Thread: Instead of numerous variants, what characters could be deluxe with all variant parts?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Instead of numerous variants, what characters could be deluxe with all variant parts?

There has been a lot of discussion over the last 12 months or so over the noticeably increasing amount of variants in the line. Are they damaging it (repeats of 200x some might should), or if they're fleshing it out with all the variants fans could have ever dreamed of?

Either way, I got to thinking this evening, surely there are some characters that wouldn't really need variant(s) releases; surely they could have the standard release, but for the parts needed to create the variant look (i.e. different interpretation of armor, paint job differences, etc.) included as the main release - kinda making these releases "deluxe" versions.

Whether you're a fan of the multiple variants or not, it's clear to see that obviously - assuming they are released - some versions would require totally "new" separate releases to get the desired look. But with many characters, the differences are surely more basic.
    Probably venturing more into the b- and c-list characters, but some of these guys would only require a selection of variant pieces included, and could be used on the same basic buck*, with alternate heads, etc., being added on.
    * - oh how I haven't missed that word falling out of use slightly in recent months!!

How does anyone else feel about this? Personally, I do feel the line is becoming too variant-heavy, and this "deluxe" move could reduce the number of single releases of given character, yet allow completists and fans of given characters the chance to achieve the look they want with that figure, without watering down the overall release pattern that looks like might start happening. Beyond that, it could also help "big up" some of those b-, c- and beyond-list characters in the franchise.

Even more so, which characters could fit into this possible release formula? Discuss away....
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I'd lo9ve this kind of deluxe figures.
    I think King Hiss should have been one.

I think a character like Mermista (with swappable legs) could be a great deluxe figure, too
    Awesome sticker included!

New Adventures Skeletor and Laser Power Skeletor are basically the same figure.

They can give him:

-NA head
    -Laser Power head (Preternia He-Man hood with skill face-plate)
    -red translucent Havoc Staff
    -NA staff
    -purple cape with magenta wash (to compromise between the colors)
    -detachable hands: reuse the Horde Prime hands... They will likely use the Roboto/Horde Prime tech arms for this version of Skeletor... Which is perfect because they can include the red translucent right fist (from laser power) as a detachable piece.

AND everyone will buy two.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    New Adventures Skeletor and Laser Power Skeletor are basically the same figure.
    I've noticed that. I've actually been dreading that particular variant because NA Skeletor renders it a total waste of money and time.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    There are a few figures that could REALLY benefit from being deluxe:

1) Two-Bad: This set would be great IF you received Tuvar AND Badra but they could be combined to form Two-Bad. There would be a serparate Two-Bad chest sculpt with armor as well as a Two-Bad loincloth. The Two-Bad parts could be swapped with either the Tuvar OR Badra figure much like the King Hsss torso and Trap Jaw arm in order to make Two-Bad.

2) Roboto: The standard figure with chest/battle armor with attachable shoulder cannons, removable left AND right hands for dual cannons, axes or clamps, six are attachments and an MYP inspired head.

3) King Hsss: Standard figure with MYP inspired headsculpt, FIRST interchangeable loin cloth which wouldn't be too hard since the figure already splits in half. He could have his vintage one AND a MYP/200X version that could be a modified Chief Carnivus loincloth. They could also include snake/hand attachments for a partial transformation display option and interchangeable boots/MYP feet.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

It would be a great idea, but Mattel would claim that they'd lose their shirts and possibly pants to make them. Then we'd have to endure months of TG reminding us that they lost their shirts and possibly pants to make said deluxe figures... Also he'd comment on 3 cost increases, and the need of lazy, "taken for the ass" figures to justify some "deluxe" figures...
    A Nice alternative to that would be "Upgrade paks" for some characters so you can Mix and match to make your definitive version.
    For Example:
    He-Man Upgrade Pak: New head with the 200X Hairstyle classicized or the one in the new 30th Art, New 200X Inspired Harness, Shield, Techno sword, and Vikor's Ax in 200X Colors.

Roboto Upgrade Pak:
    New MYP Inspired head (or Mouthpiece if they'll lose their shirts with a head) Chestplate with mini rack for his accessories and Shoulder cannon (it plugs to the Chestplate).

She-Ra Upgrade Pak:
    New armor (Something like BP She-Ra's to create the Vintage Toy look) Normal Vintage She-Ra toy sword, BP She-Ra Tiara in Normal She-Ra colors.

Trap Jaw/Kronis Upgrade pak: 1-2 Weapons for Kronis, Clip on pieces to create a Classicized 200X Trap Jaw arm. Maybe a New attachment.

MEF Upgrade Pak: 1-3 Extra heads (maybe one with Female characters) and 200X Mace

MAA Upgrade pak: a Hard Mace, the 200X Handcannon, a Classicized and slightly smaller 200X pauldron, right side normal armor to make a Filmation inspired MAA. Maybe even a Repaint of Duncan's head in Filmation colors.

(Yes this idea will be shot down as well cause of tooling and heads being Morbid.)

but yes I'd love if ALL the figures had the same amount of customization as Fisto
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I would think all it would take is one Deluxe NA He-Man to encompass the general NA He-Man look, plus the NA Thunder Punch and NA Battle Punch He-Man variants. You throw in the various armors and weapons... and get all three NA He-Man looks in one Deluxe figure

Someone (forgive me for not remembering or tracking it down) postulated some great Teela and Lyn figures in this fashion. I would love a Teela able to don her bridal dress from her near-marriage to Skeletor...

As for others, I LOVE the Two-Badd/Tuvar/Baddrah idea.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

The Mighty Spector!! Add nothing and you have a great Deadpool figure as well!!

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Mini-comic/green Trap Jaw. Furry boots, furry shorts, new belt, new head sculpt, new bionic arm... the 4H could really knock it out of the park with him.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    The Mighty Spector!! Add nothing and you have a great Deadpool figure as well!!
    This is wrong on many levels but I'm in total agreement.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    I want LL Skelli & NA Skelli being seperated releases.

There is no Skeletor variant in MOTU history I wouldn't buy!

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    I figured we would get King Hsss as a Deluxe. I was shocked he was a "basic" I also would lump, or have lumped Mermista, Extendar, Tallstar, Stonedar, Rokkon, and Granita in that category as well.

I can even see Teela 2.0 having a metric ton of swappable parts between her Filmation, 200x, minicomics, classic redhead, classic blonde, Teela/Goddess's snake armor (caucasian), and the "Tale of Two Teelas" merged form.

I don't get where there is an "increasing" number of variants......or where they took up slots from other figures...

In 2010, there were 21 figures released 3 were official variants, but also 1 unnofficial variant (Moss Man) & 2 SDCC variants (Skeletor & Orko)

3 of 21 figures & 3 Accessories.....were variants...there was supposed to be 4 variants in 2010...hence the "Quarterly" but for some reason there was not...and that would have made 5 in 2010.

In 2011, there were 24 figures released 6 were official variants...these 3 extra variants were added to the figure total, not taking a slot from another figure...and 1 of those was the sub exclusive, therefore not taking a monthly slot...they fixed the 4 "Quarterly" slots to actualy include 4...and BP She-Ra was an extra figure..not included in the sub anyway, therefore not taking a slot from any character.

6 of 24 figures, 1 Accessory & 1 Vehicle.....were variants...there were 4 "Quarterly" variants in 2011...1 Sub exclusive, and 1 bonus variant.

So I don't get the "Increasing" part..OK they had PED He-Man as the 2011 sub exclusive...why?, I don't know, but they didn't in 2012, they have Shadow Weaver. And so far only 2 actualy "quarterly" variants have been revealed in 2012...TP He-Man & SMAA...so, so far where is the increasing coming in...there was 1 supposed to be the same amount in 2010 & 2011, but for some reason there was 1 missing in 2010...and PED He-Man was a sub exclusive..so 1 more was slated in 2011 over 2010, and 2012 looks to see 5 again, maybe 6, but that still wouldn't be more than 2011.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Evil-Lyn with a 200x bodice & with the options (heads, boots) to make her "Snake-Alliance" Evil-Lyn or "Teen-Rebel" Evil-Lyn.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I don't get where there is an "increasing" number of variants......or where they took up slots from other figures...

In 2010, there were 21 figures released 3 were official variants, but also 1 unnofficial variant (Moss Man) & 2 SDCC variants (Skeletor & Orko)

3 of 21 figures & 3 Accessories.....were variants...there was supposed to be 4 variants in 2010...hence the "Quarterly" but for some reason there was not...and that would have made 5 in 2010.

In 2011, there were 24 figures released 6 were official variants...these 3 extra variants were added to the figure total, not taking a slot from another figure...and 1 of those was the sub exclusive, therefore not taking a monthly slot...they fixed the 4 "Quarterly" slots to actualy include 4...and BP She-Ra was an extra figure..not included in the sub anyway, therefore not taking a slot from any character.

6 of 24 figures, 1 Accessory & 1 Vehicle.....were variants...there were 4 "Quarterly" variants in 2011...1 Sub exclusive, and 1 bonus variant.

So I don't get the "Increasing" part..OK they had PED He-Man as the 2011 sub exclusive...why?, I don't know, but they didn't in 2012, they have Shadow Weaver. And so far only 2 actualy "quarterly" variants have been revealed in 2012...TP He-Man & SMAA...so, so far where is the increasing coming in...there was 1 supposed to be the same amount in 2010 & 2011, but for some reason there was 1 missing in 2010...and PED He-Man was a sub exclusive..so 1 more was slated in 2011 over 2010, and 2012 looks to see 5 again, maybe 6, but that still wouldn't be more than 2011.
    Don't forget about Temple of Darkness Sorceress. That adds another variant for 2012.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"