Thread: ... just add some paint (maybe something for the last fans on the fence...)

... just add some paint (maybe something for the last fans on the fence...)

Hi all! - wow, my first Topic. I have been reading here for Ages, subbed the first time the line went in Troubles and my first post was: " I just orderd my Castle grayskull"

for now, I wanted to share my (Amateur) work with fellow fans here quite for some time - and decided to do it now.
    Because in the past, I often read about paintjobs not well done, or completely missing because of cost cutting - and some might be turned of the line because of these issues.
    I also did not like what was done with some the weapons and armors, etc. so I decided to try and paint them by myself. Just a dot here or a line there - but I think it adds quite some charme.

I am no Artist, I never did this before - so, I am sure the more skilled could do muuuuuch better - but I wanted to Show what you can do, with just spending about 15 USD and a bit of time to pimp up the figures and have them painted the way you like them.

I used revell paint without a finisher - so the paint would easyly come off, in case you dont want it anymore that way.

Ok, here we go, with the Pictures, hope you enjoy them.
    Last but not least: sorry for my bad english - I dont have to use it all day.

I really do hope we can make it. Without a Dragstor... nope, the line is not complete...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like that detailing on Extendars shield, might have to copy that.
    I too painted Blades swords. I also painted Buzz-Pffs insect legs to match the colour of his regular arms and legs. Gave Jitsu his Staction sword, painted Skeletors nails black etc. Just tiny details but they make a difference and it can be quite satisfying doing it yourself.

I really like the gold touches on Karatti's gun. I might try that myself.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Bad English? Nope, Perhaps it's my inability to correctly use punctuation and my habit of spelling errors, But your English looked perfect to me.

Like any skill, You'll get better in time. I wish I never gave up drawing, but I did so because I compared my work to others. That was just stupid of me...
    Your work is great. Better then my attempts and I took art classes for like 10 years

To your suggestion, at the price we are paying, I feel like paint apps should not be sacrificed as much as they have. I'm not as good as you are at it. Your lucky you have a talent for it

I especially like your choice of color and application to Castaspella's and Extendar's shield and Karriti's weapon (whatever that thing is!)
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Only compare your work to others when it leads to self-improvement. Never when it cuts you down.

Heroic Warrior
    Practice make perfect....I got a pair of Shapeways swords for Blade that I painted myself, and they look much better than the ones he came with and are much more in scale with his size. I also (with mix results but it doesn't look bad....painting small thin lines without getting any paint on the blue of the cape wasn't really easy) painted Razz's cape and made her boots higher up to the "poof" (much easier and much better) and also yesterday painted on of the Snake-Men warriors a shade of green to add some variation in terms of the color.

So really; If you think what you did makes your figures and accessories look better, that's all that matters.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

In fact, LFE... Why not show off some art, or start a new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    I really like the gold touches on Karatti's gun. I might try that myself.
    I thought his accessories were kinda bland, this really makes them pop, nice work all around!
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Only compare your work to others when it leads to self-improvement. Never when it cuts you down.
    Good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    In fact, LFE... Why not show off some art, or start a new thread?
    lack of confidence, ability and time. I need to practice more, though I've contemplating posting doodles to FB, where I know people will not mock me, but thanks for the encouragement.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Dude, a lack of confidence is universal in the arts - in all the arts! The trick is to shut off that voice and train it so it can give you advice that helps, and not push you down. It's hard, but worth it - if you enjoy doing something, then do it! The more you practice your art, the better it'll be :-)

We have this unrealistic American Idol expectation that if you aren[t super-good at an art right out of the gate, you should go home. This is a lie - innate talent may give you an edge, but practice is what wins in the end, just like any other skill. And we all suck at things until we get good, the champs are those who stick it out.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Its a really simple equation.

25% more deco hits from self painting fans + 10% cost increase for 2015 + 100% free MOTUC campaign on Twitter to ensure 10% sales for Mattel = 1736.3947.3002.00% profit margins! Mattel wins again!
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

I really feel honored with all that positive Feedback here.
    Thanks alot.
    And I am more than happy if I inspired some of you to try These small paint apps on their own figures.

Karatti and Stinkor were the first two I took on the accessories - I was really stunned how cool especially Karatti (I hated the vintage Version of him...) looked in hnad, but I felt, his "weapon" (yeah, whatever that Thing is ) looked really bland.
    and with Stinkor: tons of stuff with him - all in solid blue... meh, it had to be painted

I agree, I would also prefer to have them with all the apps out of the package - but when I take a look at other toylines... Turtles come in my mind (yes they are cheaper), but here the paintjobs are really at the bare Basics.

just for a bit of distraction here on this fateful Weekend, two additonal pics from my added paintjobs.

lets hope for another year of great figures... with some minor paintjobs missing
    IMG_2447.jpgIMG_2446.jpg

how do u get the paint to hold where there hands hafe to be. I cant keep pant on that part

Quote Originally Posted by thegrifter.316 View Post
    how do u get the paint to hold where there hands hafe to be. I cant keep pant on that part
    do you mean on the weapon handles?
    in fact, also my paint rubbs off, when I remove the weapons - but I guess, if you use some finisher after painting it, there should be no Problem.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    nice.
    I always loving making paint ap modifications to my weapons & accessories.
    I love to post a few some time.

karatii.JPG
    sir lassor lot.JPG
    two-bad.JPG
    snake man at arms.JPG
    stinkor (2).JPG
    Last edited by kylun flac; September 16, 2014 at 06:05pm.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Funny I had done that soon after I go karatti.
    it was to bland being one solid color.
    I was first going to go with purple.
    but I remembered an old 80s stario action figure that had black & gold themed body & weapons.
    thats were I got the inspiration. Im glad I did, now he really pops!
    gold on the gun & blade.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor