Thread: CosPlay and Dance Belts

CosPlay and Dance Belts

After attending my first convention EVER this past weekend at NYCC (why did I ever wait this long??), I have come away with not only great memories, but also some insight I thought I'd share with our friends who enjoy cosplaying- particularly those males that wear spandex.

I am absolutely thrilled that you, the male hero, enjoy dressing up in your favorite costumes particularly because I give you props for doing it and putting all the effort into the costume builds and because I really wouldn't have the guts to do it myself. You guys are amazing! But I do feel the need to give a little public service announcement in the ways of - how should we say- certain "areas" of your costume.

If you wear tights, you must know that they are called "tights" for a reason... they're tight. Duh. That being the case, that little outfit of tights is going to cling to every part of your body. EVERY. PART. So naturally, you're going to "show". I don't think that I speak for myself when I say that not all of us want to see all of you. Heck, part of a hero's mystery is to leave things to the imagination, no? So in an effort to better educate the male cosplayer, I submit to you the following little item, to let us all enjoy your costumes a little more. I give you: The dance belt. Take a look:

Yes, the dance belt. Being in the theatre business myself, one has to occasionally keep themselves in check due to certain costume fittings. Take ballet dancers as a wonderful example of in-check-ness. A little bump down there, and nothing more. Excellent!

Yes, it's a thong... No it isn't the most comfortable thing in the world, but I'm willing to bet you're not all that comfortable in the tights themselves, now, are you? Why not just go that extra step and make everyone else comfortable, even if you're not? We'll all appreciate it, and you'll look DYNAMITE! Think of how many more pictures you'll get with us too! The exposure! THE FAME!!!

So, in closure, please take a bit of advice from someone who speaks for a great mass (to be sure)... Take the dance belt into consideration for your next convention experience. Many will appreciate the extra mile you went to make yourself less "noticeable", and you'll look that much better in the fantastic costume you took so much time in creating! To steal from Humphrey Bogart, "Here's looking at you, junk!" Or, hopefully, NOT.

Thanks for your time!

-Johnny C

I don't wear tights - something for which the world is profoundly grateful I am sure. But this would be a real good idea for anybody who does.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"It was the time of the preacher..."
    - Willie Nelson, "Time of the Preacher"

I have to ask though.... do you think that people are truly just oblivious to how they appear in outfits such as the ones in question, or is there really just a lack of knowledge that dance belts or other solutions exist? Is it, "Well, this is just how it is with tights, so that's what I'm gonna look like".... ??

I dunno.... continue to discuss....

-Johnny C

Heroic Warrior
    No don't use it guys.

Give the ladies something to look at.

Isn't that about the same thing as a jock strap?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bowlz View Post
    Isn't that about the same thing as a jock strap?
    You'd think.... but it's much tighter. MUCH. NOTHING moves in one of those things!

-Johnny C

So THAT'S what superheros wear!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    So THAT'S what superheros wear!
    When drawn by Liefeld they just strap on a shovel blade.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    When drawn by Liefeld they just strap on a shovel blade.
    Ha! I had no idea what you're talking about, so I looked it up and found this, and figured it out.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    No don't use it guys.

Give the ladies something to look at.
    most ladies I know think that that's gross. they only want to see that type of thing when they are ready to use it. outside of that they are very 'eww' about it.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    most ladies I know think that that's gross. they only want to see that type of thing when they are ready to use it. outside of that they are very 'eww' about it.

I mean...ANYONE would think that was gross.... wouldn't they? "Private parts" means just that..... that's what I gather anyway...

-Johnny C

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    I mean...ANYONE would think that was gross.... wouldn't they? "Private parts" means just that..... that's what I gather anyway...

-Johnny C
    well I can speak for myself and those that I know (and you because you sent out this heaertfelt plea! which I totally support!) As a straight man I've never liked seeing 'camel toe' on a woman, which would probably be the equivalent?? but I do like tights that show the countours very well (just stay outside of 'things' please )
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    which would probably be the equivalent??

Moose Knuckle.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    You wouldn't tell a woman to bandage her chest if someone said female body parts are unsightly.

Don't tell me my junk needs to be hidden away.

I find it weird that so many people are afraid of the male genitalia and what it symbolises.

Many (not all) guys fear seeing other guys junk in case anyone might think they're gay for looking, or in case they feel inadequate if the other guy is more well hung than them.

Many (not all) Feminists feel that an "attack" on the male symbol of power (Men's genitalia) is part of their crusade, hence so much modern comedy involving guys getting kicked there and the previously mentioned way that lots of women think it's ugly or funny.

It's a natural, wonderful part of our amazing bodies and doesn't need strapping down and hiding away.

Bulge with Pride!

*Gets down off soapbox*
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

I think the issue is less a bulge and more every nook and cranny. So it would probably be more like if a ladies shirt/blouse was prone to being see through in too much light.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    You wouldn't tell a woman to bandage her chest if someone said female body parts are unsightly.

Don't tell me my junk needs to be hidden away.

I find it weird that so many people are afraid of the male genitalia and what it symbolises.

Many (not all) guys fear seeing other guys junk in case anyone might think they're gay for looking, or in case they feel inadequate if the other guy is more well hung than them.

Many (not all) Feminists feel that an "attack" on the male symbol of power (Men's genitalia) is part of their crusade, hence so much modern comedy involving guys getting kicked there and the previously mentioned way that lots of women think it's ugly or funny.

It's a natural, wonderful part of our amazing bodies and doesn't need strapping down and hiding away.

Bulge with Pride!

*Gets down off soapbox*
    I just think it's too much information. speaking from a natural point of view, a females lips chest and buttocks have theoretically evolved as they have to attract a mate, for men it's broad shoulders and a deep voice, seeing someone's junk outline doesn't advertise well, it's like showing the process of sausage making when trying to sell your franks, something just don't have to be broadcast!

Fear is faith in failure

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Men should NEVER wear tights in dance, in public, ANYWHERE, NEVER!!!!!
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I think the issue is less a bulge and more every nook and cranny. So it would probably be more like if a ladies shirt/blouse was prone to being see through in too much light.
    EXACTLY. This is my point. Dancers wear these belts for that very reason. Who would want to see that? I like a good bulge as much as anyone, but I don't need to see the form and shape of every "nook and cranny" as wyldman put it.... tell me this: Is it acceptable for a man to walk around naked? Nope. So what's the difference when a guy is walking around and his entire genitalia are visible even if wearing tights? Nothing to the imagination, friends.... and we want there to be!

-Johnny C