Thread: Skylanders concept would be AWESOME for the MOTU Mini-Masters!

Skylanders concept would be AWESOME for the MOTU Mini-Masters!

It's an awesome concept and a great business model if the game itself can be pulled off with some quality behind it.

The model is simple...

Have a video game that utilizes a small electronic device to "unlock" parts of the game by placing the toys (characters or vehicles) on the device itself. Figures would equate to a new playable character and vehicles would equate to a new type of mini-game where the game itself utilizes said vehicle.

Maybe castles, etc. would be new zones.

The game itself could still be quite a fun game even if you purchased no other characters, etc. but the tie-in between the two is a really great idea (even if it is expensive!)

It wouldn't have to be a direct copy of Skylanders as I can think of some better ways to implement certain things or unlock certain parts but the idea alone is a fantastic way to tie both toys and a game together.
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

That would be very cool... and something Mattel would be smart to go after when they go back to retail. But if the game is no good it won't work. From what I've heard Skylanders is a good game. You couldn't just have some studio do it on the cheap and hope for success.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Snappy Threader
    I saw these at Best Buy last night. I thought the exact same thing. It would indeed be cool to mirror the model for that line with the Minis.

Please let's not turn motu into poke'mon, I know some of the 200x fans grew up watching that kind of stuff but I can't see it helping the MOTUC line.

If Mattel are going to make a game they may as well aim it at it's guaranteed market: the 30+ horney adults that grew up watching Motu in the 80's and playing Street Fighter and SoulCalibure. Blood, **** and gore is all we need, not pokie balls and battle cards.
    Mattel Inc. taken subscribers for the ass since 2011!

Movie mayhem!
    I think it could be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyHall666 View Post
    If Mattel are going to make a game they may as well aim it at it's guaranteed market: the 30+ horney adults that grew up watching Motu in the 80's and playing Street Fighter and SoulCalibure. Blood, **** and gore is all we need, not pokie balls and battle cards.
    I feel that's a terrible, terrible idea. There are plenty of fantasy games with blood and gore and all that. The moment you turn MOTU into that you start to genericize it.

In any case, I think the idea of figures you put on a device and then come to life in-game would be EXCELLENT to get kids into it. I think it'll be the future of action figures. Let's face it, the action figure market could use a boost. And if you could get actual FIGURES (as opposed to the Skylander ones which really are more like figurines) all the better.

They wouldn't even have to do it with Mini-Masters. A future movie line could do something like that and it could be really cool.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar

Idea for "Mini Masters" figures

How about throwing those things on little bases and hooking them to a video game like "Skylanders" or the upcoming "Disney Infinity"? For those that have played Skylanders I think many of the same concepts in the game would carry over nicely into the MOTU universe. The Ipad game, though MUCH cheaper, has proven an appetite for He-Man themed beat-em-ups, and it'd be a great way to push the property for kids.

Thoughts?

Movie mayhem!
    best idea evvver

Pretty nifty idea. Mattel does make similar toys (Batman, wrestlers) as iPad app games. I don't know much about them, but that could be a neat avenue too.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Neat idea, but won't happen. Mattel doesn't have much in the way of innovative forethought.

Nice idea... But I would rather them focus on the current line. I do want a full fledged console game though. It would be awesome!

Would be cool... Skylanders is awesome, and the new one coming out this Fall looks even better than the others. A MOTU game like this would be great!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

I would totally freaking LOVE this idea if they did it!!! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe in a movie year.

Unless Mattel were willing to make a significant investment into making a great game. Spyro was the only "known" character in the first Skylanders and it did well, but they were innovative and made an enjoyable game.

Disney Infinity has a huge advantage since they're using beloved characters and offering the "Toy Box" mode which allows players to build whatever kind of "game" they want.

I think a MOTU game could work, but it would need to have something special to differentiate it from Skylanders which has developed great brand recognition in a few years and Disney Infinity which will likely be a juggernaut.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Disney Infinity is selling little discs that set under the figure's base that give in-game bonuses to the figures. The next skylanders is having 2-piece figures that you can swap around to combine abilities in different ways. I think if you found a way to mix the MOTU characters with the various Vehicles/beasts could find your gimmick. Play as just He-Man, OR He-Man on Battle Cat. Fisto? Fisto on Stridor. Man-At-Arms with Orko helper, Moss Man with Zoar, and swap them all around.

Heroic Warrior
    ^^^^

All the armours could be power-ups as well.

Thunder-Punch, Flying Fists, Battle Armour, etc for the heroes and Dragon Blaster, Terror Claws and Battle Armour for the evil doers. Maybe some Sorceress related power-ups as well.

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    My nephews are 9 and 7 and both LOVE Skylanders and the figures fly off the shelves. Basically the figure lets you play the game as that figure. Since each figure has different skills / powers they literally cannot get enough figures. You buy the game and it comes with this round "portal" (very cool looking) that plugs into the game console. When you sit a figure on the round portal, it lights up different colors and the character you are playing in the game instantly switches from who you were playing as to the new one. Game elements also change.

I am NOT a gamer - never have been - but I really enjoy watching them play this game and enjoy the little "figures" themselves. You can't really play with them because they are actually required to play the game. They display them though at home on a shelf - looks like a mini-collection. The game is full on fun action.

This is a great idea to hook the kids. A cartoon timed to follow the game after, almost like the Yu-Gi-Oh cartoon complemented the actual card game might be smart too....yeah, a lot of potential!

I would totally buy a game like that. We have the orignal Skylanders and all the original guys....but I passed on Giants cause my son is more into the toys than the game and it just isn't worth it at this time. However, if it were MOTU themed....I'd play the hell out of it. Bring it on!

Heroic Warrior
    It would be interesting to note that one of the main developers/designers has all the He-Man figures ;-) I pitched this concept to Scott last year. I pray he does this!!!!