Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you realize you have too much stuff. What do you do?

When you realize you have too much stuff. What do you do?

Much like all of you, or most of you, I decided to collect stuff throughout the years. Times changes as does ones taste and now I find that I have a lot of stuff or junk.

I've tried to sell some stuff on this site, but no bites. So I tried to sell on ebay and no bites. So, what does one do? I'm seriously thinking about throwing some stuff out because I feel cluttered(not hoarder cluttered).

For instance I started collecting animation cells about 10 years ago. I have a lot there aren't framed and stuffed in a closet. I have some that I dont want anymore. And a few I still do. I put a couple on ebay, but no one is biting.

I'd love to hear how some of you guys clean out your houses/ apartments.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I like to donate things when I realize that I am not ever going to do anything with it. The fast and easy nature of it is more valuable to me than the effort involved in trying to sell it. Selfish generosity, what can I say?
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I usually try to sell whatever I can online first, just because I'm not a millionaire and can use that for other things.
    But, if that doesn't work, I usually donate books to libraries or to kids. Sometimes I'll take some remainders to the book store to swap for credit.

I'll also take stuff to work for co-workers to snap up. I work with geeks who like toys and graphic novels though. If I have stray furniture or stuff I do offer it up to people at work or family members.

And finally, I'll donate the stuff to Goodwill. Never to Salvation Army, though.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I'v ebeen selling them off. I've got a ton of Transformers, Beast Wars, video game figures, and some GI Joes I've been selling, along with the majority of my MOC/MIB MOTUC collection. I just don't have room for everything and I really just want to try to keep 90% of my collection in one room instead of filling up two bedrooms and the living room.

I will be donating all of my Star Wars stuff to Toys for Tots this year though, as I couldn't even sell the entire lot for $25 on ebay. No one wants Star Wars stuff these days.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Here is what I do:

~Try to sell on ebay
    ~Sell or trade on He-Man.org
    ~Sometimes sell on craigslist, but depends on the items
    ~Have a yard sale
    ~Donate to Goodwill charity and write it off my taxes
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Never to Salvation Army, though.
    Why?

It depends on the items. Clothing, furniture, old electronics goes to donation center. Trendy clothing are sold to Used Clothing dealer (I've learned I'm not that trendy.) Books I either take to libraries if they take them (some don't) or trade them in at used bookstore. I must admit I have never tried to sell or give away collectibles. CD's sold to used 'record' store.

It's sometimes nice decluttering.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    If it's going to end up in a drawer and put out of sight, I just sell it. Keeping something that's going to sit away somewhere never seen is pointless, and it brings me extra cash to sell off things that are taking up room. Not to mention, freeing up extra space in the process.

a Muppet of a man...
    We've been going through a major purge of the house. Some toy/collectible type stuff, some just... stuff. It's been difficult, yet liberating in a lot of ways.

So far:

- We've given stuff to family and friends
    - We had a yard sale
    - We've made several runs to Goodwill
    - Several trips to the used bookstore (not much money in it, but something)
    - Dozens of eBay auctions
    - and some stuff... personal paperwork, broken items (I'll fix it someday, I swear!) went to the trash.

Like I said, it's been difficult, but we've been in our house for almost 10 years not , and it was time to clear some space.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Why?
    I don't want to get too Tar Swamp but it has to do with some of the beliefs of the organization. If you Google "Gays Deserve Death" and "Salvation Army" that'll be a start.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I've been selling stuff for a while, but after my mom died and my dad decided to sell their house, I ended up reaching critical mass in terms of space, so over the last few months I've made a lot of hard choices and have gathered up a whole closet of stuff to sell. Joes, TFs, Heroclix, Superhero squad etc. Need to get back to that, actually...

But we also made a massive donation (needed to get a truck, actually), of over twenty full boxes of books, plus old VHS tapes and DVDs, old clothes, and some toys that were still in good condition but have no resale value (like extra JLU figures). I'd actually be inclined to donate everything, but I do need to build up the cash flow a bit.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

BUY MORE STUFF.

...seriously, I have no idea. I've never sold on ebay and I've never gone through everything and figured out what I want to get rid of. Best I've done is sift out some Star Wars, Joes, and most of my Marvel Legends...but then I dunno what to do. I'm terrible at pricing them, so I end up just trading with friends and that just gets me more toys. I'm sure I'll figure it out someday.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I always donate clothes to places that need them. Books, as a librarian I groan every time someone drags in a box of books. So I tend not to do that and all the YA books go into the library I work at cause I know what kids want And its my lib.

But the stuff I am trying to seel is more like cells, musicboxes and stuff like that. I also have old photographs that are no longer good for my collection.

I feel like I have too much crap and I want to downsize.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    When you realize you have too much stuff. What do you do?
    I either give them away or throw them out.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

But the stuff I am trying to seel is more like cells, musicboxes and stuff like that. I also have old photographs that are no longer good for my collection.
    My church is doing a yard sale in August and people (open to all) can get tables and sell stuff. We're right across from UNCG and they way they make it sound is that the incoming classes like to get stuff to decorate their dorms, apartments, etc..

If you happen to have a college or university in your area maybe someplace is doing something similar. The students will need cool stuff to decorate so they may buy your cool stuff you want to get rid of. Plus that financial aid money will be burning holes in those little pockets. Just sayin'.

Yeah my friend had a garage sale and I threw some stuff in there. Somethings sold, others didnt, but that is to be expected. My geek stuff didn't sell

I think another part of the problem is I want a new house. Im getting antsy. I want to start a new chapeter and I just want to purge.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Here is what I do:

~Try to sell on ebay
    ~Have a yard sale
    I have never once had an item sell on craigslist. Iv'e had people say they will buy it, but then they never show up.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Here is what I do:

~Try to sell on ebay
    ~Have a yard sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I have never once had an item sell on craigslist. Iv'e had people say they will buy it, but then they never show up.
    I don't have a lot of luck on craigslist, but I have sold a chainsaw, weight bench, stair climber, swimming pool solar cover, and a garden tiller as well as a few vehicles and some land for my father-in-law.

I always donate clothes to places that need them. Books, as a librarian I groan every time someone drags in a box of books. So I tend not to do that and all the YA books go into the library I work at cause I know what kids want And its my lib.
    Ha, funny you mentioned that 'cause the library where I work has been getting the standard summer flow of used books. I thought it was supposed to be SPRING cleaning, but everyone seems to dig out the old books in the summer. The back room is just flooded, and we can't move them fast enough. We have a regular booksale going on, but since we get so many at one time we have had this perpetual 25 cent sale for two months now. Of course, the reason we're so slow to move them is 'cause someone has to go through and judge if we want to enter the books into circulation or sell them, and that just takes forever...

At least we get some cool stuff every once in awhile. Just the other day we got three GIANT newspaper (Detroit news) archive books from 1925! It's scary to look through them because the edges are falling apart, but SO dang cool. It's one thing to look through the microfilm, but another to really see the newspapers from the time. Sadly I think we're gona donate them to the museum across the street, because if we let patrons look through them they'll just end up tearing them apart.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Well I just did a huge clean up of our basement, I think I kept everything since I was 16! Most of the stuff went into the trash, mice got into it, but alot of stuff is being donated.

As for my toys, well they just kind of sit in boxes. Some of the stuff I've been trading away for other MOTUC items. Other stuff I've been giving away. Like some of my Tformers are going to my brother and my NASCAR stuff is going to my dad. I've got a HUGE GI Joe RAH collection that I'm trying to figure out what to do with, sell it or keep it for my kids.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Two suggestions...

- you can always donate unopened toys to children's charities.

Hospitals, especially hospitals for kids, are always happy for donations. And around the holidays, there's Toys for Tots and similar regional programs. I know the Cops, Kids & Toys program in upstate NY will even take comic books, as long as they are new (and not rated M for mature, of course ).

- try listing things as lots on eBay.

I moved last year and finally got all of my collections in one place for the first time since leaving for college. I discovered that "teenage me" had collected some things I had no interest in now. Stuff that there wasn't a lot of interest in. For example, I bought 13 MOC Phantom Menace figures before seeing the movie. Individually, they weren't worth enough to cover the cost of shipping & fees, but when I put listed them as a lot somebody paid enough that I got a some of money back and cleared some space.

I'm kinda scared to use craiglist. Maybe its cause I'm a chick. I just dunno. I know some people who have good luck with it though
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

As a safety measure, it is better to buy & sell off of Craigslist while having someone else with you. Just in case.

My partner sells on Craigslist and always drags me along or if the people come here is sure to tell to make it known I'm in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    As a safety measure, it is better to buy & sell off of Craigslist while having someone else with you. Just in case.

My partner sells on Craigslist and always drags me along or if the people come here is sure to tell to make it known I'm in the house.

That's a good idea about having a buddy. Makes a lot of sense.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I'm kinda scared to use craiglist. Maybe its cause I'm a chick. I just dunno. I know some people who have good luck with it though
    NEVER have them meet you at your house and ALWAYS in a public place.

Well if you can't sell it then why not give it away if it's not a high dollar item..I have maybe even start here..