Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: G. I. Joe Retaliation

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Man, since that is the parameter being used for producers, I can foresee The Rock acting in "12 Monkeys", "The Sixth Sense" and "The Story of Us" remakes
    We aren't replacing one with the other so much just saying despite some people's opinion on the man, he IS a star, he's got juice and is a draw right now. If you read that article too it states how he and his management changed their focus and how well it's worked out. I don't know why people refuse to acknowledge his success. is it his background as a wrestler that people hold against him? I don't get it, his successes are public and documented but he still gets flack like he's only doing WWE films.

Hollywood knows he puts butts in the seats and IMO he earned it.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Pursuit of Cobra stuff is going to re-ship? Where did you hear that? That was the stuff that was out before the 30th Anniversary line, right? Like a year or so ago?

The Dollar General repaints have been out for several weeks already, and are AWESOME! Problem is, they are really hard to find. And since they've already been out for a while, they seem to be hitting that point of "you're only going to find them on Ebay now."
    Yeah, The Post Movie line, pre 30th Anniversary line. A very well known Joe collector sent me a release list a few months ago. They were going to ship out sort of leading up to the Retaliation toys, but I'm only starting to see them now. This is good and bad, Good because I can (and have) grabbed an Ally Viper (awesome, BTW), but, there will be boxes of multiple Arctic Destro, and he's already clogging shelves from before!
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    We aren't replacing one with the other so much just saying despite some people's opinion on the man, he IS a star, he's got juice and is a draw right now. If you read that article too it states how he and his management changed their focus and how well it's worked out. I don't know why people refuse to acknowledge his success. is it his background as a wrestler that people hold against him? I don't get it, his successes are public and documented but he still gets flack like he's only doing WWE films.

Hollywood knows he puts butts in the seats and IMO he earned it.
    I think its purely because he was a wrestler, and despite numerous reviews complimenting his acting ability it seems he still gets lumped in the camp of Athletes that can't and shouldn't act.

It should be telling that one of the major complaints with this film from the test audiences and focus groups was that there was not enough of the Rock and Tatum on screen, if the Rock could not act I guarantee you the complaints would be too much Rock and he is not good lol
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

The Rock is not a guaranteed draw for the box office outside of franchises that he joins, movies he isn't the lead in, or children's movies. The Rundown, Doom, Walking Tall, & Faster were not box office hits at all.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I think its purely because he was a wrestler, and despite numerous reviews complimenting his acting ability it seems he still gets lumped in the camp of Athletes that can't and shouldn't act.
    Personally, I'm indifferent to The Rock. I'd never see a movie for him but he wouldn't stop me from seeing one either. As for his acting, he's good for an athlete(I haven't seen any critics say much more than that either outside of finding him charismatic as well). My big issue is that G.I. Joe 2 has become, based on the trailers, "The Rock & Friends" rather than the team it was in the first movie.

It should be telling that one of the major complaints with this film from the test audiences and focus groups was that there was not enough of the Rock and Tatum on screen, if the Rock could not act I guarantee you the complaints would be too much Rock and he is not good lol
    I love how you use that as an example for why The Rock is talented even though you don't feel the same about Channing Tatum(at least you didn't used to based on your prior posts).
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; June 6, 2012 at 02:55am.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

What a shame that this movie got delayed for like an entire year. Channing Tatum was never a really convincing Duke to begin with. But I'm willing to give him one more chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    The Rock is not a guaranteed draw for the box office outside of franchises that he joins, movies he isn't the lead in, or children's movies. The Rundown, Doom, Walking Tall, & Faster were not box office hits at all.
    Argue all you want, but the studios would NOT hire him if he didn't bring in money. That's the end of it.

The rundown opened at #1
    Doom opened at #1
    Walking tall at #2
    Faster at #7

So out of ALL the movies he's been in you cite 4 failures but three of them charted high in their openings and only ONE was based on a franchise (which was long dead) biggest reason they didn't have legs was either the script, or the genre, biggest reason they opened big was he star. for many The Rundown was the perfect action movie, but it came when that genre had no heat behind it anymore. Doom was criticized as a bad story, but Rock was highlighted as the only thing worth watching in it. Walking Tall and Faster were R rated revenge movies, they generally don't do huge numbers either. I was looking fwd to faster but it was disappointing, I wanted to see Rock kick ass, not shoot guns

If he was box office poison, he wouldn't get starring roles.

Anyway I don't know why I'm defending him, he doesn't need me to.
    Last edited by krosfyah; June 6, 2012 at 08:33am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Argue all you want, but the studios would NOT hire him if he didn't bring in money. That's the end of it.
    They hire Channing Tatum as well but he's only had 2 hits(neither of which he was a solo star in).

So out of ALL the movies he's been in you cite 4 failures but three of them charted high in their openings and only ONE was based on a franchise (which was long dead) biggest reason they didn't have legs was either the script, or the genre, biggest reason they opened big was he star.
    He's been in 20 theatrical movies and starred in around half of those. If half of those are considered failures, that's not a good track record.

for many The Rundown was the perfect action movie, but it came when that genre had no heat behind it anymore.
    I haven't heard that from anyone but even if it's true, many find Battlefield Earth the perfect sci-fi movie. An unpopular genre is not an excuse. Some movie has to break that trend.

Doom was criticized as a bad story, but Rock was highlighted as the only thing worth watching in it.
    Transformers was criticized as having a bad story by many critics but spawned 2 huge hit sequels.

Walking Tall and Faster were R rated revenge movies, they generally don't do huge numbers either. I was looking fwd to faster but it was disappointing, I wanted to see Rock kick ass, not shoot guns
    Only Faster was R-rated.

If he was box office poison, he wouldn't get starring roles.
    Tell that to Jennifer Aniston.

Anyway I don't know why I'm defending him, he doesn't need me to.
    I don't know why either. I don't think he's the star you do, but am still unbiased enough to say I enjoyed Walking Tall, Faster, and even Journey 2. I just don't feel that's enough reason to give him G.I. Joe 2(especially when Bruce Willis is in it as well).

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I don't think he's the star you do, but am still unbiased enough to say I enjoyed Walking Tall, Faster, and even Journey 2. I just don't feel that's enough reason to give him G.I. Joe 2(especially when Bruce Willis is in it as well).
    You don't smell what The Rock is cooking?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    You don't smell what The Rock is cooking?
    Apparently he does not

He can think the Rock is not a box office draw, but he is not the one issuing the paychecks. Its like trying to argue Eddie Murphy is not a draw but yet for 20 years he keeps getting paid despite a lot of the movies being subpar

For some reason the merchandising effect seems to be overlooked, Rock sells a lot of merchandise (shirts, posters, toys) and that is just as powerful as the box office which due to the way the split goes Hasbro is not going to see as much of as they would a toy or a shirt they license

- - - Updated - - -

Tell that to Jennifer Aniston.
    Horrible Bosses, Just Go With It, The Break Up, and Bruce Almighty would beg to differ. You can bomb in Hollywood but as long as you have a good movie every few years you keep getting paid
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Apparently he does not

He can think the Rock is not a box office draw, but he is not the one issuing the paychecks. Its like trying to argue Eddie Murphy is not a draw but yet for 20 years he keeps getting paid despite a lot of the movies being subpar
    Eddie Murphy was a huge star for a long time much like Sylvester Stallone, John Travolta, & Bruce Willis. The Rock hasn't earned the right to have a string of bombs like those actors.

For some reason the merchandising effect seems to be overlooked, Rock sells a lot of merchandise (shirts, posters, toys) and that is just as powerful as the box office which due to the way the split goes Hasbro is not going to see as much of as they would a toy or a shirt they license
    I never said The Rock wasn't a popular wrestler or sold merchandise. That doesn't make him box office gold. Superman & The Hulk sell a lot of merchandise but neither of their last movies were considered "hits".

Horrible Bosses, Just Go With It, The Break Up, and Bruce Almighty would beg to differ. You can bomb in Hollywood but as long as you have a good movie every few years you keep getting paid
    She wasn't the star of Horrible Bosses(ensemble with her being the fourth lead at best based on screen time), Just Go With It(Adam Sandler movie), or Bruce Almighty(Jim Carrey movie). I'll give you The Break Up but I feel that had just as much to do with Vince Vaughn who was just coming off the huge hit Wedding Crashers. Just because someone is well known or popular on TV, they aren't automatically movie superstars. I can "prove" that Rob Schneider is box office gold based on hit movies he appeared in but wasn't the lead of.

I'm retiring my Rock talk since I have really taken this thread off topic(athough I guess there won't be much to talk about in it anyways for several months). I didn't mean to offend those of you who seem to really love the guy. I just don't think building the sequel of G.I. Joe around him was a foolproof idea. I'd have felt the same if they did that with Bruce Willis even though I feel he's still just as strong a box office draw in his 50's as The Rock is.

JOIN THE GROUP...

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I would rather they just made another Resolute movie and scrap Retaliation in its entirety. If they did not realize it was garbage until after Battleship flopped, then there is a serious problem with both Hasbro and Paramount.

Anyway, I made this comic after getting the CC toy.

Cobra Commander in Training Part 1:

Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I'll be honest and say I've been losing interest in this brand for over a year now, starting from the poor distribution issues, to Hasbro not caring about the brand at all, and now I'm just sick to death of how Joe fans act. They won't just admit that Hasbro is mis-managing this brand, perhaps on purpose because I just can't believe the company is just doing this on accident. They don't care enough to push it as anything but secondary. I haven't bought a retail Joe toy in well over a year, and now thanks to the blow-out with Joecustoms, I'm not going to. I'm getting rid of the few Joe figures I still have and not looking back. I don't care if the movie's delayed, I don't even care why it was delayed anymore. It's not my concern. if the average person wants to believe Hasbro cares, that's fine, doesn't mean I will, because they act like they don't care. Dollar General figures? Not going to waste money on them. I just find the attitude of Joe fans to be a bit annoying, they seem to close their eyes to Hasbro's stupidity and believe whatever Hasbro tells them. That's not getting into Hasbro being so apathetic that they farmed out the 12" line to Sideshow instead of doing it on their own.

For all the bad things people say of Mattel, I believe Hasbro is just a worse company. They don't even treat their fans like dirt because that would mean acknowledging their fans exist(oh sure, we exist when they want to sell subscriptions to that goofy club and sell overpriced repaint "exclusives", but otherwise...). I'm not even buying vintage toys because I see the brand as a whole as just a waste of money now that I'm fed up with. I mean, I recall hating it as a kid- I hated the cartoon, I knew 2 armies shooting at each other and no one getting hit was dumb, and I even hated the toys. I'm not even totally sure why I started buying 25th- well, I do... $3 figures at Family Dollar. That should have been my first sign the line was in trouble. I'm sick of the Joe fandom, but also sick of the brand itself.

I don't even see G.I. Joe having a retail presence within 5 years because it's just going to die off. Stores barely want it now and will probably just begin to turn it down totally in the next 2 years. No doubt the line will go to the collector club, for people willing to pay $20 apiece, but that's it, and they'll have limited buyers because right now most are laughing at the $10 apiece price tags.
    I would sooner gouge my eyes out with a heated spoon than watch Jem. I consider it to be a terrible cartoon. There. I said it.

I was thinking about getting some of them today and saw the price was now $9.99 for a single figure...

That is the final nail in the coffin, I had to struggle with myself to pay $8.96 for a Clone Wars figure and I am infinitely more interested in that line currently.

I understand the economy is bad and production prices go up but wow $10 for a 3.75" action figure is a bit much

I was thinking about getting some of them today and saw the price was now $9.99 for a single figure...

That is the final nail in the coffin, I had to struggle with myself to pay $8.96 for a Clone Wars figure and I am infinitely more interested in that line currently.

I understand the economy is bad and production prices go up but wow $10 for a 3.75" action figure is a bit much
    Oddly enough when I went in Tuesday (I have been picking up a few Star Wars figures for characters I like despite not being my size), they had a full section of Retaliation stuff, I went in today and there were only a few figures left.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Oddly enough when I went in Tuesday (I have been picking up a few Star Wars figures for characters I like despite not being my size), they had a full section of Retaliation stuff, I went in today and there were only a few figures left.
    Makes you wonder if its fans buying them or people who realize the line is going to die quickly with no movie and so they are just saving them.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out

Makes you wonder if its fans buying them or people who realize the line is going to die quickly with no movie and so they are just saving them.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out
    Yeah I was curious about the same thing, I have seen our Joe section sit for a while with nothing being bought then all of the sudden go back a few days later and it's wipe clean. I almost bought the zombie Joe cause I thought it was a cool idea, looked at the three we had for a good three weeks then two days later nothing. And nothing had been really put out till the retaliation stuff, except a small refill of a single case.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I'm pretty much done, I think. I've been phasing out for a while, and plan to sell off all of my post ARAH-Joes except for a few movie and 25th figs, and just keep the vintage line on display in one of those Detolf cases. I will probably pick up Flint, Lady Jaye, Colton and Jinx (and a CC in black) when the toys actually get released, simply because I'm a sucker for movie figs, but I don't feel a need to buy any more Joes beyond what I have.

I have a lot of fondness for the classic comic/toon/line, but that hasn't really translated to the later incarnations. (Actually, I have a good deal of buyer's remorse on a lot of that stuff I compulsively bought!) With prices what they are, that'd seal the deal even if I wasn't already walking away.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Honestly, the $10 price is a rip-off, but that isn't my problem with the line. In fact, I had to pick some of the guys up I was looking for earlier this year at Walgreens for $11.50. The problem is the loss of articulation and figure stands. The double jointed knees are gone, as is the ankle articulation.

Anyway, so here is Cobra Commander in Training Part 2:

Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Cobra Commander's snake staff I kind of like. But for the movie line?

What am I talking about movie lines are known for having bizarre variants and weapons that are never used or would be physically impossible to use.

Retail has been selling 3.75 figures for $15 in Australia for the last couple of years. I think it is part of the reason they have lost their presence in the toy aisles.

If the Retaliation figures are selling for $10 there then they would be close to $20 here. However, the Retaliation figures are not coming to Australia.

If 3.75 figures are nearly $20 then it doesn't make MOTUC look bad at the same cost. Even if they were to go up to $30 they are still better value for money.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Retail has been selling 3.75 figures for $15 in Australia for the last couple of years. I think it is part of the reason they have lost their presence in the toy aisles.

If the Retaliation figures are selling for $10 there then they would be close to $20 here. However, the Retaliation figures are not coming to Australia.

If 3.75 figures are nearly $20 then it doesn't make MOTUC look bad at the same cost. Even if they were to go up to $30 they are still better value for money.
    I was about to post a similar thing to this ya beat me to it. Long story short we pay big for toys here esp action figures. For example though not a 'action fig' a MLP is about $9-10 per pony. Sometimes you get lucky with buy one get one 50% off or a two pack for 10 bucks depends on the shop.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Reshoot time...

Rock's twitter:
    On set w/ my boys Mr ‪#MagicMike‬ himself @ChanningTatum & @jonmchu. And a pink ball.."

The law says look, but don't touch. But I see many law breakers on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I wouldn't waste my time that's like me crying & moaning about Twilight (Which I can't stand) but I don't drop my opinion every place I go...damn!
    So you would rather everyone only talk about the things they like?

I'll see this movie. The Rock isn't the best actor of all time but IMO he's worlds better than Tattum.

I'm hoping for a good Joe movie my kids will like as well.

BTW, other than the Channum actin, I liked the first Joe movie.