Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: G. I. Joe Retaliation

I liked the over the top ridiculousness of ROC much better than Retaliation.
    The Blind Master really irritated me. Every time he talked and gave is recap of what was going on, it felt like an episode of Days of Our Lives. Yes.
    Flint needed another shirtless scene. I loved his parkour fighting was awesome.
    They needed to explain why Joe was "Joe"
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    My wife said the same thing

I loved the movie though, it was much better than the first one and more in line withe what I expect a GI Joe movie to be about. They had to clean up the huge stinker that Rise of Cobra was, because of that the narrative was not as great as it could have been I think. COBRA was at least threatening in this one and seemed like a group you would be intimidated by, not the mess it was in ROC where we spent more time starring at Baroness then caring about what COBRA was up to.

Channing Tatum was actually good, or at least tolerable in this. I was sad to see him go which was totally NOT the case after the first one

Then you have way too high expectations and just like your feelings on many toys you are going to be greatly disappointed a lot I think
    I agree. I liked this movie a lot. and as i said elsewhere when i got home ROC was on TV it feels like a 1900s made for tv pilot movie.
    I'm not a big joe fan but this was a fun movie. I'm happy i saw it. but do we REALLY need THEE threads covering opinions on this movie?? we have TWO in the he-man movie forum and this one. Maybe more!!
    Last edited by krosfyah; March 31, 2013 at 06:02pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I enjoyed this movie for what it was. This is the first of Hasbro's toy movies that actually got me interested enough in actually seeing it. I had no interest in the Transformers movies, Rise of Cobra or Battleship, but Retaliation seemed good enough to spend $12 and a couple of hours at the theater.

Could it have been better?

Sure.

But I enjoyed this for what it was, though my favorite Joe movie is still the animated movie. Cobra-La is still my favorite part of the JoeVerse to this day.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by illicitjedi View Post
    I liked the over the top ridiculousness of ROC much better than Retaliation.
    The Blind Master really irritated me. Every time he talked and gave is recap of what was going on, it felt like an episode of Days of Our Lives.
    RZA (or whatever his name is) is an abominable actor. Every time he talked I truly cringed. Horrible. I hate stunt casting like that. It should never be done. Thank god he wasn't in it much.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    RZA (or whatever his name is) is an abominable actor. Every time he talked I truly cringed. Horrible. I hate stunt casting like that. It should never be done. Thank god he wasn't in it much.
    he is ok in bit comedy parts where he is essentially being himself, but yeah he is terrible otherwise.

funnily his parts felt the most like the first movie than anything else.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Let's look at how Joe fans are seeing this...

G.I. Joe Retailiation is #1, dethroning The Croods and beating Tyler Perry's newest flick. A sequel has been supposedly greenlit, which means more toys and possibly cartoons and media. The movie has already made it's money back.
    Jon Chu is a hero on the Joe boards. He helped saved the brand from the bad mess that ROC made of it.
    G.I. Joe is BACK!!

And this guy is directing MOTU?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Honestly, they should have changed the Blind Master's name to The Exposition Master.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    And this guy is directing MOTU?
    Unfortunately.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I just saw this last night and as others have said--I felt this was more in line with what Gi-Joe really is (FINALLY Cobra Commander was recognizable ). The only thing that was awful about the movie was the total absurdity of the scene where

Zartan called the bluff of the world leaders to make them all shoot their nuclear missles off--sorry, but the scene looked liked a bad reenactment of a high school debate team emo melt-down

otherwise than that--good movie--DEFINITELY better than the first I mean, compared to better movies--it's kindof weak,but at least it seemed better than the first Joe movie.
    Last edited by He-Kal; March 31, 2013 at 08:29pm.

That seems to be the measuring stick. It's a good movie compared to the first, but not compared to a good movie.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    the ranks always confused me, though not being a military man myself I have little knowledge on such things. I'm not sure how the movie handles it but other media halfway explained it away in that GI Joe recruits from military branches, but is not a military branch itself so someone's army rank is not a reflection of their position in the organization (which is an anti-terrorist group) Of course if that's the case why bother mentioning the military ranks at all?
    You are correct in that G.I. Joe recruits from all branches of the military, that's why we had Marines like Leatherneck and Gung Ho, Navy personnel like Shipwreck and Wet-Suit, and Air Force like Ace and Slip Stream. These recruits for Joe are all seasoned military personnel as well. And quite forward in women's rights considering that Lady Jaye is apparently Ranger qualified, when in reality no one woman has ever completed the course, yet.

As for Megalodon's comment
    See comparing real life to a movie of a cartoon/comic book character
    , why not? The creator of G.I. Joe, Larry Hama went to great lengths make each character believeable in his or her backstory, giving them specific identities, branches of service, and even the places they trained, which are all actual or former military posts, i.e. Lady Jaye's training in counter-intelligence at Fort Holabird, MA (The US Army Intelligence School was moved to Fort Huachuca in 1971 a couple years before it closed in 1973.)

One of the best things about the television show Stargate SG-1 was the fact that despite it was all fictional stories, they had military advisors on hand to make sure everything was correct in their portrayal of military, the Air Force, particular. If a televison show on a limited budget could do this, I should think a multi-million dollar production like Retaliation shouldn't have had a problem.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

As much I did not like Retaliation, I'm glad that made money at the box office and seems that a 3rd movie has been green lighted; cause in that case there's always the possibility to correct or enhance prior franchise installments, as it has happen with Batman, Fast & the Furious and hopefully with the upcoming Man of Steel.

If a third Joe movie shall be on the works, I'd like to see some of the following: Shipwreck, Bazooka, Beach Head, Low Light, Mainframe, ShockWave (I know it is not possible), Tunnel Rat, OutBack & Falcon. Also, bring back Scarlett
    Now, for Cobra's: Tomax & Xamot, Zarana & the Dreadnocks and some specialized Cobra forces such as Eels or Snow Serpent.

Actually, having Duke & Baroness's void, bringing Zarana & Mainframe may provide the love story angle. Falcon could be brought with a revenge agenda in the same way as Zarana.

Also, since both movie franchises belongs to Hasbro & produced by DiBonaventura, wouldn't be awesome if there's a scene in which Optimus Prime as a truck may appear as a cameo on the movie?
    Last edited by Rhanen; April 1, 2013 at 11:58am.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

I haven't seen this one yet but after reading posts from those who have seen it my expectations are getting pretty high. I loved the first movie and if this is better than that, then it'll be pretty awesome. Though it might not turn out that way; I loved the first one because it was so bad it was good. If the second one actually is good but not good, it might fall on the "meh"-area.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Just saying, Destro is a must for the third film. Also, more Cobra Commander! He was good in Retaliation, but severely underused. Actually, all the bad guys were.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I haven't seen this one yet but after reading posts from those who have seen it my expectations are getting pretty high. I loved the first movie and if this is better than that, then it'll be pretty awesome. Though it might not turn out that way; I loved the first one because it was so bad it was good. If the second one actually is good but not good, it might fall on the "meh"-area.
    Personally I liked the 1st one better, while I hate that everyone is related and the robot suits from ROC it just feels like its on a grander scale. This movie with the exception of the "hunting of Storm Shadow" and the beginning felt like the "story" took place all on the same block. It doesn't feel like GI Joe to me at all? And they've already greenlit the next one, somebody needs to get GI Joe Resolute into the script writers hands and let them know this is what GI Joe is.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Just saying, Destro is a must for the third film.
    And Baroness!

I was hoping she would make an appearance or at least get a mention in Retaliation.

I would love for Sienna Miller to return with an Eastern European accent and reveal that Ana Lewis, who is being detained by the U.S. government on the U.S.S. Flagg, is actually her sister Chameleon.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    As for Megalodon's comment

, why not? The creator of G.I. Joe, Larry Hama went to great lengths make each character believeable in his or her backstory, giving them specific identities, branches of service, and even the places they trained, which are all actual or former military posts, i.e. Lady Jaye's training in counter-intelligence at Fort Holabird, MA (The US Army Intelligence School was moved to Fort Huachuca in 1971 a couple years before it closed in 1973.)
    Well I've had family members in all of the armed forces and my dad who was a navy man remembers the comics and the cartoon when I was younger and he saw the last film and he said as much realism needs to be in certain movies etc. they are going for the big bang and their's nothing wrong with that it's a fun movie and it doesn't have to be PC

And am I the only one to notice that:

They are finally using the USAF A-10 Thunderbolt II as the Cobra Rattlor? It wasn't mentioned in name like the Night Raven was...

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Um, where did you see a Thunderbolt in Retaliation?

This is an A-10, and at no point in that film did I see one.

And this one I took a picture of at Fort Drum while on an FTX in 1999. The coolest sound you'll ever hear from one of these is the 30mm GAU-8 firing, BRRRRRAP!!
    248507-R1-50-15.jpg
    248507-R1-51-14.jpg

I seem to recall it was GI Joe using the Rattler type jets for their insertion into Pakistan, not Cobra.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; April 1, 2013 at 09:16pm.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I would love for Sienna Miller to return with an Eastern European accent and reveal that Ana Lewis, who is being detained by the U.S. government on the U.S.S. Flagg, is actually her sister Chameleon.
    Seinna Miller will definitely NOT return. Not because the first movie was down right dreadful, but most of all, she is not an action person. She said she did not like having to do stunts and stuff like she did in the movie, as she realized that is not the type of movies she can pull off.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

My hope is that the Baroness and Destro will return in a third movie to give the audience some time so that the change in actors is less of an issue.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. Being an ARAH fan as long as I can remember, this felt to me much more like the movie I wanted to see versus ROC. I wrote up a longer review on my site ( http://www.thepicreview.com/2013/04/...taliation.html) but wanted to discuss a couple of points here, too:

While some MOTU fans seem nervous about Chu's involvement, I can say that not only does the guy seem to truly familiarize himself (or already be familiar) with the properties he is working with, he also has really been pretty open with fan interactions. He's been actively involved on quite a few fansite podcasts, putting himself out there for the fans. I don't recall many directors of major blockbusters doing that!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    While some MOTU fans seem nervous about Chu's involvement, I can say that not only does the guy seem to truly familiarize himself (or already be familiar) with the properties he is working with, he also has really been pretty open with fan interactions. He's been actively involved on quite a few fansite podcasts, putting himself out there for the fans. I don't recall many directors of major blockbusters doing that!
    Regardless of reaction to the movies themselves, I'd rather have a guy like Chu at the helm as opposed to someone like Michael Bay. (Just in terms of directors of adaptations of '80s toy properties. )
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Regardless of reaction to the movies themselves, I'd rather have a guy like Chu at the helm as opposed to someone like Michael Bay. (Just in terms of directors of adaptations of '80s toy properties. )
    yep, this movie wasn't about some kid who befriends the Joe's and saves the day.

Fear is faith in failure

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I thought the first movie was better overall, but I really enjoyed this one too. Nice to see Cobra Commander looking like Cobra Commander.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    That seems to be the measuring stick. It's a good movie compared to the first, but not compared to a good movie.
    I agree with this. You can hope that these toy based movies would be as good as the Avengers or Dark Knight, but better than the first is atleast progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I don't think the costume designers and such are lazy, but the issue is that they aren't comic or toy geeks who are held to making direct live-action versions of the toys. They make movies for the casual movie-goer. Imagine casual movie-goers seeing Bazooka or Quick Kick in this movie if the movie had used their action figure appearances? Laziness wouldn't be creating an all new look from scratch. Hollywood thinks too hard about the source material like a casual fan would (such as why would transforming robots need spaceships), whereas a hardcore fan accepts the material without question.

If some fans had their way, we would see Transformers-More Than Meets the Eye parts 1, 2 and 3 in live action or The Diamond Ray of Disappearance.

Judging from HISStank.com, G.I. Joe fans seem really happy about this movie. Mainly because it's more of a G.I. Joe movie than the last one.
    the designers brought their A game. unfortunately, the writer and director did not. and i certainly hope you don't count me among those that just wants a live action transliteration of the cartoons- because that is the exact opposite of my desire for properties like g.i. joe, or MOTU.

i mean, i love the cartoons of those properties, like i love the adam west batman series- but i wouldn't want any of those in live action. my desire is for the big budget live action takes on these properties to reduce camp to an absolute minimum.

in fact, i think retaliation was lazy because it was too much like the cartoon. it made little effort to elevate itself above the source material.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Well anyone that hated the movie is just going to have to deal with it because it was a smashing success overseas and combined with the fact its doing well in the US means you can almost guarantee a 3rd movie helmed by the same people

Quote Originally Posted by Boxofficemojo
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation opened significantly higher than its predecessor at the overseas box office this weekend.

The action sequel grossed an estimated $80.3 million from around 75 percent of the international marketplace, which is the top opening of the year so far. It took first place in Russia ($8.8 million), South Korea ($6.2 million), Mexico ($5.8 million), Germany ($4.3 million), Australia ($3.9 million) and France ($3.2 million).

According to Paramount, this debut is nearly double the first movie's opening haul across similar markets. It's also around 25 percent ahead of A Good Day to Die Hard and Wrath of the Titans. Using these comparisons, G.I. Joe: Retaliation should be on its way to between $250 and $300 million overseas, which is way up from the first movie's $152.3 million.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback