Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If YOU had the power to choose the 6 figures for the 30th Anniversary Line...

I love the three shown so far and adore most of my submissions (others, I just like), but if we were to go another way, pulling only from what's available without the contest or new entries from Mattel, Geoff, etc...

1) Fearless Photog (I think that one was too perfect anyhow, and due!)
    2) Songster (From the heyday of vintage: a freakin' concert tour?! Awesome! That just doesn't quite happen anymore outside of early childhood entertainment.)
    3) Strobo (Obscure enough, but celebrating the magazine.)
    4) Oo-Lar/The original He-Man (as seen in the first minicomic, with lots of customizing ability to recreate the tribal look, his He-Man look, and Jungle Attack He-Man )
    5) Gorpo (the .Org's version!)
    6) Skeletor's Son (whoever he is, representing the new chapters unfolding for the next 30 years!)
    3)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Next year being the 30th anniversary of the original MOTU line, I would have chosen a different path for the bi-monthly celebratory figures. Prototypes/concepts that were never released or used in the original line would have been the theme for all six releases.
    We'd start off the same as what we're actually getting in 2012, with The Fearless Photog, then we'd get Eldor, the Horde Mummy concept, the Green Witch concept, the Evil Robot prototype figure, and- rewriting history a little bit- the final release would have been the three-pack of The Star Sisters- sending the 30th Anniversary figure line off at the end of 2012 with a pretty big bang. And every single one of these releases would come with a mini-comic specific to that character, just like the old line. (In the Star Sisters' place I probably would do a Horde Trooper 2-pack for that quarter's release instead.)
    I dunno. I'm excited to be getting some all-new stuff for the 30th line, but personally I would have preferred them doing something a bit different that actually has more ties to the original line instead of the randomness of Mighty Spector, or whatever else they are gonna spring on us later in the year. I think a Create-A-Character contest is something I would have done seperately, in addition to, but not a part of, a 30th sub-line.

Just talking theoretically...

I'd want a new character for some of the major factions.

1. MOTU good guy. (female)
    2. Skeletor's Evil Warrior. (female)
    3. POP Rebel. (male)
    4. Evil Horde Member. (male)
    5. Archival Concept Character (either)
    6. Contest Winner. (either)
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    If I had the power, I would get Bruce Timm, Larry Ditillio, Mark Taylor, Roger Sweet, the four horsemen and Earl Norem to design the figures.
    That is an AWESOME Idea---maybe they can do that for 2013 for no other reason than just being COOL! (I hope Scott reads this)

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I love the three shown so far and adore most of my submissions (others, I just like), but if we were to go another way, pulling only from what's available without the contest or new entries from Mattel, Geoff, etc...

1) Fearless Photog (I think that one was too perfect anyhow, and due!)
    2) Songster (From the heyday of vintage: a freakin' concert tour?! Awesome! That just doesn't quite happen anymore outside of early childhood entertainment.)
    3) Strobo (Obscure enough, but celebrating the magazine.)
    4) Oo-Lar/The original He-Man (as seen in the first minicomic, with lots of customizing ability to recreate the tribal look, his He-Man look, and Jungle Attack He-Man )
    5) Gorpo (the .Org's version!)
    6) Skeletor's Son (whoever he is, representing the new chapters unfolding for the next 30 years!)
    3)
    30 YEARS!?! I'll be spending my social security checks on the 2042 sub----and dipping into my heart medication fund to afford the SDCC exclusives--
    Last edited by melmoth666; November 22, 2011 at 07:26pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Filmation He-Man
    Fearless Photog
    Contest Winner Figure
    Spikor
    Movie Character(If we had the rights)Preferably Movie accurate Skeletor
    Eldor

Heroic Warrior
    I like draego. Photog is ideal for collectors but not my cup of tea. Spector is not essential for collectors. I'd like it if all six figures were from the create a character contest. Fans could submit only one design via Facebook, and the ones Mattel finds most do-able could be voted on by fans. Or they could've broke with tradition and made figures with action features. Its too late for ba heman and skeleton but would've been cool to still have their action features. Picture it ba he-man, skeleton, faker with action features. They could Use the same bucks for battle damage guards. I'm getting too ahead of myself but a guy can dream.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I like hlinhk128's idea of representing the 6 eras.

Photog (MOTU) -- not a fan of the design, but I feel it's nice to finally make it.

Red Knight (POP) -- I think that's his name.

N/A (NA) -- I'm stumped. Don't know NA well enough to say.

Eldor (POG)

Prahvus (200x)

Draego Man (MOTUC)

I would have chosen figures/characters from MOTU's past; to me that just makes more sense if you're celebrating it's ANNIVERSARY*, you know? But maybe that's already being done by the Classics line as a whole, but I dunno, it seems odd to say "We're ready to celebrate the wonderful and storied history of this brand---with a bunch of characters that have NOTHING to do with said storied history!" Photog KIND OF counts, but he was never part of the mythos, so I don't really think he does.

*I put 'anniversary' in all caps for emphasis, not to be condescending or snarky.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; November 23, 2011 at 12:25am.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Filmation Prince Adam..with sword holder
    Filmation Cringer, better than the Marlena version..more articulated.
    Filmation Mer-Man....Filmation head, hands feet & colors
    I don't like 200X, but I like the Evil Lynn, all new with her own tunic, cape & weapons
    Filmation Teela, with more accurate face, hair & tunic..and accurate on screen weapons
    Filmation Skeletor, with screen accurate boots & face

They may be mostly variants, but for a 30th Anniversary, who cares, it's not like they would have been included in the main sub, and you could buy them if you want or not...
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashtoys View Post
    I would've skipped making 6 additional figures and would've gone ahead and built the Castle Grayskull instead.

Celebrating 30 years should be big! and nothing says "Happy 30th anniversary MOTUC" better than Castle *friggin* Grayskull!
    TOTALLY agree. CG has been on everyone's wishlist for some time now.

I do like Draego-Man though. The 4H did an awesome job with them.

I think the anniversary figs should've been created by actual creators. Creators of the past and present. Not brand managers or employees. While I do appreciate every employee at Mattel, I don't need their frickin' ideas spilling into the greatest MOTU toy line in history. (No offense Bob and Jim in quality control, and Jose in paint)
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

A lot of fine ideas here but at this point, just about anything would have been better than what we are getting. I can't believe how badly handled the 30th line up has been.

It's like this much process went into planning it:

'Hey everyone!I have an idea, let's make a 30th anniversary line that almost has nothing to do with the history of the franchise and it's full of newly made up stuff that nobody asked for!'

Great idea Scott! You are my hero!

*The scenario above only involves one person and a mirror*

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    Well if you're gonna do the 30th Anniversary right, Two words:

CASTLE. GRAYSKULL.

Even if it's broken down into 6 pieces to with each piece coming with a mini MOTU character (Skeletor's Robot Drone, Imp, Kowl, Dree-Elle, Odiphus, "cursed" Marzo for examples). I would love it. But heck, who doesn't want the whole thing in one shot, right?

Otherwise I would've done the Create-A-Character contest, but do it differently. I would do 6 winners in each of the following categories:

1. Best new Heroic Warrior
    2. Best new POP (Great Rebellion) character
    3. Best new Evil Warrior
    4. Best new Horde Member
    5. Best new Snake Man
    6. Overall winner (doesn't have to have a faction)

I think the way the contest is done now, the best chance of winning is making a new Evil Warrior or Horde member. Everyone love the man/beast hybrid. The contest as is, is a bit too predictable. Comparing a Snake Man to a POP character is really apples and oranges and there should be a contest on each faction to be fair.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    -photog
    -fighting foe men
    -son of keldor
    -heroic master
    -prethernia good guy & bad guy

1) Fearless Photog - Heīs long overdue.

2) Draego Man - The 4 Horsemen deserve to create a figure for the brand theyīve been working on for 10 years now.

3) Spector - I have to admit I would have enjoyed the figure a little more if he was tweaked into the MOTU visuals more, but itīs Scotts right as a brand manager who brought and brings us awesome toys every month to create a figure on his own. And if anything, heīs excellent custom fodder. Heīs basically the blank custom body fans have been asking about since the beginning of the line :-) And his weapons are cool.

4) Now with GJīs figure - while not having seen it yet - I cannot see why he was chosen to create a figure. Thereīs obviously a relationship between Mattel and DC, but this relationship rules out MOTU, thus the Minicomics being produced by Dark Horse, and not by DC. Iīve heard Leonardo DiCaprio is a long time MOTU fan. Seriously, I would have given him the chance to create a character for the anniversary line. That would have had a MUCH higher impact in media, thus creating much more buzz about MOTUC, than some guy working in the comicbook industry nobody has ever heard of outside the comicbook industry.

5) Either Bill Benecke or Terry Higuchi can have their chance of creating a figure, or team up, or whatever. They are essential to MOTUC just like Scott and the 4HM are.

6) The contest-winner. Perfect opportunity to get the fandom involved directly.

Slot Number 5 could have been given to Emiliano, though, who isnīt only a professional toy designer, but somehow represents the whole international MOTU fandom. It would have been a very nice nod, but I can see why Mattel would never do this, since Emiliano is working for Hasbro and Mattel wants to have the slot given to their own employees.
    Plus, with Illumina hopefully winning the Fans choice slot, he somehow gets his chance
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    5) Either Bill Benecke or Terry Higuchi can have their chance of creating a figure, or team up, or whatever. They are essential to MOTUC just like Scott and the 4HM are.
    Terry is designing a figure

Slot Number 5 could have been given to Emiliano, though, who isnīt only a professional toy designer, but somehow represents the whole international MOTU fandom. It would have been a very nice nod, but I can see why Mattel would never do this, since Emiliano is working for Hasbro and Mattel wants to have the slot given to their own employees.
    Thanks a lot!
    But me being a freelance that works for Hasbro very often has nothing to do with that , trust me

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Terry is designing a figure
    I know Just wanted to say that I would have been fine if Bill was involved, too.

Thanks a lot!
    But me being a freelance that works for Hasbro very often has nothing to do with that , trust me
    That was only half of my point. Mattel wants to support their own employees, which I totally understand. So both Freelancers and employees of other companies, especially competitors, are off-limits.
    Positivity, folks!

I would have definitely approached the previous gang that worked on the vintage toyline, for sure. Then I would have asked the dynamic duo of Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, both of which had worked on the Filmation cartoon serries, to create a character together.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    That was only half of my point. Mattel wants to support their own employees, which I totally understand. So both Freelancers and employees of other companies, especially competitors, are off-limits.
    Still, I'm just pointing out for the records that the fact that a freelance works ALSO for a competitor, doesn't make him/her off limits in general (not for the 30th anniversary line)
    Freelances are allowed to work for everybody as long as they don't have an exclusive contract.

It could be debatable how supporting Mattel's employee would do any good to an anniversary event for a online line sold only to adult collectors very limited in their numbers and with zero media exposure.
    But, to be clear, that has nothing to do with me, I'm talking about my old idea of reaching out to old MOTU creators. And I don't see why it couldn't have been booth (old AND new).

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Still, I'm just pointing out for the records that the fact that a freelance works ALSO for a competitor, doesn't make him/her off limits in general (not for the 30th anniversary line)
    Freelances are allowed to work for everybody as long as they don't have an exclusive contract.

It could be debatable how supporting Mattel's employee would do any good to an anniversary event for a online line sold only to adult collectors very limited in their numbers and with zero media exposure.
    But, to be clear, that has nothing to do with me, I'm talking about my old idea of reaching out to old MOTU creators. And I don't see why it couldn't have been booth (old AND new).
    Absolutley agree. And if there would have been more than 6 slots, I would have loved to see some more talents involved.
    Positivity, folks!

If I really had carte blanche I'd keep Photog & Draego Man. Than I'd put in 3 of my favorite fan-figures: Fungor, Caught 'N Mouth & Spy Fly. Not really sure who created them but they would get a money deal and a lifelong sub of MOTUC. And I would keep the 2012 fan contest. For POP's 30th anniversary the same approach would be needed.

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    For the 30th anniversary I would have done something that celebrates the roots of the line, like making exact copies of the four-figure series as shown on the original cardback:

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/cardback/mini51.jpg

The fifth figure would have been Fearless Photog and the sixth would have been the piece de resistance that everyone has been asking for since the line began, Castle Grayskull. Barring that, a Battle Ram like the one shown at the con would have been appropriate.
    Celebrating the roots of the line would be a great idea. If I really had the power to make decisions, the 30th Anniversary Line would at least have the following:
    - Oo-Larr (which would be like the 'He-Man' you see on the first page of the first mini-comic),
    - Alcala Skeletor (which we'll have with Demo-Man now... well, at least the head),
    - I'd like an early 'Red Beast' Beast Man-variant,
    - the two orcs from 'Masks of Power' (two small orcs with clip on masks, like Crusader once suggested AND the orcs after their transformation),
    - Tee-La's unicorn (with javalin for Tee-La) and
    - Sky Tree (mini-comic style).
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.