Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Centurions coming to DVD via Warner Archive MOD

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Tiziano: a hit in Italy?
    It was aired only once I think and we never got the toys, I hardly believe it was a hit over here

EDIT: and yes, Silverhawks was aired in Italy.
    It aired on Rai Due, on Sunday morning, after completing airing Thundercats. I used to watch it, I totally remember it.
    Yeah, we didn't get the toys, but the cartoon had resonance on private channels, I think. Here in Naples, it was aired repeatly through a decade.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Heroic Warrior
    Delusion, thy name is Vanquest! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    Yeah, we didn't get the toys, but the cartoon had resonance on private channels, I think. Here in Naples, it was aired repeatly through a decade.

So it was reaired on local channels.
    Probably true in many part of Italy, that unfortunately still doesn't make it an hit in our country.
    No merchandising, no toys, only one nationwide syndacation airing, that's definitely not an hit
    It never got the status of MASK for example.

I'd love an official release of Centurions. Like most of this type of thing though, if it hasn't happened by now, it's not going to.

When was the last release of a (semi) obscure cartoon? Could be mistaken, but I can't remember one happening recently. I think their time is definitely over.

I found someone on eBay how had Sliverhawks, MASK and Centurions on DVD. now of course they are not the best quality

Blackstar
    Bravestar
    Silverhawks

Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    When was the last release of a (semi) obscure cartoon? Could be mistaken, but I can't remember one happening recently. I think their time is definitely over.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Blackstar
    Bravestar
    Silverhawks
    1.5 years ago.
    1.5 years ago (for V2).
    over 1 year ago (no talk of a 2nd set).

He's right. The obscure 80s cartoon on DVD fad is pretty much dead.

Everyone saw how well He-Man and Thundercats did, so they all jumped on every available cartoon from the era. And almost all of them flopped.

The big guns will always do well. Transformers, GI Joe, Real Ghostbusters, etc.

But Centurions, Visionaries, Bionic Six and the like are all falling victim to the fates of Galaxy Rangers, Silverhawks, most of the Filmation library, etc.

I've seen Silverhawks Vol. 1 at a lot of Wal-Marts recently in a display with Voltron, Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Thundercats.

My Pet Monster got released last month in the US, although I've seen zero promotion for it (even tvshowsondvd didn't post on it). It had a Canadian only release a year ago.

The Fraggle Rock cartoon is being released in January:
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fra...e-Series/12862
    Last edited by Firefly; November 17, 2009 at 08:58pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

My Pet Monster got released last month in the US, although I've seen zero promotion for it (even tvshowsondvd didn't post on it). It had a Canadian only release a year ago.
    Yup. And its sold 50 sets in 6 weeks. Advertising it would've been throwing good money after bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Yup. And its sold 50 sets in 6 weeks. Advertising it would've been throwing good money after bad.
    Ouch. I bought the Canadian release, so I skipped the US one. I've noticed some website stores that carry it don't even have a picture for it.

How have these new Transformers and G.I. Joe sets been doing?

How have these new Transformers and G.I. Joe sets been doing?
    They're doing great. Those 2 are the biggest of the "big guns".

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    But Centurions, Visionaries, Bionic Six and the like are all falling victim to the fates of Galaxy Rangers, Silverhawks, most of the Filmation library, etc.
    'Visionaries' was released on DVD in UK, and I know it had decent sales or so.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    All the talk about the Centurions T.V. series got me interested in looking up info about the show so I scoped out the wiki article. I was surprised to find that the show wasn't built completely around the syndication style story construction. Beyond the miniseries that kicked off the show there were 5 multi-part stories; even the last 5 episodes of the series were part of a single story.

It was surprising to see so many multi-part stories at a time when American networks were big on cartoon series that they could run in whatever order they pleased.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; November 18, 2009 at 04:05pm.

I don't think Centurions was shown on my local television stations, but I wouldn't mind catching an episode or two to see if I like it.

A few other obscure 80s cartoons with recent releases that I can think of are The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Ruby-Spears' Superman, and Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse (Jan. 5).

I just LOVED when two more Centurions joined the original trio: Rex Charger and John Thunder. They kicked ass.

I loved Centurions, still have my old figuers! It was popular enough over here.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

If you get Boomerang there are still on that channel

I don't think Centurions was shown on my local television stations, but I wouldn't mind catching an episode or two to see if I like it.

A few other obscure 80s cartoons with recent releases that I can think of are The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Ruby-Spears' Superman, and Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse (Jan. 5).

Mysterious Cities of Gold is absolutely obscure. Superman and Mighty Mouse are such well known characters, that even if the particle show was obscure, I wouldn't put them in the same category.

Although sadly, RS Superman is not selling well.

Well, at least BCI gave us FGB DVDs and inspired me to create our successful forum about them.

We're gonna interview Larry Storch this weekend.

Warner Archive said that they will be releasing it some time later this year on their MOD DVD program. My guess is that they will split it up in three volumes. I've caught a few episodes in recent months on Boomerang.

Awesome news about an official release! Happy to see that I was wrong - the MOD DVD program is proving very useful for those of use after obscure shows.

My two boys have become obsessed with Centurions recently. My 2 1/2 year old takes his Ace McCloud everywhere with him. Today it has been demanded that I make them 'exo-frames'. Currently in the middle of deciding whether attachable weapons systems are essential requirements.
    Last edited by byinfernoslight; March 13, 2011 at 03:30pm.

I think at this point there are only a handful of obscure shows that have not had a release in some form or another/where never completed.

Sectaurs.
    Extreme Ghostbusters
    Spiral Zone - Never seen it, was it any good?
    Silverhawks
    Dreamstone

With Gobots and Centurions coming from Time Warner (i recently picked up their Pirates of Dark Water), and with Shoutfactory "hoping" to re-release Jem (I ain't paying $100+ for the OOP release), there is very little that is worth owning that isn't out already.
    I mean crap if you want to spend the money you can get Dino Riders and Bucky O Hare on dvd. Both out of print.

I even got all 3 volumes of the out of print Advetures of Teddy Ruxpin the other day for about $20!
    Even CAPTAIN BLUUDY PLANET is getting a release! Well...season 1 at least.
    Geez even M.A.S.K of all things has had a release(and repackage) and yet Shoutfactory are doing ANOTHER version for the US market...screw that! They can buy the UK releases like they do with Visionaries and they can give us some god damned Extreme Ghostbusters!
    And for any readers in the UK I am about to blow your mind.
    You know what is actively being released right now?..... T-Bag. Bludy T-Bag. W...T...F 4 seasons of it so far.
    You can buy ***** T-BAG of all things yet I can't have an affordable copy of Jem or a complete set of Silverhawks? Where are my Droids and Ewoks cartoons damn it. WHERE ARE THEY U SUNSAIUNFSOIJ(*(.
    Ok I know there are those single discs sets of each and i'll probably pick them up..but you know..I kinda want it all.
    Last edited by Jii Dee; March 15, 2011 at 02:59pm.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

Whoa baby, am I glad BCI released Defenders of the Earth before the bubble burst! For me that show was up there with Thundercats, He-Man, Silverhawks, and GI Joe. So was Centurions, so I hope it somehow gets released eventually--maybe a burn-on-demand option or something. I'll take a bare bones release if I can get it. Yeah I won't hold my breath. We can't even get all the WB Looney Tunes cartoons on DVD!

I only saw a few episodes of Bionic Six. It seemed cool enough. Actually I think it would make a pretty good modern show in the vein of Ben 10 and Generator Rex, but I guess lots of properties envy that kind of treatment.

EDIT:
    Warner Archive said that they will be releasing it some time later this year on their MOD DVD program. My guess is that they will split it up in three volumes. I've caught a few episodes in recent months on Boomerang.

Well gosh golly, ask ye shall receive!
    Last edited by gbagok; March 16, 2011 at 03:36pm.

I'm a Val-Pal.
    Spiral Zone was actually released on DVD, though unofficially not endorsed by Tonka:

http://spiral-zone.com/tonka/

We have a set and it is about as close to retail as we will ever get I believe. But a great site with much of the info about the series.
    She-Ra rocks. For the honor of Grayskull.

Follow me and Dollie on Twitter:

@babsbatgirlfan
    @dolliebaby77
    My Husky Dollie's: @dolliebaby1977
    My comic news feed: @comicbookpost

Quote Originally Posted by Jii Dee View Post
    I even got all 3 volumes of the out of print Advetures of Teddy Ruxpin the other day for about $20!
    Jealous. I'm missing the last two. Can't find them anywhere for a reasonable price.

edit:
    Okay, so now I've immediately found them on Amazon and feel pretty stupid. Guess I'd better get ordering.
    Last edited by byinfernoslight; March 15, 2011 at 06:09pm.