Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 061 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 061 Discussion!

Episode 061 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

We are joined by the Four Horsemen's Eric Treadaway as we continue our SDCC recap. In addition to a whole list of figures, we talk about
    the new ThunderCats cartoon
    Inconsistencies in female head paint aps
    Sharing parts in MOTUC
    Gothitropolis' Scarabus

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    (none)

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    Snout Spout
    Bubble Power She-Ra
    Demo-Man
    Star Sisters
    Icarus

Intro/Outro info:
    (none)

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Georg Schwitters also know as THE_RAW on the forums. George is a freelance fine art and commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.myspace.com/georgschwitters

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 37 minutes, 11 seconds

Direct link for Episode 061

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Yes this is the episode i'm looking forward to. Sadly I have to wait till my night class is over to give it a listen
    10-15-2011 1:30pm Eastern
    The MOTUC line and all its fans were taken for the ass

Let us never forget.

awesome - gonna round up the day with some RGD ... ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Good thing for me I'm on a high-protein diet with all of this Gooble coming my way!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Downloading this right now.

Alright, another one !!!

Thanks, Val ^^
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

carlsberg export lager and RGD = awesome ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks gents and muh-dam.

When some like Eric is on it's interesting to find out the behind the scenes look as to how and why they approached a figure the way they did.

If my figuring is correct the figure he was working on is due out July 2012.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Finally i get my badly needed Gooble dose
    First have to say if Demoman is Grinch the Star Sisters are Care Bears
    Would have loved a spell-casting hand for the Sorceress (was it a costcutting decision? Honestly im sure Eric wanted to include that hand).
    Also i hope her now overhauled wings are still allowing free arm movement
    Always great to hear Erics thoughts behind all , bring it on!

Most of the regulars on the .org know my thoughts on a few of the issues surrounding the Star Sisters, so I'm not going to bother rehashing some of the old points in this particular thread, but I do want to comment on the new information that was presented in this episode.

For starters, it sounds as if the Star Sisters were treated as one unit when it came time to allocate the time commitment and funds for this set, which is a bit disappointing to hear because they're still three individual figures that each deserve to get the attention of a stand-alone monthly release.

It seems I keep hearing about how expensive this set was to do. I guess I don't understand how this is the case when looking at Starla and Jewelstar in particular. Toyguru mentioned that all three sisters are practically 100% during the walkthrough with Pixel Dan at SDCC. They are not. Granted, by now, most of us realize that Mattel's definition of 100% is usually less than that level, however, when breaking it down piece-by-piece, Starla and Jewelstar are pretty average when it comes to the tooling that they received. They definitely fall around 50% reused and 50% new parts... the loose rule of thumb for your average character coming out for the first time.

Jewelstar

New

Head
    Outfit
    Gauntlets
    Boot tops
    Cape

Reused

Feet
    Hands
    Biceps
    Shoulders
    Thighs
    Standard female system under the outfit

Starla

New

Head
    Outfit
    Boot Tops
    Staff (Only 1 sister gets to claim this as new)
    Glory Bird Headdress

Reused

Feet
    Thighs
    Hands
    Forearms w/gauntlets
    Biceps
    Shoulders
    Standard Female System Under Outfit
    Glory Bird
    Stand

On sort of a side note, to me, it doesn't really make sense for Mattel to make a big deal about the expense involved in the so-called 100% tooled characters. Why? Because as soon as we get to someone like Tallstar (the one to get the most new tooling out of the sisters), folks are already looking at what can be reused on other figures. (In this case, Tallstar's boots) And they'll probably do the same thing with Ram-Man.

Anyhow, I'm please to hear that Eric would like to see a variant set released, even though it sounds highly unlikely. I dunno. Since Mattel always wants parts to be reused a bazillion times, it seems like a variant set would make sense. (2 uses for all the parts)

EDIT:

P.S. I would LOVE to see the all-clear Jewelstar prototype they put together!
    Last edited by Tallstar; December 2, 2011 at 07:58am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That double date of goobly goodness was exactly what I needed. I love hearing the horsemen's input, and gorram, you made me order a few Scarabus variants and the Time Keepers

Keep 'em coming, Val.
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

Great episode guys. Its always awesome when Eric comes on and provides that behind-the-scenes insight.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    "Wrong answer, Eric. Wrong answer."

I just starting listening with the last episode and I'm really enjoying it! Not quite finished with this episode, but will probably listen to the rest on the ride home from work.

I probably should've paid more attention to what a "Roast Gooble Dinner" actually was when it was posted on the main page in the past...

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    "That's the wrong answer, Scott" is one of my favorite lines ever said since collecting this line.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque

It was really interesting to hear the explanation as to why some of the female figures have painted face while others are just plastic.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    It was really interesting to hear the explanation as to why some of the female figures have painted face while others are just plastic.
    Alessandra's immortal "Butterface" comments!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress Ninjor Tung Lashor Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Mermista Evilseed (MYP)

So "no comment" ccertainly sounds like Eric was 100% responsible for the poor choice in THAT figure (no cost cutting mandate/milking her for all she's worth from Mattel at all)

That figure still irritates me so. . .

Also happy with Eamon's push to ask about the ladies' faces (and expressing disappointment in BG Teela that I share). And Eamon, I totally think the same thing every time I hear "Glory Bird". I am disturbed by that character.

Great times and looking forward to more next time.
    Last edited by urbanmyth; December 2, 2011 at 02:05pm.

Good episode, always great to hear Eric's behind the scenes insights.
    Keep em coming please Val
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Listened last night, amazing episode here. Love when Eric or ANY of the Four Horsemen are on to shed more insight on these top of the lien figures! Keep the Gooble coming! Love it!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I think we shouldn't read too much into Eric's "no comment".

In other news: It's a little sad to hear about the planned wing articulation for the Sorceress now that we know it will not actually do what it was supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Definitely. Eric's usually quick to take it on the chin if he or the 4H are at fault. A "no comment" to me must mean it's a Mattel thing, hence him also saying that he thought an official statement was going to be made.

ok where is 62!?!?! need more!!
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Definitely. Eric's usually quick to take it on the chin if he or the 4H are at fault. A "no comment" to me must mean it's a Mattel thing, hence him also saying that he thought an official statement was going to be made.
    In case this was directed at my comment, I'll clarify that I was being sarcastic. I've always assumed that the BG EL decision was 100% Mattel trying to squeeze more money out of that mold and that character (since now they can still do a real 200X EL to milk more $ out of her). I still kind of like the figure and I know it's gotten a lot of support. It's the principle of the matter and the being cheap AND shady/dishonest about the reason for making it that way that annoys me.

Thank you for getting this one out so quick, thank you thank you thank you very very very much.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Interesting that Eric said Emilliano also pushed for the poster designs of the Star Sisters over the unreleased prototypes.