Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 061 Discussion!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    For the Star Sisters, the best we could probably get out of Mattel is individual straight-up repaints with no new tooling that are outside of the subscription. Even though I'm usually not too hot on the idea of spending $ on repaints without any other extras being included, it would be nice to get a factory paint job on them at least, which would no doubt exceed anything I could do with my basic-ass paints/brushes.

Anyhow, I should be getting the Star Sisters on the 6th and I'm going to be repainting Tallstar and Jewelstar for sure. I've also got plans to include some of the missing toy elements on Tallstar - the connector pieces on the forearms for sure (which I already have ready) - so hopefully she will come out good enough to convince some more folks to pressure Mattel.

P.S. Love that you posted those customs, Darkspecter!
    Tallstar, there's nothing wrong with repainting your figs (heck, you might get a better paint job than the one from the factory!). I've repainted some of my figures, and they look great! Granted, I wish I had way more skills at painting and customizing, but I still like how mine turned out!

Man just Imagine how freaking cool Baena would make these girls if he repainted them in toy colors....they would be totally amazing!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    You know I love your MOTUC designs Emiliano, many many fans do. But as a hardcore POP fan (which I totally know you are) it struck me as strange that you didn't feel the hybred approach would work with the Star Sisters?
    Is not that I didn't feel the hybrid approach wouldn't have worked. My exact suggestion was "I'd go for the cartoon version but look at the poster for added details and colors (let's not forget the poster/style guide image is based on the cartoon design that is based on the tot design)

None of the prototype toy design influance made it into the current MOTUC Star Sisters figures, bar Glory Bird and maybe their staff's. I found it confusing because this choice did not follow the pattern you have adopted with your versions of MOTUC Castaspella, Perfuma and Angella.
    There is one detail you're overlooking: I never did any design for the Star Sisters, unlike the characters you mentioned
    At the end of the day, I only got to give a few words suggestion, I wish Mattel would allowe me to work more directly with the 4H and maybe fine tune the idea and put it on paper (basically letting me do my job, but for MOTU instead of Transformers for once)
    I also remember noticing the translucent plastic in Starla's legs, but never getting a chance to let the 4H know about that.

I'm not saying I woulnd't have done the same, and maybe be wrong again.
    But as long as no one think I made the wrong suggestion with the intention of ruining the Star Sisters or damaging She-Ra character, I'm cool at accepting I may have made a mistake (even if I think I was just 50% wrong).

You know, now that we've seen how much new tooling is involved, I'd like to go back and do the sketchs I never did at the time, to figure out exactly what could be good for a potential toy version.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Is not that I didn't feel the hybrid approach wouldn't have worked. My exact suggestion was "I'd go for the cartoon version but look at the poster for added details and colors (let's not forget the poster/style guide image is based on the cartoon design that is based on the tot design)

There is one detail you're overlooking: I never did any design for the Star Sisters, unlike the characters you mentioned
    At the end of the day, I only got to give a few words suggestion, I wish Mattel would allowe me to work more directly with the 4H and maybe fine tune the idea and put it on paper (basically letting me do my job, but for MOTU instead of Transformers for once)
    I also remember noticing the translucent plastic in Starla's legs, but never getting a chance to let the 4H know about that.

But as long as no one think I made the wrong suggestion with the intention of ruining the Star Sisters or damaging She-Ra character, I'm cool at accepting I may have made a mistake (even if I think I was just 50% wrong).

You know, now that we've seen how much new tooling is involved, I'd like to go back and do the sketchs I never did at the time, to figure out exactly what could be good for a potential toy version.
    but the colors are the worst and most ugly thing about them...other then the hat lol

and Glory bird is not based on the toy's ether his star was flat on top not standing on the sides

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Emiliano, I would never think you would intend to ruin or dammage the Star Sisters or hurt She-Ra or POP. I KNOW you love She-Ra and co to death, that was honestly never a thought in my head I just wanted to understand a little bit more about how you came to make that decision because it supprised me that you would want to go in that direction. Thank-you for explaning it a little bit more. I'm truly sorry if I made you feel I was attacking you. You know I think you rock sir. I also agree that Mattel do need to let you work more with the 4H, but thats a conversation for another episode of RGD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    Glory bird is not based on the toy's ether his star was flat on top not standing on the sides
    I always thought that the Glory Bird in the prototype pictures had a wrongly positioned star? However, in the concept drawing of the Star Sisters that can be found on Grayskull Museam (along with Spinerella, Netosse, Bubble Power She-Ra and Shower Power Carta) Glory Bird's star is in the exactly the same position as it is in her MOTUC sculpt. So it is arguable that her head dress is right. In the poster used for the main reference for the MOTUC Star Sisters Glory Bird dosen't even have a head dress, she is just a pink bird. So the 4H must have taken influance from the toy design for her at least.
    Last edited by Angel-T; December 3, 2011 at 07:24pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I'm truly sorry if I made you feel I was attacking you. You know I think you rock sir. I also agree that Mattel do need to let you work more with the 4H, but thats a conversation for another episode of RGD.
    No need to apologize, I never felt offended or attacked, I just wanted to explain it a bit more

I always thought that the Glory Bird in the prototype pictures had a wrongly positioned star? However, in the concept drawing of the Star Sisters that can be found on Grayskull Museam (along with Spinerella, Netosse, Bubble Power She-Ra and Shower Power Carta)
    And just to add another info, the catpion for that image on Grayskull Museum is wrong: those aren't cocept drawings, but cross sell art based on the finished toys

Putting aside the colors for a moment, one of the biggest reasons I prefer the toy designs to the poster is because Jewelstar and Tallstar are different than just your typical female heroine in a costume. With her twisty conduit-inspired pants and connector pieces at her forearms, thighs and boot tops, Tallstar very much reads like she's partially robotic. Jewelstar physically looks like she's made out of a jewel/crystals. These attributes are rarities on the side of goodness. I dunno. I guess I also viewed these two gals as the 'Ram-Mans' of POP' - our only chances to get figures that are very close to 100% tooling (which Jewelstar is nowhere near).

I guess I don't understand why Mattel and the 4H think those toys elements don't fit in with MOTUC? The design on Tallstar's boot tops are totally in line with something like the rings on top of Sy-Klone's boots, for example.

hahaha i so had the animal with tiger feet in the tire as a kid

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I guess I don't understand why Mattel and the 4H think those toys elements don't fit in with MOTUC? The design on Tallstar's boot tops are totally in line with something like the rings on top of Sy-Klone's boots, for example.
    See, I dont' think they think that. They went for another style, but not with the idea "toy elements won't work". In fact, on BB She-Ra, there are a lot of toy elements.

See, I dont' think they think that. They went for another style, but not with the idea "toy elements won't work". In fact, on BB She-Ra, there are a lot of toy elements.
    But if you'll notice, the few toy elements we've gotten in MOTUC thus far have either been a complete afterthought, as was the case with Bubble Power She-Ra (that's the impression I'm left with after hearing this episode), or in the shadow of a look that's predominantly Filmation/Style guide. There have also been a few discussions now about "keeping a consistent look", which implies that the toy line versions somehow throw the balance off.

I know the immediate reaction will probably be: "But Filmation is more popular." However, to me, these attempts to place limitations on the POP figures are 100% not in the spirit of what Mattel set out to do with MOTUC... and MOTU has no such limitations.

When listening to Mattel and the 4H speak about POP, there's very much a sense of desperation in their words that implies that - save for maybe future variants of She-Ra and Catra - they have to compromise on all the secondary POP gals because they're only getting one shot at having a figure in this line. Meanwhile, everyone from Queen Marlena to Count Marzo is "on the table" for a future variant.

I don't think this is at all fair to POP fans. I realize that a character such as Count Marzo had significant appearances in the MYP cartoon, but the point is that someone at Mattel had to make the decision to uplift him to A-List status. Why can't they do the same for some POP characters?

Songster's Understudy SUPERFANben's Avatar
    Any time Emiliano gets praise from the Horseman makes the show. Great show!
    You getting a Songster figure will be my fault.