Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I voted for Illumina!

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar

I voted for Illumina!

Okay, there seem to be more conspiracy theories around Illumina then Roswell. Let me see if I can clear some of this up.

I've said before how Illumia is a bit of an obscure character. A few folks have asked about other "obscure" characters that have been in the line, Gygor, Vikor, maybe even Star Sisters as a comparison.

I'm not here to justify every choice, but as a broad overview, all of those character had longer histories or links directly to the vintage line. This gave them the extra "ah" factor management wants.

People have also asked (Suspected!) that Mattel wouldn't do Illumnia because she is connected to Val and Emiliano. Honestly, I really think this is something that means more to you guys. Mattel seriously has no opinion on this.

At the end of the day she is: "a character who never appeared in a story but only on a print ad". The zealous desire to see her in the line on this site and others I presume is because she has a connection to the He-Man.org founders and I totally respect that. (unless I am reading into things and the desire is instead perhaps due to her look? I can't think of something else since she has since she never had a storyline) But I can confirm her connection to Val or Emiliano or anyone else from 200X era never even comes up here. The ONLY time creators have EVER been linked directly to one figure are the 6 new 30th figures due to the PR angle and the contest. It is a one time thing to do this. Otherwise, it is policy that all characters in MOTU are created by Mattel employees or freelancers etc...and owned by Mattel, end of story I hope. We don't ever get into individual creators etc... In the past I have alluded that occasionally fans can jump to conclusions. This is a textbook example and I hope this clears this up! ;-)

Furthermore, when I note that Illumina is wanted by a small but loud group, that in no way means I don't respect this group and want to find a way to get her in the line. I TOTALLY respect that for whatever reason (be it her look, her cat or her connection to Emiliano etc..,) fans do want her in the line. And that is awesome. So here is where some misunderstanding may have occurred.

I don't want to throw off the current polls (here or on the German sites) so I am a bit afraid to state this...but... I feel some behind the scenes info would help. Ready?...I created this poll (as a marketing tool and fan engagement device) with the idea that I could use it to try and find a way to get Illumina in the line!

You see; I know if I bring her to management as part of a "monthly slot" I'm going to get shot down. I'm sorry, but she is just too obscure and lacking an additional bonus of having a link to the vintage line. Honestly, no one but me wants to do her (trust me, I have pitched her so I know).

BUT: if she "happens" to win a fan choice... I suddenly have the ammo I need to get her into the line through management approvals!

MOTUC is not just "Scott Neitlich says!". Hardly at all. Yes I am a guiding force and I wrote the mini comic story and the overarching bio story but when it comes to individual figures and slots we still need to get approvals like every other line and work through the existing Mattel system (that word you all love called Logistics!).

But as brand manager it is also my job to deliver figures fans want. I hear you on Illumina, I really do. So you can see my issue. A figure fans want but one I know management will shoot down. I knew I needed a bigger WOW to get Illumina (or a character just as obscure and demanded) into the line for fans. So how do we do this: bang - we are doing a contest!

Granted in the end, the contest is for any "out of the way" character. This is your (the customer/fan's) chance to give a character that is otherwise a little bit obscure that extra "I won the fan's choice" hrummph that will let that character glide through approvals.

I want to do all I can to deliver fan demanded characters in the line. Outside of Carnivus, there really hasn't been anyone i pushed for that didn't also have fan demand (I hope!). I have to work within the Mattel "system" and believe me, that is a full time job on its own. Finding a way to give a character as obscure as Illumina (and not connected to the vintage line in some way) extra ZIP wasn't simple.

So in conclusion, I hope whomever fans want the most not only wins the website nominations but hopefully the subscriber vote off in July. Either way, this slot is yours to contribute to in order to get someone you really want into the line for sure! If it is Illumina, awesome. If someone else wins, awesome as well. Either way, fans win!

Hope this helps!

Scott

PS: Yes I did really vote for her!
    Last edited by Toyguru; December 8, 2011 at 08:13pm.

Oh, Scott. You silly goose.

*sits back, kicks feet up, waits for chaos to ensue*
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Hopefully the good General Sunder was in the second spot!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Who'd you vote for last, TG?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Last edited by Shenlon; December 8, 2011 at 08:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    Oh, Scott. You silly goose.

*sits back, kicks feet up, waits for chaos to ensue*
    lol As a lurker, that's exactly what I thought, too. I laughed really hard reading his post imagining what people are going to do with it.

(And thanks, Toyguru, for trying to be positive! I hope that you don't get flamed too bad here this time.)

The Toy Guru, most polarizing person in the industry.

Why is upper management so involved in the character approvals anyways? They don't seem to know much about the world of MOTU/POP/NA/2002.

So what I'm hearing is...the winners of each fan poll...even if they do not ultimately win in July, still have a good chance at being made into figures?

And that you created this vote hoping specifically for Illumina to be made through those means?
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    SCOTT,

Will we be able to track the vote when it comes time to vote for the eight like we can with this poll, or will the votes be hidden, then the winner "announced?"
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back-half!) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 12) Saurod 13) Blast-Attak 14) Karg 15) Gwildor 16) Lodar 17) Mask of Power Demons

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Thanks for taking the time to write out that post, TG!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Why is upper management so involved in the character approvals anyways? They don't seem to know much about the world of MOTU/POP/NA/2002.
    That's what I wonder?

Why would they even know OR care who gets made? I wasn't under the impression that these upper management people cared so much. I thought that they might have been older men who knew the basics of MOTU, but not much else.

Are these management people actual fans of the property?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    PS: Yes I did really vote for her!
    I voted for her too. I'm just like Scott!
    mymotumemories.com

Hey Scott, thanks for working hard on this line and taking the time to listen and react to the fans of the line (even though we can be a bit over zealous sometimes)! As someone new to the line that has recently spent a ton of money on your product in the past few months, I commend you for being active and participating on fan forums such as this. Kaizen

My desire for Illumina has NOTHING to do with who created her.

Very rarely do I read comics because of the writers and artists involved. Generally, I follow characters.

When I saw that add in the back of a MOTU comic so many years ago, I thought "Holy crap! She looks cool! I wonder what her deal is?!?! How does she fit into the Eternian mythos?" Not once did I think "ooh, I can't wait to see what Val and Emiliano do with her. I'm so glad they created her."

Good design is good design. Doesn't matter who did it.

People don't want Mantenna because old so-and-so wrote that story about him back in 1980 something. They want him because he looks cool.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Illumina was my 2nd choice when I voted yesterday. Hawke was my first choice, and as of that time, the overall results showed Illumina in first place with Hawke in a very close second place. I really hope someway, somehow, both of these figures make it into the line!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Way to go Toy Guru! Thank u for that post!
    Wants Crita Veena Angella Mermista Peekablue Tung Lashor EvilSeed LizardMan Prahvus Saurod Gwildor Ninjor Ssquueeze Sagitar Calix Tuskador Perfuma Spinnerella Dragstor Vultak Dylamug Masque Sebrian DreeElle Montork Miro Blast Attack MultiBot Granita Hawke Hunga Kittrina Quakke Butthead Hoove Darius Spinwit Nocturna Kayo Lizzor Artilla Vizar Staghorn Lodar Twiggets Rotar Twistoid Sunder Drissi Caz

Here's an idea why doesn't Val or Emil give the rights (or sell them) to Mattel so they can make her?

I will drink the Kool aid if you are really sincere Scott. Maybe a good way to start would be to reach out to Emilliano and Val. Work together and bring Illumina to fruition.

Maybe these polls will help those above you in doubt change their minds. I can understand what you mean by upper management. All they care about is the bottom line. They don't want to take a risk on a no name character for fear it might lose them money.

But at the same time , I think you have to fight for Illumina if you are our voice to them.

Thanks for the post Scott. It's appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Here's an idea why doesn't Val or Emil give the rights (or sell them) to Mattel so they can make her?
    What makes you think they can't make her?

Wasn't there a vintage concept about a Lady with a Panther creature... I think I saw it on a TomArt's Article... I remember a Black and white sketch... Can't we combine that Vintage concept lady with Illumina?
    Elf Looking Blue Lady, that's why I want her... Not cause of Val or Emiliano...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Thanks for this Scott. Please do, in time, create the winners of the org and German polls! (Geldors winning over there!)
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Thanks for the post Scott, and I think it's cool you voted for Illumina.

I don't understand why upper management cares though. If Illumina was included in the sub, her sales would be guaranteed as part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyGuru
    At the end of the day she is: "a character who never appeared in a story but only on a print ad".
    The Wind Raider Pilot only appeared in a poster and he seemed like he was a possibility with no problems mentioned. There isn't much difference between him and Illumina. The only advantage he has is the fact that he appeared on a vintage poster instead of a 200x ad, so he has (barely) vintage cred.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyGuru
    The zealous desire to see her in the line on this site and others I presume is because she has a connection to the He-Man.org founders and I totally respect that. (unless I am reading into things and the desire is instead perhaps due to her look? I can't think of something else since she has since she never had a storyline)
    She did have a storyline but it never made it into printed form. Her planned background has been online for awhile now though, even if it never made it into the comic (much like the season 3 plans for the MYP cartoon).

Mainly though, the interest in the character stems from a combination of factors.

1.) The character looks cool and mysterious, and her look fits into MOTU pretty nicely IMO. She represents something cool we never got to see played out in the comic. I know when I first saw that ad, I was intrigued by this new character and was bummed we never got to see that story.

2.) In a sense, she has also come to represent the fan community. She was created by Val and Emiliano in an official creative capacity when they were working on the comic. That's really cool and it resonates with a number of fans.

3.) Fans were getting the sense that this character would never be made due to statements you've made in the past. Thus the more you indicated there wasn't enough demand to justify her, the more you fanned the flames of interest in a figure of her. I don't know if that was an intentional strategy on your part or not, since you mentioned the reason for coming up with all this was to try and help get the character made. If so, it worked because you got a lot of people into a lather over it.

Anyway, glad you took the time to post and to vote.

Thanks Scott,

I really hope I can get Illumina (she really looks great in that Preview art) and Geldor eventually.