Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread October 2011

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Vintage Zodac aint "barely there" though. He's an 8 backer. He's on my vintage MOTU blanket.
    I think he meant cartoon. He wasn't in Filmation very often, was he? He seemed to appear and say "You have to do something, but I'm going to sit right here in my chair and enjoy my popcorn and watch!"

He was probably on my ass when I was 4 years old wearin MOTU underoos.
    Oh my!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I think he meant cartoon. He wasn't in Filmation very often, was he? He seemed to appear and say "You have to do something, but I'm going to sit right here in my chair and enjoy my popcorn and watch!"

Oh my!
    Oh, I was looking at the overall big picture not just cartoon apperances. Misunderstanding.

That was Zodac's job though. He's "The Watcher" character of MOE TOO. Sit in his chair and eat his popcorn. Remaining neutral is harder to do than being good or evil imo. Sometimes you have to take the side of one or the other to maintain that balance.

Zodak on the other hand just took the character and made him into Mace Windu. Might as well give him a purple lightsaber while you're at it! (yeah I actually used a Star Wars reference...what little I could muster up at least)
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post

To Memnoch's point... I think it's good to view the forum through the proper lens. I've gone through periods where I want to scream "Doesn't anyone like ANYTHING!" but actually I think that's an unfair assessment. If you actually look through the forum, you'll see the main thrust of it is actually quite positive. You have people who have issues with this or that. And you'll have that with such a huge forum. It's easy to underestimate just how big of a community He-man.org is. It's bigger than some general toy forums out there.

So a lot of voices means a lot of different opinions. And yes you have some posters who seem to be obsessed with this detail or that and talk about it again and again. But that just means they care very deeply about it, and that's not bad unless it gets personal. Which is sometimes has, and that's a shame.
    But really things that get the most attention on a forum are the negative ones, because when everyone agrees about their love for something, there's not much more you can say other than "Yep, I agree I love that too" and so on.

But overall I think the forum is a good group who love MOTU and have fun and lively debates about it.
    Jon, I know you from another forum.. and with respect it's not really what I meant. I understand the passion runs very deep.. but it's hard to find one figure the majority of the community has come together and said "yes, this was done well. A complete package" and what I fear is that Illumina will be released, something will be disliked and Scott will (yet again, justly or unjustly) be crucified, even after delivering. That was the point about the complaints. I understand valid ones, but some times they are simply petty. I'm the type that looks not at what I have, but at what I might not have had and it makes me thankful for what is here. Sometimes I think the community as a whole should take a breather and realize we are far better off now than in 2006 when He-Man appeared dead mostly.

Right now we have a niche toy line being made to Collector standards with vehicles, stands, weapons packs, exclusives. Are the colors and sculpts always perfect? Nope. Are there changes I'd like to see as the majority would? Sure! Should we get all upset because they can't happen? No. If anyone has ever followed Palisades Toys and their Muppet line, you have an idea of how things go during production - something I was debating writing up.

The point is, it might be time for a passionate and devoted fan base to take a few steps back and reevaluate what they want from the line and what they can realistically expect. Illumina could be around the corner, she could be a few years away - relax and enjoy the ride though because you may just burn yourself out before we get to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    Jon, I know you from another forum.. and with respect it's not really what I meant. I understand the passion runs very deep.. but it's hard to find one figure the majority of the community has come together and said "yes, this was done well. A complete package" and what I fear is that Illumina will be released, something will be disliked and Scott will (yet again, justly or unjustly) be crucified, even after delivering. That was the point about the complaints. I understand valid ones, but some times they are simply petty. I'm the type that looks not at what I have, but at what I might not have had and it makes me thankful for what is here. Sometimes I think the community as a whole should take a breather and realize we are far better off now than in 2006 when He-Man appeared dead mostly.

Right now we have a niche toy line being made to Collector standards with vehicles, stands, weapons packs, exclusives. Are the colors and sculpts always perfect? Nope. Are there changes I'd like to see as the majority would? Sure! Should we get all upset because they can't happen? No. If anyone has ever followed Palisades Toys and their Muppet line, you have an idea of how things go during production - something I was debating writing up.

The point is, it might be time for a passionate and devoted fan base to take a few steps back and reevaluate what they want from the line and what they can realistically expect. Illumina could be around the corner, she could be a few years away - relax and enjoy the ride though because you may just burn yourself out before we get to her.

Ill say this for Jon, he normally is a very upbeat guy with MOTUC, but I will also agree with your last statement. I have been saying that for a while now, but all i seem to do is tick people off with it and I get called a Mattel/TG fan boy. Just a fair warning to ya.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Zodak on the other hand just took the character and made him into Mace Windu. Might as well give him a purple lightsaber while you're at it! (yeah I actually used a Star Wars reference...what little I could muster up at least)
    That was another reason I never liked Zodak in MYP. They literally just made him Mace Windu. Mace Windu has the "shatterpoint" force ability to detect weaknesses in opponents, etc, and so does Zodak apparently. Very unoriginal.

I love his Classics figure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    That was another reason I never liked Zodak in MYP. They literally just made him Mace Windu. Mace Windu has the "shatterpoint" force ability to detect weaknesses in opponents, etc, and so does Zodak apparently. Very unoriginal.
    Dewd, nil novi sub sole.

Besides, it's revenge for all of the names Star-Wars has lifted from MOTU.

Plus, Zodak's design is much more interesting than Mace Windu.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Ill say this for Jon, he normally is a very upbeat guy with MOTUC, but I will also agree with your last statement. I have been saying that for a while now, but all i seem to do is tick people off with it and I get called a Mattel/TG fan boy. Just a fair warning to ya.
    I'll happily take the heat. I've followed collectors lines since Palisades Muppet line. I know the highs and lows, I know the processes behind development and approvals, I know how unkind the toy industry can be. Having sunk something like 8 to 10 years into this hobby I'd rather be informed than not, that way if I have an issue I don't sound foolish when I address it. This is also why I rarely post - I enjoy my toys, know the limitations of the industry and accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Zodak's design is much more interesting than Mace Windu.
    I agree, it was. I like Zodak as design. He makes a nice toy.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    There seems to always be a complaint no matter how hard the team working on this line tries.

The amazing Griffin mount? His wings weren't brown.
    Shadow Weaver coming to market ASAP? She's a sub incentive.
    An improved, non yellow, Evil Lynn? She doesn't have the 200X dress.
    The original Skeletor? His open hand.
    The MOTUC team isn't infallible in their decisions. The fans SHOULD call them out on bad or questionable decisions to make the best product possible.

The Griffin has brown wings in the MYP show, but Mattel makes them gray?

Fans campaigned for 200X Evil-Lyn because she wasn't a Teela repaint and what do they do? Make her a Teela repaint.

Shadow Weaver could have been a monthly figure that would have made a killing, but Mattel used her to sell subs.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The MOTUC team isn't infallible in their decisions. The fans SHOULD call them out on bad or questionable decisions to make the best product possible.

The Griffin has brown wings in the MYP show, but Mattel makes them gray?

Fans campaigned for 200X Evil-Lyn because she wasn't a Teela repaint and what do they do? Make her a Teela repaint.

Shadow Weaver could have been a monthly figure that would have made a killing, but Mattel used her to sell subs.
    Agree with everything you've said here, Max. If we can't challenge their decisions we may as well just hand them our bank cards and PINs.

I also wonder how they justify some choices. I still find the Shadow Weaver debacle unbelievable and a shocking way to force fans' hands. Of course Mattel fundamentally is a business, but decisions like making her the sub exclusive put them (and Scott) into a bad light, IMO.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    I also wonder how they justify some choices. I still find the Shadow Weaver debacle unbelievable and a shocking way to force fans' hands. Of course Mattel fundamentally is a business, but decisions like making her the sub exclusive put them (and Scott) into a bad light, IMO.
    Just wait until they get to Castle Greyskull....
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Agree with everything you've said here, Max. If we can't challenge their decisions we may as well just hand them our bank cards and PINs.

It's not like they could've bumped off Stinkor a few months to allow ALL the fans to get her... they had to conveniently bump the 2012 sub figure... Sometimes I think that Mattel works in funny ways (not "ha ha funny"...)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Which didn't work by the way. The lowest amount of subs sold so far. I'd blame the economy for that, but I do find it funny that some fans were saying it was a brilliant move to make Shadow Weaver the sub figure in order to increase sales and for what ever reason the opposite result happened.

I wish sub sales had increased though. It would have been better for the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Which didn't work by the way. The lowest amount of subs sold so far. I'd blame the economy for that, but I do find it funny that some fans were saying it was a brilliant move to make Shadow Weaver the sub figure in order to increase sales and for what ever reason the opposite result happened.

I wish sub sales had increased though. It would have been better for the line.
    Of course, one could reverse it and say - think of how many fewer subs there would have been if Shadow Weaver HADN'T been the exclusive.

I think my issue is where do you draw the line between a complaint and a criticism and outright *****ing and moaning? One helps the line progress and gives active feedback, the other makes the intended target want to hit close and never hear from you again.

Its something in Customer Service you deal with all the time, I think though on this board the line gets crossed way too quick and the people crossing it refuse to realize they are hurting the cause instead of helping it.

It's one of the reasons I wish people would just take a step back when they hear something that upsets them. By chiming in with accusations and critiques so quickly I think it gears up the mob mentality quicker then it should.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

You are a wise man Markatisu.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Of course, one could reverse it and say - think of how many fewer subs there would have been if Shadow Weaver HADN'T been the exclusive.
    You could but in all honesty I don't think it would have mattered. I think they would have sold the same amount regardless who the sub figure was. I think the overall cost and the economy were the deciding factors, not the sub figure.

I do think they would have sold more extra Shadow Weavers if she were a monthly figure. I would have bought an extra three or four.

For me, it's an issue of being fed up. Fans have been giving active feedback on certain issues for years and getting the runaround. Problem is, nowadays it seems like many employees working for various companies are more interested in arguing with their customers and/or ignoring issues, rather than asking what they can do to improve.

I think she probably motivated more people to buy than you might think - especially if they were on the fence. The one thing I'm sad about with her being the exclusive is that it freaks me out to think what you'd do should she ever break. She'd be pretty much irreplaceable.

As for why the subs are down - I think it's a combo of a lot of things. For one thing, I think more casual buyers who were mostly into the core MOTU figures have gotten a large percentage of their main wants. Combine that with the fact that the sell-outs haven't been as extreme on Matty and that most figures were available (with a few exceptions) again on Matty eventually... and some of the urgency has been taken out of it. I'm sure the economy, weighed against these other things, is a factor too.

This next year will be VERY interesting for the line with them no longer reissuing characters and adding in the extra 30th Anniversary characters and higher ticket items like Granamyr and possibly another vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I think my issue is where do you draw the line between a complaint and a criticism and outright *****ing and moaning? One helps the line progress and gives active feedback, the other makes the intended target want to hit close and never hear from you again.

Its something in Customer Service you deal with all the time, I think though on this board the line gets crossed way too quick and the people crossing it refuse to realize they are hurting the cause instead of helping it.

It's one of the reasons I wish people would just take a step back when they hear something that upsets them. By chiming in with accusations and critiques so quickly I think it gears up the mob mentality quicker then it should.
    What? How dare you say that! What opinions and critiques are you bringing to the line?

C'mon guys, lets band together against this kind of persecution. Come join my Markatisu is a Moderhater Facebook page and show the community that we are the ones getting things fixed. We don't need to be numerous, just loud.

If it wasn't for us Roboto and Hsss would still have reversed shoulders, Hurricane Hordak would still have that red dial eyesore on his back, Battleground Evil Lyn would still be a Teela repaint, Battleground Teela would still be the same character as redhead Teela and Clawful and Buzz Off would have only come with one head each.

Stand up and be heard

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    For me, it's an issue of being fed up. Fans have been giving active feedback on certain issues for years and getting the runaround. Problem is, nowadays it seems like many employees working for various companies are more interested in arguing with their customers and/or ignoring issues, rather than asking what they can do to improve.
    That is a problem with the internet, companies do not know how to deal with that. In the past you complained, they had time to think of a reply or decide on a course of action, or they ignored you all together.

Now, you complain and expect an instant answer. They do not really think one through and all hell breaks loose at their temp response. They get angry, you get angry and things build up.

Nobody here looks at it from the actual side of business, its not nice, it does not care about the fans, and its about making money.

But the downside is that no company in their right mind is going to openly say that.

I am not saying don't complain, I am suggesting that people realize when their complaints have not went anywhere and adjust accordingly. With the instant access the internet provides companies will turn you off whether you like it or not. That is reality

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    What? How dare you say that! What opinions and critiques are you bringing to the line?

C'mon guys, lets band together against this kind of persecution. Come join my Markatisu is a Moderhater Facebook page and show the community that we are the ones getting things fixed. We don't need to be numerous, just loud.

If it wasn't for us Roboto and Hsss would still have reversed shoulders, Hurricane Hordak would still have that red dial eyesore on his back, Battleground Evil Lyn would still be a Teela repaint, Battleground Teela would still be the same character as redhead Teela and Clawful and Buzz Off would have only come with one head each.

Stand up and be heard
    I love it Moderhater
    Last edited by markatisu; October 6, 2011 at 07:02pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

• The Griffin has brown wings in the MYP show, but Mattel makes them gray?

• Fans campaigned for 200X Evil-Lyn because she wasn't a Teela repaint and what do they do? Make her a Teela repaint.

• Shadow Weaver could have been a monthly figure that would have made a killing, but Mattel used her to sell subs.
    No, we know they make decisions that we would like see changed but the reasoning is sound, like it or not.

For the brown wings Scott has said it was a 4H choice to break up the color and be more visually interesting. I tend to agree.

Is Battleground EL really a 200X EL? I would argue no. The color schemes aren't exactly the same, the bio talks about her in general and the reuse of Teela's dress and the ram-like upper body piece reminds me of Skeletor. I see her as a repaint to give fans a non-yellow Evil Lyn with a 200X a possibility at a later date. Many things are done in bits in this line, it wouldn't surprise me that they do a better EL in the future.

Again, I believe Scott may have said SW was to be used as a lure of sorts for the subs, but had he simply used the reason that it was the best way to get her to market ASAP as the only reason - well that would have been better for us all.

Sometimes Scott can be TOO honest with us, which is a double edged sword on all our parts.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    A problem I'm starting to see is the Illumina wanter's are hijacking things to their cause. They are trying to group her lack of interest in with all of the other problems Mattel has. I see the smart a** comment in nearly every request for a character ((unless they want 5000 they will not make that figure)). You know if you very, very, very, very small group of wanter's put that energy to something worth while we could possibly improve the line instead of *****ing for a character you know you are not going to get. Faces the facts wanter's it is not going to happen. Even if by an act of Procrustus you can get 5000 you know you will still not see Illumina.
    SUBSCRIBE OR DIE!!!: The death of a cherry picker. The continuing saga from the makers of MOTUC. The adventure begins in 2012.

UPDATE: THE CUTTING BLOCK!!!: The cherry pickers are now dead. These changes brought to you from the makers of MOTUC. The adventure begins in 2013.

I love it Moderhater
    Moderhator™

Evil Galloping Battle Mod

Now, you complain and expect an instant answer. They do not really think one through and all hell breaks loose at their temp response. They get angry, you get angry and things build up.
    To be honest, they've had plenty of time to come up with a solution on the issues that I'm referring to, which is what makes their attitude so infuriating. They could at least say "we'll get back to you as soon as possible."

Nobody here looks at it from the actual side of business, its not nice, it does not care about the fans, and its about making money.
    I hate to say it, but personally I see some of the non-answers and arguing with the customers as more of an issue of ego getting in the way at times, rather than a money issue.

I am not saying don't complain, I am suggesting that people realize when their complaints have not went anywhere and adjust accordingly. With the instant access the internet provides companies will turn you off whether you like it or not. That is reality
    That's what I've been doing. I think I've been pretty fair.