Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread October 2011

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    One note on the POP characters in general is that for MOTUC we are treating them as action figures, not dolls. So when we look at the vintage POP toys (which were dolls) we try to imagine how the POP girls would have looked had they been done instead as female action figures in the MOTU vintage line (like Teela or Sorceress etc...) and update them into Classics figures (rather then update the dolls).
    Then...they can look at the card back art, like they do for MOTU! They can also look at the She-Ra commercial where all the characters are "Filmation-like" but are the toy designs. There is also the PoP mini-comics they can look at.

Cel art from the commercial in the YouTube video:

Both NA and POP have to be formatted into MOTUC "the classics machine" or whatever TG calls is. But first they have to be formatted through the vintage MOTU machine. NA figures had very different bodies then MOTU so they have to be first translated into what that character would have looked like if he was in the vintage MOTU line (shared parts and all) then he would need to be updated for MOTUC in the "classics machine." The same is ture of POP, they need to be MOTU vintagized, meaning they would have looked like Teela and Evil Lyn then made into the classics formate. Thais is exactly what we've been getting.
    NA is the exact same design on a beefier body. They aren't getting the cartoon designs. That's only PoP.

Ask yourself the following:
    What would (insert POP character here) have looked like if she had been made in the original MOTU line instead of Teela?
    Card back art. NONE of the MOTU figures look like their Filmation counterparts. So, PoP card back art. Seriously. There's even a MOTU advertisement where the Teela figure is basically on a She-Ra body. So, the PoP figures were based off of the MOTU figures. The Teela body was probably a prototype and they went with that style of body for PoP. Makes sense to me. *shrugs*

I think SCB was talking the scale of the figures more then the cloth. Teela and She-ra looked nothing alike even if you removed all the cloth. They were totally different style of figures just like NA was.
    I think my above statement goes with this.

Again though, doing the "Queen Marlena" two outfits in one idea would solve all the problems and (I think) make the most people happy. The characters that can't be done in the two-in-one style (Castaspella, Queen Angella, etc) should be released as variants. If they did this, I would just be able to sit back and enjoy all the awesomeness the MOTUC PoP females are (while buying two of every PoP figure ).

Teela pic I was referring to:

Last edited by Darkspecter; October 13, 2011 at 04:08pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I'm a huge POP fan and I love both the Cartoon and the original toy line. So far I've been very happy with all the figures (particuarly now were getting She-Ra 2.0).

Bow, Adora and Catra are great and as much as I love the vintage toy Catra, Horde Filmation Catra is the Catra I really wanted.

Bubble Power She-ra, Swifty, Shadow Weaver and the Star Sisters all look great to me also.

Instead of constantly bringing up the vintage toys VS filmation/style giude looks I honestly think some of my fellow POP fans should just accept were getting Filmation POP designs on the whole and get over it.

I'm more unhappy with the fact that the line has been going since November/December 2008 and we still don't have Glimmer, Castaspella and Frosta yet. Now that's something we as POP fans should be complaining about.
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Mermista : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : Spinnerella

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Then...they can look at the card back art, like they do for MOTU! They can also look at the She-Ra commercial where all the characters are "Filmation-like" but are the toy designs. There is also the PoP mini-comics they can look at.
    Seriously. There's such a double standard and it's gross.

Carnivus can have an elaborate draping loincloth, King Grayskull can have flocked fur on his cape, most fans don't have a problem with Marlena's dress...but somehow the outfits on toy line POP don't fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    I'm a huge POP fan and I love both the Cartoon and the original toy line. So far I've been very happy with all the figures (particuarly now were getting She-Ra 2.0).

Bow, Adora and Catra are great and as much as I love the vintage toy Catra, Horde Filmation Catra is the Catra I really wanted.

Bubble Power She-ra, Swifty, Shadow Weaver and the Star Sisters all look great to me also.

Instead of constantly bringing up the vintage toys VS filmation/style giude looks I honestly think some of my fellow POP fans should just accept were getting Filmation POP designs on the whole and get over it.

I'm more unhappy with the fact that the line has been going since November/December 2008 and we still don't have Glimmer, Castaspella and Frosta yet. Now that's something we as POP fans should be complaining about.
    I know what you mean. I, too, hate the TOY vs FILMATION debates (PoP or MOTU). I always take part in them though (and sometimes start them by accident), because I care so deeply about PoP. Doing PoP like Queen Marlena should make the most people happy though, I believe. No more either or...it's BOTH!

I don't hate Filmation by any means (I absolutely LOVE the cartoons) and I don't want to deny anyone the figures they want (so I apologize if I have ever come off that way). I do prefer the toy look details and design overall, but I know they can give us both in one figure. An extra top and skirt (or pants) is probably a lot cheaper than making a new comb/spear or comb/crossbow and another accessory and I think it would be a LOT more appreciated by the fans (after seeing all the hate for Catra's comb/whip which I too, do not like).

Comb-axes can be repainted and put in future Weapons Paks. So could shields or the She-Ra sword which was pictured on the card back with Netossa and Spinnerella. This would also generate more revenue from customers by getting us to buy more Weapons Paks. It would cost the same (or more) to make new weapons than to make two outfits (especially because the women share tops ). If they do the clothes route, they make more money though. If they go with weapons, the ladies should be coming with the shield and comb-axe which means they can't get us to buy an extra Weapons Pak.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    So tell me, how would you describe the Character of Peakblue then? Since I've only seen a few minutes if her in a cartoon and don't even remember her mini comic, if I take away her visual, she is nothing to me. . . so maybe I don't like the character. . . even if I'd LOVE to have a toy of her.
    If your asking me, I would describe Peekablue as soft spoken, passive female character has the gift/power to see the future and great distances through her minds eye. Who joined the rebellion only after being kidnapped by the Hoard and forced to use her gifts to add there tyranny. No physical description only her character.

http://darah.com/she-ra/images/img/entrapta/6.gif
    http://darah.com/she-ra/images/img/dtrouble/3.gif
    http://darah.com/she-ra/images/img/peekablue/3.gif

Cel art from the commercial in the YouTube video:

http://www.rubberslug.com/user/b6f03...commerical.jpg

NA is the exact same design on a beefier body. They aren't getting the cartoon designs. That's only PoP.

Card back art. NONE of the MOTU figures look like their Filmation counterparts. So, PoP card back art. Seriously. There's even a MOTU advertisement where the Teela figure is basically on a She-Ra body. So, the PoP figures were based off of the MOTU figures. The Teela body was probably a prototype and they went with that style of body for PoP. Makes sense to me. *shrugs*

I think my above statement goes with this.

Again though, doing the "Queen Marlena" two outfits in one idea would solve all the problems and (I think) make the most people happy. The characters that can't be done in the two-in-one style (Castaspella, Queen Angella, etc) should be released as variants. If they did this, I would just be able to sit back and enjoy all the awesomeness the MOTUC PoP females are (while buying two of every PoP figure ).

Teela pic I was referring to:

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/publi...omicfrench.jpg
    I'm not trying to argue with any one I just applying some logic to what TG said. I just want us to get the characters we all like despite what "look" they use. Although I prefer the Filmation looks with a some added details or removable toy fashions, I would still by the characters I like to add to my collection. If they were 100% toy designs I would not like their look as much but I would still like the character and the figure and I would not quit the line as a whole, that's just crazy to me. This is a new line and I want something different, I love the vintage lines. I don't mean this to be snarky but if people want the vintage look for any of the figures why not just buy the vintage figure? Just how I look at it.
    Last edited by Son of Keldor; October 13, 2011 at 06:23pm. Reason: quotes w/ attached youtube video
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Seriously. There's such a double standard and it's gross.

Carnivus can have an elaborate draping loincloth, King Grayskull can have flocked fur on his cape, most fans don't have a problem with Marlena's dress...but somehow the outfits on toy line POP don't fit in.
    I dont really have a problem with their design, i just want no soft goods on any more my MOTUC figures, POP or not

I dig the card back art posted above
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I don't mean this to be snarky but if people want the vintage look for any of the figures why not just buy the vintage figure? Just how I look at it.
    Because folks want to see their favorite parts of the property translated into MOTUC figures. The above statement could be applied to every era. heheh

Why can't we just TAKE TURNS? Sprinkle in some classic POP toy designs once in awhile? I have absolutely no problem with getting Filmation looks too.

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    I dont really have a problem with their design, i just want no soft goods on any more my MOTUC figures, POP or not

I dig the card back art posted above
    That's cool. I just don't get the people who think that giving POP figures their toy line outfits IN SOFT PLASTIC is something out of the ordinary in MOTUC. Man-At-Arms has various removable armor pieces and folks generally don't think of him as a doll they're playing dress-up with. If anything, toy line POP designs would look more warrior-like fantasy to me in MOTUC form.
    Last edited by Tallstar; October 13, 2011 at 04:38pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

That's cool. I just don't get the people who think that giving POP figures their toy line outfits IN SOFT PLASTIC is something out of the ordinary in MOTUC. Man-At-Arms has various removable armor pieces and folks generally don't think of him as a doll they're playing dress-up with. If anything, toy line POP designs would look more warrior-like fantasy to me in MOTUC form.
    While I try to not use the doll argument too me, for me it comes down to the colors used like the pastels and the clear fabric (clear soft plastic in your argument above) that makes me want to think "dolls".

If they were 100% toy designs I would not like their look as much but I would still like the character and the figure and I would not quit the line as a whole, that's just crazy to me.
    The toys are what got me into the line (PoP, MOTU, NA and 200X). I used to watch MOTU and PoP when I was littler apparently, but I had to have been 3 or something...and MYP was not available to me. So, when the DVD sets were released was truly the only time I got to see the cartoons. My collecting and love of the line stemmed from loving the way the characters looked. Heck, that's why I bought Final Fantasy VIII (8) for Playstation. I fell in love with Sorceress Edea's look (colours, design, sleek style, etc) and I HAD to find out what she was about.

I'm not 100% sure if I would quit the line as a whole or not. It's something I will have to think about after the next PoP reveal of a character who appeared outside Filmation (ex. not Sea Hawk or Scorpia). I'm just getting very, very depressed that "any" MOTU variant of a character is a-okay and something they plan to do in the future (200X - "classicized" variants and Filmation - upgraded details) but it seems like we're only ever going to get Filmation PoP and they don't care what the fans of toy PoP want at all.

If Mattel said they will do toy based variants in the future (like they have for Filmation and 200X MOTU), they'll do the Queen Marlena two-in-one outfit type idea to get both toy and Filmation OR all future PoP will be Toy PoP/Filmation hybrids...I would be happy and 100% on board until the line goes ends.

I know there aren't thousands of people clamoring for toy-based designs, but there are a bunch of us who like them and/or prefer them and we're subscribing in support OF those characters. So, something for us would be nice. Bubble Power She-Ra was a fantastic start (except that she's not in the sub ). Two outfits in one would be the best thing in life for me!

I don't mean this to be snarky but if people want the vintage look for any of the figures why not just buy the vintage figure? Just how I look at it.
    I know you're not being snarky (people say this about figures that are "too" vintage looking, like Clawful, for example). I do have all the PoP figures from the 80's. I LOVE their design, but I'm not happy with how mainly the first wave of figures turned out. The second wave have the more slender, sexy body and all look great...but Sweet Bee, Catra, the first She-Ra, Castaspella, etc. have the thick/beefy/body builder looking body which (to me) doesn't look the greatest. I love their designs, just...not their bodies. They other figures are fantastic. I would LOVE to see them in full-on plastic outfits and hair though.

The same thing can be said about Filmation She-Ra, though. She got the plastic hair and outfit in the form of a shampoo container and the figure on the toothbrush playset thing. Why not just buy the toothbrush thingy? lol (I kid, I kid!).

Anyway, I will try my best to stop being a part of the THIS or THAT debates, but campaign for the two outfits idea.

While I try to not use the doll argument too me, for me it comes down to the colors used like the pastels and the clear fabric (clear soft plastic in your argument above) that makes me want to think "dolls".
    I guess MOTUC Scareglow and Sy-Klone are dolls then.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; October 13, 2011 at 05:18pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The toys are what got me into the line (PoP, MOTU, NA and 200X). I used to watch MOTU and PoP when I was littler apparently, but I had to have been 3 or something...and MYP was not available to me. So, when the DVD sets were released was truly the only time I got to see the cartoons. My collecting and love of the line stemmed from loving the way the characters looked. Heck, that's why I bought Final Fantasy VIII (8) for Playstation. I fell in love with Sorceress Edea's look (colours, design, sleek style, etc) and I HAD to find out what she was about.
    I totally get where you're coming from and I understand, I'm just the opposite I grew up watching the cartoon. While my sister had She-ra, I didn't like her because she didn't look right next to Teela and He-man so I have no love for the figure looks. But I do like the characters. There are many characters that have drawn my in with their look/design (as a costume designer look and design are important to me) but I develop a love for them as I get to know the character. I have a friend who was asking me about comic book artists, he reads books based on who is writing and drawing them. He was shocked when I didn't really didn't know anyone who was working on the comics I read. Because to me I read a comic for the characters not the artist style, some time I like the art and story and sometimes I don't but I will always love Wonder Woman and Emma Frost no matter who draws them or how they look. That why I find if odd that so many people place so much on the "outfit" or inspiration for a MOTUC figure (like you mentioned Clawful). I think his face is a little muppety but I still want the figure because I like the character. Carnivas, Optic, and Icarius for example nice looking figures but I have attachment to the characters themselves.

I'm not 100% sure if I would quit the line as a whole or not. It's something I will have to think about after the next PoP reveal of a character who appeared outside Filmation (ex. not Sea Hawk or Scorpia). I'm just getting very, very depressed that "any" MOTU variant of a character is a-okay and something they plan to do in the future (200X - "classicized" variants and Filmation - upgraded details) but it seems like we're only ever going to get Filmation PoP and they don't care what the fans of toy PoP want at all.

If Mattel said they will do toy based variants in the future (like they have for Filmation and 200X MOTU), they'll do the Queen Marlena two-in-one outfit type idea to get both toy and Filmation OR all future PoP will be Toy PoP/Filmation hybrids...I would be happy and 100% on board until the line goes ends.

I know there aren't thousands of people clamoring for toy-based designs, but there are a bunch of us who like them and/or prefer them and we're subscribing in support OF those characters. So, something for us would be nice. Bubble Power She-Ra was a fantastic start (except that she's not in the sub ). Two outfits in one would be the best thing in life for me!
    I hope you would not quite. I agree with you that doing the figures with a "malena-like" dress or like BP She-ra is the best, so we can each make our own "perfect" POP look.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Peekablue reminds me of Katy Perry. So even if she never had much screen time, or many stories written about her, and regardless of what she wears, I'm a fan.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    How can you say this when Bow and Bubble Power She-Ra TOTALLY qualify as hybrids??? WTH???
    Bow is definetly the 1st true Re-imagining of a POP Figure! Cartoon+Toy+Finesse = Superb figure!

Though I do think the edict handed down to the 4h in his case was 'Do whatever it takes'! Whereas earlier Female POP's were told'If you make her too detailed,They will all say shes too 'Girly'.

They simply were scared of the POP inclusion. But thankfully I think they now understand what the Vintage Toys bring to the table!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Peekablue reminds me of Katy Perry. So even if she never had much screen time, or many stories written about her, and regardless of what she wears, I'm a fan.
    That song is so dirty

Bad News everypony!
    Snake Man-At-Arms will only have one head!
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/9751013027
    We are looking into possible deco changes but I can confirm only one head. This rumor is 100% not true.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I posted this in the other thread:

That sucks. Big time. The original MAA came with two heads and tons of weapons. I really see no reason why this figure can't come with two heads, especially since the helmeted MAA head is already tooled.

Demo Man comes with three heads. One of which he doesn't need. Man-E-Faces came with those joke heads, which while nice, were pointless.

I guess the entire point of this figure really was to be as cheap as possible and save money.

I still like the figure decent enough, but as of right now strictly because of the Serpent's Ring and the 200x/toy deco. I have two Man-At-Arms right so one of the mustached heads will be going on a Snake MAA now to make a 200x version.

Yes, and I'm not sure how to take the 'we're looking at deco changes' comment... does that mean the arm cannon is no longer a possibility too? Not sure if he means they are ONLY looking at deco changes... or what...

I really think they need to put that arm cannon in. Especially if there's no alt head. I actually really like the head sculpt... but I wish we were getting more bang for our buck.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I really think they need to put that arm cannon in. Especially if there's no alt head. I actually really like the head sculpt... but I wish we were getting more bang for our buck.
    After the total laziness and lack of effort that the cheap BG Evil Lyn was, and now Snake MAA (so far in light of this recent news), Mattel is really dropping the ball on these variants.

We were specifically told no cheap repaints for quarterly variants when they were put into the sub.

BG Evil Lyn should have come with a newly tooled dress, and I think Snake MAA if he doesn't come with second head really needs the shoulder cannon now.

I still kind of like him but if they change the deco which was the one thing I was really digging about the figure my like for the figure sort of goes out the window.

See, it's funny because I really like BG Evil-Lynn and to me she's an example of a good quarterly variant. Not only does she feature a distinctly different paint scheme though she's the same mold but even though we lost some accessories (Screech and stand) we gained an alternate head.

Now, we don't really know what comes with M-A-A at this point, but it sure looks like we've lost his blaster, sword and second head and gained... a ring. I guess for some that might be an okay trade-off but for me the ring is a fun novelty item like Tri-Klop's ring that is of no value to me.

When I thought he came with an alternate head (even just a regular M-A-A head - stached or no) it also made sense because he could almost function as a replacement for the regular M-A-A figure for people who didn't have him. But now that's gone.

In the end I have a sub so I'm getting this guy no matter what... but I'm still hoping they can make him a bit more interesting or I forsee him sort of languishing.

That song is so dirty

Maybe. But the girl knows how to dress up like a PoP Idol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Peekablu has more talent than Katy Perry. Katy Perry, while she may be pretty to look at (at times imo), is not very good at singing. Just listen to her try to cover Tears for Fears' Head over Heels. It's embarassing. I've heard random chicks at the bar sing and do better covers than Katy Perry.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

That all comes down to taste. She's a great pop artist, unless you hate pop.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Bad News everypony!
    Snake Man-At-Arms will only have one head!
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/9751013027
    FYI, the first answer I got was from Bruticus saying there would be a second head, and then ToyGuru corrected him, and Bruticus has since edited his original post; just wanted to mention this for anyone who only saw the first answer cuz there was some confusion about it in the SMAA thread.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    FYI, the first answer I got was from Bruticus saying there would be a second head, and then ToyGuru corrected him, and Bruticus has since edited his original post; just wanted to mention this for anyone who only saw the first answer cuz there was some confusion about it in the SMAA thread.
    I also heard the same answer, but sadly, he's only getting just one...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Peekablu has more talent than Katy Perry. Katy Perry, while she may be pretty to look at (at times imo), is not very good at singing. Just listen to her try to cover Tears for Fears' Head over Heels. It's embarassing. I've heard random chicks at the bar sing and do better covers than Katy Perry.
    I hate the way she tries to make words rhyme that just don't!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    So far, Snake Man-At-Arms is looking to be a 2013 Sub-Killer. As if fans needed another reason NOT to subscribe.

Fans warned Toyguru that fans wouldn't like cheaping out on 200X variants when we were discussing 200X He-Man.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress Ninjor Tung Lashor Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Mermista Evilseed (MYP)