Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well what do you know, kids do know what He-Man is

It is not where I am that matters, it is when

Well what do you know, kids do know what He-Man is

So I just finished student teaching for my Master's program and had this hilarious moment that occured last month. One of the kids in my class says something about not doing his homework because he has power and I raised my arm in the air with my pen in my hand and said, "You will do your homework because I have the power." One of the other kids jolts his head towards me and says, "You watch He-Man?!" with this look of awe that I am familiar with the show. I look at him and say, "You know what He-Man is?"
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    So I just finished student teaching for my Master's program and had this hilarious moment that occured last month. One of the kids in my class says something about not doing his homework because he has power and I raised my arm in the air with my pen in my hand and said, "You will do your homework because I have the power." One of the other kids jolts his head towards me and says, "You watch He-Man?!" with this look of awe that I am familiar with the show. I look at him and say, "You know what He-Man is?"
    That is awesome!

Did you tell him about MOTUC???
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    That is awesome!

Did you tell him about MOTUC???
    He's 10!

But yes, I did.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    He's 10!

But yes, I did.
    Well, he's probably too young for the Org, but he's not too young to buy a Subscr... oh, wait... he can't

Well, he has a lot of catching up to do! He can go to Matty and start buyi... oh, no... he can't do that either

What the HECK!?!?

How are we supposed to recruit new young fans??
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm a university lecturer here in New Zealand and I teach a course on political geography where I discuss the relationship between space and power. Anyway, I use a Youtube video of Adam changing into He-Man to emphasize a particular point I make in one of my lectures, and no one has a clue. I then ask the class if anybody knows who He-Man is and I get a bunch of blank stares. Very sad.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Have had a lot of college students who used to see the commemorative figures I used to have in my office who would stop in just to say they remembered He-Man and had some of the figures as a kid. Knowing there are kids even younger out there who know the big guy, though, does give one hope.

Sadly, though, I have yet to meet someone out here in the real world who knows He-Man from the 2002 toon or figures. The recognition always comes from the originals...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Adroit Academic Professor Griffin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    I'm a university lecturer here in New Zealand and I teach a course on political geography where I discuss the relationship between space and power. Anyway, I use a Youtube video of Adam changing into He-Man to emphasize a particular point I make in one of my lectures, and no one has a clue. I then ask the class if anybody knows who He-Man is and I get a bunch of blank stares. Very sad.
    I'm a college professor in Washington, DC. I sneaked a MOTU reference into a commencement speech a few years back. My phone started lighting up like a Christmas tree during the speech with texts from various students in the audience with a knowing, "Oh, I see what you did there..."
    Zodac is the name for God on the lips of all fanboys.

For my students final exam English, I once used the article about the launch of the classics line as a reading comprehension text.
    Prior to that I used the Filmation intro as a listening test.

It all started with me wearing an Orko T-shirt to class...

My students really enjoyed it!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Griffin View Post
    I'm a college professor in Washington, DC. I sneaked a MOTU reference into a commencement speech a few years back. My phone started lighting up like a Christmas tree during the speech with texts from various students in the audience with a knowing, "Oh, I see what you did there..."
    Well I guess its just New Zealanders who don't know He-Man... I'm actually Canadian myself.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Sadly, though, I have yet to meet someone out here in the real world who knows He-Man from the 2002 toon or figures. The recognition always comes from the originals...
    That is because the original was advertised and had tons of merchandise out there. 200X and MOTUC are a seeeeecret.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

HD figures on youtube
    That is because the original was advertised and had tons of merchandise out there. 200X and MOTUC are a seeeeecret.
    I've heard this on here before, and it always confuses me. Am I the ONLY one that watched tv back when the 200X cartoon was on? There where two or three toy commercials for the line, and I remember, because I would geek out every time I saw them.

And for merchandise, NOTHING can match the originals, but 200X did in fact have some. They had bed sets, and even throw pillows of both He-Man & Skeletor. There was a fighting game(like rockem robots), and they where even featured as a Happy Meal for a week. You know how many kids eat a happy meal in a week?

For kids to NOT know about He-Man, they had to be living under a rock.

And for MOTUC? In toyfare many many times, and on Attack Of The Show several times, which is tv's geek central.
    Last edited by BCreviews4628; December 7, 2011 at 02:21pm.

Well, my own three kids obviously know about MotU from me, but I am often surprised that my students know about Masters as well. I have the 200x He-Man role-playing sword hanging in my classroom and many students have commented on the "He-Man" sword. Yes, a few of them watched the 200X show. Since they are 16,17,18 now, they would have been around 8-12 years old when it came out, so that is about the target age for the show.

BTW: I also use an old Skylone figure as an example when I teach centripetal force.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I have my whole school of preschoolers indoctrinated. Plus, Hulu, YouTube, and a one or two cable channels air the old stuff. We read one MOTU storybook every Friday, too. plus, for each letter we learn in class, I bring in a corresponding Classics figure.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I would think that since 200x is almost 10 years old most kids today or at least teenagers would remember that as He-Man. It's pretty cool that they reference the original, kinda sad for 200x.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Kids have had their chance.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Well, he's probably too young for the Org, but he's not too young to buy a Subscr... oh, wait... he can't

Well, he has a lot of catching up to do! He can go to Matty and start buyi... oh, no... he can't do that either

What the HECK!?!?

How are we supposed to recruit new young fans??
    This has been my feeling for a while. Especially every time I go to a toy store, Walmart, Target, etc.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Am I the ONLY one that watched tv back when the 200X cartoon was on?
    There was a HE-MAN cartoon back in the early 2000s?!!?

I kid... I kid...

DUKE, what you said was hilarious, aggrivating, and 100% true. Heck... a lot of the adults that love this line have trouble getting stuff, but that's a whoooole other story.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

I think that many speak about the failure of the 200x series without knowing the number of audience that the series made in america and the rest of the world.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Kids have had their chance.
    My kids LOVE all things MOTU. I've taught them well.

I had to buy two more subscriptions this year, because of introducing my boys to MOTU. They prefer MOTUC to any toyline in the retail stores. I've created a couple of little MOTU monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I think that many speak about the failure of the 200x series without knowing the number of audience that the series made in america and the rest of the world.
    I am very interested in this topic. I am one of the crusaders for the 200x show and I find that amoungst fans in their late 20's early 30's they didn't watch the show or just didn't give it a chance. Even among the people who's first experience watching MOTU was on DVD some of them didn't give 200x a try or even knew it existed.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    In a 3rd grade classroom full of awesome kids, I find that the one's who know all about He-Man, Filmation, 200X, or otherwise, are the products of their parents teachings..... most of them who have grown up with He-Man like most of us here on the org.

I fear that younger generations will know less and less about MOTU unless a new motion picture sees the light of day, and even then, there is just no way it could ever impact kids like the original had done..... NO WAY.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Nice story, I think MOTU work good on kids, who are not corrupted by Yu-Gi-Oh and other crazy stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Nice story, I think MOTU work good on kids, who are not corrupted by Yu-Gi-Oh and other crazy stuff...
    Hey, there is nothing wrong with Yu-Gi-Oh! In fact, Yu-Gi-Oh! and He-Man share a few minor themes.

I've gotten my 10 year old nephew to have a working knowledge of He-Man & She ra by way of late night Qubo fests.

He's not exactly super into him, but he brings Masters refrences into coversation with me now, and is curious about all these colourful characters and there relationships.

It's nice to have him out of nowhere ask me "does Beastman like working for Skeletor" or "Why is the Faceless one Faceless". He likes my toys as well, I should have mentioned, and likes to know the stories behind the characters as I get them.

Actually now I think of it, the toys are why he was curious about the show. I showed him the 200x series, but he likes the Filmation one better.