Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lifesize Toy/Comic Style Power Sword

Thanks hadley! I always look forward to updating it. I'm just sorry that it's maddeningly infrequent.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Great work
    Frieden gibt es nicht, nur Leidenschaft.
    Durch Leidenschaft erlange ich Stärke.
    Durch Stärke erlange ich Macht.
    Durch Macht erlange ich den Sieg.
    Durch den Sieg zerbersten meine Ketten.
    ...Die Macht wird mich befreien.

I have the Power!!

neat but really surprised its taken this long to finish..Im the kind of guy that when I start something I lose sleep until its done..

Yeah, I know, it's been VERY slow going. I used to be more like that, lol. It really comes down to work and family coming first. I could honestly carve out more time, but mainly at the expense of family. My kids are 1 and 4 and I'm still soaking in every second that I can while they're at this golden age. After they go down, I spend time with my wife and then it's time to go to bed and do it all again. When I do get to work on it, it always seems like I've been re-doing the same parts over and over to get them the way I want them. I'm going to just have to forego some sleep though, because I really want to get done!

Thanks for the comments guys!

An update, finally! It was finally time to join the two halves and finish the cutting edge. The edges weren't exactly even any longer just due to all the shaping. I had a couple more blanks already cut from when I originally planned on making all four "quadrants", for lack of a better word, rather than just make two and mold them. I clamped the pieces to one of the blanks so I'd have a template to build up both sides to. Some refinement would still be needed, but it would get me pretty close.

Some parts were closer than others:

I used Apoxie Sculpt to build up to the edge:

Again, there was some refinement afterwards, but not much. The halves are now joined, cleaned up the lines and it's FINALLY time to move on to hilt. I wasn't happy with the space between the wide part of the blade and the closest part of the cross guard, so I added in a couple of strips of masonite to space them out more.

Roughly trimmed:

I'm working on building the cross guard thickness with Apoxie Sculpt, blending etc., now. I hope to have some more updates soon. I don't expect this part to take as long, but we'll see. I've actually gotten a little further than these pics, but they're all I have for the moment.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone!

Some more progress. This is just about the cross guard end, not where it meets the rest of the blade. It's a lot easier to deal with the end while I can still pick it up and sand all sides easily, rather than fighting trying to sand the inside when it's fixed next to the wide part of the blade. I'll address the bottom half once I have this part done.

It's coming along, but I'm still not 100% sure how I'm going to handle it. It looks a little blocky and unfinished at certain angles, but others it doesn't bother me as much.

The rough area in the center is just where the wood is peeking through the Apoxie Sculpt. I'll get it smoothed out more.

I'm not sure if I want to round off the edges or not. I probably will at least a bit, as the sharp edges don't flow with the raised center section. Sometimes it's easier to round them off uniformly after getting them sharp uniformly. I'm thinking about thinning the edge closest to you in the third picture. So it's a little thicker on the inside, closest to the blade and thins out a little toward the outside, and then round the edges some. Something to give it a little more diversity and look a little more visually interesting, rather than just a big, blocky shape. I'll just have to play with it, honestly.

Update! Whaddya know? I've rounded them off a bit, so they don't feel like blocks, but they're also not just completely round shapes. There's some nuances for the shadows to play off of. There's also a few more spots to perfect, but I wanted to go ahead and get some pics up to see what people thought.

Here's a couple of QUICK photoshops to get an idea of how it will look:

Opinions? I'll get the area where it meets the blade cleaned up next. I'm actually going to be ordering the silicone and resin in the next couple of days.

Look, there's light at the end of the tunnel!

IQ test results: negative sdilks's Avatar
    Looks great! Very Clean!!!

Can't wait to see more!
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us." -B.W.

Thank you very much! I'll have some more pics soon.

Each update gets me a little more excited. Can't wait for the end result!

I'm just glad people haven't lost interest with it taking so long.

Wow! It's Getting there!! Can't wait to see the next update!!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

That looks absolutely excellent! Love the style of Power Sword you picked. The 3 versions you had in the Photoshop mock-up are all very nice. Can't wait to see the final product.

Will we see it at Power-Con by any chance?
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

Thanks guys!

Man, I would LOVE to go to Power-Con, but I just don't think I'll be able to afford it. Perhaps one or two will be purchased and make their way there though. It would be awesome to see them in pictures there!

Also, we've hit a point of no return. I've ordered the supplies for molding and casting. Definitely not cheap, but I'm excited! So now it's either I'll be able to make swords, orrrr I'll be sleeping on the couch for quite a while once my wife finds out how much the supplies cost.

Some progress. Roughed in one side. It's getting there, but still more to go. It's the little things in these places that take so long, but it'll be worth it in the end. Lots of bondo or putty, sanding, primer to see better where you're at. Rinse and repeat. Then the different materials vary in hardness so it makes it hard to get everything perfect. A few things might be easier to fix once I make the resin copies, but then I'll have to do them twice. We'll see.

After some fresh primer:

Getting there!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I can't wait to order one.

Believe it or not, this project is still going! Vacation, getting caught up in the Big Lots hoopla, etc., took some time away for a bit. Plus it just took some time to do my first silicone mold. I went with a 2-part brush on, which made for more work and more time. I learned a lot though. Definitely some ways to make it better and faster next time. I didn't take a lot of pictures since I'd never done it before and my hands were always too gross to pic up a camera or my phone. I'll take some good pics with the final mold hopefully, though. This one didn't turn out pretty and has a few issues, but overall I guess I can't complain too much.

And then there were two!

It looks kinda like ThunderPunch He-Man's sword! I didn't do the rice trick to get an idea how much resin to mix up, so I wound up doing three or four smaller pours back to back to get it filled up, which caused some of the imperfections you can see inside. This is Smooth Cast 326, which is designed to be tinted, but this is without tint. Sorry for the crappy pics.

There's a little bit of shrinkage from the original, but not too bad. I hope to get another poured up tomorrow. It's VERY surreal to see the negative cavity of a shape that you've spent so much time with when looking into the empty mold. It's also very surreal to suddenly be holding a copy.

I'm really looking forward to finally finishing this up. It's definitely been a long time coming. The resin will let me nail all the flaws that the wood & bondo wouldn't since it was starting to warp from moisture. It's also cool to finally see two halves together!

Man, it's almost there! I bet you're beyond psyched to get that first one done. You won't be able to resist doing all the "I have the power" poses and moves... I know I wouldn't!

Heroic Warrior
    I was thinking of making one for my self, but you know what , I couldn't do it better than that put me down for one mate, it looks fantastic

Thanks a lot guys! Yeah hadley, it was awesome. I'm sure I won't be able to resist the temptation to do so. I'm already thinking I have to get the weight just right so it will fit comfortably in the back of your shirt.

Thanks a lot Zombihamma-AI! I love your castle as well! It came out perfectly! If I weren't getting the Mattel one, I would jump all over it, but I'm not sure where I'm going to put one yet, much less two!

This is looking so awesome, please keep building! I've decoded to make a skeletor costume so I neeed one lol, plus the only sword even remotely close to your quality costs almost $500 ! http://www.ebay.com/itm/251331780333?redirect=mobile
    God I hate Stratos.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Very nice updates. That one on Ebay is well done, but I like your design a lot better, its less cartoony and more realistic. Its really a perfect design man, I cannot wait until I am hopefully able to get one of these. Congats on that successful cast, and in translucent yellow how cool is that!!

Maul, it's almost November! Castle Grayskull is coming this Christmas! Finish that sword and take my money man - take it! With a castle and life size power sword my childhood dreams will be complete. You wouldn't deny a man-child his dreams would you??
    Last edited by Matt-el; October 23, 2013 at 11:37pm.
    Rocketed to Eternia in a spaceship from a doomed planet, Matt-el can doom or save The Masters of the Universe with the power of a single corporate decision..

Just wow. Exactly how I would have done one! Can't wait to see the final piece!

Still watching this thread