Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: G. I. Joe Retaliation

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Anyone been finding any of the toys yet? I've got some review videos of many of the Wave 1 figures:

Roadblock:

Cobra Commander:

Zartan:

Storm Shadow:

Snake Eyes:

So far it seems this first wave isn't very movie accurate, and of course they are all packed with gimmicky, gigantic weapons. But even still, figures like Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Cobra Commander are pretty good.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Cobra Commander looks pretty bad ass, I like Roadblock except the Rock is bigger so the figure makes him look to thin. Thanks Dan!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Die hard Joe fan here, and the only figure I'm interested in so far is the G.I. Trooper. Haven't seen these anywhere, however.

These just seem like such a step down from anything from the last few years. While Pursuit of Cobra, Renegades, and the 30th anniversary figures were the highlights of the modern Joe line, the Rise of Cobra figures were very good. These just remind me of the early 90's joes with neon paintjobs and neon colored weapons that favored gimmicks over anything else.

I'm pumped about Retaliation, but these figures really don't do anything for me. I'm wanting to see them in stores- hopefully later waves will be better.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Dear Toy Stores, Please continue to stock G.I. Joe: Retaliation toys for an additional NINE MONTHS until the film comes out. Love, HASBRO

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/g-i-...medium=twitter

‘G.I. Joe: Retaliation’ Moving To March 2013 To Add 3D For Bigger Foreign Box Office

By NIKKI FINKE

EXCLUSIVE: The sequel G.I. Joe: Retaliation was supposed to come out this summer on June 29th. But I’ve learned that Paramount is moving the movie nine months to March 29, 2013, to add 3D. “We’re going to do a conscientious 3D job because we’ve seen how it can better box office internationally,” one of the studio execs just told me. “Jim Cameron did all of Titanic‘s 3D in post – and look how well that movie turned out.” Paramount has had luck delaying films before: its decision to move Martin Scorsese’s Shutter Island gave the director his biggest box office hit ever. And right now, 3D is huge internationally, with Russia and China building new 3D theaters by the week. Also the execs say that the blockbuster performance of The Hunger Games shows that March can be a prime time of the year to release movies. Of course, Paramount had to talk its partners on GI Joe 2 into the extra nine months of carrying costs – MGM/Spyglass which has 25%, and David Ellison’s Skydance which has another 25%. The $125M-budgeted actioner stars Channing Tatum, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, and Bruce Willis and is directed by John Chu.

Uh-Oh Joe! Hear That? That's The Death Knell For All You GI Joe Fans...

God, hope a He-Man reboot fares better than this...

http://badassdigest.com/2012/05/23/u...-back-to-2013/

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Holy crap! All of that promotion...and they promoted the HELL out of this movie. The Rock must be furious! And Adrienne Palicki just posed for Maxim too...
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; May 23, 2012 at 06:54pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

how is that a death knell?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Holy crap! All of that promotion...and they promoted the HELL out of this movie. The Rock must be furious!
    dear rock,

can you be in next year's WM main event?

thanks,

hasbro

That is no small decision for the studio to make. Wow.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    how is that a death knell?
    From reading the article, I guess the writer thought the movie was so bad that Paramount decided to push it back. For G.I. Joe, it means a years' worth of momentum lost. No movie and no cartoon. Hasbro canceled Renegades to focus on this new movie... Nothing is out there except the Collector's Club figures and the IDW comics.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    dear rock,

can you be in next year's WM main event?

thanks,

hasbro
    LOL! I mentioned the Rock because he's been promoting this movie like crazy through interviews, videos, facebook and tweets. I see a new promotion video almost every month. Paramount pulled the rug out from under him.

I wonder if it got bad reaction with test audiences?

Either that or they're terrified of a John Carter or Battleship box office opening.

Luck is for losers GK Version 1's Avatar
    I'm thinking they are paranoid of a Battle Ship like failure. I hate to judge a movie off of the trailer, but this one looked pretty fantastic. So much better than the last.

I'm not a fan of the decision. This late in the game, you just need to release it warts and all. They've spent way too much on marketing to do this now. It had great buzz among the fanbase, even if reviewers ended up being unkind to it, I don't think that would have affected it too much. A delay definitely looks bad in the public's eyes. I think this will hurt it more than help it.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    do we still get the figures now? I want my Jinx figures!!!!
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Well, with the line up this summer I can't blame them. When you have a movie like Avengers drawing sales away from movies like BattleShip and Dark Shadows for this many weeks, they had to have known that they weren't going to be able to cut it. The first movie, while I enjoyed it, was trashed by critics and a lot of die hard Joe fans so I'm sure they had to take that into consideration. Or maybe two Channing Tatum movies was two much for the same day. I mean most of his fans are female and they'd probably rather see him as a stripper..........

If the movie wasn't going to bomb, you can bet your pants it will after Paramount pulled this stunt. I have to say I am passing on wave one; unless wave 2 gets here, my money will be reserved for Joecon & SDCC purchases in the G I Joe area. Something tells me wave 2 was just canceled. IF you haven't picked up the dollar general figures, you may want to do so now; because what is out there at those stores is ALL that will be released at Dollar General, no re-orders or re-stocks are scheduled.

Email I just received from GIJCC:
    G.I. JOE: RETALIATION FILM TO BE RELEASED IN 3D
    Hasbro Reaffirms 2012 Guidance that it Expects to Grow Revenues and Earnings Per Share Absent the Impact of Foreign Exchange
    PAWTUCKET, R.I., MAY 23, 2012—Hasbro, Inc (NASDAQ:HAS), and Paramount Pictures, announced today that G.I. JOE: RETALIATION will now be released in 3D. The film, originally slated for release in June 2012, is scheduled to be released March 29, 2013.
    “It is increasingly evident that 3D resonates with movie-goers globally and together with Paramount, we made the decision to bring fans an even more immersive entertainment experience,” said Brian Goldner, Hasbro’s President and CEO.
    “In 2012, we continue to have several strong motion picture and television entertainment backed properties that are selling well at retail and our entertainment strategy remains strong and on-track,” Goldner said. “Through our own Hasbro Studios for television and in partnership with several movie studios including Paramount, Universal, Sony and Relativity, we are creating entertainment experiences around many of our highly popular iconic brands.
    For the full year 2012, we continue to believe, absent the impact of foreign exchange, we will again grow revenues and earnings per share.”

Looks like those SDCC and Club figures became more popular!
    Last edited by Southzen; May 23, 2012 at 07:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Well, with the line up this summer I can't blame them. When you have a movie like Avengers drawing sales away from movies like BattleShip and Dark Shadows for this many weeks, they had to have known that they weren't going to be able to cut it. The first movie, while I enjoyed it, was trashed by critics and a lot of die hard Joe fans so I'm sure they had to take that into consideration. Or maybe two Channing Tatum movies was two much for the same day. I mean most of his fans are female and they'd probably rather see him as a stripper..........
    He was a male stripper before he became an actor. He's actually got a movie coming about with him as a male stripper...

Man, those are terrible news. Even worse if it shall be released on early spring, it won't make zillions of money.
    Studios seem to target medium budget action movies in spring now waiting to have a "Fast & Furious" or "Hunger Games" success but they can easily end up as "John Carter", "Wrath of Titans" o "Mars need Moms". March releases are nothing like a safe bet.

Gosh, I wished to have a new G.I.Joe cartoon series after Retaliation. Recently I re-watched Resolute and I love that series.
    My desires for a great new cartoon reboot series now relies in MOTU, Galaxy Rangers, Silver Hawks or a good non CGI animated Transformers.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    He was a male stripper before he became an actor. He's actually got a movie coming about with him as a male stripper...
    I know....and it's scheduled to come out the SAME DAY as GI Joe was hence my comment

They're scared of the Avengers. Let's do a head count. Loki's brother, Thor. A super soldier, living legend who kinda lives up to the legend. A man with breathtaking anger management issues. A couple of master assassins all worth a billion dollars in the box office and GI Joe with two possible bad movies in a row, could manage to **** off every single member of the Hiss Tank forever.

There is no version of this where GI Joe wins.
    Last edited by SCB; May 23, 2012 at 08:02pm.

I'm going to guess it's a combination of A: Being in a summer where it would compete with Avengers, Dark Knight Rises and other super-hyped movies and B: Battleship bombing really badly at the box office.

Also, I have no idea why an adaption failing would mean the "death knell" for a franchise? In that case, MOTU died when the movie bombed in 1986.

Maybe, they got scared off by Battleship's poor performance and thought the competition would be less stiff in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I'm going to guess it's a combination of A: Being in a summer where it would compete with Avengers, Dark Knight Rises and other super-hyped movies and B: Battleship bombing really badly at the box office.

Also, I have no idea why an adaption failing would mean the "death knell" for a franchise? In that case, MOTU died when the movie bombed in 1986.
    The toys did......then NA put the nail in the coffin....

In that case, MOTU died when the movie bombed in 1986.
    Is that really that far from the truth? When's the last time anyone recommended that movie to a non-fan?

I guess I should have put "GI Joe Live Action Movie Franchise" somewhere in that death knell title... LOL.