Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lou Scheimer Gallery Dedication at the Toonseum in Pittsburgh

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar

Lou Scheimer Gallery Dedication at the Toonseum in Pittsburgh

I went to the Lou Scheimer Gallery dedication at the Toonseum in Pittsburgh, PA today. I was able to talk to both Lou and Erika, plus there was a great turnout for the event! It was also declared Lou Scheimer Day by Pittsburgh city councilman at the event.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Heroic Warrior
    Freakin' awesome!

That's really groovy, thanks for sharing.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    So cool! Thanks for sharing the pics!

me too!
    how did i miss you there, jon?!?! i knew scotward was there too, but we didn't think any other orgers were in attendance.
    yes, it was a very special event, and i believe Lou was truly honored. and he and Erika were delightful to talk to, and were both very kind to me and my family... a dream-come-true experience!

Attached Images Attached Images

kevin - I totally saw you from afar as in (Hey wait -- I think I know him!). I didn't see scotward.

Man those swords are just sick!!!! Why can't Mattel do a deal with the people / company who own the mould to produce more and just 12 of each. They could do a pre-order to see how many fans would buy. $1,200 is a bit to rich for my blood but if they came down to $150-200 I would pick up both.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

The swords look FANTASTIC!
    Now if only they'd get used in the upcoming live action movie...

Cool stuff.

Maybe they can donate one of the swords for the live-action She-Ra series.

a Muppet of a man...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I didn't see scotward.
    I was waaaay in the back for the ceremony, but it was really cool to see the Toonseum and the city of Pittsburgh honor Mr. Scheimer this way.

also fun... I got to hold the sword. For a brief moment there, I had the power!

Scotward - you lucky duck getting to hold the sword!!

Was Lou having a good time? In some of those early photos he looked rather serious. Hopefully he did

The swords look really cool, but is it wrong that I want some kind of in-depth review of them, with tons of pictures, and maybe a video of them rotating around from every angle?

Pixel Dan has made me used to such things

For instance, does the She-Ra Sword's jewel go all-the-way through the sword? I MUST KNOW!

Congrats Lou - you deserve it!

EDIT: Just watched the video and yup, it does indeed look like Lou was enjoying himself and joking around with the crowd I love Lou and Erika!
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; November 14, 2011 at 02:11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post
    I was waaaay in the back for the ceremony, but it was really cool to see the Toonseum and the city of Pittsburgh honor Mr. Scheimer this way.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...e/PB120228.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...e/PB120236.jpg
    How did the sword feel? Heavy? Fiberglass? Foam?

Inquireing minds would like to know.

Great pics, thanks for showing them.

Here's the sword when it was being cast:

And here is a nice close up of the sword of protection:

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post
    You know you didn't deserve to hold that sword, Scooter! Man, the Sorceress is really letting her standards slip as far as Power Sword recipients go...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

a Muppet of a man...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Scotward - you lucky duck getting to hold the sword!!
    Yeah, that was pretty cool. The Toonseum guys I talked to were really nice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    How did the sword feel? Heavy? Fiberglass? Foam?
    Not heavy. Hollow and light without being flimsy, I guess is how I would describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    You know you didn't deserve to hold that sword, Scooter! Man, the Sorceress is really letting her standards slip as far as Power Sword recipients go...

Quote Originally Posted by Scotward
    Not heavy. Hollow and light without being flimsy, I guess is how I would describe it.

i'd say that's a great description. i was surprised by how light they were, yet i agree they did NOT feel flimsy at all. and, despite their size, both my little girls were able to hold them up with ease!

Attached Images Attached Images

Kevin your pics are amazing, your little girls look so cute holding She-Ra's sword, their grins are priceless.

Here are some more pictures of the swords!

Last edited by Angel-T; November 14, 2011 at 09:49pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Omg i so want this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Man those swords are just sick!!!! Why can't Mattel do a deal with the people / company who own the mould to produce more and just 12 of each. They could do a pre-order to see how many fans would buy. $1,200 is a bit to rich for my blood but if they came down to $150-200 I would pick up both.
    I'm kind of hoping Mattel has been waiting for these pricy charity swords to sell and then they will unveil their cheaper, lower-end swords to sell on Matty or have at SDCC for the 30th anniversary. Outside of shipping and maybe internal policy issues, swords should be cheap to produce and Mattel would make a killing.

The event looked like tons of fun. I've never been to Philly so I'll make it a point to visit the gallery if I ever make it to Philly.

Mattel should just buy the moulds of these swords IMO, all the work has been done for them here. They must have owned the moulds or original swords at one time as they were created for the Macy's event? Surely they can make this sword if they want to. Personally I would much rather have true Filmation swords of Power and Protection over any of the toy sword designs from any of the toylines if we have a real chance at a full scale sword. I really hope these swords catch scott's eye or someone else from Mattel who could make something happen here. They are just perfect, but hey I am just a biased Filmation kid! It's even more special to see Erica and Lou holding them high in the air before they open the gallery.
    Last edited by Angel-T; November 15, 2011 at 01:45am.

Kevin your pics are amazing, your little girls look so cute holding She-Ra's sword, their grins are priceless.
    Thanks Angel-T!!!

Personally I would much rather have the Filmation swords of power and protection over any of the toy sword designs if we have a chance at a full scale sword. I really hope these swords catch scott's eye or someone else from Mattel who could make something happen here. They are just perfect.
    i TOTALLY agree. they really are "perfect" (size, shape, weight), and i thought i would mention in case anyone is curious/interested...
    both swords are being made (to orderer's specification) in either glossy finish (as you see me, scott, my girls, she-ra, and lou and erika holding) OR in a matte finish like the ones you see in Angel-T's post. personally, i thought the matte looked much better.... just seemed even MORE toon-accurate!
    so... anyone on here gonna order one of these for $1200??? (and if you've got that kinda extra cash lying around, would ya mind getting ME one, too?

it's very high, but I totally get the price, it's a limited run and Lou will be signing them as well. But now we have seen that the Filmation sword designs can work as a real sword maybe we should approach Classic Media about putting a similar sword out there. (Mattel seem to have no interest in doing so). It's MOTU'c 30th so what a great time to bring something like this to market at a more affordable price point so more fans can be able to buy it. I wish Toonzeam would just get permission / the rights from Classic Media to make these swords in a larger run or do a pre-order fat a more affordable price, say $200-350. They would still make a killing of the back of the many many extra swords they would sell!
    Last edited by Angel-T; November 15, 2011 at 02:05am.

Thanks for sharing, TheShadow. And thanks to the others for sharing those great sword pics!

Yes, these pics are beautiful. And thanks for posting those pics with your girls, Kevin, because you can see how the Sword of Protection is raised near the jewel, the way it's supposed to be Unlike the Matty toy versions, which are flat on either side...gah. I'm a stickler for details like those!

*insert Filmation model art of the swords here*

I especially love the shot of Erika with Lou sitting, with his hand on the Power Sword. Awww. I love them