Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 061 Discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Interesting that Eric said Emilliano also pushed for the poster designs of the Star Sisters over the unreleased prototypes.
    Emiliano has freely admitted on many of the Star Sisters threads that it was influence that pushed the 4H to the poster design.

the onlt thing that bugs me about going the route they did with the sisters is that Tallstars colors are HORRIBLE. I like the design okay, but i wish they would have stuck to the prototype complimenting colors. I will take chromed purple over baby friggin blue anyday....and ORANGE legs versus dark maroon or purple?....blehhhhhh!
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    great episode!! It is always awesome to listen to Eric Treadaway from the Horsemen!!! He is such a talent and a genuinely nice guy. MOTUC's is in good hands

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Emiliano has freely admitted on many of the Star Sisters threads that it was influence that pushed the 4H to the poster design.
    Then what did you guys say?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    People were upset and the Star Sisters Discussion thread got closed for months.

But yeah, it's common knowledge now that Emiliano and Alessandra pushed for Poster-based Star Sisters. It's also known that the majority of people that asked for the Star Sisters wanted Toy-based Star Sisters. Tallstar and I both compiled lists of names. It's all way too late to change now, though. We can only hope for Toy-based variants sometime in the future (preferably single releases a year or two apart so they actually get the tooling they need: Tallstar getting a removable torso extension & removable pants, Starla's star backpack, skirt with shooting star sash, NO star hat and Jewelstar needs pretty much a 100% tool to actually look like jewels like the Rock People look like rocks. That's how her toys were).
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

? Like how did the folks who want toy designs respond to Emiliano? You'll need to back to the threads to read up on those discussions. Me personally, I'm cool with what we are getting. . .or at least with the Horsemens' prototypes I saw at SDCC. I think the final product came out looking a little cheap with softer sculpts on some of the molds and less paint than the gorgeous prototypes . . . but at this point, as long as my sisters come with their correct limbs and don't shatter upon opening, I'll consider the set a win.

In my opinion the "toy Star Sisters" would have been even more problematic for people that aren't already fans due to the "hugeness" of the costumes.

But I have to admit it amazes me in general when people prefer the PoP toy designs over the filmation designs. I for one will be very happy if no MOTUC PoP figure will be based on those toys, but I understand that the PoP toy fans would prefer something else.

Interesting that Eric said Emilliano also pushed for the poster designs of the Star Sisters over the unreleased prototypes.
    Like Emilliano said about this, the existing POP Classics thus far have been based on the styleguide/Filmation looks and not the vintage toys looks, so it make sense to go that route with the Star Sisters as well.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Awesome episode !!! Will Eric be in the next couple of episodes as well ?
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Like Emilliano said about this, the existing POP Classics thus far have been based on the styleguide/Filmation looks and not the vintage toys looks, so it make sense to go that route with the Star Sisters as well.
    I disagree, I think there are a few examples where the toy designs are far superiour to the Filmation designs and would blend equally as well (if not moreso) within MOTUC. The prototype Star Sisters are an example of this, Entrapta as well. I personally don't think the best advise was given in this situation. I mean no offence to Emiliano and Alessandra as I have great respect for Emiliano and Ale is my friend. I can see the logic that was used. However, It was always about the prototype Star Sisters (designs and colors) IMO. For what they are they are nice figures and I am getting them, but like many other POP fans I really want the real deal at some point.

Painted similarly to this I think more more fans would have been accepting of the Star Sisters in MOTUC

I think it's sad that Mattel and the 4H have point blank refused to listen to requests to change the colors, perticularly on Tallstar, especially when other paint changes have been made in the same time frame when MOTU fans have requested them on other figures. It's left a number of POP fans quite upset.
    Last edited by Angel-T; December 3, 2011 at 07:14am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I actually prefer those colours instead of the Filmation colours, especially on Tallstar.
    However I much prefer the design of the Filmation versions.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I disagree, I think there are a few examples where the toy designs are far superiour to the Filmation designs and would blend equally as well (if not moreso) within MOTUC. The prototype Star Sisters are an example of this, Entrapta as well. I personally don't think the best advise was given in this situation. I mean no offence to Emiliano and Alessandra as I have great respect for Emiliano and Ale is my friend. I can see the logic that was used. However, It was always about the prototype Star Sisters (designs and colors) IMO. For what they are they are nice figures and I am getting them, but like many other POP fans I really want the real deal at some point.
    Yeah, pretty much exactly what you've said. There is NO reason MOTUC-ized classic toy versions of the likes of Glimmer, Angella, Frosta, Double Trouble, Entrapta, Netossa can't sit on a shelf and look completely at home with the likes of MOTUC Teela, Optikk, Faceless One, just for example- figures I feel show off a lot of detail in the costumes. I feel bad that the Star Sisters came out looking like they did- because just a TOUCH of added detail on each one would have gone a very long way in making these three really fantastic-looking action figures. I mean, folks- look at the original She-Ra release versus Bubble Power She-Ra. That's proof right there that taking some classic toy influence can seriously improve the look of what was once just a straight from the Filmation cartoon She-Ra (a She-Ra that was, coincidently, very flawed from the get-go).
    I don't want to see spandex-tights/unitard-wearing Glimmer and Angella in MOTUC when they can figure out some way to give them detailed skirts and bodices that are unique to them both. I don't know- I know people want that unified look in the line and so argue that it should be style guide all the way with PoP... but considering that MOTUC is a NEW line- there is no reasoning that says doing a detailed non-Filmation Glimmer won't "look right" on your shelves with MOTUC Bow, Man-At-Arms, He-Ro, etc etc. If anything, the watered-down, simplistic looks of figures like Catra, Adora, and Queen Marlena are the three sticking out somewhat like sore thumbs on my shelves specifically because they don't have any detail in their outfits, guantlets, or boots. And they were pretty much taken straight from Filmation.
    Last edited by zodak74; December 3, 2011 at 10:05am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    So "no comment" ccertainly sounds like Eric was 100% responsible for the poor choice in THAT figure (no cost cutting mandate/milking her for all she's worth from Mattel at all)

That figure still irritates me so. . .
    Me too. Even the RGD crew noticed my displeasure toward Battleground Evil-Lyn...

Too bad Mattel doesn't share Eric's sentiment about not wasting slots and trying to get things done the first time. For many fans who fear the end of the line due to Mattel's big mistakes, Battleground Lyn might be our last chance at getting a 200X Lyn. I'm looking forward to the Snake Man-At-Arms discussion, as well as the RGD that deals with the subscription selling less and the fallout that resulted from that.

Whatever happened to Eamon's view on the Star Sisters? He seemed way more supportive on RGD than on that thread he started.

Val, have you seen ThunderCats yet? It's On Demand and the first 8 episodes are out on DVD.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Awesome episode !!! Will Eric be in the next couple of episodes as well ?
    Yep!

I think it's sad that Mattel and the 4H have point blank refused to listen to requests to change the colors, perticularly on Tallstar, especially when other paint changes have been made in the same time frame when MOTU fans have requested them on other figures.
    I really like the above photo mockup. But you're overstating things a bit, don't you think?

It's not like requests and suggestions about the Star Sisters are all one majority voice with one gameplan in mind. Opinions are all over the place. It's definitely not like the Faceless One where so many people are saying "Please paint the inside of his hood."

I'm also guessing you didn't listen to the show yet because Eric said he likes the idea of a toy color variant release. He's not refusing to listen at all.

You guys may want to get together in the Star Sisters thread and try to focus the direction of it. It's a bit too late now for the Feb release, but you never know. It may help later on down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Val, have you seen ThunderCats yet? It's On Demand and the first 8 episodes are out on DVD.
    I don't have cable or regular TV. I just watch DVDs or Netflix in the background as I work. I've only seen pieces of various episodes. I really like what I've seen thus far!

I think over time I came up with a specific recipe on how to combine Filmation versions and toy versions of the characters, and I talked to Eric once about that, I think we pretty much agreed that was the best way.
    I don't want to go off topic, so I won't discuss it here, but if you check my fan design for Castaspella, that is already using that recipe, and I'll use it on any new fan art I'll do

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/original.jpg

Painted similarly to this I think more more fans would have been accepting of the Star Sisters in MOTUC
    I have no real feelings on the Star Sisters, other than I'm kind of looking forward to them, but I will say I prefer the colors in the picture you posted over what we're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I think over time I came up with a specific recipe on how to combine Filmation versions and toy versions of the characters, and I talked to Eric once about that, I think we pretty much agreed that was the best way.
    I don't want to go off topic, so I won't discuss it here, but if you check my fan design for Castaspella, that is already using that recipe, and I'll use it on any new fan art I'll do
    You know I love your MOTUC designs Emiliano, many many fans do. But as a hardcore POP fan (which I totally know you are) it struck me as strange that you didn't feel the hybred approach would work with the Star Sisters? None of the prototype toy design influance made it into the current MOTUC Star Sisters figures, bar Glory Bird and maybe their staff's. I found it confusing because this choice did not follow the pattern you have adopted with your versions of MOTUC Castaspella, Perfuma and Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

I really like the above photo mockup. But you're overstating things a bit, don't you think?

It's not like requests and suggestions about the Star Sisters are all one majority voice with one gameplan in mind. Opinions are all over the place. It's definitely not like the Faceless One where so many people are saying "Please paint the inside of his hood."

I'm also guessing you didn't listen to the show yet because Eric said he likes the idea of a toy color variant release. He's not refusing to listen at all.

You guys may want to get together in the Star Sisters thread and try to focus the direction of it. It's a bit too late now for the Feb release, but you never know. It may help later on down the road.
    Val I'm sorry you feel I am overstating the issue, I didn't mean for my post to come across like that. I am not trying to cause bad feeling you know I am not like that. I have actively tried to stay out of the arguments these girls have caused. But listening to this RGD episode I'm a bit confused!

During the show Eric said "it would cost no more money to make BP She-Ra's dress whiter" or "we may only have one chance to do such obscure characters once so we have to try to do them right" but the versions of the Star Sisters many POP fans were asking for over the years appeared to be overlooked when it came time to include the Star Sisters in MOTUC. In my six years as a registered org member and lurker for many years before that I cannot ever remember a thread dedicated to asking for the poster or POP magazine version of the Star Sisters. Almost every fan I ever saw posting to support these characters was asking for the prototype designs.

With this in mind it's totally baffeling to me that Scott and the 4H chose to not listen to fans at SDCC and online who were and have been actively requesting color changes. I don't think it's unfair to think at the time no one was listening to these requests from fans. I should have been more specific about that in my previous post.

From what Eric was saying on RGD it sounds like he would now like to see toy variants which is great! But in all truthfullness I would assume it is quite unlikely. If more toy basaed variants are included in the sub as another 3 pack or individual characters all hell might break lose as a number of fans could feel they have already bought those characters (or had them forced upon them) so I doubt Mattel are really going to want to go there again considering the bad feeling the Star Sisters seem to have caused with certian areas of our fan community.

I also kinda question weither Mattel would infact go back to do another run of these girls outside of the sub either, they have proved to be quite contentious characters with fans, and without the support of the sub behind them Mattel might feel there would not be enough support to produce variants of these characters. I whole heartedly hope that more versions of the Star Sisters are made and would actively support them if that came to be.

I totally conceed that oppinion has been all over the place but surely a middle ground could have been found on the first set. The majority of the complaints I recall reading seemed to centre on Tallstar, at the very least I do think changes could have been made on her color scheme.

Whats done is done and I will support the current Star Sisters regardless, it just feels like an opportunity to get the Star Sisters in a way that would have been more appealing to both the general MOTU fan and the hardecore She-Ravers has been missed, and because of that the Star Sisters have become more contentious than they needed to be. I personally would have loved to seen Emiliano's hybred design recipe used on the Star Sisters, then things like Starla's back pack, sash and Tallstars pants might have made the cut. Anyway thats my 2 pence worth said, I won't keep dragging it up. This was a very intresting episode RGD and I enjoyed it even if I sound a bit grouchy in my posts over this issue.
    Last edited by Angel-T; December 3, 2011 at 02:20pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

The only way I could see Mattel ever revisiting The Star Sisters again is if in the year of PoP's 30th anniversary if Mattel did a line outside of MOTUC that was a separate PoP line to commemorate the big year. Which would be, what, 2015? I can't see Starla, Jewelstar, or Tallstar ever getting single-carded part-of-the-subscription quarterly variant slot releases at all in MOTUC. If people have been sooo angered by BG Evil-Lyn and SMAA, can you imagine the fury if a re-colored Tallstar with some changed details was made part of the sub? Yikes!

I like Emiliano's Castaspella MOTUC concept very much. I hope she turns out like that.

So far, to me though, 80's PoP > MOTUC PoP because they are much more detailed and have more display options. Like MOTU has removable armour and such, PoP had removable vests, skirts, etc. that allowed you to create a lot of different characters. MY Adora was She-Ra without skirt, Angella's pants and Glimmer's jacket. That's how I purchased her and that's how I thought she was made. I would love to recreate her in MOTUC, but I highly doubt we'll even get the pieces to make that possible.

MOTUC Bubble Power She-Ra is a HUGE step in the right direction and I absolutely love how she looks! I'm still waiting for her to arrive, though.

I just REALLY hope all the future PoP ladies that had toys do not come out 100% Filmation. Action figures from any line (except an animated-style line, like JLU) are MUCH more detailed than that.

I still fully believe that if the 4H sculpted a MOTUC PoP based 100% off the toys (like everything else in the MOTUC line), people would love it. I think the only reason there's a big divide is because the original toys had rooted hair and cloth materials (something MOTUC does not have) and people just have it set in their minds that's how they would turn out...even though they would be translated into plastic in MOTUC. Bubble Power She-Ra is VERY close to the 80's Bubble Power She-Ra and she has gone over pretty well! The vast majority of people seem to prefer her detailed boots and bracelets and those are straight from the 80's toy!

Here are a few examples of MOTUC customs that are based off of the 80's Toy PoP designs:

Last edited by Darkspecter; December 3, 2011 at 04:03pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

The Catra with the butteryfly pants would not work. Only person that might like that is Big Country.

The Catra with the butteryfly pants would not work. Only person that might like that is Big Country.
    Butterfly pants? What the heck are you talking about?

Her pink pants with butterflies on them.

Her pink pants with butterflies on them.
    Oh, you mean her leopard spots.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I like Emiliano's Castaspella MOTUC concept very much. I hope she turns out like that.

So far, to me though, 80's PoP > MOTUC PoP because they are much more detailed and have more display options. Like MOTU has removable armour and such, PoP had removable vests, skirts, etc. that allowed you to create a lot of different characters. MY Adora was She-Ra without skirt, Angella's pants and Glimmer's jacket. That's how I purchased her and that's how I thought she was made. I would love to recreate her in MOTUC, but I highly doubt we'll even get the pieces to make that possible.

MOTUC Bubble Power She-Ra is a HUGE step in the right direction and I absolutely love how she looks! I'm still waiting for her to arrive, though.

I just REALLY hope all the future PoP ladies that had toys do not come out 100% Filmation. Action figures from any line (except an animated-style line, like JLU) are MUCH more detailed than that.

I still fully believe that if the 4H sculpted a MOTUC PoP based 100% off the toys (like everything else in the MOTUC line), people would love it. I think the only reason there's a big divide is because the original toys had rooted hair and cloth materials (something MOTUC does not have) and people just have it set in their minds that's how they would turn out...even though they would be translated into plastic in MOTUC. Bubble Power She-Ra is VERY close to the 80's Bubble Power She-Ra and she has gone over pretty well! The vast majority of people seem to prefer her detailed boots and bracelets and those are straight from the 80's toy!

Here are a few examples of MOTUC customs that are based off of the 80's Toy PoP designs:

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...taClassic1.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5610/dsc07537q.jpg

http://www.yumekimino.com/public/upload/28092011091.jpg

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...sicsCatra1.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9013/dsc02908s.jpg
    I don't think that people have it set in their minds that the PoP figures would come out looking like they had rooted hair. I think that way more people prefer the Filmation designs, as they are more well-known. Plus, back in the day, PoP figures looked out of place next to MotU figures. The cartoon beautifully intertwined the two franchises. I for one, want my MotUC PoP figures to look as close to Filmation as possible. My favorite figure in the line so far is She-Ra 1.0 because it's the She-Ra figure that I've always wanted-one that looks like it came straight out of the cartoon. No offense, as I hope that everyone can get what they want out of this line, but Mattel is gonna make what they think will sell. Way more people will buy PoP figures based on their Filmation looks as opposed to their toy looks.

For the Star Sisters, the best we could probably get out of Mattel is individual straight-up repaints with no new tooling that are outside of the subscription. Even though I'm usually not too hot on the idea of spending $ on repaints without any other extras being included, it would be nice to get a factory paint job on them at least, which would no doubt exceed anything I could do with my basic-ass paints/brushes.

Anyhow, I should be getting the Star Sisters on the 6th and I'm going to be repainting Tallstar and Jewelstar for sure. I've also got plans to include some of the missing toy elements on Tallstar - the connector pieces on the forearms for sure (which I already have ready) - so hopefully she will come out good enough to convince some more folks to pressure Mattel.

P.S. Love that you posted those customs, Darkspecter!