Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clawful Love

Heroic Warrior

Clawful Love

People seem to use Clawful as the basis for all that is wrong with the MMOTUUC line, and man, I just don't get it. I like Clawful--a lot, and what's more impirtant, my son LOVES Clawful. he is probably my son's favoorite of the new Master''s toys. I think he fits in perfectly, so i just don''t get all the venom directed towards this toy

People don't like Clawful for lots of reasons - not just his goofy face, but the "action feature" claw (which should have been articulated) & his pointless shell-shield (which took the place of an extra head).

But hey, to each their own.
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; October 27, 2011 at 11:46am.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    An adult line? These are toys. Adults may enjoy them, and they may, at the moment, be targetted towards adults, but they are toys and they are for kids. You want this line to last? You want Masters to last? Better start caring about what kids like my son think.
    The face is GREAT. The Claw is COOL. And the shield is INSPIRED. Would another head have been cool? Absofrigginlutely, but an extra head is always cool.

It would have been better if they gave him an updated head instead of the shield but do I like Clawful. Even with the vintage head. I just love the bright red colour he brings to the shelf.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Crusader, would an updated head have llooked good on this Clawful body, in your opinion? I'm not sure it would have.

There has been a digital mockup floating around with the staction head on him and it looked great in my opinion. But I love the vintage one just as much, especially when I see him next to the original figure.

As for Whiplash, I like the sculpt of his 200x head but it doesn't fit on the figure itself.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    People seem to use Clawful as the basis for all that is wrong with the MMOTUUC line, and man, I just don't get it. I like Clawful--a lot, and what's more impirtant, my son LOVES Clawful. he is probably my son's favoorite of the new Master''s toys. I think he fits in perfectly, so i just don''t get all the venom directed towards this toy
    Some fans think the vintage head looks like a Muppet compared to his more serious 200X look. While this isn't a hatred for the vintage era, it is disgust over fans being held to one design, when the could have catered to both audiences.

We have fans who prefer the 200X face and hated the decision that Mattel made in 2010 to remove them (presumably they were singled out as refreshes later). Whenever a vintage character is revealed without his "much improved" 200X inspired head, it's a reminder of what a terrible decision it was.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    There has been a digital mockup floating around with the staction head on him and it looked great in my opinion. But I love the vintage one just as much, especially when I see him next to the original figure.

As for Whiplash, I like the sculpt of his 200x head but it doesn't fit on the figure itself.
    I agree re Whiplash, which is why I didn't think it would work here either

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Some fans think the vintage head looks like a Muppet compared to his more serious 200X look. While this isn't a hatred for the vintage era, it is disgust over fans being held to one design, when the could have catered to both audiences.

We have fans who prefer the 200X face and hated the decision that Mattel made in 2010 to remove them (presumably they were singled out as refreshes later). Whenever a vintage character is revealed without his "much improved" 200X inspired head, it's a reminder of what a terrible decision it was.
    I guess the issue here is whether folks think that the 200z heads are, as you say, much improved. For the msot part, I don't care for the 200x look, but i am happy to have an extra head to satisfy those who like the look and feel of that series. Just seems like this characte, above all, gets a lot of hate, perhaps becasue the face does look so much like the vintage toy(which for me makes the toy that much more kid friendly and is therefore a plus)
    Last edited by aric; October 27, 2011 at 11:47am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

An adult line? These are toys. Adults may enjoy them, and they may, at the moment, be targetted towards adults, but they are toys and they are for kids. You want this line to last? You want Masters to last? Better start caring about what kids like my son think.
    Of course they're toys. But until your son & his friends see them advertised on TV & is able to take his credit-card to Matty-Collector & buy himself some MOTUC during the 5 mins they're available once a month, I think his opinion will remain totally irrelevant.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Of course they're toys. But until your son & his friends see them advertised on TV & is able to take his credit-card to Matty-Collector & buy himself some MOTUC during the 5 mins they're available once a month, I think his opinion will remain totally irrelevant.
    On the contrary, his opinion is essential to the future of MOTU. He doesn't need his own Credit Card. He can already nag his dad constantly about the toys he wants, just like all other kids do(including his sistters). And guess what? We buy our kids toys that they ask us for. Agreed that tv ads help, but for the MOTU property to continue, the products need to appeal to kids or parents who are buying toys for kids. I wouldn't buy my young kids toys thhat look like the 200x series. way too dark, but Clawful is perfectlly aimed at small kids.

Just seems like this characte, above all, gets a lot of hate, perhaps becasue the face does look so much like the vintage toy(which for me makes the toy that much more kid friendly and is therefore a plus)
    Indeed. The vintage & MOTUC heads are almost exactly the same with Clawful.

But see the subtle differences with say, MOTUC Whiplash or Webstor versus their vintage versions. The differences are enough to make them look dangerous rather than silly. Then, when you compare, say, MOTUC Teela or Skeletor versus the vintage versions, you'll see that the differences are large - & one reason why these particular figures look so cool.

Agreed that tv ads help, but for the MOTU property to continue, the products need to appeal to kids or parents who are buying toys for kids.
    No, it doesn't. The major of people buying this stuff are adult toy collectors - which is why this line is only appearing on adult websites & magazines. None of the marketing is directed at kids.

It is Mattel's explicit intention to sell these to the "adult collector".

But if kids want them, no-one's complaining.
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; October 27, 2011 at 11:55am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I guess the issue here is whether folks think that the 200z heads are, as you say, much improved. For the msot part, I don't care for the 200x look, but i am happy to have an extra head to satisfy those who like the look and feel of that series. Just seems like this characte, above all, gets a lot of hate, perhaps becasue the face does look so much like the vintage toy(which for me makes the toy that much more kid friendly and is therefore a plus)
    It all is relative to the fan in question.

Buzz-Off rivals Clawful in the head hatred department.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I have no problem with subtle differences, and I don't care if the tooys are faithful to the vintage tooys or not. But I don't think the head is silly looking, and certainly not any more silly looking than a lot of the other heads in the line. So still not sure why this toy gets singled out so much

i don't think a toy line that costs 20 plus dollars should be aimed at children at all...
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a DARKSIDE.

Heroic Warrior
    Poet,
    I don't know who is buying these toys. It may be a lot of collectors, and it may be a lot of folks, like myself, buying toys for their kids. We don;;t have any data. But the fact is that the fan base is currently middle aged(sorry guys), and for the property to remain viable, it needs to reach kids.

I have no problem with subtle differences, and I don't care if the tooys are faithful to the vintage tooys or not. But I don't think the head is silly looking, and certainly not any more silly looking than a lot of the other heads in the line. So still not sure why this toy gets singled out so much
    Dewd, try the comparison exercise I just mentioned.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    i don't think a toy line that costs 20 plus dollars should be aimed at children at all...
    I agree but many action figures on toy shelves these days are between 15 and 20 bucks.

Poet,
    I don't know who is buying these toys. It may be a lot of collectors, and it may be a lot of folks, like myself, buying toys for their kids. We don;;t have any data. But the fact is that the fan base is currently middle aged(sorry guys), and for the property to remain viable, it needs to reach kids.
    Only if you were putting it on the shelves of Toys R Us.

I'm not sure you have a good grasp as to how many toys out there are aimed at adult collectors only.

Heroic Warrior
    Dewd, try the comparison exercise I just mentioned.
    "Dewd" I understand the comparison. I disagree with the conclusion

Only if you were putting it on the shelves of Toys R Us.

I'm not sure you have a good grasp as to how many toys out there are aimed at adult collectors only.
    For there to be a future, the toys must reach kids
    Last edited by aric; October 27, 2011 at 12:02pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I agree but many action figures on toy shelves these days are between 15 and 20 bucks.
    i hear ya...well in my experience..i dont see kinds and moms scooping these up for their kids...personally i would not buy my kid a figure that coset that much...
    when i go to TRU (which is quite often) i rarely see kids and parents grabbing high end items... its usually a creepy dude like me skulking the isle and nabbing collectables before the scalper man gets there...
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a DARKSIDE.

For there to be a future, the toys must reach kids
    For this line to have a future, it needs to stay online as is. Let the kiddies play with something else. These toys are all mine!
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    i hear ya...well in my experience..i dont see kinds and moms scooping these up for their kids...personally i would not buy my kid a figure that coset that much...
    when i go to TRU (which is quite often) i rarely see kids and parents grabbing high end items... its usually a creepy dude like me skulking the isle and nabbing collectables before the scalper man gets there...
    There are clearly lots of adults scooping up action figs, but I do see kids looking for Iron man, Green Lantern, Batman, and many other action figures, whcih can run 15-20. Also see kids buying Thunder Cats figs which are in that price range. The toys may be targetted to adults right now, but is that sustainable long term? I like the fact that the toys are, for the most part, kid friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    For this line to have a future, it needs to stay online as is. Let the kiddies play with something else. These toys are all mine!
    LOL.. I read ya, and I sometimes vie with my kids over the toys. Mer Man for instance is all mine(but I do share from time to time)
    Last edited by aric; October 27, 2011 at 12:20pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The toys may be targetted to adults right now, but is that sustainable long term?
    So sure that the Mattel marketing team have got it all wrong!

Crusader, would an updated head have llooked good on this Clawful body, in your opinion? I'm not sure it would have.
    All you had to do was get rid of the STUPID Muppet eyebrows and Classics Clawful would have been perfect.

The 200x face and the vintage head are exactly the same except for the eyebrows.

The Classics head as it is now minus the eyebrows would have been perfect.

One ridiculous vintage element destroys the head sculpt.

Same head, same design, NO MUPPET EYEBROWS!!

Not Muppet:

Muppet:

It's such a shame too. Clawful is 95% perfect. He's just awful from the neck up.

The modern/200x head would have looked perfectly fine on the classics figure because the Classics figure is a 200x figure from the neck down.

Classics Clawful is way more 200x than vintage. He's got the scaled torso, scaled shoulders, and a more realistic blended paint scheme.

On the Classics figure the ridiculous vintage mupppet head is the one element that is out of place.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; October 27, 2011 at 12:26pm.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I love his head! Think the eyebrows are part of his charm.Ok, i hate the actionfeature and don´t like the shield much but he is
    absolutely one of my favorites
    Hey,compared to Snake at Arms he is absolute top-notch, isn´t he?