Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 487

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread October 2011

  1. #51
    Casual Fan slackrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,410
    Re: The Illumina Answer

    At least he mentioned he-man.org which may increase site traffic. The increase in new people coming here means they will likely get introduced to characters like Illumina, Goat-Man, Lodar, etc....

    So maybe some of these characters who aren't well known, such as Illumina, will get new fans. I had no idea who she was before joining the .org, and I support her inclusion into the line.

    *this concludes my glass-half-full moment*
    Last edited by slackrguy; October 4, 2011 at 08:47pm.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

    If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

  2. #52
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    First of all, Scott, the self-proclaimed writer REALLY needs to proof-read. Though this is more a grammar thing than anything else.

    When speaking, rather defensively, about the use of Photog in the bios:


    It's "Sure, We could have..."



    This is a major point.

    He can keep verbally alienating us this way because he knows we are so dedicated. We will keep buying the toys.

    I would encourage people to write Mattel corporate and bring this kind of language to light. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that he's not wooing the customers; instead, he's being abrasive. That is NOT a brand manager's job.

    Scott just doesn't appear to understand the long-term ramifications of his alienation of the customers.

    The Org is a major reason MOTUC was such a success, at least initially.
    He has to know that.

    Secondary market buyers are also likely a major customer base.
    Scott will never be able to make the Org or it's members go away.

    He works for us in a way. We buy the toys. . His personal issues with the owners of the Org should have nothing to do with MOTUC.

    All we need do is stop buying the toys, and BOOM, yet another of TG's toy lines fails.

    He's under a LOT of pressure right now. Mattel isn't happy with the failure if the GL toy line, or the handling of DC infinite heroes or Retro Action (a line that is dead on Mattycollector because the brand manager loaded it with characters he wanted).
    I think you are reading too much into Scott's interaction with the org.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  3. #53
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,920
    I just don't like that we're really not being treated like customers any more.

  4. #54
    Stridor in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    5,610
    I like it when TG bends me over his knee and slaps me around like a bad little toy collector.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

    MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

  5. #55
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,716
    Wait people have a problem with the wings? I did not notice anything wrong with them at PowerCon. I learn something new everyday
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  6. #56
    Heroic Warrior Dark Sorceress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    apache junction az
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    252 and counting!
    327 and counting!

    the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

    For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

  7. #57
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,769
    I always figured that Mattel was going to limit the Filmation figures down to the most wanted characters, rather than everyone and their mother. It's similar to MYP characters. So far, we have Count Marzo, Keldor, Chief Carnivus, King Grayskull, Faceless One, Zodak and Griffin. I guess we have Evilseed, Prahvus, Callix, Azdar, Beldar, Chazdar, Veena, the Oracle, Ceratus, Kulatak and Dactyus to go.

    I'd see Scorpia, Octavia, Imp, Madame Razz w/ Broom, Sea Hawk, Masque, Shokoti, Plundor, Fang Man, Icer, Strong Arm, Kittrina and Lizard Man definitely making it. I wonder if they are counting Jetlag among that number? If so, add Master Sebrian, Mara, Ambassador Mara, Drissi, Caz, Crita, Queen Crita, Gleep, UR, and the 4 Scientists pak.

    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Wait people have a problem with the wings? I did not notice anything wrong with them at PowerCon. I learn something new everyday
    I don't think it's really serious, but people have been noticed that the wings should have been brown and maybe keep the undersides gray, not have the entire wing gray.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 4, 2011 at 09:23pm.

  8. #58
    Heroic Warrior Dark Sorceress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    apache junction az
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I like it when TG bends me over his knee and slaps me around like a bad little toy collector.
    oh you nasty boy

    the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

    For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

  9. #59
    Heroic Warrior Heli88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    150
    Dear Toyguru,

    Myself and 4,999 other fans would like Ram Man.

    Based on this, I can only assume that he will be the next figure announced.

    Looking forward to NYCC,

    Heli

  10. #60
    Stridor in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    5,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli88 View Post
    Dear Toyguru,

    Myself and 4,999 other fans would like Ram Man.

    Based on this, I can only assume that he will be the next figure announced.

    Looking forward to NYCC,

    Heli
    And I say Amen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    Gray wings are just wrong!!!! If you want a figure to "pop" more on the shelf buy the custom Disco Skeletor.
    I feel the same frustration. Those wings should be brown, maybe with grey highlights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    oh you nasty boy
    If only I could find a girl to show me what a real woman is all about . . .
    Last edited by RockinHard; October 4, 2011 at 09:35pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

    MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

  11. #61
    SUBSCRIBE OR DIE!!! mick4metal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Posts
    1,046
    This Illumina thing is getting old REAL FAST!!! There are going to be characters that are not going to make it. DEAL WITH IT!!! There are some I want I know I will never see. As if that is not bad enough you very small group of supporters say that no one wants any of the other characters he used as an example. You must all be new around here because the names he used I have been seeing huge numbers of people make request for ((more than your 271)) years. Support TWIYWIPIATOW.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

  12. #62
    Heroic Warrior Dark Sorceress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    apache junction az
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    This Illumina thing is getting old REAL FAST!!! There are going to be characters that are not going to make it. DEAL WITH IT!!! There are some I want I know I will never see. As if that is not bad enough you very small group of supporters say that no one wants any of the other characters he used as an example. You must all be new around here because the names he used I have been seeing huge numbers of people make request for ((more than your 271)) years. Support TWIYWIPIATOW.
    we passed 271 we are 300+ now
    and we are NOT saying that no one wants the others. if you want them fight for them like we are

    the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

    For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

  13. #63
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    I think you are reading too much into Scott's interaction with the org.
    I disagree. But then I have insight into some of this that you might not. I don't conjure the hints I've made all along out of thin air.

    But then, on second thought, how does anything I've said in that post relate to reading too much into Scott's relationship with the Org?

    I'm talking about his brand-management style, his acerbic tone when talking directly to customers, and the fact that the Org's members were, and continue to be vital to the success of the MOTUC toy line.
    Last edited by bcrduke; October 4, 2011 at 10:14pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  14. #64
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,769
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    This Illumina thing is getting old REAL FAST!!! There are going to be characters that are not going to make it. DEAL WITH IT!!! There are some I want I know I will never see. As if that is not bad enough you very small group of supporters say that no one wants any of the other characters he used as an example. You must all be new around here because the names he used I have been seeing huge numbers of people make request for ((more than your 271)) years. Support TWIYWIPIATOW.
    I think Illumina has more fans than Goat Man does.

    The main problem is that TG keeps making excuses that Illumina isn't popular when we've had characters who are just as unknown made in the line. Vikor and Demo-Man were drawings that Mattel owns, just as Illumina is a drawing that Mattel owns. Many fans didn't know who Gygor was until Emiliano revealed him. We barely were aware of him to ask for him before he got a figure. As opposed to some fans who have been wanting an Illumina figure since they saw her in 2003.

  15. #65
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,029
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    This Illumina thing is getting old REAL FAST!!! There are going to be characters that are not going to make it. DEAL WITH IT!!! There are some I want I know I will never see. As if that is not bad enough you very small group of supporters say that no one wants any of the other characters he used as an example. You must all be new around here because the names he used I have been seeing huge numbers of people make request for ((more than your 271)) years. Support TWIYWIPIATOW.
    I agree with Mr infamous non-Matty Apologist for once.

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think Illumina has more fans than Goat Man does.
    That's debatable and probably very close. They are both the only characters from their respective books that people want and have a chance of being made. Goat-Man has been known for a lot longer though being in the Golden Books from the 80s. I consider anything from our 80s childhood era more important than anything from the 2002 era in this line called MOTU Classics.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  16. #66
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,144
    The demand for a list of 5000 individual committed buyers for Illumina has made me, ONCE AGAIN, a bit disenchanted by Mattel.

    Heck, I even tried to like Spector. I'm still trying. In that thread where so many people were lashing out at Scott, I, of all people, said that, even though I didn't care for the design of Spector, I still believed Scott deserved the chance to contribute a figure to the line.

    I just wish he were a bit more appreciative of his main customer base. He alienated cherry-pickers two weeks ago. Now he's alienating the Org members, many of which are loyal subscribers. We all are incredibly patient, but we have our limits.

    I spend a giga-ton of money on Mattel products each year. I would like TG to consider Illumina in the same manner he considers Vikor, Demo-Man, the Wind Raider Pilot, Gygor, He-Ro, The Star Sisters, Goat Man, etc.

    Putting Illumina out sooner rather than NEVER does not preclude any other character from being made. It only delays a character by a month. Ain't no big deal.
    Last edited by bcrduke; October 4, 2011 at 11:05pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  17. #67
    Heroic Warrior SLO-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    1,986
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Vikor and Demo-Man were drawings that Mattel owns, just as Illumina is a drawing that Mattel owns.
    Key difference is Vikor, Demo-Man and Gy-Gor were done in-house by Mattel employees, while Illumina was done outside of Mattel. They were also done over 30 years ago. Age and the fact they originiated in-house probably makes them more endearing to Mattel.


    Also, while Scott is Brand Manager, he may not have a say in the matter.
    Now I'm no expert, but I imagine a Brand Manager might be the same as an Editor in publishing, which means he has an Editor-In-Chief above him. Add legal and there we go.
    It's easy to say "Mattel is a huge corporation, they don't care what gets released, so it's Toyguru's fault". But what if it isn't. There could easily be someone above Scott, who may have an issue with Illumina.
    We have too little information to really understand the whole issue. People are signaling out Scott, but in my opinion they are just pointing fingers and accusing with mere guesses and no proof to their claims.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

  18. #68
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    That's debatable and probably very close. They are both the only characters from their respective books that people want and have a chance of being made. Goat-Man has been known for a lot longer though being in the Golden Books from the 80s. I consider anything from our 80s childhood era more important than anything from the 2002 era in this line called MOTU Classics.
    Not always.

    A throwaway Evil Warrior in a Golden Book versus a 200X character who was written to have done meaningful stuff? That's like comparing the barely there vintage Zodac to the "I've actually done stuff" 200X Zodak.

  19. #69
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,716
    OK guys its that time to once again remind you that while we indulge a lot, lets keep past arguments, references to past events of bad blood, and personal insults directed at Scott out of this thread.

    If people can't place nice we will have to take further measures, there comes a point where it borders on ridiculous and its vastly approaching that time.

    Thanks!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  20. #70
    Hero of Eternia zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    12,132
    Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    Key difference is Vikor, Demo-Man and Gy-Gor were done in-house by Mattel employees, while Illumina was done outside of Mattel. They were also done over 30 years ago. Age and the fact they originiated in-house probably makes them more endearing to Mattel.


    Also, while Scott is Brand Manager, he may not have a say in the matter.
    Now I'm no expert, but I imagine a Brand Manager might be the same as an Editor in publishing, which means he has an Editor-In-Chief above him. Add legal and there we go.
    It's easy to say "Mattel is a huge corporation, they don't care what gets released, so it's Toyguru's fault". But what if it isn't. There could easily be someone above Scott, who may have an issue with Illumina.
    We have too little information to really understand the whole issue. People are signaling out Scott, but in my opinion they are just pointing fingers and accusing with mere guesses and no proof to their claims.
    Can I get an "Amen"!

  21. #71
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,144
    There is a difference between attacking someone's character and criticizing his job performance. I participate in the latter.

    No problem. I'm not being snarky. I'm just not a big fan of Scott's way of managing this line, or of his stewardship of Mattycollector and its toy lines. As a long-time Mattel customer, neither has been ideal, in my opinion.

    Best of luck to Lt. Spector and the rest of us. Hopefully MOTUC will last long enough for us to see Illumina and Goat Man and Ram Man and Sweet Bee.
    Last edited by bcrduke; October 4, 2011 at 11:10pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  22. #72
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,716
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    There is a difference between attacking someone's character and criticizing his job performance. I participate in the latter.

    No problem. I'm not being snarky. I'm just not a big fan of Scott's way of managing this line, or of his stewardship of Mattycollector and its toy lines. As a long-time Mattel customer, neither has been ideal, in my opinion.

    Best of luck to Lt. Spector and the rest of us. Hopefully MOTUC will last long enough for us to see Illumina and Goat Man and Ram Man and Sweet Bee.
    I hope we at least get Sweet Bee and Ram Man, I won't shed a tear for Goat Man
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  23. #73
    Spoony Bard davidlogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    4,616
    If you're getting tired of hearing people say they want a certain character in the MOTUC line...perhaps a MOTUC forum isn't the best place to spend your time reading. Because that will never change.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

    A short story of monsters and magic!

  24. #74
    Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Are there really thirty Filmation characters that 5,000 fans want?
    5k would be, what, <0.1% of those who watched the Filmation He-Man & She-Ra cartoons? Something like that anyway.

    It'd be >30% of the NA orders for MVC-MotU v3 #3.
    Last edited by Reboot; October 5, 2011 at 12:13am.

  25. #75
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,029
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Not always.

    A throwaway Evil Warrior in a Golden Book versus a 200X character who was written to have done meaningful stuff? That's like comparing the barely there vintage Zodac to the "I've actually done stuff" 200X Zodak.
    "Barely there" vintage Zodac to the "actually done stuff" 200x Zodak?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •