Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Results for the 2011 He-Man.org Official Figure Fan Choice!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickfa View Post
    So far the characters that had little involvement in the story, but have been added to the line have been met with hostility, Chief Carnivus for example. I dont get why the hype over illumina, and I dont think adding a character that never made it into any cannon, makes any sense. It is masters CLASSICS, not masters BRAND NEW.
    All this time should tell you that "Classics" is only a name, not to be taken literally.

When it comes down to it, since toys in the MOTUC no longer have action features, we have to base it solely on previous story involvement and coolness. When faced with black guy, with a huge axe, crazy armor and a Mr. T hair cut vs. Blue snow queen with a white panther, with the power to blind people, MR.T haircut wins.
    A mohawked guy with an axe beats an armed blue woman on a giant snow cat? Would you even be picking Geldor if you'd never heard of him? Base it on merit, not nostalgia.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I would I like mohawks....

Mr. T pities the fool who compares him to Geldor!

Illumina & Hawke were my top 2 choices. Hawks has been around for ages now & I dig her as a companion to Stratos & I hope we get her eventually. Illumina has that thing about her where she "fits" into the MOTU universe. She'll be a welcome addition to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It seems like we'd get Ram Man sooner than later if you ask me. He's one that would definitely sell.
    I sure hope so. Ram Man is high on my "want list."
    I want my other half.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I really think Mattel should make Geldor and Illumina if neither win the subscriber poll because they won their respective fan polls and it would show Mattel really cares, which would be quite special.

I do think Geldor looks really cool and is a bit of a badass, but I have to say, Illumina would kick his butt. She trained Man-At-Arms and Dekker and was trapped on the evil side of the planet for 16 years or so with Sleetah...and she can blind people with her powers. I mean...that's some pretty serious **** right there! Geldor got ate by a tree.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

As a kid, I did want them because they were cool, but for me anyways, that was 1/10th of it. We wanted He-Man because he was the main hero, we wanted Skeletor because he was the main villain. The less involved in the story, the fewer sales I think you'll find the figure had. The "he's cool" factor doesn't have as strong a pull as the story factor

When it comes down to it, since toys in the MOTUC no longer have action features, we have to base it solely on previous story involvement and coolness. When faced with black guy, with a huge axe, crazy armor and a Mr. T hair cut vs. Blue snow queen with a white panther, with the power to blind people, MR.T haircut wins.
    Although most of the figures no longer have their action features, I still feel every MOTU character needs some kind of hook or gimmick, something that draws you to the character and instantly makes him or her seem cool. To me the sign of a truly great MOTU character is when I wanted to buy the figure based on their look alone. Skeletor has a fantastic design, and I could tell just by looking at him that he was the major villain.

No offence to his fans, but i've never understood why Geldor is so popular. He just seems like a generic throwaway villain to me. If i'd seen a toy of him on the shelf as a kid, I wouldn't have given him a second glance. What makes him a Master of the Universe, when he doesn't seem to have any unique abilities? His most evil act in The Secret Liquid of Life was creating an illusion of Torgul's daughter in pain, but that wasn't even his own doing. He had one of his minions conjure it up! That hench-wizard guy should have been calling the shots, since he seemed to possess way more magical power than Geldor!

Something I personally can't stand in a story is when a bad guy has to rely on others for their powers, but has none of his own. It's why I hate Negator. (Negator - "Nerbs, power me!" Ugh, find your own power ya loser! Without those Nerbs, you'd be nothing. )

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    No offence to his fans, but i've never understood why Geldor is so popular. He just seems like a generic throwaway villain to me. If i'd seen a toy of him on the shelf as a kid, I wouldn't have given him a second glance. What makes him a Master of the Universe, when he doesn't seem to have any unique abilities? His most evil act in The Secret Liquid of Life was creating an illusion of Torgul's daughter in pain, but that wasn't even his own doing. He had one of his minions conjure it up! That hench-wizard guy should have been calling the shots, since he seemed to possess way more magical power than Geldor!

Something I personally can't stand in a story is when a bad guy has to rely on others for their powers, but has none of his own. It's why I hate Negator. (Negator - "Nerbs, power me!" Ugh, find your own power ya loser! Without those Nerbs, you'd be nothing. )
    Word. At least Illumina has a power and her big giant Cat. Geldor is some dude with an axe.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Word. At least Illumina has a power and her big giant Cat. Geldor is some dude with an axe.
    At first glance so is He-Man...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    At first glance so is He-Man...
    I <3 you. Always have. lol
    Religion = The Horde
    Atheism = The Great Rebellion

For me Geldor has always stood out as a character because of the comic. There is also a certain air of mystery about him because we don't know that much about him. He is certainly badda$$ enough to have a powerful wizard in his employ that much is certain. Plus that cover! I mean he's charging into battle with He-Man, that's badda$$. Even though we know he stands no chance he's still gonna do it.

I also think his look is interesting and fits in with the MotU visual style. I can't wait to get a figure of him.

I also like Illumina though, for all the same reasons I like Geldor.
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Although most of the figures no longer have their action features, I still feel every MOTU character needs some kind of hook or gimmick, something that draws you to the character and instantly makes him or her seem cool. To me the sign of a truly great MOTU character is when I wanted to buy the figure based on their look alone. Skeletor has a fantastic design, and I could tell just by looking at him that he was the major villain.

Your words prompted me to re-read the mini comic. Turns out I had him confused with someone else, although I still think Geldor looks way cooler than Illumina. On top of that Geldor controls that "hench wizard" ... he must control is for some reason.... I think Geldor has unexplained powers, because how else do you control a wizard like that? ....

Also you dont like character that depend on others for power? Are you saying you dont like Mumm-Ra ... because if so I dont know if I can trust your opinions ....

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    For me Geldor has always stood out as a character because of the comic. There is also a certain air of mystery about him because we don't know that much about him. He is certainly badda$$ enough to have a powerful wizard in his employ that much is certain. Plus that cover! I mean he's charging into battle with He-Man, that's badda$$. Even though we know he stands no chance he's still gonna do it.

I also think his look is interesting and fits in with the MotU visual style. I can't wait to get a figure of him.

I also like Illumina though, for all the same reasons I like Geldor.
    Ya he's rushing head long at he-man. I cant imagine geldor doesnt know who he-man is, he seems to know exactly who he is in the comic. Yet, still rushing 1 on 1 at he-man, and controls a wizard. Geldor has unexplained power/s of some sort.

I agree he has potential. Plus MOTU could use another black guy, and he has a bada$$ haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    All this time should tell you that "Classics" is only a name, not to be taken literally.

A mohawked guy with an axe beats an armed blue woman on a giant snow cat? Would you even be picking Geldor if you'd never heard of him? Base it on merit, not nostalgia.
    I think classics should be literal. Why else would you call it classics? ... Why Not MOTU:TNG? or something to that effect. The new toys are the ones that cause the most stir, because we want the CLASSICS. IE The figures we always wanted but never got as kids, and updates of the ones we did get.

I thought MOTU CLASSICS was about nostalgia ..... it's not? ....

And so okay, as a kid in the store, Illumina would be seperate from her cat I assume, because he-man and skeletor were, unless you got the 2 pack which was fairly rare. I see a blue teela, with maybe a sword and a staff. Beside her, is Geldor, a black dude, with a sword, a huge axe, dark red armor, white hair and a Mr. T hair cut ..... I think even at merit alone, Geldor wins.

I think illuminas story is awkward at best, she is unnessicary as a character, she doesnt stand out as anything more than a a poor excuse to add another female character. Her white cat though, I think is a cool idea. An ice character of some sort with a cat like that would be cool.
    Last edited by Stickfa; December 20, 2011 at 03:20am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Religion = The Horde

I think classics should be literal. Why else would you call it classics? ... Why Not MOTU:TNG? or something to that effect. The new toys are the ones that cause the most stir, because we want the CLASSICS. IE The figures we always wanted but never got as kids, and updates of the ones we did get.

I thought MOTU CLASSICS was about nostalgia ..... it's not? ....
    Hum, no it is not
    That's only how you see them. But it has been stated since the beginning that "Classics" only refer to the style of the figures.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Illumina won ?! Wow, now there's a surprise...
    A success for fans of the character nonetheless.
    Congrats to those who wanted her.
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; December 20, 2011 at 03:36am.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Hum, no it is not
    That's only how you see them. But it has been stated since the beginning that "Classics" only refer to the style of the figures.
    Agreed.

The line is about EVERYTHING MOTU-related. EVERYTHING.

Nostalgia, new things, reclaiming lost opportunities, reinvigorating stale concepts, exploiting exciting stories, etc.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Hum, no it is not
    Agreed. It was never a line that was going to be exclusively rehashing the 80's and 90's stuff. It was meant to encompass all things MotU but heavily relying on the classic look of the vintage 80's figures.

Look at DCUC... theres nothing "classic" about the latest wave of Blackest Night figures.
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Hum, no it is not
    Oh, okay well that makes sense then. That understood, all the pictures I see of illumina are clearly 200X style. She looks like she belongs in World of Warcraft more than MOTU. She has the blue skin, pointy ears, matching armor set and mount of a level 60+ Night Elf.... lol it's stunning now that I say that how spot on I am.

You have drawn her with a classics look she was toned down to fit into the classics line, do you guys still want her?

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9181/ilu.png

I would love for emiliano to do this with Geldor. As amazing as his art is, this character still bores me.... I think it's the Mr. T haircut that wins it for me, you put a Mr. T haircut on Skeletor and call it ULTRA Skeletor, and I'd want it. lol
    Last edited by Stickfa; December 20, 2011 at 04:00am.
    Religion = The Horde

Oh, okay well that makes sense then. That understood, all the pictures I see of illumina are clearly 200X style. She looks like she belongs in World of Warcraft more than MOTU. She has the blue skin, pointy ears, matching armor set and mount of a level 60+ Night Elf.... lol it's stunning now that I say that how spot on I am.

You have drawn her with a classics look she was toned down to fit into the classics line, do you guys still want her?

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9181/ilu.png
    That's a modified image by another fan
    My "official" MOTUC design for her is this one:

And yes, people are aware of that design and still want her

I would love for emiliano to do this with Geldor. As amazing as his art is, this character still bores me.... I think it's the Mr. T haircut that wins it for me, you put a Mr. T haircut on Skeletor and call it ULTRA Skeletor, and I'd want it. lol
    I may do it sometime, I still have plenty of other characters on my list before I get to him though

Your words prompted me to re-read the mini comic. Turns out I had him confused with someone else, although I still think Geldor looks way cooler than Illumina. On top of that Geldor controls that "hench wizard" ... he must control is for some reason.... I think Geldor has unexplained powers, because how else do you control a wizard like that? ....

Also you dont like character that depend on others for power? Are you saying you dont like Mumm-Ra ... because if so I dont know if I can trust your opinions ....

Ya he's rushing head long at he-man. I cant imagine geldor doesnt know who he-man is, he seems to know exactly who he is in the comic. Yet, still rushing 1 on 1 at he-man, and controls a wizard. Geldor has unexplained power/s of some sort.
    The cover does imply that he had some sort of power, although it could just be an enchanted weapon. He does have potential though, i'll admit it. I didn't think much of Count Marzo either until his MYP makeover, so maybe a new comic or cartoon can give Geldor more depth.

I do think Mumm-Ra is a great villain, but mostly on the strength of his voice actor. I always enjoyed seeing Lion-O defeat him, as I loathed him so much! The source of his abilities is a lot cooler than just employing a random wizard or some cute little creatures to power him up though, so I wouldn't compare him to Negator or Geldor. The Ancient Spirits of Evil were essentially godlike. And while Mumm-Ra had immense power, he also had many weaknesses.

Why is it okay for a hero like He-Man to call on powers to be given to him or for Marzo to depend on his amulet for all his magic, but not for a villain like Negator? Parasites make great villains, and they're so true to the nature of evil! Also I think it's natural to figure that Geldor most be pretty powerful to have that strong a magician as his henchman. Hordak wasn't less of a villain for having Shadow Weaver to cast spells for him when needed. I don't pretend the mini comic covered this ground, but I think Geldor is the dominant of the two and that a measure of his power may be deduced from the power of his subordinates.
    Last edited by gbagok; December 22, 2011 at 03:43pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Yay Illumina! I'd always assumed she was Keldor's mother (She's not).
    But I still want her, regardless of being a Teela repaint, Though it makes more sense to make her a Batte Ground Evil-Lyn repaint after they spent time tooling articulated bracers for her. I'd love to see her as an SDCC Two-pack with Sleetah. And yes, I like her because A) She looks cool. And B) I like kitties.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Why is it okay for a hero like He-Man to call on powers to be given to him or for Marzo to depend on his amulet for all his magic, but not for a villain like Negator? Parasites make great villains, and they're so true to the nature of evil! Also I think it's natural to figure that Geldor most be pretty powerful to have that strong a magician as his henchman. Hordak wasn't less of a villain for having Shadow Weaver to cast spells for him when needed. I don't pretend the mini comic covered this ground, but I think Geldor is the dominant of the two and that a measure of his power may be deduced from the power of his subordinates.
    Adam & Adora were chosen/destined to become He-Man & She-Ra and only they can call on the power of Grayskull. It's far easier to pick up an axe and hire a wizard than it is to become the Most Powerful Man/Woman In The Universe. And even when they are depowered, Adam & Adora are still interesting characters, and Adora in particular is quite a capable warrior.

Mumm-Ra was selected by a higher power to be their vessel of evil, and even in his mummified form he's a dangerous calculating villain.

Take away the Nerbs & the hench-wizard from Negator & Geldor and these characters are, in my opinion, no longer a threat. While it is possible that Geldor did have (unseen) powers of his own, his followers may just have been hired hands, or perhaps some of them were being blackmailed into doing his bidding. Plus the fact that he got killed by a flipping tree () indicates that he wasn't really all that powerful.

I always saw Marzo's amulet as merely a way of enhancing his existing powers, similar to Evil-Lyn & Skeletor's staffs.

Hordak already has powers of his own, so he is not dependant on his minions to be a credible villain.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; December 22, 2011 at 06:11pm.

Poor Yellow Warrior in Tug of War. I voted you quite high (and Josh in Last Place) but others clearly didn't.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

That's a modified image by another fan
    My "official" MOTUC design for her is this one:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ictureid=14595
    And yes, people are aware of that design and still want her

I may do it sometime, I still have plenty of other characters on my list before I get to him though
    So many parts already exist to make her. Hopefully she has a fighting chance in the poll!!
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Adam & Adora were chosen/destined to become He-Man & She-Ra and only they can call on the power of Grayskull. It's far easier to pick up an axe and hire a wizard than it is to become the Most Powerful Man/Woman In The Universe. And even when they are depowered, Adam & Adora are still interesting characters, and Adora in particular is quite a capable warrior.
    I don't consider predestination to be somewhat easier though. To Adam and Adora, it IS just picking up a sword and asking for help. No shame in that, but that IS what they are doing. As for being interesting people in their own right, I agree that Negator and Geldor are not as developed, but then they are only guest characters compared to franchise leads.

Mumm-Ra was selected by a higher power to be their vessel of evil, and even in his mummified form he's a dangerous calculating villain.
    I think "selected by a higher power" is a cop out. A crutch is a crutch, and the Ancient Spirits of Evil or the Moon Star of Limbo are just that. He's a parasite using powers that, for reasons we don't really care about, are available to him. If someone else can do the same thing, we never really find out. I agree he was interesting regardless of the exclusivity though. Anyone could be seduced by the One Ring, but Golem was still a fascinating character too.

Take away the Nerbs & the hench-wizard from Negator & Geldor and these characters are, in my opinion, no longer a threat.
    It is indeed your opinion, one that is not completely contradicted, but also not supported by anything so much as preference. Negator was power-hungry, he worked towards that end--even after the Nerbs apparently were lost to him (he appeared in a further episode without them and he was a threat). Geldor was more just a straight evil warlord type, but I still don't think we saw anything to insist on him being useless without his henchmen. And again, I think him having those henchmen suggested some worth that you don't see.

While it is possible that Geldor did have (unseen) powers of his own, his followers may just have been hired hands, or perhaps some of them were being blackmailed into doing his bidding. Plus the fact that he got killed by a flipping tree () indicates that he wasn't really all that powerful.
    Yes it's possible they were hired, or blackmailed, but given their powers--that still makes him interesting. We don't see them just up and leave him alone. There's a story here, I am sure of it, though I don't think the original developed it enough. Also, hey, dismissing a giant rapidly growing magic tree as just a tree is criminal understatement. He was destroyed by the resulting power of the Secret Liquid of Life, a fitting end, and a rare death in MOTU.

I always saw Marzo's amulet as merely a way of enhancing his existing powers, similar to Evil-Lyn & Skeletor's staffs.

Hordak already has powers of his own, so he is not dependant on his minions to be a credible villain.
    There wasn't anything to show that Marzo had existing powers to be enhanced (and since you haven't mentioned his powers from Filmation until now, too late!). Heck, Evil-Lyn called him "useless" without the amulet. So you've made a choice to assume some value there that you haven't for Geldor. I didn't think Geldor was dependent on his wizard anymore than Hordak was dependent on Shadow Weaver when he used her skills. Again, that we saw Hordak do more is as much to do with his numerous appearances as a major villain while Geldor only had a one-shot (and I admit, it was far from lightning in a bottle). Absolutely I think we ought to have seen more of what he could do on his own, and since he doesn't have to be dead in MOTUC, we can build on him without removing his servants or his use of their powers.
    Last edited by gbagok; December 24, 2011 at 07:56am.

Take away the Nerbs & the hench-wizard from Negator & Geldor and these characters are, in my opinion, no longer a threat. While it is possible that Geldor did have (unseen) powers of his own, his followers may just have been hired hands, or perhaps some of them were being blackmailed into doing his bidding. Plus the fact that he got killed by a flipping tree () indicates that he wasn't really all that powerful.

This argument seems like its stretching for a reason to put Geldor down. Why does he need a power to be a memorable villian? The Joker has absolutely 0 powers and has goons and henchmen willing to do his bidding and goes toe to toe with Batman as well as other super heroes without even a second thought because hes out of his mind insane. He is also perhaps one of the most well known super villians throughout the entire world, and one of the most interesting, again, not because he has powers, but because he is out of his mind crazy. The fact that Geldor is willing to run in to battle against He-Man without any powers makes him a threat because to me, hes a loose canon, unpredictable, and unafraid to die. That alone makes for a GREAT villain simply because you don't know how things will work out.

Further more, and I am glad for Illuminas supporters that she won this poll, but in what canon is her background story more interesting than Geldors?
    I know people are saying she trained Dekker and Man-at-Arms, but idk if that's gonna translate over to the bio. Honestly, I can see them going with a bio that hardly even mentions her, and talks about the Gar Race.

Finally, art is purely subjective, I prefer Geldor over Illumina, which is how I voted, but even tho I am not an Illumina fan I put her up at around #5 or 6, as personally there were other figures on the list I wanted before her. Of course, I'd take Illumina over Josh or say, songster, ANY DAY of the week, of course, that too is subjective.

Finally, in mattels poll, I will kick Scott in the scrote if he puts Ram Man and/or Spikor on that list and that is purely because if they ARE on the list for their official poll, itll have been a kick to ours
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!