Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (12/15/2011)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    But she isn't Filmation Lyn. She's in 200X colors, but has the wrong costume.

Instead of doing BGEL in Filmation colors, that's TWO more Evil-Lyn variants that take up slots from other characters (Filmation AND 200X Evil-Lyns) to get this all right.
    See I don't know what you guys are talking about.

This may not be a Filmation replica, but when most of us want "Filmation" versions we are not being that ultra-specific. We simply mean, that they look like they did on the show. Which Evil-Lyn has never done. Most of us aren't asking for exact replicas, or "dumbed down" sculpting like those who dislike Filmation like to pretend. She looks pretty darn close to me - and I love her. I've been waiting 30 years for this. This is Evil-Lyn, not some figure who looks like someone broke open a fluorescent yellow marker and dumped it all over her.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Congrats, I'm happy for you. I, however, expect more than what is essentially a repaint for the fourth time when I'm shelling out $30 for these figures; more in my case since I have multiple subs. Particularly since we were promised that when the quarterly variants were put into the sub they'd have full tooling budgets.
    Well, they also said only obscure characters would be sub exclusives. We saw how that ended up. Not that I excuse the fact, but it's true and we know it.

Did you complain similarly about Hordak? That he just has a new piece of armor slapped on him, and some really cheap looking plastic things to stick in the arm hole?

I guess this is why I don't post here much, because so many people seem so singularly focused on "200x, 200x". A toyline that was already made. It's a great show, though I don't care for the figures really. I see them cheap on eBay all the time and I never bite. A toyline that they specifically have said they will NOT remake.

But...I know, I'm not going to change anyone's mind. But I am going to post how pleased I am with this figure, because if you read these posts it sounds like she's just the most awful thing ever. It's not true, and it's not what I think the majority of fans would think.

Mark my word, we will start to see people come into this line after being exposed to this character. Just like I saw Adora on eBay, thought she was a custom, then discovered this line - people will see Evil-Lyn and be drawn in just the same.

In the bubble of "MOTU fandom", people tend to forget what MOTU is to the rest of the world. Most people don't know what the heck Pre-eternia is, or any of that stuff before or after. It means the He-man and She-ra shows they watched as children. And oh yeah, they had toys. Everyone who was a kid in the 80's knows and probably watched these shows at one point or another. THESE are the figures that bring those people to the line. Not 200x variants, or characters from some obscure comic book. Millions and millions of kids watched these shows (and, at one time, She-ra even had better ratings than He-man). There are many of them who silently buy and don't post at MC, or come to He-man.org.

I guess my point is - this figure is far from the failure some make it out to be. If it's not your personal cup of tea, fine. But it could be the smartest figure they have made since Adora - and add Shadow Weaver, and you are going to see interest grow in this line. That benefits us ALL.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Filmation Evil-Lyn is yellow, like the original toy...just...not nearly as yellow.

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Filmation Evil-Lyn is yellow, like the original toy...just...not nearly as yellow.

http://www.rubberslug.com/user/1880f...o-helmet-2.jpg

http://www.poeghostal.com/wp-content...-lyn-motuc.jpg
    Uh...I don't know if that's a doctored shot or an animation error, but that is not what Evil-Lyn looked like on the show. See my pic above, or pop in a DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Uh...I don't know if that's a doctored shot or an animation error, but that is not what Evil-Lyn looked like on the show. See my pic above, or pop in a DVD.
    That's an animation cel from the Filmation series. That's the true colouring.

Here's another cel and line art (colours look like they might have darkened):

EDIT: This one is better:

Last edited by Darkspecter; December 17, 2011 at 01:10am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Heroic Warrior
    Then they are animation errors then. Or doctored.

Here is what I see when I google Evil-Lyn images:

I wish I could find the Evil-Lyn model image. If I could find it, it shows the exact colours because every artist at Filmation was to follow it.

Here's the Dree-Elle one, for example:

The TV series can be misleading. One person I spoke to before thought Frosta's hair was white on the cartoon, but it's definitely blue.

I'm not trying to argue or anything, I just wanted you to know that her skin was a shade of yellow.

Did you complain similarly about Hordak? That he just has a new piece of armor slapped on him, and some really cheap looking plastic things to stick in the arm hole?
    I'm not sure what Hordak you're talking about. If you're talking about Hurricane Hordak, then yes. I was not a fan of the vac metal which likes to chip on the classics figures. I know, I have several.

But...I know, I'm not going to change anyone's mind.
    Correct. You can't change my mind.

But I am going to post how pleased I am with this figure
    That's good. You should ignore differing opinions if they bother you or you don't agree with them. I do.

Some have expressed dislike for Classics Leech. He's one of my top three favorites in the line. I haven't let any of the more critical posts on him bother me in the least. I've continued to post my approval of the figure, just as I will continue to express my utter disgust with Purple Teela.

I'm fine with differing opinions as long as they're not personally insulting.

Mark my word, we will start to see people come into this line after being exposed to this character. Just like I saw Adora on eBay, thought she was a custom, then discovered this line - people will see Evil-Lyn and be drawn in just the same.
    It would be better for all of us if that were to happen. The more new fans find and support the line, the longer it goes and the more figures we will get.

Hopefully one day Mattel will make an actual Classics Evil Lyn figure.

I guess my point is - this figure is far from the failure some make it out to be.
    Depending on one's personal opinion, of course.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not trying to argue or anything, I just wanted you to know that her skin was a shade of yellow.
    All I know when I see the show is I see a white woman. When I look at the screenshots, like I posted, I see a white woman. When I see BG Evil-lyn, I see a white woman (very pale, but still white). The other figure is florescent yellow.

I can just go by what my eyes see, not model sheets.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    While I'm by no means an advocate of any reuse of the Teela dress or the 1.0 buck at this point, I think this photoshop recoloring shows that you could have gotten a lot closer to the Filmation Evil-Lyn (than 200X Lyn) with a straight repaint:

The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Met-Hild View Post
    While I'm by no means an advocate of any reuse of the Teela dress or the 1.0 buck at this point, I think this photoshop recoloring shows that you could have gotten a lot closer to the Filmation Evil-Lyn (than 200X Lyn) with a straight repaint:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/...lmationlyn.jpg
    Bang on!

Whatever BGEL is, she isn't accurate to any other version of the chracter - a real hybrid.

I wonder what Mattel are thinking!?

That said, she's an awesome doll, I'm excitied to be getting her & she will replace my toy-accurate EL.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    See I don't know what you guys are talking about.

This may not be a Filmation replica, but when most of us want "Filmation" versions we are not being that ultra-specific. We simply mean, that they look like they did on the show. Which Evil-Lyn has never done. Most of us aren't asking for exact replicas, or "dumbed down" sculpting like those who dislike Filmation like to pretend. She looks pretty darn close to me - and I love her. I've been waiting 30 years for this. This is Evil-Lyn, not some figure who looks like someone broke open a fluorescent yellow marker and dumped it all over her.

Filmation Lyn has blue bracers. Blue Highlights.

Filmation did have it's details "dumbed down" for animation purposes. Look at the original She-Ra figure. She's straight out of Filmation. Now, compare her to Bubble Power She-Ra who has more detail.

Well, they also said only obscure characters would be sub exclusives. We saw how that ended up. Not that I excuse the fact, but it's true and we know it.
    So you know that Mattel CAN change it's mind and things aren't written in stone.

Some people didn't like the dial and vac metal. All that aside, that's the way Hurricane Hordak looked.

This isn't the way 200X Evil-Lyn looked. That's like giving Queen Marlena a green Teela costume. The whole point of asking for that particular variant of Evil-Lyn is because she doesn't look like a Teela repaint. Twice, Toyguru mentioned that she wouldn't be a Teela repaint and what happens? She comes out as a Teela repaint.

Do you understand what we are trying to tell you?

I guess this is why I don't post here much, because so many people seem so singularly focused on "200x, 200x". A toyline that was already made. It's a great show, though I don't care for the figures really. I see them cheap on eBay all the time and I never bite. A toyline that they specifically have said they will NOT remake.
    Actually, Mattel has said that they are waiting to use 200X heads as ways to refresh the characters. Toyguru told us to ask for them last year. The haters aren't going to recognize that quote until it actually happens.

Just like the subs featuring an obscure character, Mattel CAN change it's mind. Especially when the sub numbers might be even lower this year due to the various problems that the fans have been having since August.

But...I know, I'm not going to change anyone's mind. But I am going to post how pleased I am with this figure, because if you read these posts it sounds like she's just the most awful thing ever. It's not true, and it's not what I think the majority of fans would think.
    But those aren't ALL of the posts. You've got positive reviews of Battleground Evil-Lyn too.

In the bubble of "MOTU fandom", people tend to forget what MOTU is to the rest of the world. Most people don't know what the heck Pre-eternia is, or any of that stuff before or after. It means the He-man and She-ra shows they watched as children. And oh yeah, they had toys. Everyone who was a kid in the 80's knows and probably watched these shows at one point or another. THESE are the figures that bring those people to the line. Not 200x variants, or characters from some obscure comic book. Millions and millions of kids watched these shows (and, at one time, She-ra even had better ratings than He-man). There are many of them who silently buy and don't post at MC, or come to He-man.org.

I guess my point is - this figure is far from the failure some make it out to be. If it's not your personal cup of tea, fine. But it could be the smartest figure they have made since Adora - and add Shadow Weaver, and you are going to see interest grow in this line. That benefits us ALL.
    The smartest thing they would have done was to change BGEL to Filmation colors. That way, they don't have to waste a variant slot in the future to do this like they might do now.

Like Adora, She-Ra was another character who was dead-on Filmation accurate. Where are these millions of Filmation fans? Catra? Queen Marlena? Orko? Shadow Weaver was the sub exclusive for 2012 AND they got the Filmation Rights on top of that -- but fans didn't buy subs. Since fans didn't buy subs, she will be the lowest produced figure in the line.

And those were main characters.

As for 200X bringing in fans, there was a new generation of fans who enjoyed those cartoons from almost 10 years ago. There are fans who don't collect MOTUC because they don't like the original vintage looks. Making 200X variants would bring in that crowd, although it's not as big as Filmation. 200X heads would result in many fans buying doubles of the figures.

Then they are animation errors then. Or doctored.

Here is what I see when I google Evil-Lyn images:
    All I know when I see the show is I see a white woman. When I look at the screenshots, like I posted, I see a white woman. When I see BG Evil-lyn, I see a white woman (very pale, but still white). The other figure is florescent yellow.

I can just go by what my eyes see, not model sheets.
    I think you're reaching.

In 200X, Evil-Lyn had gray skin. BGEL has gray skin.
    In Filmation, Evil-Lyn has yellow skin, not as bright as the toy, but it is yellow. Look on your season two, part 2 DVD box set cover.

Other ways we can prove Evil-Lyn has yellow skin and not gray: Val, Emiliano or Busta Toons could tell you since they worked on the DVD sets and researched Filmation thoroughly.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

I could have been fine with an Evil Lyn Filmation repaint reusing the Teela dress since it is so close, but not a 200x Evil Lyn.

I mean the colors don't even match the MYP, 200x staction, or 200x toy versions of Evil Lyn.

It's like they tried to screw up in every conceivable way on BG Evil Lyn: Colors are wrong, reuse the Teela dress, she doesn't match the classics Faceless One, and her hair cut is wrong.

That's how the first release should have been. Vintage toy accuracy isn't always great as those toys aren't exactly flawless. I don't know of anyone who liked the vintage toy's yellow skin so carrying it over into MOTUC was very silly.
    Last edited by kup; December 19, 2011 at 06:31pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I see that Demo-Man is still not sold out.I Think people are starting to grow tired of this line and the BS Mattel,Digital River is pulling.Next year will be the last year for this line.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    That's how the first release should have been. Vintage toy accuracy isn't always great as those toys aren't exactly flawless. I don't know of anyone who liked the vintage toy's yellow skin so carrying it over into MOTUC was very silly.
    I liked the original Evil-Lyn figure and the classic colours staction the Four Horsemen did for NECA. I was very happy they did the classic Evil-Lyn first (to be honest) because it was supposed to allow for the budget to do proper tooling for a 200Xish Evil-Lyn...which it did...it...she just wasn't done.

I wonder if Mattel have any idea of the subtleties involved, that are discussed above?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRondor View Post
    I see that Demo-Man is still not sold out.I Think people are starting to grow tired of this line and the BS Mattel,Digital River is pulling.Next year will be the last year for this line.
    That's 1 out of 3. Battleground Lyn and Wind Raider sold out.

Some people didn't buy Demo-Man because they would have needed to wait until January for their order to ship. Demo-Man will hold your order back.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Yeah considering the $45 item sold out, I'd say they are loving the bs.

Sale day items for non sub holders

So let me see if I get this straight...

Will non sub holders have the chance to buy the motuc items on sale days or not?? (15 day of each month)

Can anyone answer this for sure??

Quote Originally Posted by motuportugal View Post

Will non sub holders have the chance to buy the motuc items on sale days or not?? (15 day of each month)

Yes you can.

WOw you're quick!! Thank's SCB aka Wun-dar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by motuportugal View Post

Yeah, you will have the chance, but nobody knows how much figures will be produced outside the sub.

So the sales could last hours or minutes...TG said, that the no-sub sales won`t be that extreme as in 2010, but you never know...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    I could have been fine with an Evil Lyn Filmation repaint reusing the Teela dress since it is so close, but not a 200x Evil Lyn.

I mean the colors don't even match the MYP, 200x staction, or 200x toy versions of Evil Lyn.

It's like they tried to screw up in every conceivable way on BG Evil Lyn: Colors are wrong, reuse the Teela dress, she doesn't match the classics Faceless One, and her hair cut is wrong.
    /sigh

You mean, they did exactly what they said they would do? Combine features/inspiration of different eras into a "Classics" figure.

I liked the original Evil-Lyn figure and the classic colours staction the Four Horsemen did for NECA. I was very happy they did the classic Evil-Lyn first (to be honest) because it was supposed to allow for the budget to do proper tooling for a 200Xish Evil-Lyn...which it did...it...she just wasn't done.
    And she won't be. How many times do they have to say, "We will not be remaking 200x figures, they are retired"?

They have said they will include influences, extra heads - and for a new Evil Lyn, she got quite a bit of 200x influence. But she's not totally 200x. Which they said - will not happen.

She has 200x coloring, 200x extra head, she is the first time the vintage style has been used on a non-fluorescent marker yellow figure...

As a Filmation fan, I'm happy that she looks pretty much like the TV show. Yes, slightly different paint scheme (done to please 200x fans - not a lot of good that did). But she looks a hell of a lot more than Evil Lyn from the show than any figure that has come out, ever, in any line.

I think people need to adjust their expectations. How many times do they have to say they will not do straight remakes of 200x? A good portion of this figure has 200x influences, yet as a Filmation fan (like many) I am happy with her. But 200x fans are upset she didn't go "all the way". When they have said...they will not be going "all the way".

But I'm just wasting my breath, though, cause this has all been said. But it's like some 200x fans keep sticking their fingers in their ears and refusing to hear the truth - Classics is not about remaking 200x. 200x got a ton of 200x in this Evil-Lyn - but I keep hearing, "it's not enough". If as a Filmation fan I can think she is "enough" for me, and she has a 200x color scheme, it's tough to see the constant complaints acting like she's defective because she's not EXACTLY 200x.

Like a figure, or don't - but I think 200x fans complaints are based on unrealistic expectations. But if years of TG explaining this, probably not much good I can do.

And she won't be. How many times do they have to say, "We will not be remaking 200x figures, they are retired"?
    I think people need to adjust their expectations. How many times do they have to say they will not do straight remakes of 200x?
    The Four Horsemen (who sculpt the MOTUC figures) said in an interview they did not give her the 200X top and skirt because female buck 2.0 (which Bubble Power She-Ra uses) wasn't completed at the time, but they knew it was coming. If they made the new outfit, it would only be one piece (no waist-twist), which they knew would make many people unhappy...so they decided to just have the old one repainted and hope to revisit her in the future.

That's why many people wonder why she wasn't merely delayed and another, easy to make figure, wasn't slotted in her place. ...or at least painted like the Filmation version (as Met-Hild posted above).
    Last edited by Darkspecter; December 20, 2011 at 05:33am.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I really like Battleground Evil-Lyn - I think she's a visually striking figure.

But I hope we get a "Snakemen Alliance Evil-Lyn" and a "Filmation Evil-Lyn" with shorter wand (like in the toon) and an ancient artifact.