Thread: The Eternos Palace Project

Heroic Warrior

The Eternos Palace Project

So, I found this Barbie Grand hotel at a thrift store and I'm going to turn it into Eternos Palace. More pics to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Skystalker; September 5, 2014 at 01:14pm. Reason: Added Pictures
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Great idea.
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack

Vintage or MOTUC scale?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker95 View Post
    Vintage or MOTUC scale?
    MOTUC. Barbie and MOTUC are roughly the same scale, at least height wise.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Very nice. I've repurposed a few Barbie playsets for my figures - my Mermista has her own underwater splash zone waiting for her. Can't wait to see how your Eternos Palace turns out!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamandra View Post
    Very nice. I've repurposed a few Barbie playsets for my figures - my Mermista has her own underwater splash zone waiting for her. Can't wait to see how your Eternos Palace turns out!
    That's great to hear.

There's a combo Ice Castle/Arandelle Castle for the Frozen "Barbie" line from Mattel that looks like it might be good for Frosta.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    That's great to hear.

There's a combo Ice Castle/Arandelle Castle for the Frozen "Barbie" line from Mattel that looks like it might be good for Frosta.
    You know, I've been looking at that one...can't quite justify the cost yet. I've been using the vintage Hoth Star Wars playset for her in the meantime. I'm still kicking myself for not keeping my childhood Blackstar Ice Palace, though. That would have been amazing.

my Mermista has her own underwater splash zone waiting for her.
    Wich playest are you using?
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

I took Barbie Mermaid Fantasy playset and the Barbie Fairytopia Mermaidia Playset apart and parked them next to Crystal Falls. It's gonna be all mermaids, all the time this winter!

Heroic Warrior
    You know, I've been looking at that one...can't quite justify the cost yet. I've been using the vintage Hoth Star Wars playset for her in the meantime. I'm still kicking myself for not keeping my childhood Blackstar Ice Palace, though. That would have been amazing.
    I know what you mean. If I ever get it, I'm only going to do so once it's on sale. $100 is too expensive, especially when I wouldn't use most of the accessories anyway.

I took Barbie Mermaid Fantasy playset and the Barbie Fairytopia Mermaidia Playset apart and parked them next to Crystal Falls. It's gonna be all mermaids, all the time this winter!
    Cool!
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Heroic Warrior
    Starting to take this beast apart, clean it, and remove stickers. Here are some parts from the inside, minus floors and outer walls.

I know what you mean. If I ever get it, I'm only going to do so once it's on sale. $100 is too expensive, especially when I wouldn't use most of the accessories anyway.
    If you ever do it, I want to see pix!

What are you using to remove the stickers? I always cringe at trying to scrape those off and am rarely successful.

Quote Originally Posted by PaoloKr View Post
    Cool!
    I'll get some pix up when Mermista arrives. I have some aquarium flora on order that I think will work well with it!

Heroic Warrior
    What are you using to remove the stickers? I always cringe at trying to scrape those off and am rarely successful.
    Right now I've just been scraping them off with my fingers (not a lot of fun) if the part is dry. If it is smaller and can be submerged in lukewarm water, I'm doing it that way as I wash the pieces and get ready to paint them. Either way, a residue of stickiness is left. I'll have to get that off with Goo Gone or something else. I've heard that wiping it with lighter fluid or gasoline will remove it.

There are some raised areas in the plastic in the shape of hair salon supplies and other such things that I'm going to have to sand down or try and build up with Apoxie sculpt to make them flat and smooth. I've never done that before, so here's hoping it works.

This will be a long project. I actually disassembled it about a week and a half ago and have only started working on the cleaning.

If you ever do it, I want to see pix!
    I'll have to convince my wife first. She still doesn't understand why I need another palace when I have Castle Grayskull.

Boy, she'll really have questions if I ever try to do something for the Snake Mountain, Fright Zone, Crystal Castle, Starship Eternia, and other locations we'll probably never get in Classics.
    Last edited by Skystalker; September 5, 2014 at 04:05pm.

Right now I've just been scraping them off with my fingers (not a lot of fun) if the part is dry. If it is smaller and can be submerged in lukewarm water, I'm doing it that way as I wash the pieces and get ready to paint them. Either way, a residue of stickiness is left. I'll have to get that off with Goo Gone or something else. I've heard that wiping it with lighter fluid or gasoline will remove it.
    Don't use Goo Gone. It may be great for removing the sticky stuff, but it leaves a greasy residue that's hard to remove. I prefer lighter fluid myself. It works just as well, and it completely evaporates like rubbing alcohol.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

There are some raised areas in the plastic in the shape of hair salon supplies and other such things that I'm going to have to sand down or try and build up with Apoxie sculpt to make them flat and smooth. I've never done that before, so here's hoping it works.

This will be a long project. I actually disassembled it about a week and a half ago and have only started working on the cleaning.

I'll have to convince my wife first. She still doesn't understand why I need another palace when I have Castle Grayskull.

Boy, she'll really have questions if I ever try to do something for the Snake Mountain, Fright Zone, Crystal Castle, Starship Eternia, and other locations we'll probably never get in Classics.
    Thanks for the tip! I will give it a shot.

Let me also know what you use to prime the castle with, since I'm guessing you're going to paint? I've been looking at that Krylon spray paint that's SUPPOSED to adhere to plastic, but I don't know. So far, I've just stuck to doing washes and dry brushing with a sealer - not changing the whole color. And I'm curious to know what works!

And a fan can never have too many castles. My husband has his Man Cave for his stuff, and whatever I put in my MOTU room stays in my MOTU room. I honestly don't think he'd notice another castle, but there's no way I can justify the cost of the Barbie ice castle. Hopefully, a beat-up one will turn up on eBay or something

flutterina, thanks for the info on lighter fluid. I am going to make a note of that...I think the last time I tried something like that, I used acetone, and it took FOREVER.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    Don't use Goo Gone. It may be great for removing the sticky stuff, but it leaves a greasy residue that's hard to remove. I prefer lighter fluid myself. It works just as well, and it completely evaporates like rubbing alcohol.
    Thanks for the Tip!

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the tip! I will give it a shot.

Let me also know what you use to prime the castle with, since I'm guessing you're going to paint? I've been looking at that Krylon spray paint that's SUPPOSED to adhere to plastic, but I don't know. So far, I've just stuck to doing washes and dry brushing with a sealer - not changing the whole color. And I'm curious to know what works!

And a fan can never have too many castles. My husband has his Man Cave for his stuff, and whatever I put in my MOTU room stays in my MOTU room. I honestly don't think he'd notice another castle, but there's no way I can justify the cost of the Barbie ice castle. Hopefully, a beat-up one will turn up on eBay or something

flutterina, thanks for the info on lighter fluid. I am going to make a note of that...I think the last time I tried something like that, I used acetone, and it took FOREVER.
    The only painting I've done is touch ups on figures with Model Masters Acrylic Paint. This is going to be spray paint, at least for the big pieces. I got some spray paint from Walmart that is supposed to adhere to plastic, so I'll let you know how it works when I finally get around to it. (and the brand. Can't remember offhand)

Heroic Warrior
    I am going to start making new dioramas for my figures, I want to make a tavern and a workshop for man at arms..

Heroic Warrior
    I hope to put up more pics in the next day or so, but the project continues apace.

So far, I've painted the windows, which are originally transparent blue with Krylon black spray paint (not the FUSION paint, just black paint that says it adheres to plastic.) That has worked just fine for the transparent plastic of the windows, though the doors have handles made of a smooth, non-transparent black plastic. There is chipping happening there, though to be fair the paint is not supposed to be fully chip resistant until 7 days have past. That won't be until Saturday or Sunday.

On the body of the building, some of the sides are smooth, glossy plastic. I tried a Rustoleum plastic primer, but that is not working. However, the Krylon FUSION paint is adhering quite well. I'll keep you updated.

I hope the plastic primer works better on rougher, non-shiny plastic, as the paint I want to use on certain pieces of that nature requires a primer.

And Flutterina is right on the money with the lighter fluid. Piece of cake.

Heroic Warrior
    I continue to work on the project, but I had to slow down considerably. Looks like it's picking up again.

Just a quick picture of progress. This is the floor of the elevator that originally had a Barbie logo and some other areas that I filled in with apoxie sculpt and then sanded as smooth as I can. I've drawn lines on the floor that I will cut with my dremel to simulate wood planks. I'm trying to get a look similar to that of the Castle Grayskull wood floors.

Attachment 100247
    Last edited by Skystalker; May 30, 2015 at 09:03pm.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    nice to see you didn't give up.

looking forward to see more progresses.

Heroic Warrior
    Here's the elevator floor again after cutting and painting it to look like wood planks. Turned out good, I think.

IMG_0247.jpg

Here's the elevator floor again after cutting and painting it to look like wood planks. Turned out good, I think.

IMG_0247.jpg
    Excellent!
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack