Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So should we even bother with request anymore? - He-Man.org stats

My whole thing is... the fans who aren't involved in any toy-based online community generally aren't the ones giving Mattel feedback on the figures. I don't know how the heck Mattel would know what those folks do and don't want when they don't speak up!

Quote Originally Posted by Zinggia View Post
    The thing is, they know they have us over a barrel. That they can treat us anyway they choose and get away with it, they've come to expect it. Where else are we going to get MOTU figures exquisitely sculpted by 4HM? Nowhere. If we had alternative routes to acquire our "drug", you can bet your stars they would choose their words with a little more diplomacy. But we don't, so they have no need to. And you can further bet that if our "insignificant 200 bubble" happen to burst, they would most certainly take notice. Fast.
    Amen! I've been saying this forver.

The hardcore fans/customers are "addicts."

MOTUC is our "drug" and Mattel / ToyGuru is the dealer!

No matter how upset we get over their treatment of us, we will keep going back to get our "fix."
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Heroic Warrior
    I have to wonder how much of what TG says is on behalf of Mattel, or how much is just him extemporizing.

I'll grant that there are frequently times when these boards seem over-critical, or picky, or whatever, but I'm really getting tired of these posts from TG. He comes across as condescending, arrogant, and unbelievably dismissive.

I think it is love of the property, overall, that is the reason for MOTU's continued existence and current success. Not any genius moves on Mattel's part....their PR is pathetic, their website is infamous, heck - even their trade ads and promotions are often rife with inaccurate information or grammatical/spelling errors. Across a number of lines, they've made so many bad decisions and errors it's comical. (And as bcrduke pointed out, how many of their action figure lines over the past few years have crashed and burned?) Nothing about Mattel is 'world class'.

Properties like MOTU thrive and survive because of their fans. Mattel survives because of its customers. (See the distinction there, TG? We are not 'fans' of Mattel. We are your customers. Treat us as such.) MOTU needs fan energy to work, and nowhere in the world is there such a concentration or amount of that energy than on this site.

So yes, by all means, we should continue to make suggestions, complaints, criticisms, and yes, praise. I'm sure TG would like nothing better than for us to shut up, but he shouldn't be let off the hook that easily.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Zinggia View Post
    TG's comments don't sound overly surprising to me, but seem more endemic of how Mattel handles customer relations as a whole. To say that Mattel doesn't appreciate (or, more to the point, respect) it's adult collectors market is a HUGE understatement. I've been a collector of many of their products during my grown-up years (BTAS, JLU, 200x, DCUC, MOTUC) and one thing that resurfaces over and over again, no matter the toyline, is the "Pimp/Ho" dynamic they take with us. Build us up and tell us how great we are and how you're going to give us the stars... then slap us in the face and degrade us. Then say it was all a misunderstanding, it will never happen again and repeat the cycle. After so many times, the apologies stop but by then it doesn't matter, our will is broken. And we'll take it. We'll grouse to the other hos about how "This is the last straw, I'm leaving", but at the end of the day we forlornly turn over our money to them. Scott's not the first Matty-pimp and he won't be the last.

The thing is, they know they have us over a barrel. That they can treat us anyway they choose and get away with it, they've come to expect it. Where else are we going to get MOTU figures exquisitely sculpted by 4HM? Nowhere. If we had alternative routes to acquire our "drug", you can bet your stars they would choose their words with a little more diplomacy. But we don't, so they have no need to. And you can further bet that if our "insignificant 200 bubble" happen to burst, they would most certainly take notice. Fast.

We need a March on Mattel.

/rant

PS @ Scott: How much "extensive research" did Mattel do to see if anyone wanted your boring childhood scribble turned into 1/6 of a toyline?
    This should have been one of entries for the .Org t-shirt contest:
    The "Matty" character wearing a pimp hat, fur coat, platform shoes and holding a pimp cane with the caption: "Hey toy fan...where's my money?!"
    My Feedback thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I know you guys probably don't wanna hear this, but Toyguru may be right about org members being more vocal than numerous.

Speaking for myself and my circle of geek friends, I know five others beside myself who collect MOTUC. Of the six of us, I am the only member of He-Man.org. One of my friends is aware the org. exists and sometimes lurks, but never posts. The others didn't even know about the org, and two of them own comic shops.

Go figure...
    He might be. I don't think he is, but he might be.

But even assuming that's true and he is correct, that doesn't make it a smart thing for him to say.
    We all know that Mattel is not going to make business decisions based solely on the feedback from these forums.
    That would be foolish.
    But we all discuss things here and offer Mattel input/opinions/criticisms. Sometimes specifically at ToyGuru's request.
    When those items are useful and actionable, they use them. When they aren't, they don't.

But the point is, you don't tell a segment of your customers that they are in a very small, vocal bubble of buyers and that their opinions don't jive with the "mainstream" buyers.
    Even if that is true, as a business, you treat your customers like they matter regardless of how many you are talking to at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    One thing I would really like to see change, is I would like Mattel (and those that speak for Mattel) call us customers instead of fans. I know it sounds like a small or silly thing, but we are spending hard earned money on a product they are providing. We're not watching a "free" TV show or something. Subscribing to MOTUC is a significant amount of money.
    It really is a small matter of semantics, but I think it is an important one.
    We are fans of Masters of Universe. We are customers of Mattel.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Guys, in no way am I intending to belittle the Org or it's members. You guys are awesome and are absolutely the best group of MOTU fans around.

My intention was to provide a framework and manage expectations that at the end of the day, when dealing with facts, there really are only about 200 regular posters and we simply can't make all choices for the line based on a very vocal minority.
    In no way am I at all trying to belittle the Org or anyone here! Your opinion DOES matter a huge deal. We do want to hear your feedback and criticism of the line so we can make it better. I simply am trying to manage expectations that we do look at other factors aside from He-Man.org opinions.
    You guys are awesome and I hope it is clear how much we value your opinions in one way simply by the amount of time I do spend on these boards (I think it is a safe bet to say I post here more then any other fan site outside Mattycollector.com).

Keep making suggestions, we do listen and we do want to please the fans. Just know we simply can't make EVERY change requested, but we do try when it is feasible!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    My whole thing is... the fans who aren't involved in any toy-based online community generally aren't the ones giving Mattel feedback on the figures. I don't know how the heck Mattel would know what those folks do and don't want when they don't speak up!
    Oh great great point.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    But the point is, you don't tell a segment of your customers that they are in a very small, vocal bubble of buyers and that their opinions don't jive with the "mainstream" buyers.
    Even if that is true, as a business, you treat your customers like they matter regardless of how many you are talking to at once.
    So true, with our customers at my business, it doesnt matter if you are our #1 dealer or our #1000 dealer, when we are speaking with you or emailing you we treat you like #1.

Now that being side, behind closed doors we consider the larger customers more when we are making company choices.

But we dont throw it in the face of the small guys

It really is a small matter of semantics, but I think it is an important one.
    We are fans of Masters of Universe. We are customers of Mattel.
    very important. money is tight now a days and we are spending our hard earned money on their products, we are customers
    Last edited by fireball13z; October 13, 2011 at 04:52pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Guys, in no way am I intending to belittle the Org or it's members. You guys are awesome and are absolutely the best group of MOTU fans around.

My intention was to provide a framework and manage expectations that at the end of the day, when dealing with facts, there really are only about 200 regular posters and we simply can't make all choices for the line based on a very vocal minority.
    In no way am I at all trying to belittle the Org or anyone here! Your opinion DOES matter a huge deal. We do want to hear your feedback and criticism of the line so we can make it better. I simply am trying to manage expectations that we do look at other factors aside from He-Man.org opinions.
    You guys are awesome and I hope it is clear how much we value your opinions in one way simply by the amount of time I do spend on these boards (I think it is a safe bet to say I post here more then any other fan site outside Mattycollector.com).

Keep making suggestions, we do listen and we do want to please the fans. Just know we simply can't make EVERY change requested, but we do try when it is feasible!
    Can we have a he-man.org exclusive?

Not to sell but we do have an idea for the 2013 line to give fans a bit more choice and a chance at some of the more obscure figures fans are asking for. Stay tuned for SDCC 2012 for the details!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    That's actually not a bad idea....
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Methinks TG is in his own bubble
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Not to sell but we do have an idea for the 2013 line to give fans a bit more choice and a chance at some of the more obscure figures fans are asking for. Stay tuned for SDCC 2012 for the details!
    Oooh! You have my attention!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Scott

Content aside I think the issue here is one of tone. I think post Orger (myself included) are more upset with your tone and wording then anything. Do you read what you've written before posting it? I don't mean for grammer or misspellings, as I make many of those myself, but for how it comes across. Try reading it out loud it helps. You may not have meant what you said to sound belittling or snarky but it did. I personally like reading your post I like when you share info with us but I don't like being talked to like I'm an unruly child or unimportant. We may only be a "small but vocal" portion of the fan base but we are still your customers and we spend our hard earned money on your/Mattel's products every month. That alone means we deserve respect.

Thank you and I look forward to what you have to share at NYCC.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

I wish you could answer my questions on Ask Matty as quick as you answered this question

This makes me scared as I am typically on the losing side of fan feedback things.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    wow what the heck did i miss? I need to find this TG post!
    Same here. I missed it too and can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Weed View Post
    Four Horsemen sculpted almost every single thing Todd MacFarlane released for a LONG time. Damn near every Spawn figure ever made is theirs, and they've made every six inch DC figure for the last decade. Seriously, this is not their big break. They've been the most well known toy sculptors for absolute years.
    Yeah, but they didn't start working on DC until they started working for Mattel, where MOTU was their first assignment. I'm sure they were known while at McFarlane, but not nearly as well known as they were once they started working on DC characters, so I do think going from McFarlane to Mattel was probably a huge step.

I am an Illumina supporter and I hope that she does finally see the light. I do think Val and Emiliano could have given us a knockout figure if they were given the oportunity but just like there is hate for Illumina I am sure there would be hate for Val and Emiliano's 30th Anniversary figure.........

and then they would have been BANNED!!!!
    LOL! If they got banned from this site, I do believe the world wide web would have no choice but to implode!
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; October 13, 2011 at 05:38pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I'm sick to death of being marginalized in statements by mattel
    first as a 200x fan i was louder than numerous
    then as an international fan i was louder than numerous
    then being a cherry picker (what occurs with every single retail line 99% of the time) i was demonized again
    now as an Org-er i'm louder than numerous

I am really sick to death of these derogatory statements that anger and enflame feelings within the customer base

would we be "louder than numerous" if we all boycotted a sale day or a non sub item?

The thing is i don't think the statements are meant to be inflammatory, i just think Scott is a lot like me and says something before thinking it through, that and Text never carries a tone, if you read it in a jokey tone its not bad but we don't know the tone it was meant really. Either way it comes across really badly

Quote Originally Posted by AlessandraF View Post

Regarding TG's post in the other thread...well, I read that Val and Emiliano can't be involved because there aren't enough fans demanding for them or knowing who they are ow what they did (highly debatable). Seriously? What is that, an election? When it comes to skills, creativity, knowledge, understanding of the brand, it surely shouldn't be up to the number of fans demanding certain people, it should be up to Mattel making treasure of these people's qualities for the better of the brand. If they have this qualities, Mattel should use them regardless of 1 or 5000 fans demanding them. It's just simple logic to me.
    YES! EXACTLY! Since when do fans asking for someone to be involved with a brand make that happen? What fans thought The Four Horsemen should be involved? What fans thought Scott should be involved? What fans thought Terri should be involved? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad all of those people are involved because they've done a spectacular job on the toys, but they were all hired due to their knowledge and expertise, not because fans voted for them; not only that but The Four Horsemen were RECRUITED for their knowledge and expertise, just like Val & Emiliano should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    "Mr. Dennit, with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on."
    http://web-images.chacha.com/ricky-b...7-2010-200.jpg
    Hahaha! No joke, that is EXACTLY what I thought of when I read the post you quoted!
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; October 13, 2011 at 05:54pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Now here is where we starting going off the rail and coming onto the crazy train. Now here we are talking about how Mattel should hire and what to do. We don't have that right. Unfortunately or fortunately, these decisions have to be made by someone and that is not us. We can't even come to a unanimous agreement on anything.

Understand that our roles as fan is voice opinions on figure and toys. We are not executives at Mattel. We have no right to tell Mattel who to hire or who not to hire. It's insane to think we could or even suggest such a thing.

Imagine if the MOTU Movie goes forward. Should we get script approval? Should we have a reality show where we vote for director and stars?

C'mon, if Mattel decided to do a 30th Anniversary figure line then so be it. You don't have to buy it.

Wouldn't you guys get a ***** if I won the Create a Character contest.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I have a question ready. It's a risky one, as it may blow up in my face, and it would require honesty from the audience at the panel.

I will have to consider asking it when I'm there.
    Godspeed! I trust your judgement!

I love it when you rile everyone up. It usually means we get something we've been asking for.

Of course, it'd also be nice if we got what we asked for without raising our blood pressure first.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Classic TG bait and switch. He knows we're upset so he baits us with something we want or a new reveal and we switch gears to "Oh look, that's so cool, Mattel is really taking into account what we want" mode.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    Well, some members would like to continue to think they somehow control the line. I think we are most effective when we give constructive criticism, but some posts here have just been complete rants and insanity. I keep wondering how they can somehow collect enough reasoning skills to leave their houses.

When we point out certain issues, we get our voices heard. Like the shoulder issue or the paint applications.
    Well said.

I understand where Scott is coming from but I think he did SEVERELY under estimate the ORG's importance to the MOTU community.

Mattel is... I was going to say seemingly increasingly anti-fan, but what it really is is anti-customer. The constant bait and switch tactics... the scare tactics... the implication that certain fans/customers are better or more valuable than others (you're this or that. You're a chery-picker. You're louder than you are numerous. Your opinion doesn't matter, but come to SDCC where it does)... the difficulty in securing the toys in the first place (and Grayskull help you if you're new to the line and playing catch-up)... the continuing quality control issues...

These things are why I stopped buying MOTUC. Occasionally, if I see something cheap thru eBay or BBTS (or wherever) I might consider picking it up*... but certainly never thru Mattel again. The 200x debacle ****** me off... and my brief year of buying Classics pretty much accomplished the same thing.

You know, one of the places I just mentioned has pre-orders (ye gods, what a concept) for most of the new figs at around 31.99. If you are desperate to buy, say Stinkor and the like, I might suggest going thru an alternate avenue to send a message. Me, I might pick up something here and there... or not. It's more fulfulling to me to fill in the gaps of my vintage collection at this point.

Hasbro, to name a name, is by no means perfect... but I don't think I ever felt belittled or slighted by them or their executives when I've had minor interactions or major transactions.

Meanwhile, I still come to the Org... to (occasionally) post, to catch up on news... or look up something about my collection (the most invaluable service the Org provides, frankly). I mean, I was ripped off by a former poster, I've had electronic scuffles, suffered thru sycophants and their self-aggrandizing... I've rolled my eyes when people made mountains out of molehills and when people were too harsh about others making said mountains out of molehills...

But I still stop by. I'm not alone, and Val's numbers back that up.

And the subscriptions for MOTUC continue to fall.

Why is that, Toyguru?

*For instance, I got Gy-gor for an absolute steal, and that was months after I swore off the line... too good of a price to pass up