Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread October 2011

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    That does not even begin to cover costs just fyi
    Keep your logic of this

even as a small company if someone here suggested I make a product I can only sell 335 of, I would laugh at them and suggest they never speak again lol.

And I am a supporter of the lady and her cat, I just think it should be an easy $50 2 pack in the sub. Beast and Rider 2 pack. I see nothing wrong with it and most likely it would have less new tooling than the Star Sisters 3 pack
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Keep your logic of this

even as a small company if someone here suggested I make a product I can only sell 335 of, I would laugh at them and suggest they never speak again lol.

And I am a supporter of the lady and her cat, I just think it should be an easy $50 2 pack in the sub. Beast and Rider 2 pack. I see nothing wrong with it and most likely it would have less new tooling than the Star Sisters 3 pack
    why would they only sell 335 of them if they are in the sub?

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    I think the 335 was in reference to making her an SDCC figure not a sub figure

If they really wanted to do Illumina the sub would be the way to go because then people don't have a choice and you would automatically get the money
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Exactly. Even though Illumina may not be the most requested figure, I can't imagine anyone being too upset over getting a kickass looking figure when the dust settles. It's not like ending up with a subpar character.

I haven't followed the whole debate, but I'd have to think no matter where you prioritze Illumina in the line, you can't honestly say she's isn't cool, right? Are the majority of those who are against her just feel there are other figures that should be made first or do they actually not like her character design?
    Last edited by KSC; October 5, 2011 at 11:33am.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Zodak was an anti-hero, but he's allied with the good guys from his first appearance to his last.
    Calling him an anti-hero is much more accurate. A hero and a good guy he is not.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Are the majority of those who are against her just feel there are other figures that should be made first or do they actually not like her character design?
    I'm not against her, I just prefer other characters, but it's a bit of both. I don't actually like the character design, powers or backstory all that much (that staff is pretty snazzy, though), but I'm sure the 4H could make it look cool. It's kind of like the NA characters for me. I'm not raring to get any one of them, but so far they all look nice as figures as I imagine Illumina would.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I think the 335 was in reference to making her an SDCC figure not a sub figure

If they really wanted to do Illumina the sub would be the way to go because then people don't have a choice and you would automatically get the money

Like markatisu said, i was referring to someone saying that we had 333ish fans on the FB page and that if mattel made it a Con figure it would sell 333 pieces, I am in the camp for putting her in the sub, my world will not end if I do not get her, but she would be an amazing looking set with her cat

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
    I'm not against her, I just prefer other characters, but it's a bit of both. I don't actually like the character design, powers or backstory all that much (that staff is pretty snazzy, though), but I'm sure the 4H could make it look cool. It's kind of like the NA characters for me. I'm not raring to get any one of them, but so far they all look nice as figures as I imagine Illumina would.
    come on man think of all those great pics you could take of her
    Last edited by fireball13z; October 5, 2011 at 11:55am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Who in the heck is Vikor?

I can't find much on him on the internet. Who on Eternia is he, and why do people keep talking about him? I kept expecting to find some hidden wealth of info about some undiscovered MOTU figure, and as far as I can find he was just some picture somewhere... He looks ok enough, but I'm confused where he fits into the mythos. MOTU original? She Ra? NA of He-man, 200X, all original?
    Who in the heck is Demo-Man?

I can't find much on him on the internet. Who on Eternia is he, and why do people keep talking about him? I kept expecting to find some hidden wealth of info about some undiscovered MOTU figure, and as far as I can find he was just some picture somewhere... He looks ok enough, but I'm confused where he fits into the mythos. MOTU original? She Ra? NA of He-man, 200X, all original?

Who in the heck is Red Beast?

Who in the heck is Wun-Dar?

I can't find much on him on the internet. Who on Eternia is he, and why do people keep talking about him? I kept expecting to find some hidden wealth of info about some undiscovered MOTU figure, and as far as I can find he was maybe just a mail-in somewhere... He looks ok enough, but I'm confused where he fits into the mythos. MOTU original? She Ra? NA of He-man, 200X, all original?

Just curious if Toy Guru wanted to use my lack of knowledge and make me a straw man for these figures. Well, just Red Beast anyway. They already made the other three.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lynch View Post
    Just curious if Toy Guru wanted to use my lack of knowledge and make me a straw man for these figures. Well, just Red Beast anyway. They already made the other three.
    Brilliant.

I was just thinking of this earlier. All these other characters could fill in the blank if you removed "Ilumina" from the post.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lynch View Post
    That's quite good. I read the MVC comics so I sort of knew who she was.

I had no idea or interest in Vikor, Demo Man, or Red Beast. Still don't for the most part either. I would have preferred Illumina over all three of them given the choice.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Wun-Dar's the funniest, because unlike all the others...no one still really knows where the heck he came from!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Also, I heard that at one of the panels at Power Con Scott asked the crowd if they'd rather have Ram Man or Illuminia, and I really think Scott is better than that. OF COURSE we want Ram Man more than her, but questions like that are utter ridiculous since they're very purposefully not basing the release of characters on popularity. And I think their strategy is a good one, but if they were releasing figures in a way that made a question like that relevant, we would have gotten Ram Man before nearly half of the figures we have.
    Letīs ignore the fact that Ram-Man is a 100% newtooled figure and therefore coming later than sooner anyway. Where shall we draw the line? If itīs not Ram-Man, is it Dragstor? Mosquitor? Rio Blast? Mekaneck? Spikor? Two Bad? With the exception of Gwildor, Rotar and Twistoid, I think Scott just picked a random name for example, but every 80ies figure will have more fan-support than any obscure character, be it minicomic, concept art or whatever. Thatīs just natural. He could have picked any character and the rant would have been the same:
    "Of course we want thisandthat character first! Asking this question isnīt fair!" - but as a matter of fact it is.

Now with the concept figures I see the difficulty in the sourcematerial. To me, itīs something different saying "This figure is based on THIS 30 years old concept drawing!" as opposed to "This figure is based on THIS rejected proposal". I think itīs the "WOW-factor". As much as I like Illumina and want her as a figure, I see the suits at Mattel wanting to advert new figures with this "wow-factor" that originates 30 years back.

I read somewhere someone mentioning that making concept-figures is not only common, but highly appreciated among Star Wars fans. They know the Ralph MacQuarrie concept art and love to have those as actionfigures. I think this is applicable to MOTU as well, and while that doesnīt rule out Illumina at all, it still implies to release 30 years old concepts first.

If anything of this did make any sense.
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

It all make sense.
    And I love old concepts. Heck, we created a Foundation for that!

But 2 things:
    1: I still think it's unfair to compare Illumina to any 80ies figures. Illumina will always loose. As any other one-appareances charactters only would do.
    The fair question would be: Do you want Illumina before the Wind Raider pilot from the poster?
    2: hum... Wind Raider Pilot (which I want too BTW)

Heroic Warrior
    Itīs okay for me, as long as the figure blows me away...

I don`t like plain figures like a certain purple/yellow guy...

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Letīs ignore the fact that Ram-Man is a 100% newtooled figure and therefore coming later than sooner anyway. Where shall we draw the line? If itīs not Ram-Man, is it Dragstor? Mosquitor? Rio Blast? Mekaneck? Spikor? Two Bad? With the exception of Gwildor, Rotar and Twistoid, I think Scott just picked a random name for example, but every 80ies figure will have more fan-support than any obscure character, be it minicomic, concept art or whatever. Thatīs just natural. He could have picked any character and the rant would have been the same:
    "Of course we want thisandthat character first! Asking this question isnīt fair!" - but as a matter of fact it is.

Now with the concept figures I see the difficulty in the sourcematerial. To me, itīs something different saying "This figure is based on THIS 30 years old concept drawing!" as opposed to "This figure is based on THIS rejected proposal". I think itīs the "WOW-factor". As much as I like Illumina and want her as a figure, I see the suits at Mattel wanting to advert new figures with this "wow-factor" that originates 30 years back.

I read somewhere someone mentioning that making concept-figures is not only common, but highly appreciated among Star Wars fans. They know the Ralph MacQuarrie concept art and love to have those as actionfigures. I think this is applicable to MOTU as well, and while that doesnīt rule out Illumina at all, it still implies to release 30 years old concepts first.

If anything of this did make any sense.
    It IS NOT Fair to pit a fairly obscure character like Illumina VS a core vintage character like Ram Man... (He was a main cast member in both Filmation and MYP... so he HAS a huge fanbase.) I seriously believe that Scott did NOT pick those names at random... He wanted that reaction... He knows how to create more buzz by "manipulating" the fanbase...

Now 80s concepts vs Illumina: If they didn't get made in the 80s, wouldn't that make them rejects as well? The only disadvantage that Illumina has is that she's a 200X MVCreations uh... creation!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I'm bored of the constant posts and petitions regarding Illumina.

Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    Then just ignore them, you don't need to read them

Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    normally I am one for stopping the beating of a horse. but im not going to lie, i really want to see this figure and cat made.

half of me wants it b/c it will look amazing and the half of me wants it for the great MOTU fans that created her a few years back.

I think it being made part of the sub is still the best way, but part of me thinks it would be fitting to be a Power-con/He-man.org exclusive release

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    It all make sense.
    And I love old concepts. Heck, we created a Foundation for that!
    By the way... Did I already say thank you for that?

1: I still think it's unfair to compare Illumina to any 80ies figures. Illumina will always loose. As any other one-appareances charactters only would do.
    True. Nevertheless, the 80ies figures already do get delayed because of NA, POP, 200x, Minicomics, concepts and Filmation. Thatīs why any addition will result in 80ies figures being even more delayed, and be it only for a month. So the question is valid in my eyes. Do we want Illumina before we get Ram-Man? Why always pick Ram-Man? Because we "know" he will come late in the line due to his 100% tooling nature. Mixing in Illumina now instead of later WILL result in Ram-Man being postponed for another month.
    The fair question would be: Do you want Illumina before the Wind Raider pilot from the poster?
    Now this is a valid question, too. But even that would result in either delaying every figure past the Wind Raider pilot (which might as well include Ram-Man), OR putting the Wind Raider pilot to the very end of the line or whatever spot Illumina might have occupied in the roadmap, as in "swapping spots". You know what I mean.
    2: hum... Wind Raider Pilot (which I want too BTW)
    Same here

I agree that Scott might have chosen the wrong words to make his statement. Words that some individuals might even find offending. Nevertheless, I still think his points are valid, regardles of the words he chose.
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    It IS NOT Fair to pit a fairly obscure character like Illumina VS a core vintage character like Ram Man... (He was a main cast member in both Filmation and MYP... so he HAS a huge fanbase.) I seriously believe that Scott did NOT pick those names at random... He wanted that reaction... He knows how to create more buzz by "manipulating" the fanbase...
    You give me way too much credit. So much is happenstance. Sure the line is planned out, but man, it ain't that deep!

Although I am genuinely intrigued by the entire situation, I cannot for he life of me understand the sheer crusade this ONE figure is given. I found out about this line not through He-Man.org but a 1/6 scale forum I used to practically live in. I had never heard of Illumina before coming here. People want her, I get that - but I can completely see why she would be further down the long term line list.

It's an interesting design, and if it's made as a figure then great.. but then what will the complaining be about? Her bio? There seems to always be a complaint no matter how hard the team working on this line tries.

The amazing Griffin mount? His wings weren't brown.
    Shadow Weaver coming to market ASAP? She's a sub incentive.
    An improved, non yellow, Evil Lynn? She doesn't have the 200X dress.
    The original Skeletor? His open hand.

For every person that loudly declares they have an issue with the line I can almost promise there are at least 2 who are happy with everything. For all we know Illumina may be released this year! Scott was still saying when/if for Stinkor just days before he was revealed.

Is it frustrating to not get what you want immediately? Absolutely. Are there likely many legal and business hurdles and maneuvers Scott has to do to get us these figures? I wouldn't doubt it. What I would say is cut the guy some slack, don't read into the responses too deeply and enjoy that a line that a few years ago was written off as dead is back and better than ever.

Court Magician
    I guess I am not that much of a hardcore MOTU fan cuz, well how do I put this,

Who is illumina? Seriously, Im not trying to start a riot, but I have never heard of this character. Can some one give me the update.

More info about Illumina can be found in the support thread here:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184430

To Memnoch's point... I think it's good to view the forum through the proper lens. I've gone through periods where I want to scream "Doesn't anyone like ANYTHING!" but actually I think that's an unfair assessment. If you actually look through the forum, you'll see the main thrust of it is actually quite positive. You have people who have issues with this or that. And you'll have that with such a huge forum. It's easy to underestimate just how big of a community He-man.org is. It's bigger than some general toy forums out there.

So a lot of voices means a lot of different opinions. And yes you have some posters who seem to be obsessed with this detail or that and talk about it again and again. But that just means they care very deeply about it, and that's not bad unless it gets personal. Which is sometimes has, and that's a shame.
    But really things that get the most attention on a forum are the negative ones, because when everyone agrees about their love for something, there's not much more you can say other than "Yep, I agree I love that too" and so on.

But overall I think the forum is a good group who love MOTU and have fun and lively debates about it.
    Last edited by JonWes; October 6, 2011 at 12:59pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    The original Skeletor? His open hand.
    I prefer that one, myself. He still holds the Havoc Staff and can also claw at folks and rant about his evil plans.

Evil Apologist of MattelŪ Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Yes. That's the major criticism toward vintage Zodac--he was barely represented. MYP Zodak fixed that problem by making him a good guy and the major enemy of King Hsss.
    Vintage Zodac aint "barely there" though. He's an 8 backer. He's on my vintage MOTU blanket. He was probably on my ass when I was 4 years old wearin MOTU underoos.
    -=ĪEvilCøuntMarzøĪ=-
    BLÅĮK FLØWËRŠ!!!!