Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it now time to consider the Build-A-Figure model for MOTU going forward?

Is it now time to consider the Build-A-Figure model for MOTU going forward?

Now that Super7 have taken over and MOTU have gone from being a monthly subscription model with small day of sales for cherry pickers, to an 'All-In' quarterly wave system, do you think it would be a good idea to introduce Build-A-Figures to MOTU?
    Many lines such as Marvel Legends have had this model for years as an incentive to buy an entire wave, and it works well.
    I certainly feel more inclined to buy figures I wouldn't otherwise buy to complete a BaF.

This could work well in MOTU now to soften the blow of having to buy a full wave of figures.
    I'm sure people would complain less about having to buy a figure they weren't so keen on if it came with a part to build another figure.

It doesn't have to a full size figure, a Twigget or Oediphus for instance would be too costly as a fully artciculated pack in with a single figure, but if they were split across four figures it might be viable?

It doesn't even have to be a figure. The ML Spider-Man Homecoming wave has the Vulture's mechanical wings as the BaF, so we could get the parts to build Zodac's chair, the Stilt Stalkers, Skeletor's throne etc. Some of these could work well split across four figures.
    Or perhaps build a creature such as Catra's cat form, or a small diorama.

Or if the waves were increased to six figures we could see oversized figures such as Sagitar as the BaF perhaps.

I realise this may not be a financially viable model, but it's something to think about
    Last edited by Fright Zone; June 3, 2017 at 11:44am.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

Court Magician Man-At-Armageddon's Avatar
    Not a bad idea

Don't you think this might upset the MOC Collectors who can't build it due to the fact their collection is MOC they NEVER open their figures.
    Excited for 2017 with Brian Flynn of Super7 & Four Horsemen taking over the MOTUC's, Club Grayskull and Hopefully Thundercats collectors lines

As a MOC and loose collector, it would disappoint me to have a BAF character not really displayed in my MOC collection.

But what I'd really be worried about is the quality of the BAF pieces for my loose collection. Many of the Marvel Legends BAF pieces tend to be less solid than the normal figures. They have a tendency to suffer from quality control issues much more than the standard figures, they sometimes fall apart very easily and don't often connect the greatest either. That is why I've been happy to see the MOTUC line stay away from the BAF method.

I'd love to see little characters like Dree Elle, Montork, the Oracle, Kowla, Red Eye, Odiphus and the Twiggets as pack-ins but I'd be very worried if MOTUC started creating parts for the BAF route. Besides most characters left that would be good candidates for a BAF release would be just as obscure as the characters contained in the wave, so I don't think they'd be the greatest selling points either.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

But what if, as I suggested, instead of build a figure, it was a build a vehicle/item, such as Zodac's chair?
    Then there's less likely to be any QC issues, and surely MOC collectors wouldn't begrudge something like Zodac's chair not getting its own packaging?

www.lukespicer.com

I say no to keep the prices down. You put an extra item in there, then prices go up or you have to take a more character specific item out. Plus, I am a MOC collector, so I have no real use for a random arm of somebody in my package.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Don't you think this might upset the MOC Collectors who can't build it due to the fact their collection is MOC they NEVER open their figures.
    I for one do not give a whit about MOC Collectors but that is a discussion for a different thread.

BAF is a thing and it seems to sell well enough.

I'm ok with this idea if it were feasible.

I don't mind the idea. I've always been in support of including enticing items in figures that might have a harder time selling. Given the complaining we saw on having to buy a whole wave in order to get extras of individual figures, however, this might backfire.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Most wanted: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) Masks of Power Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha, 21) Stridor, 22) Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 23) ABC Giants

Yes- I think the best way to do it would be to do one build-a-figure across 2 waves of a sub-line; that way, it would incentivize buying two waves in a row, but people wouldn't have to order a sub-line that they're not interested in. Plus, this might be a good way, that Super 7 could financially justify, to make some figures that would require some new tooling and/or be somewhat oversized. So, for, example, Dylamugg could be a build-a-figure across 2 waves of Club Grayskull, and Sagtarr could be a build-a-figure across 2 waves of Collector's Choice.
    "I am The Mad Bubbler... breathe in the vapors of my madness!"

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    NO, please no. Just give us a bonus figure if we buy all 8.
    This solves the MOC issue, and incentivizes people to buy every figure. Also, its been done before. Say you buy all of classics and all of grayskulll, you would receive a final figure, or if you bought al of the other figures, you would have access to purchase just one of a bonus figure for classics or grayskull, as they gave access to buy extras once you bought the whole set.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Build-a-figures are Franken-figures and they look terrible.

Bad idea in my opinion. I'd sooner they did a 5th figure that's exclusive to buying the full wave instead.
    New want List:

Collector's Choice: Hunga the Harpy, Catra Cat Form, Twiggets, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.
    Filmation Club Grayskull: Webstor, Kobra Khan, Count Marzo, Ram Man, Leech, Grizzlor, Mantenna and Frosta.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Bad idea in my opinion. I'd sooner they did a 5th figure that's exclusive to buying the full wave instead.
    That's a pretty good idea.

Some of the best figures that Hasbro and Mattel release each year are Build-A-Figures, but I'm not sure how the concept would apply to the current MOTU Classics lineup? Since you have to buy the whole wave at once anyway with Super 7, why split up a figure across the wave at all?

The problem with Build-A-Figures is that they are incentives to buy a whole wave of figures. Since this line is already sold by wave, that makes the idea somewhat redundant. I DO like the idea of getting items like Zodac's chair or Skeletor's throne, perhaps they could be incentives to buy both waves at once. Alternately, they could offer a low-cost exclusive for buying both waves like Mattycollector used to. To save money, it could be a simple repaint, like Slime Pit He-Man or Disco Skeletor (basically, the figures that used to be the flash sale figures from Matty).

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    But what if, as I suggested, instead of build a figure, it was a build a vehicle/item, such as Zodac's chair?
    Then there's less likely to be any QC issues, and surely MOC collectors wouldn't begrudge something like Zodac's chair not getting its own packaging?
    I wouldn't mind the vehicle/item as much as an actual figure but I'd still worry about the quality of the vehicle/item. Also, like most potential BAF characters, there aren't really any great vehicles/items that would be great selling points for those who aren't already all-in.

The main reason I don't see this happening is as Firefly mentioned, any BAF vehicles, items or figures will surely add to the overall cost in a significant way. Especially for larger characters like Dylamug, Dragoon or Sagitar.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I for one do not give a whit about MOC Collectors
    Well, you should. They've definitely helped contribute to the success of the MOTUC line for the last 9 years and helped us all get these amazing toys.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    NO, please no. Just give us a bonus figure if we buy all 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    This solves the MOC issue, and incentivizes people to buy every figure. Also, its been done before. Say you buy all of classics and all of grayskulll, you would receive a final figure, or if you bought al of the other figures, you would have access to purchase just one of a bonus figure for classics or grayskull, as they gave access to buy extras once you bought the whole set.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Agreed. I think this would be a much better idea. Not only to incentivize buying the whole wave but also to get a quality "extra" figure.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Since we have to buy the whole wave, anyway, it doesn't really make business sense for Super 7 to do a bonus for buying one wave. As for MOC collectors- Marvel Legends has build-a-figures, and they have plenty of MOC collectors.
    "I am The Mad Bubbler... breathe in the vapors of my madness!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Bubbler View Post
    Since we have to buy the whole wave, anyway, it doesn't really make business sense for Super 7 to do a bonus for buying one wave.
    If Super7 wanted to use an incentive like an "exclusive" or "bonus" figure for a wave, it would likely be to convince cherry pickers or those on the fence to pull the trigger and go all-in. Though this deep into the character selection, I'm not sure how much that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Bubbler View Post
    As for MOC collectors- Marvel Legends has build-a-figures, and they have plenty of MOC collectors.
    Nobody is suggesting that MOC collectors won't collect lines that include BAF figures. Just suggesting that many might prefer not having them. I know as a MOC collector, that I'd much prefer to have Dragoon or Sagitar displayed visibly in my collection rather than not. And as a loose collector, I would rather have a Dragoon and Sagitar that are well executed, as opposed to a BAF version that may not be.

I loathe the idea of BAF. Being forced to buy undesirable figures in order to complete a desirable one just sucks. Subscription exclusives were fine. But I don't want a random arm or leg of someone when I pass on other figures in the wave.

But we are forced to buy entire waves anyways so what is the incentive? BAFs are to lure people into buying an entire wave when they are not "required to."

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    But we are forced to buy entire waves anyways so what is the incentive? BAFs are to lure people into buying an entire wave when they are not "required to."
    As dedset13 said, some people might be on the fence about buying the wave and this would be an extra incentive.

Say someone wanted Hawke and Lodar but had no interest in Quakke and Fang-Or, so they've decided not to buy the wave and take their chances getting the two they want on the secondary market.
    A collect-and-connect item or figure may convince them to buy the whole wave.

And BAFs certainly aren't always 'Franken-figures', Mantis from the latest ML Guardians wave looks to be of the same quality of the rest of the figures.

www.lukespicer.com

Heroic Warrior
    Build a figure concept is horrible and I hate it. I don't want to buy everything to get a larger sized character I may want rather than it being sold separately as a larger sized deluxe item. I hated it with ML, DCUC

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , spikor, buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, tung lashor, mekaneck, jitsu, ram man, frosta, bow and perfuma.

As S7 is requiring that we buy a whole wave at a time or nothing, why would they reward us for buying the whole wave?

I don't see their incentive.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

This idea, while popular with a lot of other lines, could potentially backfire on MOTU fans. We are at a point in the life of the line where there are fewer and fewer must-have characters, therefore, people might actually be inclined to drop the line rather than the other way around...

Also, look at the latest wave of Marvel Legends. We actually have to buy the entire wave (minus Star Lord v.2) in order to get Mantis! MANTIS! She is a core member of the GotG, she should never have been a B-A-F! Imagine if this were to happen in MOTUC...
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!