Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Centurions coming to DVD via Warner Archive MOD

Okay,

I mean:

Will the BCI Company PHYSICALLY produce new Blackstar and Filmation's Ghostbusters DVD pieces in the years to come, even if they don't sell that much? Will the BCI Company do a new deal to PHYSICALLY produce new Blackstar and Filmation's Ghostbusters DVD pieces once the license is gone? (I don't know how many years a DVD release licensing can last...)

???
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    Okay,

I mean:

Will the BCI Company PHYSICALLY produce new Blackstar and Filmation's Ghostbusters DVD pieces in the years to come, even if they don't sell that much?
    We won't have to. We have plenty of overstock. If we somehow run out and we get orders, we'll make more to fill the orders. If you are talking about us producing different content, there isn't any, so there would be no point. We did everything we could with both series.

Will the BCI Company do a new deal to PHYSICALLY produce new Blackstar and Filmation's Ghostbusters DVD pieces once the license is gone?
    ???
    No. There would be no point in relicensing a product that didn't do well. Although for that matter, we wouldn't relicense He-man either. The cost would be much more than what we'd be able to sell, as most people that want it already have it.

Has BCI ever thought of releasing something like a Best of Filmation DVD with random episodes of different shows?

Kind of like a Sampler? That's not a bad idea. But then again, i guess that's what trailers are for.

BCI Guy, thanks.

Hope Blackstar and FGB will perform better in the years to come.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

I like the idea of a sampler disk very much. It would be so much better than the "Ink and Paint Trailers" they include on their boxed sets (which sorry to say, are very weak advertisements... especially the ones for Mission Magic, Happily Ever After, and A Snow White Christmas).

I'm sure Centurions will may a release at some stage as a budget title or something.
    Folks have to remember that getting these shows even approved by cencer boards is very expensive and while distributors may have the licence to a show, they may not release them.
    I'd love second season of Conan to be released but I just can't see the first one selling well enough to warrant the authoring and BBFC stuff.
    Maximum Ent. Here in the UK could release all the Mario's, Gadgets and Conan's but probably won't. You should see some of the obscure titles that Maximum have but may never see the light of day. Spiral Zone anyone?

Are folks really surprised that Blackstar and Ghostbusters have not sold well?!

(Incidentially, I've just polished off the artwork for the UK Mario and Dennis releases if anybody wants to see em?)
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy View Post
    Folks have to remember that getting these shows even approved by cencer boards is very expensive...
    We don't have to do that in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    We don't have to do that in the US.
    Oh yeah! I noticed that there no certs on the BCI sleeves but I never gave it any serious thought. Is that because in the US, once they have been through censors for broadcast, that's it?
    www.eamonart.com

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Lucky things. Getting ratings for shows and movies is only voluntary. I swear censorship boards are a waste of time and taxpayers money depending where you live in the world. Don't get me started on how unfair the Australian board can be I swear they are more lenient on Australian products than non Aussie things with similar content.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Oh yeah! I noticed that there no certs on the BCI sleeves but I never gave it any serious thought. Is that because in the US, once they have been through censors for broadcast, that's it?
    Movies pretty much require it - although you can get by with "Not Rated". TV is voluntary, and that's why you'll often see stuff like TV7 or TV MA. It's pretty much set by the creators of the shows.

Plus we don't like the ugly logos on the front...

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    Lucky things. Getting ratings for shows and movies is only voluntary. I swear censorship boards are a waste of time and taxpayers money depending where you live in the world. Don't get me started on how unfair the Australian board can be I swear they are more lenient on Australian products than non Aussie things with similar content.
    The australian certs are crazy big man!!
    I see no need for them to be that big.

Plus we don't like the ugly logos on the front...
    Ain't that the truth!
    They are very annoying.
    I usually have to put the Irish one there too!
    www.eamonart.com

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    The australian certs are crazy big man!!
    I see no need for them to be that big.

Ain't that the truth!
    They are very annoying.
    I usually have to put the Irish one there too!
    They have to that big for parents who don't know how to say "No!" to their kids that they can't watch certain stuff. But I don't think it's working.My parents did that with my sister and I and we didn't sook about it.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Here in the UK could release all the Mario's, Gadgets and Conan's but probably won't. You should see some of the obscure titles that Maximum have but may never see the light of day. Spiral Zone anyone?
    Wow, Spiral Zone - that's a pretty obscure title to have in the archive, isn't it? Sadly it stands next to no chance of ever being released in the UK, as it never made it to terrestrial broadcast "back in the day" to my knowledge. Not sure if it was even shown on Sky either (although early Sky did show an obscene amount of series from different studios, so it might very well have popped up somewhere at some point).

As for Centurions itself, I'd dearly love to have a decent set for the show, especially as our version of Boomerang has sat on the series for the better part of a decade. From what I gather Centurions, even though it was a minor player as far as 80s shows were concerned, was probably more popular in the UK than it ever was in the US. Makes it quite ironic that it was the US Cartoon Network that re-ran the show into the ground, while it was only shown on our version when it launched and subsequently exiled more-or-less permanently the following year! There are quite a few archive gems that have been totally sidelined by Turner UK, even though they've previously been broadcast, so we know they have them.

In any case, I'd personally be more interested to find out what other Marvel series Maximum has the DVD rights to. Although the dreaded Disney is finally out of the equation for home video rights in the US, no one else has come forward to claim the vast back catalogue of the Marvel series, so the end result is pretty much the same at the moment. It's yet more irony, as for name value alone, the Marvel series would doubtlessly shift impressive numbers, certainly sustainable enough in a manner similar to Warner's continuing Super Friends releases.
    1983 Forever!

I'd say the Conan sets will do bigger number if there is a live action movie released (and it does well) hell that's my ONLY hope of getting the damn cartoon for R1. I know I know there are region free players and you can mod yours, but i'd RATHER have a R1 ready set. I'm still hoping for Bugsy Maolone to be released in R1 - I love that movie!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Spiral Zone anyone?
    I LOVE Spiral Zone. I wish someone would put it out somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by JTalpur View Post
    Wow, Spiral Zone - that's a pretty obscure title to have in the archive, isn't it? Sadly it stands next to no chance of ever being released in the UK, as it never made it to terrestrial broadcast "back in the day" to my knowledge. Not sure if it was even shown on Sky either (although early Sky did show an obscene amount of series from different studios, so it might very well have popped up somewhere at some point).

As for Centurions itself, I'd dearly love to have a decent set for the show, especially as our version of Boomerang has sat on the series for the better part of a decade. From what I gather Centurions, even though it was a minor player as far as 80s shows were concerned, was probably more popular in the UK than it ever was in the US. Makes it quite ironic that it was the US Cartoon Network that re-ran the show into the ground, while it was only shown on our version when it launched and subsequently exiled more-or-less permanently the following year! There are quite a few archive gems that have been totally sidelined by Turner UK, even though they've previously been broadcast, so we know they have them.

In any case, I'd personally be more interested to find out what other Marvel series Maximum has the DVD rights to. Although the dreaded Disney is finally out of the equation for home video rights in the US, no one else has come forward to claim the vast back catalogue of the Marvel series, so the end result is pretty much the same at the moment. It's yet more irony, as for name value alone, the Marvel series would doubtlessly shift impressive numbers, certainly sustainable enough in a manner similar to Warner's continuing Super Friends releases.
    Well aside from Spiderman, all the 60's Marvel tites have been released. Avengers and Iron Man are the only 90's ones Maximum currently have and they have been released too.

I totally agree with you about certain shows like Centurions being more popular here. I reckon Thundercats sold more over here than MOTU did.
    Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors is another one that was probably more popular over here too.
    I'm confident everything you've been wondering about will get a release. Some will most likely be budget releases..

It's on the list along with a bunch of others but there's been no mention of Maximum releasing it yet. Ring Raiders is another one on there from the same era.
    www.eamonart.com

I've never heard of Spiral Zone or Ring Raiders.

Centurions I remember seeing on Boomerang (here in the US its part of the lineup once more). It was cool, but I disagree with Vanquest about it being "the best cartoon of all time."

You know what BCI *really* should release on DVD?

FOX'S PETER PAN AND THE PIRATES!

... I'll buy the Conan the Adventurer seasons if it has any chance at all of inspiring Maximum to do seasons of Peter Pan.

Well aside from Spiderman, all the 60's Marvel tites have been released.
    Not exactly... The "Marvel Superheroes" boxed set is for some reason missing the Hulk, according to every listing and source I've read, and I've found no indication whatsoever that its available seperately.

That being said, I'll buy it if it'll encourage Maximum to put out seasons of Peter Pan and the Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Star View Post
    That being said, I'll buy it if it'll encourage Maximum to put out seasons of Peter Pan and the Pirates.
    Peter Pan and the Pirates is on my to do list.
    I don't know if it's gonna be a season set yet, but there is a release on the way.
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior Hobby One Kenobi's Avatar
    I think I read somewhere a few months back that the owner of a fan site & 1 of the big wigs from the show got together & put the show out on DVD. I've seen them on E Bay from time to time, if I can find the article or site I'll post it.

EDIT: I found the site;

http://spiral-zone.com/tonka/dvd.htm

I've never heard of Spiral Zone or Ring Raiders.
    You missed a great toon in Spiral Zone (I'd put it in a class with Exosquad & Galaxy Rangers) & I've never heard of Ring Raiders? I wonder if they are referring to Air Raiders? It was a 5 episode series similar to Robotix, & it debuted in the early 90's that was a so/so cartoon nothing really great.

Not exactly... The "Marvel Superheroes" boxed set is for some reason missing the Hulk, according to every listing and source I've read, and I've found no indication whatsoever that its available seperately.
    And to the best of my knowledge you are correct as I believe both Hulk & Fantastic Four have not been released yet. And I own all of the 60's Marvel toons released in the UK & US;

Captain America
    Iron Man
    Spiderman
    Sub Mariner
    Thor

And I have not seen a listing for either show on any UK site.
    Last edited by Hobby One Kenobi; January 31, 2008 at 08:28pm.
    www.ioffer.com

Home of many hard to find classic 80's toons, even though they might be bootlegs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby One Kenobi View Post
    I think I read somewhere a few months back that the owner of a fan site & 1 of the big wigs from the show got together & put the show out on DVD. I've seen them on E Bay from time to time, if I can find the article or site I'll post it.

EDIT: I found the site;

http://spiral-zone.com/tonka/dvd.htm
    Thanks!

Just ordered a set.

Thanks!

Just ordered a set.
    I know the guy who makes the set, he is a real good guy and worked really hard on what he has done in light of the fact no "official" set has been released. I gave him some tips on things he could have done better and hardware he should use , he likes to talk about the show so if there are any fans you might want to email him if you have interest in the show, its nice to see devoted fans like that.

Its probably the most legit fan made set ever made as he actually went to the license holders to ask about getting it made, its an interesting story for him to tell if any of you ever wanted to ask him about it, he has access to scripts of the show as well as a lot of the production materials.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

So its a bootleg set that's almost as good as an official set.

Awesome.

Maybe I should set up a Peter-Pan-and-the-Pirates-dot-com and see if a higher up on that show approaches me...

So its a bootleg set that's almost as good as an official set.
    Yes and no, he did get official consent from the company that owns the license (Tonka in this case) and received proper arrangements with them, they felt it was not cost effective to release the show and could not get any buyers at the time (this was like 2 years ago I believe) and what he used to make the DVD set is the master broadcast tapes that were given to him by the people who worked on the show, not 3rd generation home copies from fans.

He has has many discussion with the writers and voice actors and has done a bit more than you seem to be giving him credit for.

Its just not mass produced as a studio or major market release would be, but that does not mean its a bootleg. Bootleg would mean its copies off TV or copied from an already existing DVD source or thus "homeade".

But he does use expensive hardware (as do I) and there is a lot more going on then tape A onto DVD and be done with it, its a completely different way of doing things and if he followed some of the tips I gave him the production value would be almost as close to retail as possible.

There is bootleg and then there is things like this, its a big difference especially when you are dealing with $10-20,000 of specialized equipment. Anyone who has seen any of the private work I do can tell you there is a big difference between the stuff you buy at Best Buy and this kind of equipment, he is doing similar methods and using skills that many people do not know how to do with video software and hardware (proc amps, color correctors, time base correctors, detailers, different dv codecs, authoring systems that are designed by Apple and other high priced software packages).

In fact up until last year I was working on something similar for the DIC Series Dinosaucers, until there was a change in direction that led to them deciding they wanted to go a different route. I was also in on a attempt to do the same thing with Captain N before Shout was able to acquire the license and move on the property, this was a good 2 1/2 years before though so things change all the time.

But please dont call it bootlegs because its not, its just not standard retail as you think of it. If I remember correctly he also resides in Canada, I am not up on the legal speak there but I do know they have similar arrangements as the US which is why he approached Tonka to begin with (and as we all know Tonka was bought by Hasbro in 1991 so they are fully aware of it as well).
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Got my Spiral Zone set today. I'll check it out tonight and report back.

Can't wait!