Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lifesize Toy/Comic Style Power Sword

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Still watching this thread
    Same here man! This guy is truly a perfectionist, I hope we can all share this wonderful piece of art.

Widget
    You're getting so close! Don't leave us hanging! It looks awesome!

Did you ever finish this sword bro?
    God I hate Stratos.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftJustice View Post
    Did you ever finish this sword bro?
    respectable question!

Heroic Warrior
    Come on let's see it, it's got to be done by now

I'm sorry guys, somehow I missed the last few replies. Thanks for taking the time to check in though!

I'll just leave this here for now...

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Mind-blowing.

I'm sorry, that's all I have right now...
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

amazing! Your hard work has definitely paid off. Are you making a mold? I am in for one if so! If you're not making a mold sell me your original!
    God I hate Stratos.

Thank you so much guys!

Swift, a mold does exist!

It actually started life as Skeletor's:

The flashing wasn't too terrible. It was all very thin. Some more bolts and possibly some straps should help with that, I hope. It was slush cast, poured from the handle. I actually painted some resin in both sides first, let it start setting up, then bolted the halves together and slush cast a few rounds. It really needs some sort of a core support, though. I think I'm going to try a 2 part expanding foam, but I'm worried that it won't make it all the way down the blade before it starts expanding. We'll see. My hope is that I can get a more even coat of resin on the outside, backed by the expanding foam, and get a more even color.

Unfortunately, there are some problems, though. If you like your props all Star Wars-y and wonky, it's right up your alley! It's not terrible, but it has some symmetry issues. Some of the things I did to try and avoid symmetry problems actually probably caused more issues. The biggest problem is the handle. The friggin' thing came loose when I was pretty much done claying everything up. I thought I got it back in there straight, but I should've removed everything from the clay to be sure. It's mostly noticeable when looking down the thinner, cutting edge side. Holding it makes that go away though.

Even though it's not perfect, (I've been trying to remember the "Done is better than perfect" philosophy,) it's still pretty damn cool! It has a great presence, especially when holding it. It's bigger than it seems! I was surprised when I took a pic holding it. I guess I'd gotten so used to it, and the handle hadn't been attached, it seemed much smaller than the finished piece is. I'll get a better pic of someone holding it. Not that you can really see me, but I'm 5' 10" to give you an idea. I don't have the sword in front of me, but I think it hit 38.25" long, and is 7.5" at the widest point. It's really wild how much the perspective of a pic can make it seem so much shorter.

I hadn't used the hammered paint before, so I thought I'd give it a try, and I knew it would help pick up the weathering. I'm pretty happy for a first attempt at both.

They were out of my normal primers so I ended up using some black primer on the original before molding. It looked good! Wun-dar anyone???

Again, not perfect, but this has been such a long time coming for me. It was worth all the time and effort, for sure. Holding it was a 30 year old dream come true! And yes, it does fit down the back of your shirt.

gorgeous work my friend! I've been following your thread with bated breath hoping I would never have to make one myself if I could get just one really good replica. But they all seem to have something slightly wrong with them! Even the one that Mattel put out at their booth was too wide and too cartoony. Yours is just awesome. Let me know what you would charge for a casting as it will be the pride of my wall! Thanks and let me know I don't mind the imperfections and honestly you're too hard on yourself you can't even see them!
    God I hate Stratos.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Looks cool! Take your shirt off and pose with it!
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

Thank you very much again, SwiftJustice! It really means a lot to hear that others like it. It's something I've wanted for a very long time, but I hope it can be something that others can possibly enjoy too. I tried to make it what I kept wanting to see, as I'm with you, the others weren't just what I was looking for. Not to say mine is perfect, but different than others I've seen. To imagine that it could bring someone else happiness is really cool! I've cleared a little space in my Inbox now, I'm sorry it was full again. I'm going to make another one soon, just let me see how that goes with the expanding foam and I'll get with you! If anyone else is interested, drop me a line.

Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    Looks cool! Take your shirt off and pose with it!
    I don't think that's going to be good for anyone! I tried to make it a little larger as He-Man would be a fairly big dude. I didn't want it to be so large that it look crazy if someone average size wanted to cosplay with it or something, though. I hope I hit a good balance. It may sound funny, but one thing I tried to keep in mind is the silhouette it creates when you have it on your back. I tried to hit that right amount of the handle sticking up over your shoulder, with the some of the blade sticking out off the opposite diagonal end of your torso. But, that's me, average 5' 10", so it might not work for everyone.

PM when you are ready to start shipping Maul!
    The casts look great.

Will do, thanks man! I'm hoping to get one cast over the weekend, possibly. Hopefully the foam core will go well and give it the extra strength it needs.

Maul, your inbox is full.
    Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

Sorry, room now!

That's an awesome sword..
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks Neo! That's an awesome Scare Glow as well! :skink:

I just wanted to give a quick update. I'm still doing some test castings to get it where I want it. Each one has been better than the last!

This is really amazing work! Just awesome!

This turned out SO nice. Man, I want one!