Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Centurions coming to DVD via Warner Archive MOD

Dear BCI! Please release 'CENTURIONS: Power X Treme' on DVD!

What a dream!

CENTURIONS is the greatest cartoon which ever graced planet Earth.

BCI Guy? What about such a terrific release?

(please, man, tell me if Blackstar and Filmation's Ghostbusters are selling good too ).
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Isnt Centurions a Ruby/Spears production and thus tied up with either Hanna Barbera or Warner Bros??

But I guess Rambo was also a R/S production and ended up at Lionsgate

I would kill for a release of that, I still have the figures at home!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    What a dream!

CENTURIONS is the greatest cartoon which ever graced planet Earth.

BCI Guy? What about such a terrific release?
    Doubt it's one we'd go after. The "smaller" 80s shows do not do well on DVD.

(please, man, tell me if Blackstar and Filmation's Ghostbusters are selling good too ).
    They aren't.

Oh no. Bad news.

maybe someone will release it as a value item or packed in with other toons. similar to the woody woodpecker release that also contained chilly willy and the bear.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I'd like to Centurions released even though I have all of them recorded already.
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

Not to be a whiner but people... PLEASE title your topics better.

I read this topic's title and I clicked thinking that BCI had announced Centurions for DVD... and instead its just Vanquest asking if they'll do it.

A better title would've been "BCI PLEASE put Centurions on dvd!"

Heroic Warrior Hobby One Kenobi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Star View Post

I read this topic's title and I clicked thinking that BCI had announced Centurions for DVD... and instead its just Vanquest asking if they'll do it.

You are not a whiner, as I agree with you 100% the title was a huge misrepresentation & let down as I was just about to chuck my VCD's into the garbage! But then again shouldn't this have just been put in one of the countless "I wish BCI would release the following show on DVD" threads that pop up every few weeks!

And on a side note 8 Bit I loved your thread over on the Shout boards, but you do realize that you are making very good points to a bunch of uneducated people! It's one of the reasons I stopped posting there & just glance every once in a while. Because all you get is the same tired responses over & over again & Brian just double talking everyone!
    www.ioffer.com

Home of many hard to find classic 80's toons, even though they might be bootlegs.

That's a good point - one I was going to make. My first thought was, "When did we acquire Centurians?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby One Kenobi View Post
    And on a side note 8 Bit I loved your thread over on the Shout boards, but you do realize that you are making very good points to a bunch of uneducated people! It's one of the reasons I stopped posting there & just glance every once in a while. Because all you get is the same tired responses over & over again & Brian just double talking everyone!
    Wow, I didn't know anyone at this forum was reading that thing (then again all the people over there who supported me felt like they were people I should know).

Yeah I've gotten the idea that trying to say anything intelligent on that forum will just go in one ear and out the other. Gave me a new perspective on when you called them "We Couldn't Care Less Factory."

*Sigh* It seems like BCI is the only really worthwhile label that puts out eighties cartoons. I hope Shout shuts down their cartoon business and the rights to all the DIC shows go to BCI (I know that's just wishful thinking but I'd love to see it happen).

At least all of Inspector Gadget is out in Australia. I'm surprised Shout couldn't make a best-seller out of that (and yet they can pump out Mario? Is Mario REALLY selling that well?)

At least all of Inspector Gadget is out in Australia. I'm surprised Shout couldn't make a best-seller out of that (and yet they can pump out Mario? Is Mario REALLY selling that well?)
    Yes. Mario has sold VERY well - on par with Thundercats, He-Man and Transformers.

I've noticed that the cartoon DVDs that tend to sell the best are the ones that are/were available at Target stores.

Quote Originally Posted by N8 STORM View Post
    I've noticed that the cartoon DVDs that tend to sell the best are the ones that are/were available at Target stores.
    That's probably because Target is MUCH more selective about what they bring in, and they tend to be pretty smart about choosing titles.

... I don't really get how that works, BCI Guy. So Target only orders shows they think will sell? Doesn't that kind of create a self-fulfilling prophecy?

And this brings to mind another question I've had lately, and since Shout's been brought up already I guess this is as good a place to ask as any:

Is it really *practical* for a company to complete the releases of seasons for shows that aren't selling? Are there any actual long-term benefits or is it just money down the drain?

And in your opinion, are me and Hobby being unfair in our criticism of Shout Factory?

... I don't really get how that works, BCI Guy. So Target only orders shows they think will sell? Doesn't that kind of create a self-fulfilling prophecy?
    No. When a title sells, say 2000 pieces between Best Buy and (possibly) Wal-Mart, nothing Target does would make a difference. Sure it would add some, but it's just as likely to cause a company even more damage in returns. And Target has to be selective. They don't have a "Best Buy size" section for movies. And they have a very different customer. While Best Buy's main demographic is male, Target's skews much more female, and that fact comes into play when they make decisions. Even Wal-Mart is getting much pickier about what they carry.

And this brings to mind another question I've had lately, and since Shout's been brought up already I guess this is as good a place to ask as any:

Is it really *practical* for a company to complete the releases of seasons for shows that aren't selling? Are there any actual long-term benefits or is it just money down the drain?
    Not really. At some point if sales are low enough, you are really just throwing good money after bad. Sometimes you can get really creative and find ways to make back some of it, but more often than not, it's smarter to stop. In some cases, other options can come into play. How much bad PR will you get for stopping? If you're an independent company that licensed the property from a studio, will it hurt your relationship with them to stop? Is it worth spending the money to help you make future deals?

And in your opinion, are me and Hobby being unfair in our criticism of Shout Factory?
    Shout is one of my favorite companies - I'm a huge fan. They obviously really care about what they do, and they put out some great products. They also make some bad decisions and pay too much for some shows. As far as stopping series when they become unprofitable? As a consumer and fan, i hate it, but I also fully understand why it happens and don't blame studios for doing it.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; January 25, 2008 at 02:10am.

I was also very disappointed after finding out the title's deceiving nature. It's also a shame that a BCI DVD release of the show is unlikely.
    Cat-Tales - Gotham After Dark.

Media Spec - a blog about entertainment and media related to music, video games, and animation. If you have any ideas, comments, or suggestions, please let me know and I'll try to include it.

Guys, please forgive me... "What a dream!", that's why I added that.

BCI Guy, is there any chance Blackstar and Ghostbusters will be regarded as sleeper hits in the future to come? Maybe they are just selling slower than the other products... I would be very sad if the BCI company would drop the ball with both the releases in the next decade, because they sold not that good.
    God, two of the best cartoons... and nobody buy them! Or so you said...

Last edited by Vanquest; January 25, 2008 at 09:10am.

Heroic Warrior Hobby One Kenobi's Avatar
    Wow, I didn't know anyone at this forum was reading that thing (then again all the people over there who supported me felt like they were people I should know).

Yeah I've gotten the idea that trying to say anything intelligent on that forum will just go in one ear and out the other. Gave me a new perspective on when you called them "We Couldn't Care Less Factory."

*Sigh* It seems like BCI is the only really worthwhile label that puts out eighties cartoons. I hope Shout shuts down their cartoon business and the rights to all the DIC shows go to BCI (I know that's just wishful thinking but I'd love to see it happen).

Yeah I used to be a member of that forum, but I got increasing annoyed by not only the lack of common sense of the posters, but when you try to ask Brian a question or an explanation you get the same retread answers. And it gets to the point where he says "I have an explanation for that" but never gives you the answer because he says he can't talk about it?
    www.ioffer.com

Home of many hard to find classic 80's toons, even though they might be bootlegs.

BCI Guy, is there any chance Blackstar and Ghostbusters will be regarded as sleeper hits in the future to come? Maybe they are just selling slower than the other products...
    Very unlikely. I can't see anyway of that happening. There just isn't much interest in either series outside of the diehard fans.

I would be very sad if the BCI company would drop the ball with both the releases in the next decade, because they sold not that good.
    I have no idea what you mean. What "ball would we drop" when we've already completely released both series?

God, two of the best cartoons... and nobody buy them! Or so you said...
    Or so I said? Seriously, what would I possibly have to gain by telling people that they sold poorly?

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    And they have a very different customer. While Best Buy's main demographic is male, Target's skews much more female, and that fact comes into play when they make decisions.
    You know, I never really thought about it until now, but you're right. -- Many years ago I used to work at Target (in stock...and sometimes at the register during a 'code red'..hehe), and the females seemed to dominate that store...

True enough.
    I edited it to be more accurate.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

BCI Guy,

Language barrier. I was trying to say that, if BLACKSTAR and GHOSTBUSTERS are selling poorly - then BCI company could stop to release ADDITIONAL deals of DVDs of the series AFTER the deal (or "license") is legally gone.

Hope it's clear.

Heroic Warrior
    I think, if anything, it's less clear what you mean now, but I'll concede that the language barrier is a greater impediment than any ill will on your part.

I'm surprised that Mario sold so well. I mean, I bought the series simply based on sentimental value. I liked it when i was in school and i'm a nintendo fan. I also liked the expansion of the mushroom world. It was neat to see them go to areas that you never got to see in a game, or situations. Anyway, I was tempted to pick up Captain N because i also grew up with it. I appreciate the fact the Shout tries, but their...standards, are no where near as high as BCI. (by that, i mean quality of vid, extras, etc.)

BCI Guy,

Language barrier. I was trying to say that, if BLACKSTAR and GHOSTBUSTERS are selling poorly - then BCI company could stop to release ADDITIONAL deals of DVDs of the series AFTER the deal (or "license") is legally gone.

Hope it's clear.
    Heh. I'm actually less clear on what you mean now.

That we wouldn't sell anymore Blackstar and Ghostbusters after our deal ends?