly or with the same care they are doing the other parts of the line.
    oh that makes sense. there's never any complaints about other figures.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Have to jump in just in case someone with decision powers at Mattel is reading. In regards to the Peakablue comparison above, I like EVERYTHING about the FILMATION design better. (and I had the toy as a kid and never saw the Filmation design until I started buying MOTUC figures and came to He-Man.Org because we didn't have cable growing up and the only She-Ra I saw animated was Secret of the Sword at the theatre and I still like the Filmation design better)
    I will be devastated if Peekablue looks 100% like the cartoon. The Peekablue figure is one of the main reasons I fell in love with PoP and MOTU. Her design is so intricate and fascinating to me (still, after all these years). PoP is the main reason why I support MOTUC. If my favourite corner of the universe and if it is never going to get made (toy design or at LEAST hybrid designs like that Peekablue mock-up I made) I might stop collecting the line altogether. I mean, what's the point if the stuff you want the MOST will never get made? It's not like I can sculpt all the missing details on myself! If I wanted Filmation and didn't like the details though...it would be easy to break out the sand paper and paints.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

And *I* have to jump in and say that I JUST WANT PEEKABLUE!
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

I will be devastated if Peekablue looks 100% like the cartoon. The Peekablue figure is one of the main reasons I fell in love with PoP and MOTU. Her design is so intricate and fascinating to me (still, after all these years). PoP is the main reason why I support MOTUC. If my favourite corner of the universe and if it is never going to get made (toy design or at LEAST hybrid designs like that Peekablue mock-up I made) I might stop collecting the line altogether. I mean, what's the point if the stuff you want the MOST will never get made? It's not like I can sculpt all the missing details on myself! If I wanted Filmation and didn't like the details though...it would be easy to break out the sand paper and paints.
    Ok, maybe I give you this one figure . POP is also my favorite corner of Masters and for the most part Filmation designs just really pop for me. With Peakablue especially, I LOVE the darker Filmation colors, and hate the floresant orange accents and the sea green on the toy and also don't really like the all gold belt. I think the flower looking detail on the torso disrupts the wonderfully simple top she is wearing. For the feathers, I hope they sculpt and paint them to look like actual peacock feathers, not like either of the examples above (btw, did you see the new Wonder Woman #1 and the peacock feather cloak some evil woman was wearing? First thing I though of was Peakablue has gone crazy!).

My purpose wasn't to argue, just to show that there is two sides POP love

(btw, did you see the new Wonder Woman #1 and the peacock feather cloak some evil woman was wearing? First thing I though of was Peakablue has gone crazy!).
    I'll have to look that up!

My purpose wasn't to argue, just to show that there is two sides POP love
    I know. I really hate that there's a PoP design divide! I think it would be amazing if they could make all future PoP sort of like Queen Marlena and Bubble Power She-Ra:

- detailed boots and bracelet designs of the toys (like Bubble Power She-Ra/She-Ra 2.0 has the detailed boots and bracelets from the toys)
    - TWO sets of removable clothes so you can make the Toy OR Filmation look (the ladies don't have many accessories as it is and I would prefer this over ANY future comb/weapon hybrid! ).

Obviously this won't work for some characters (ex. Queen Angella, flesh legs vs light bluish legs and Castaspella who's completely opposite coloured). Those characters can be a variant later on. For Glimmer...honestly, I will take blue legs if I can get the two-in-one figure.

Castaspella is an easy one though. Filmation colours = Castaspella. Toy colours = Allepsatsac (her evil cousin who is identical, just opposite colours). This works because in the U.K. books and some other foreign media and advertisements, toy coloured Castaspella worked with Catra and Entrapta. In the Golden Book, Allepsatsac was her evil, doppelganger cousin. Makes sense!

Even though I prefer the Toy designs and colours, if Mattel makes them like this I will for sure buy two of each PoP figure to have Filmation AND Toy styled characters in my display (as a thank you to Mattel and the 4H for the Toy PoP love). I can't speak for everyone, but Mattel would be selling me TWICE the amount of product doing this. Never getting any Toy designed PoP (or even hybrid)...I really don't know if I will continue to collect the line. I'm not trying to be a "diva" or anything about it. I just really don't know. That's 20+ figures I won't be very happy with (not including the horses). When we get ladies outside of She-Ra or Catra I might have some tough decisions to make. The Star Sisters were a unique situation, so I don't count them right now...but their colours and missing pieces don't give me high hopes.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; October 13, 2011 at 12:20am.

Oh, Darkspecter, how you and I are on opposite sides of the same coin. I will be devastated if Peekablue looks 100% like the toy. It is funny 'cause I understand everything you say in that post, but from the other side.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    Oh, Darkspecter, how you and I are on opposite sides of the same coin. I will be devastated if Peekablue looks 100% like the toy. It is funny 'cause I understand everything you say in that post, but from the other side.
    At least that's one other person who supports the "Queen Marlena" two-in-one idea then! I really think it solves all the problems and would make everyone (in general) happy! More display options = pure win (like Fisto, for example).
    Last edited by Darkspecter; October 12, 2011 at 10:25pm.

- TWO sets of removable clothes so you can make the Toy OR Filmation look (the ladies don't have many accessories as it is and I would prefer this over ANY future comb/weapon hybrid! ).
    I LOVE this idea!!!

This a thousand times!

markatisu scores another Nomination for Mod of the year!

[/CENTER]

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayor View Post
    The people who feel that way should probably take it up with Scott. He just told everyone today that the Org is a minority of fans, so apparently we don't have any sway over what Mattel does.
    Which seems odd no matter how you break it down.

He-Man.org has probably the biggest concentration of he-man/she-ra fans on the internet, at least for the US/North America. While I'm sure some fans don't come here all of the time and post elsewhere, the most you will find in one place is pretty much here.

And even if we are a small minority, that doesn't seem to have stopped them from making certain things based on a vocal minority. How else do you explain the Star Sisters 3 pack? Putting aside the controversy over the designs chosen, this was something that has been demanded by a very small, niche subset of the fandom. I have no problem with the fact that they are coming out, but if it wasn't for a vocal minority requesting these, we probably wouldn't be getting them (at least not all at once in a 3 pack). It just seems like there is a lot of selective logic going on with a lot of things regarding this line.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Bow, Catra and Bubble Power She-Ra disagree with that. I will admit that, looking back on her, the original She-Ra was a bit underwhelming but all three of those figure came out/are coming out in 2011 and they are all awesome, some of the best of the year. I know some people don't like the choice for the Star Sisters, but I think they look great and based on the source they are being modeled after, they were done with great care. Whether or not some people disagree with the source on those is a whole different story.

I think they have found their stride with PoP and I cannot wait to see the next one.

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    yeah they are all great but catra was done wrong she looks more like the cartoon than the original figure or card art. bow has a mix to him, but still not completely done right either.

i haven't had a chance to compare bubble power she-ra so i can't say just yet.

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback