Thread: Lifesize Toy/Comic Style Power Sword

Hybrid View

Lifesize Toy/Comic Style Power Sword

I was going to wait and debut this when it was a little further along, but figured why not go ahead and do it now. The journey is half the fun, right?

This has been a long time coming for me. I've wanted a good version of the Power Sword since I was about 3 pretty much. I actually started one of these about 10 years ago, while I was in college. Same basic idea, but it was made completely from clay, and was much more freehand. Needless to say, it didn't turn out very well. For this one I wanted to ensure symmetry as much as possible. You can basically divide it in half lengthwise and widthwise, and get four quadrants. I figured I'd make half of it, mold, cast twice, and then joing together to try and at least save some work from one side to other. I cut a profile template out of 1/8" Masonite, screwed that down to backing boards, then glued green floral foam onto that. I made another template out of 1"x 6" that had the curve of the thickness of the sword that I wanted. On the bottom of it, I screwed a piece of the same Masonite to get it raised off the backing board the same amount as the sword, then pass the template over the foam until that lip meets the Masonite under the sword. That should ensure pretty good symmetry on both sides. I'll get a picture of it later and I'm sure it will make a lot more sense. I carved the foam down a little lower than what the template would hit it at, then sealed with some fiberglass resin. I know floral foam isn't really the most ideal kind to use for this, but hey, I had some laying around. I first tried coating it with drywall mud, which worked ok, except I would end up finding some soft spots from where the foam would move under the hardened resin. I didn't use any mat with the resin, to try and keep it as clean as possible, so in some areas it wasn't as solid as it needed to be. I just cut those areas out, re-fiberglassed, and then just started bondoing from there, rather than drywall mud. At first, I was holding the sandpaper on by hand, which just didn't work for long. I then started clamping the sandpaper to it, which also didn't work too well. Then it hit me, adhesive backed sandpaper, DUH. That's sped things up tremendously. It's been through many rounds of mudding and sanding, and still has many more to go. Once this part is done, I'll add the raised area in the middle, side guards, and handle. I left them off for now since it was easier to get to the inside of the curves, and I haven't decided exactly how they'll look yet since there are so many variations. Also, the bottom is going to change a good bit, so pay no attention to it right now.

It's still very rough right now, but hopefully you guys can see the potential. I'll get more pics up soon if anyone's interested. It will look a lot better when it's in primer so it's one solid color, lol.

Thanks for looking!

looks good, keep on it
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

Looks great to me! Can't wait to see the progress to completion.
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

Heroic Warrior
    looks good keep taking pics!!! The toy version of the Power Sword is my favorite I made Two out of wood (pics in my albums) for my Halloween Costume This year.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    I can definitely see the potential. Looks like it will be perfect by the time you are done.

Thanks guys!

Keller, the swords and shield look awesome!

Here's some pics from when I started. First, the Masonite template:

Then the floral foam glued on:

The other template, and how I'm using it:

And finally a now shot, stuck in mudding and sanding purgatory, . Mud, sand. Mud, sand. Mud, sand. A couple more rounds and all the low spots should be gone:

Still here, believe it or not. With the holidays and other stuff, just didn't have a lot of time to mess with it a lot. It's coming along pretty well now, finally starting to look presentable:

Pay no attention to the split near the bottom. The sides down there will get fattened up and addressed when I add the hand guards, so I'll take care of the split then. Also, the lines from the sides going into the middle aren't finished all the way to the center, but the raised area will cover that up so I'm not worried about it. I planned on wet sanding and polishing it up to 1500 or 2000, but I was stupid and used a piece of MDF as the main board, Also, the Masonite doesn't like water either, so I have to be really careful. It'll mean having to do it twice, but I'll probably just wait and do the super high grits when i get the two sides cast and together. There's still a few tiny things here and there that need fixing, but it's getting there. Now to add the raised part. I may photoshop up some hand guards soon too, just to see which style exactly I'm going to use.

Still just the one from yesterday. I should have some more soon though. Thanks for the reply!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Heroic Warrior
    Great work. It would be nice, once finished to take your sword for casting by a blacksmith if any exist anymore and have him/her take the cast and fill it with molten steel! AFter a few days, a metal power sword!

Any new pics on this project?
    One with the Power

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Help save the Stargate series vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

I've been working more in Photoshop lately than on the sword itself. Trying to decide which direction to go with the crossguard. Here's two ways I'm leaning right now. The one on the left is inspired by the old yellow and black light up sword which is a style that I've always kind of liked. The one on the right is obviously more the original toy, traditional version. Any thoughts?

The one on the left is much better!!, very Alcala inspired!!
    One with the Power

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Help save the Stargate series vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! I love your work as well, so it really means something.

I really can't wait to see it either!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

There will definitely be a mold made, so yes, if others are interested, I'd be honored! I just can't decide how many I want myself, lol. At least a He-man, Skeletor and Faker. But there's so many possibilities! Adam, TP He-man, Weapons Pack, heck, Wun-dar, Classics style of all of those with metallic blades, etc. I'm also curious to see one half grey, half purple.

I'm still working on the raised area in the middle if the blade. Just haven't gotten it perfect yet. It's so tempting to just move on and fix it later, but anything like that will just have to be fixed twice later, with the way I'm doing it. It's just not exactly how I want it yet.

It's really humbling and awesome to hear others do like it and can see the potential, so I honestly mean it when I say thanks! It also helps to show my wife that I'm not crazy.

Thanks a lot! I've had to take a break on it as my sister-in-law gave us her old wooden dollhouse her grandfather made her as a kid. They have two boys and are done having kids, so they won't get to use it. She thought our daughter would love it. It needs some TLC though, so my extra time is going into refurbishing it. Afterwards, it's right back on the sword!

Thanks again for everyone's comments!

Thanks!

Masterenglish, yep, you're right. Sometimes to a fault I guess. I can see little things that just drive me nuts, even though no one else can probably see them. I just want it to be RIGHT, especially if there's a chance one could end up on someone else's shelf.

Thanks hadley! I always look forward to updating it. I'm just sorry that it's maddeningly infrequent.

Dang, that's kinda cold Mat

This is one of the coolest large scale projects ever.