Thread: Classic 1980's Crystal Castle with Modern MOTUC She-Ra question

Classic 1980's Crystal Castle with Modern MOTUC She-Ra question

I've got question for anyone out there who owns a classic 1980's She-Ra Princess of Power Crystal Castle playset and also collects the modern MOTUC figures. Ever since I went to Power-Con my 4-year-old daughter has been totally into She-Ra. So I decided to get her a MOTUC Bubble Power She-Ra and Swiftwind for Christmas. Now, after seeing the cartoon and pictures from old coloring books, she has asked Santa Clause for She-Ra's Crystal Castle. My question is how much difference is there with regards to size? Are the new MOTUC She-Ra figures considerably larger and would look out of place with the classic Crystal Castle playset? Any advice/additional info would be helpful. Thanks.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ericrook View Post
    I've got question for anyone out there who owns a classic 1980's She-Ra Princess of Power Crystal Castle playset and also collects the modern MOTUC figures. Ever since I went to Power-Con my 4-year-old daughter has been totally into She-Ra. So I decided to get her a MOTUC Bubble Power She-Ra and Swiftwind for Christmas. Now, after seeing the cartoon and pictures from old coloring books, she has asked Santa Clause for She-Ra's Crystal Castle. My question is how much difference is there with regards to size? Are the new MOTUC She-Ra figures considerably larger and would look out of place with the classic Crystal Castle playset? Any advice/additional info would be helpful. Thanks.
    Yes, they're much larger.

The MOTUC figures wouldn't work with the original POP Crystal Castle.

Just watch Pixel Dan's review video to see the size difference:

The MOTUC She-ra wouldn't fit in the bed that comes with Crystal Castle, in the door, or on the throne.

Thanks for the info Eternian_Canadian. I did end up finding Pixel Dan's review of MOTUC She-Ra for a size comparison. I see that there are a few Crystal Castles available on eBay. Around $200 for a complete in box castle and about $60 for an incomplete castle. Is it a terrible gift to get your kid a used toy that is 25 years old? But it's not like they make a new version it. I can't justify paying the $599 for the unopened one on eBay. But it is one of the few things my daughter asked for and it would be possible to get, it's just gonna be used.

i think they look ok and i have seen lots of pix with Teela,Adora and Goddess in the bed and they look like they fit fine in it

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Snappy Threader
    I think they look ok too. Sure the figures are larger, but it would be fun for her. My son uses my old Snake Mountain, Fright Zone and Castle Grayskull with the classics all the time. Also, no I don't think it is a bad thing to get your daughter a 25 year old used toy. They clean up really well, and you can make it look brand new. I think it would make her Holiday, and your's too.

Heroic Warrior
    I think it's a great idea to purchase second hand gifts for kids.

At the end of the day, kids don't play with the box that the castle came in (well, I sometimes did, but only after "transforming" it into another castle/building/secret-headquarters). And it is the castle that lasts (as evidenced by the fact they're still available on Ebay), not the box.

I wouldn't worry too much about the scale (although I was a bit pedantic about scale when I was a kid, I still mixed and matched my paysets and the ninja turtles often found themselves trapped in the jail cell from my Bravestarr playset), but if you're truly concerned then maybe get some classic POP figures as well (again, second hand is fine - they don't need to be MIB).

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Just get her some She-Ra's and and some barbie outfits, and tell her that as a sewing project she can fit the 12 inch dresses on the 6 inch figures.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    I think it's a great idea to purchase second hand gifts for kids.

At the end of the day, kids don't play with the box that the castle came in (well, I sometimes did, but only after "transforming" it into another castle/building/secret-headquarters). And it is the castle that lasts (as evidenced by the fact they're still available on Ebay), not the box.

Haha, you sound like me.

My aunt had a store, and when I'd visit I'd always want to go out back where they put all the empty boxes to be ripped up and thrown out (this was before recycling, LOL). I'd pick out just the right one (ignoring the Miller Lite or whatever label) and I'd have SO much fun turning it into a new playset.

I had Grayskull and Crystal Castle as a kid. The year I asked for Snake Mountain they couldn't find it anywhere, and ended up getting me the "Secret Wars" playset (I can't believe I remember that as I couldn't tell you anything about Secret Wars). It looked similar to Snake Mountain in that it looked like an "evil" place, and I don't remember being terribly disapointed.

Snake Mountain is also the hardest vintage MOTU playset to get in-tact, so I have been hoping for an unopened version to pop up at a decent price but haven't yet. I love opening vintage toys like that, and doing a full tear-down and taking pics of the whole process. It excites the OCD in me.

I've been eyeing off Crystal Castles on eBay for a while. They seem to go for decent coin.

Just went to a local toy fair over the weekend and saw no less than THREE Crystal Castles! Two from the same seller. I bought their better condition one for $20. Doesn't have all the accessories, but I only really wanted the outer shell as a backdrop (have my Castle Grayskull from when I was a boy, mixed with the 200X castle, and also my childhood Snake Mountain as backdrops already).

Also picked up the Fright Zone walls from a seller there. He just gave them to me. Who was I to say no?

Heroic Warrior
    ^^^^

Wow. Cool score in Australia!

I can't seem to find any second had toy fairs in my neck of the woods (Brisbane, QLD) although I'm sure there must be some.