Thread: I voted for Illumina!

Threaded View

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar

I voted for Illumina!

Okay, there seem to be more conspiracy theories around Illumina then Roswell. Let me see if I can clear some of this up.

I've said before how Illumia is a bit of an obscure character. A few folks have asked about other "obscure" characters that have been in the line, Gygor, Vikor, maybe even Star Sisters as a comparison.

I'm not here to justify every choice, but as a broad overview, all of those character had longer histories or links directly to the vintage line. This gave them the extra "ah" factor management wants.

People have also asked (Suspected!) that Mattel wouldn't do Illumnia because she is connected to Val and Emiliano. Honestly, I really think this is something that means more to you guys. Mattel seriously has no opinion on this.

At the end of the day she is: "a character who never appeared in a story but only on a print ad". The zealous desire to see her in the line on this site and others I presume is because she has a connection to the He-Man.org founders and I totally respect that. (unless I am reading into things and the desire is instead perhaps due to her look? I can't think of something else since she has since she never had a storyline) But I can confirm her connection to Val or Emiliano or anyone else from 200X era never even comes up here. The ONLY time creators have EVER been linked directly to one figure are the 6 new 30th figures due to the PR angle and the contest. It is a one time thing to do this. Otherwise, it is policy that all characters in MOTU are created by Mattel employees or freelancers etc...and owned by Mattel, end of story I hope. We don't ever get into individual creators etc... In the past I have alluded that occasionally fans can jump to conclusions. This is a textbook example and I hope this clears this up! ;-)

Furthermore, when I note that Illumina is wanted by a small but loud group, that in no way means I don't respect this group and want to find a way to get her in the line. I TOTALLY respect that for whatever reason (be it her look, her cat or her connection to Emiliano etc..,) fans do want her in the line. And that is awesome. So here is where some misunderstanding may have occurred.

I don't want to throw off the current polls (here or on the German sites) so I am a bit afraid to state this...but... I feel some behind the scenes info would help. Ready?...I created this poll (as a marketing tool and fan engagement device) with the idea that I could use it to try and find a way to get Illumina in the line!

You see; I know if I bring her to management as part of a "monthly slot" I'm going to get shot down. I'm sorry, but she is just too obscure and lacking an additional bonus of having a link to the vintage line. Honestly, no one but me wants to do her (trust me, I have pitched her so I know).

BUT: if she "happens" to win a fan choice... I suddenly have the ammo I need to get her into the line through management approvals!

MOTUC is not just "Scott Neitlich says!". Hardly at all. Yes I am a guiding force and I wrote the mini comic story and the overarching bio story but when it comes to individual figures and slots we still need to get approvals like every other line and work through the existing Mattel system (that word you all love called Logistics!).

But as brand manager it is also my job to deliver figures fans want. I hear you on Illumina, I really do. So you can see my issue. A figure fans want but one I know management will shoot down. I knew I needed a bigger WOW to get Illumina (or a character just as obscure and demanded) into the line for fans. So how do we do this: bang - we are doing a contest!

Granted in the end, the contest is for any "out of the way" character. This is your (the customer/fan's) chance to give a character that is otherwise a little bit obscure that extra "I won the fan's choice" hrummph that will let that character glide through approvals.

I want to do all I can to deliver fan demanded characters in the line. Outside of Carnivus, there really hasn't been anyone i pushed for that didn't also have fan demand (I hope!). I have to work within the Mattel "system" and believe me, that is a full time job on its own. Finding a way to give a character as obscure as Illumina (and not connected to the vintage line in some way) extra ZIP wasn't simple.

So in conclusion, I hope whomever fans want the most not only wins the website nominations but hopefully the subscriber vote off in July. Either way, this slot is yours to contribute to in order to get someone you really want into the line for sure! If it is Illumina, awesome. If someone else wins, awesome as well. Either way, fans win!

Hope this helps!

Scott

PS: Yes I did really vote for her!
    Last edited by Toyguru; December 8, 2011 at 08:13pm.