Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: I voted for Illumina!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    As long as people are buying the toys, I don't mind being a punching bag (Spector comments or not). I want more MOTUC figures as much as anyone else (maybe more so since it is also my livlihood). My only goal (well one of many) is to keep the line going as long as possible. If that means people get mad at me online but in turn it keeps people talking about the line and therefore the line keeps going, all the better. Hopefully we have years to go on for MOTUC! I just want more toys, be it vintage updates, obscure fan requests, or concept figures and out of the box ideas. More toys = more MOTU = more happy collectors (me being one of them!). If it means "taking one for the line" and being the blunt of fan reaction, that is fine. As long as in the end it means more toys.
    ... how noble

So unhappy customers are good publicity, as long as people talk about the line it's all good ?

customer A: Man, I'm so unhappy with this line, half of the time the paint apps are terrible or the figures get misassembled. They lure you in with great sculpts and prototypes, but the QC on the actual product is really poor ...

customer B: Sweet !!! I want in !!!

Yeah, let's base our entire marketing strategy on Oscar Wilde quotes instead of delivering quality product ...
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I never said that.
    I don't believe this plan ever existed. Don't put words in my mouth.
    I agree with what other users pointed out: the fan poll was created to make up for other not so good PR stuff happened immediatly before.
    I wasn't trying to put words in to your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    I just don't like the fact that she's being used as some kind of symbol of protest to "stick it" to Mattel when it was Mattel who put together the fan's choice vote in the first place.
    To me it looks like the opposite, where the fan choice vote is now stuck to us to prove how unimportant we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    I just don't like the fact that she's being used as some kind of symbol of protest to "stick it" to Mattel when it was Mattel who put together the fan's choice vote in the first place.
    To me it looks like the opposite, where the fan choice vote is now stuck to us to prove how unimportant we are.
    Before you keep being sarcastic to me, please also add to your quote the Toyguru's post we were talking about, and don't pull my sentences out of context, okay? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    "so this is back to the whole master-mind plan that the entire fan poll competition was created to show no one wants illumina after all? how ever does Scott come up with these ghastly plans! the mighty spector's description should be 'evil mastermind'."

Sorry Ealo, I'm not trying to start a fight with you but when I read that part of your previous post to Emiliano that is exactly how it came across to me. Maybe you didn't mean for it to come across that way but it struck me as quite sarcastic!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    "so this is back to the whole master-mind plan that the entire fan poll competition was created to show no one wants illumina after all? how ever does Scott come up with these ghastly plans! the mighty spector's description should be 'evil mastermind'."

Sorry Ealo, I'm not trying to start a fight with you but when I read that part of your previous post to Emiliano that is exactly how it came across to me. Maybe you didn't mean for it to come across that way but it struck me as quite sarcastic!
    yes, i was being sarcastic with what i wrote, the bit you quoted. i didnīt mean to say that emiliano had said that, if thatīs how it reads. in order to not put words in to someoneīs mouth, i put the quote of emiliano in so people could read for themselves why i think that.

Before you keep being sarcastic to me, please also add to your quote the Toyguru's post we were talking about, and don't pull my sentences out of context, okay? Thank you.
    All I wrote was I wasn't trying to put words in to your mouth then quoted you and even quoted what you were replying to. I wasnīt being sarcastic, I was actually trying to not be sarcastic. If you feel you need to quote TG in order to give more context then go ahead. I donīt see how TGīs posts change the meaning of what you said though.

If Illumina goes up against Mosquitor/Scorpia/Octavia level characters and your suspicions are correct then I will be the first to apologise to you and everyone else. I'm really not trying to upset anyone. I just genuinely don't see this whole fan poll/org poll as a bad thing and I think it was done with the best of intentions.

Heroic Warrior
    A lot of the time people fail to realize that English is a second language for Emil so it takes the effort to READ HIS POST FULLY AND RE-READ IT to make sure you are properly understanding what he said. He never said he has some kind of hatred or bitterness over Illumina and Toyguru making the poll; rather, I believe he was saying, and correct me if I'm wrong Emiliano- the way in which TG presented it to us came off as a scenario where " hey heres the means for a popular character to be made and if it fails it's on the voters ".
    Last edited by vertigoink; December 13, 2011 at 10:18am. Reason: clarification

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    Hey, Emiliano. I do appreciate that you take the time to discuss this with me and explain things. It seems through our discussions and the ones I have had with JVS3, I have a much better understanding.

I think it is safe to say there are things we both agree on, and some we can agree we disagree. Let's just leave it at that.

Just a couple quick things I wanted to mention...

I hope so too.

I never said it was my only source.

Never said that's all I knew, either.

An weird alien in a bar scene is different than one of your top three main characters, Emiliano. They made suggestions, like any other investors would. And he also got feedback from those working with him at the time. He wasn't surrounded by "yes-men" like he is now. While I have no doubt that you know a lot about the Star Wars franchise, please don't assume that I don't.

That is actually incorrect. Lucas did run Lucasfilm, which was the studio that created the first film. However, he was not independent at that time. That is where 20th Century Fox comes in. They financed the film. It was after the success of the first film in 1977 that Lucas could afford to finance Empire Strikes Back by himself and work independantly of the Hollywood system. Lucas himself has stated that he didn't mind releasing it through 20th century Fox, but he wanted to avoid them telling him he needed to make changes to his picture as they did with A New Hope. The success of the first Star Wars film gave him that opportunity. I mentioned that previously, but you might have missed it.

I don't think I want to know, haha.

I understand the aspects of internal and external pitches. I guess what I was not clear on is whether or not you were working for Mattel when you were working on the comic and created Illumina. I assumed that in some way you were, whether directly or through MVC or what have you, considering it was a MOTU comic. If you were employed by a company that paid Mattel for the licensing rights to create MOTU comics, even if Mattel never asked you to create Illumina, wouldn't she fall under their copyright as a derivative work? And if her image appeared in the comic, didn't someone at Mattel see it prior to it going to print for approval, especially since it was going in a comic that was a representation of their intellectual property? I have worked with licensed material before. The owners have always asked to see and approve anything regarding their property before it went into production. Did Mattel work differently in that respect? Also, I am not trying to be snarky or sarcastic. These are genuine questions. Oh, and just for clarifications sake, who legally owns Illumina? Is it MVC or Mattel?

I understand the submittion process and the aspect of going through the right channels. I don't think you understood what I was getting at. And that's fine. I was just asking what the initial intention was for providing that internal MVC document to Scott, which you answered. The reason why I said it sounded like you were submitting it was because, well, why else would you hand it over if only for them to look at it and get ideas. Which you actually said was your intent..."here is something we wrote in our own time, check it out, myabe you can find something useful for the new line". So thanks, for answering my question.

I know I don't. That's why I debate and ask questions.

No need to prove it, at all. We all know you do great work. I picked up some of it at Power-Con.

I'm sorry you feel I am attacking Emiliano. I can assure you that simply isn't true. We are both grown men having a discussion. It's ok for two people to have opposing viewpoints and to discuss or debate them. it actually makes for a healthy forum. Also, if you have actually read my posts, you would see that I stated a couple times that my posts are not meant with ill-will. I also apologized if they came off that way, as it was not my intention. Both Emiliano and I seem cool with each other, and I know that when Emiliano or anyone else disagrees with me that it isn't an attack. Some "jabs" are meant in good fun, and not meant to be anything personal. Hopefully you can see that now. If not, that's fine. That is your opinon and you are entitled to it.
    Your simply grasping at straws here sir. You are taking sentences from Emil and posting them OUT OF CONTEXT while commenting on each individually. Its VERY frustrating to see, so I could only imagine how it actually feels. Sure you could post "I mean no ill will" before everything, but come on fella... your starting to sound pretty desperate at this point.
    But, NO OFFENSE sir, Im not trying to argue! - See what I did there?
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    ZING!!!!

I think some of us are still awaiting clarification on the whole...

thing.

I'm awfully confused, what with all of the MOTU toys and Stactions that were produced during those years.
    yeah, esp since the 200x line launched in 2002! hence my laughing at your comment.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

thanks for your reply scott ...

i guess you're back to taking more heat today due to the demo-man delay ... i just wish people would ask more questions of mattel as a company in their criticisms rather than singling you out personally as if it's your fault ...

mattel are the people with all the money and power, right? ...

anyway, when is illumina being revealed!? ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    anyway, when is illumina being revealed!? ...
    When her career is over and she really needs the money. Then she'll be revealed on the cover of Playternian magazine...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    When her career is over and she really needs the money. Then she'll be revealed on the cover of Playternian magazine...
    Unfortunately however, her thighs will not rotate.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Unfortunately however, her thighs will not rotate.
    Depends on how many drinks you buy her...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Hef-Nor, Heroic Eternian publisher, offered her $750,000...

Depends on how many drinks you buy her...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

you know I have not heard one person mention Crackers and that really makes me made, all this talk of luminum and no Crackers!

Evil Apologist of MattelŪ Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mossyman View Post
    you know I have not heard one person mention Crackers and that really makes me made, all this talk of luminum and no Crackers!
    Here you go: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214184

I dunno if Crackers couldve made the poll, his awkward, lanky body probably would need too much tooling.
    -=ĪEvilCøuntMarzøĪ=-
    BLÅĮK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    ... how noble

So unhappy customers are good publicity, as long as people talk about the line it's all good ?

customer A: Man, I'm so unhappy with this line, half of the time the paint apps are terrible or the figures get misassembled. They lure you in with great sculpts and prototypes, but the QC on the actual product is really poor ...

customer B: Sweet !!! I want in !!!

Yeah, let's base our entire marketing strategy on Oscar Wilde quotes instead of delivering quality product ...

It's a bit more like....

customer B: Wait a minute... Are you saying He-man has TOYS AGAIN?!?!?! Where did you hear about THAT?!!?! Tell me MORE!

Fact remains, people complain more than they praise. We have hundreds of posts about Spector and Snake MAA, because of how much bitterness there is about them.

Draego man is almost universally loved... and there is VERY little discussion about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post

I dunno if Crackers couldve made the poll, his awkward, lanky body probably would need too much tooling.
    wow, I'm not the only one? just wow. I bet it would sell!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    It's a bit more like....

customer B: Wait a minute... Are you saying He-man has TOYS AGAIN?!?!?! Where did you hear about THAT?!!?! Tell me MORE!

Fact remains, people complain more than they praise. We have hundreds of posts about Spector and Snake MAA, because of how much bitterness there is about them.

Draego man is almost universally loved... and there is VERY little discussion about him.
    this is the thing, I have just got caught up on my classic collection, I heard about the classics were being made in 2008 I saw an pic of He man in toy fare magazine or something and I waited and waited, then I forgot I saw the toys r us two packs and thought, man when are they going to release this line? then I get on line and look it up and I missed like 3 years of it, I just wonder how many lost MOTU fans are out there like me, I didn't even know about the Org until last year or heck the MYP comics. I know them now and love them but Mattel didn't do a real good job at promotion I had to stumble across it.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    ... until his shoulders end up backwards as well ...

The figures themselves are not the problem, because they simply look awesome. It's the terrible QC and the way they are sold to the public that keeps this line from expanding any further. There will be considerably less people getting in as there will be people dropping out. This brand is bursting with potential, unfortunately it's just not managed properly.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I read page 1 and the last page (11)
    Page 1 was great, light hearted and warm, TG's post made me laugh and i read enough into it to take it how it was intended

Page 11, REALLY? REALLY? were arguing over something? seems like attacks on Emil! good god people lets not drag this thread down, it was meant to be a light hearted, frank and full of personal thoughts and opinions!

This is why i get bored of the hate filled net and take breaks

I really don't care about Illumina one way or the other I'm a completest so I would buy here regardless, she seems cool enough but I would rather have other characters first like Mekeneck, Ram Man, Two Bad, Frosta and so forth, but I know I will get those figures if the line stays active, but Illumina I would like just because it would give Emilio a thank you for the work he has done on MOTU, but personally I don't want the line to get over saturated by Women figures, I think the strong Woman character gets way over used in Motu, it's not as trendy as it used to be, if you have every woman be the tough talking no nonsense woman then it isn't special, and no I'm no sexist but Men are traditionally built physically stronger than Woman, but I think Woman can handle pain better but Men are Stronger as a whole.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mossyman View Post
    but Illumina I would like just because it would give Emilio a thank you for the work he has done on MOTU

There's some lightheartedness for page 11!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

sorry I didn't realize that I put that for his name lol

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post

Crackers should become the new king of Eternia in the bios. A King Crackers variant would rule.

Edit: Thunderpunch Crackers? Bubble Power Crackers? The possibilities are endless.