View Poll Results: Should Roton be more true to the original design?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, please change the sculpt so it looks more like the vintage vehicle!

49 43.36%
  • No, leave it as is!

64 56.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Roton be more true to the original design?

Should Roton be more true to the original design?

The Masters Classics Roton prototype has a much more organic, less mechanical look in the face than the original. Should the sculpt be changed to better reflect the original design?

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Yes, it should definitely be more mechanical like the original. I'm not saying the new face isn't cool, it is, but it just isn't the Roton to me, and throws off the mechanical symmetry of the design. Additionally, giving it an organic face makes less sense if you want multiple. For a vehicle, I would equate organic as unique. I think Mattel wants to sell loads of these (along with the Skelcons), and having a mechanical uniformity just like we got with the Wind Raider and Battle Ram makes a better case for wanting/having/needing more as they feel like one of many rather than just one of a kind.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Looks great!
    However I was a little disappointed it was not just how I remembered the original Roton.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, King Miro, Melaktha, Crystal-Man, ABC Giants, Stridor, Road Ripper, Land Shark

It's a combo of Vintage and Model kit look and I think it looks perfect. Everything can't just be straight up Vintage toy look.
    Excited for 2017 with Brian Flynn of Super7 & Four Horsemen taking over the MOTUC's, Club Grayskull and Hopefully Thundercats collectors lines

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    It's a combo of Vintage and Model kit look and I think it looks perfect. Everything can't just be straight up Vintage toy look.
    I don't think the face is very much like either the vintage toy or the model kit. It's mostly new.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Just like mjw41 said!
    We know it was all about inspiration.
    The 4H are themselves big fans of the franchise &
    some of them (if not all) collect these items.
    IMHO free will isn't systematically wrong,
    especially when it makes much sense just like in
    the present case.
    Plus, the matter goes well beyond to me,
    i mean, the way the Roton's face was imagined &
    originally designed was for a definite purpose:
    make the kids scary!!
    Big face & teeth, bulging eyes that almost squint...
    would it really have the same old & positive effect on the current
    fanbase collecting these items?...
    I guess it is time to found out anyway.
    Last edited by OnlyOneSkeletor; February 21, 2016 at 01:00pm.

In this instance I prefer the more vintage look.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration

Heroic Warrior mikerobertschamp's Avatar
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    The original vintage Roton was sweet when it came out in MOTU, not many afterwards topped it. I really think the Four Horse Men made awesome into True Awesome, combining both vintage and model kit and then adding a touch more, its absolutely beautiful!
    My wants all NA POG SOH filmation Garth Lady Slithor Fangor Granita Meteorbs Zark Michi Anghast Sorceress of Serpos Sorceress of Horokoth War Wraith IMMORTALIZED

it hurt to vote "yes change it" but sure.

I would like the eyes specifically to be bigger in scale like the original. Otherwise I like the new more organic face, though the middle tooth could be the same size as the one on either side like the original.

I like the new spikes on the rotors rather than the circular tubes.

Mostly the eyes could be bigger.

If they do not change it (and I doubt they will) I'll be fine with it.

Scaly photo artist Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I voted "yes change it". Sure it's a great sculpt, but it's way off the source. It's not really supposed to be an organic face.
    At the very least that nose has to go.
    Press down on dragon's head. It sprays enemies with a jet of water!
    Press down on a camera's shutter release. It will take pictures that tell stories!

voted to change it. I like the Vintage look better.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I voted to leave it as is... i really like the updated look!!!
    Just when you thought it was safe to take a pee.....- Hard Ticket To Hawaii -

I voted to leave it as is. I really admire this updated, more menacing look which will look amazing with the MOTUC line. I already own a few of the vintage ones so I don't want a Classics one that is just a carbon copy of it. If we get items like the Mantisaur, Spydor or Monstroid, I'd like them to have the same updated look like the Roton has.

That middle tooth looks like it needs to be painted though.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O! Vote in this HatMOTU poll for Filmation characters not found in the "official" fan poll: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...20#post3607720

I only voted for changing it, because Ditztroyer's got the vintage type image on his chest.
    I have seen what others have not seen!

I LOVE the update! He looks more like a cybornetic, living vehicle!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    Really the biggest issue is the nose. If they got rid of that it would be fine.

Heroic Warrior
    Leave it as is. I think the new sculpt is great.
    MASS REJECTION
    www.facebook.com/massrejection

Wanted in Collector's Choice:

Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Attack Trak, Anti-Eternia Man-At-Arms, Dylamug, Mini-comics Tri-Klops.

Heroic Warrior
    Yep, new looks friggin' awesome!

I'm not too bothered either way so I'm fine leaving it as it is. Looks great.

I voted to change it, not so much to keep it similar to vintage but more because it's a very weird design choice. I understand putting eyes or teeth (or wings or similar cool body parts) in vehicle design, because they look cool, but a nose? To me this is a case of Batsuit nipples - too literal

I am still excited, I love Roton and I can't wait to buy it, but I wish the nose wasn't there

One of the things I like about the classics line is seeing new interpretations of the old toys. If I wanted them exactly the same I'd just go play with the old toys. The slight differences are what makes them so cool to me.

I like the nose. I loved the bioorganic vehciles. Spydor, Monstroid, & Roton specifically because they seemed to be in the same "family". Mostly just bigger bloodshot eyes

The nose really didn't bother me until someone pointed it out. It still overall looks outstanding. It certainly doesn't "ruin" the vehicle IMO.

I like the sculpt and wouldn't mind a tweak but I think it's too late at this point.

CHANGE it to a Vintage update! I know that in Twistoid's Bio he is supposed to be integrated into the Roton or whatever, but it just changes the whole design of the "Face" of the vehichle.

Wind Raider = Amazing upgrade of vintage design!

Sky Sled = Amazing upgrade of vintage design!

*Battleram = Amazing upgrade of vintage design! (*added snake motif to make evil sky sled which was cool!)

Talon Fighter = Amazing upgrade of vintage design!

Night Stalker = Amazing upgrade of vintage design!

*ROTON = redesigned or re-imagined version of the vintage design.

Matty - Nostalgia is what drives me as an Adult to spend Thousands of $$$ on your MOTUC/CC/Club Grayskull figures...... this is NOT the Roton I so fondly remember. It's just too different. It went from mechanical machine of terror, to a Mad living vehicle/creature hybrid & I think it FAILS to deliver that Nostalgic rush of getting our childhood toys....only BETTER than we could have dreamed. This misses the mark for me.

Roton needs:

1. Vintage Face
    2. Guns that are scaled bigger & can face straighforward.
    3. Skelcon
    single figure released....(single card or poly bagged...a Single release of the Skelcon will enable people to army build them & make Mattel more revenue. I will not army build vehicles for a $25 figure that I'd buy 4-6 extras off if sold seperately!)
    invisibleboy - Unseen, But DEFINITELY NOT Unheard! Sorry bout it.

Quote Originally Posted by invisibleboy View Post
    CHANGE it to a Vintage update! I know that in Twistoid's Bio he is supposed to be integrated into the Roton or whatever, but it just changes the whole design of the "Face" of the vehichle.

Wind Raider = Amazing upgrade of vintage design!

Sky Sled = Amazing upgrade of vintage design!

*Battleram = Amazing upgrade of vintage design! (*added snake motif to make evil sky sled which was cool!)

Talon Fighter = Amazing upgrade of vintage design!

Night Stalker = Amazing upgrade of vintage design!

*ROTON = redesigned or re-imagined version of the vintage design.

Matty - Nostalgia is what drives me as an Adult to spend Thousands of $$$ on your MOTUC/CC/Club Grayskull figures...... this is NOT the Roton I so fondly remember. It's just too different. It went from mechanical machine of terror, to a Mad living vehicle/creature hybrid & I think it FAILS to deliver that Nostalgic rush of getting our childhood toys....only BETTER than we could have dreamed. This misses the mark for me.

Roton needs:

1. Vintage Face
    2. Guns that are scaled bigger & can face straighforward.
    3. Skelcon single figure released....(single card or poly bagged...a Single release of the Skelcon will enable people to army build them & make Mattel more revenue. I will not army build vehicles for a $25 figure that I'd buy 4-6 extras off if sold seperately!)
    Agreed. The new design is cool but doesn't push my nostalgia buttons