Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru talks about PoP in 2012

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Toyguru talks about PoP in 2012

I found this answer from Toyguru about PoP in 2012. He totally mentions Josh too!

Clawdeen's question: There are quite a few rumours saying that POP will only be getting one monthly figure slot in 2012 and obviously alot of fans are not happy about this particuarly on HE-MAN.ORG.

The Great Rebellion is practically non existant as it is, Shadow Weaver is not a Rebel and the Star Sisters take up a multi-pack/beast slot not the 12 monthly figure slots and are not core POP characters. I read a previous answer where you said POP already had quite a bit but POP fans want core important Rebellion members such as Glimmer, Frosta, Castaspella, Queen Angella and Mermista.

Another suggestion I read was that Sea Hawk was due to be released in 2013 so even if it's not true can I just say (as someone who is well in tune with what POP fans want since I read all the POP related threads) that using Sea Hawk as the POP incentive figure for a 2013 subscription really won't work POP fans want the core important female rebels first.

How can POP one of the most popular and most loved aspects of MOTUC get only one monthly figure slot for a year?

Toyguru's answer: Thanks for your question. Let me use your post to help clear up quite a few issues.

1: First and foremost, you are asking a question based on unconfirmed rumors and online speculation. We have not announced anyone past Horde Prime. You'll just need to wait for NYTF for the next big reveals!If rumors keep you up at night, stop paying attention to them. They are only rumors and not confirmed announcements. ;-)

2: I think a lot of POP issues may stream from the way the Horsemen and I (and Terry etc..) viewed their inclusion in the line and the way some fans do. First off, POP in our minds 100% includes POP villains like Catra and Shadow Weaver. Catra was in the vintage POP toyline and SW was exclusive to the POP series. It also includes POP oversized/beasts like Swiftwind. All bring more POP to the line. Some fans also tend to drill down a bit further from MOTUC > POP > Rebellion Members > Female Rebellion members > Female Rebellion Members that had toys in the vintage line.

When you are this specific we may not meet your request right away. This is just simply too specific for us to view the limited slots we have each year. Just like we did not get to both a Space Mutant and a Galactic Protector last year, New Adventures was present. We totally know fans want the main POP ladies and of course we are looking for way to bring them to the line. POP has had more representation then Snake Men, Horde, or New Adventures when you look at everything released thus far. And we know there is a lot more to get to in time. Stay tuned. I promise POP will continue to play an important part in the line.

I've also seen some fans only look at the 12 monthly figure slots as where items must be. And again, this is getting too specific. We view the line more as the full year of everything in the sub. Remember, continuing into 2012 the sub includes quarterly beasts/multipacks and quarterly variants. So a subcatagory like POP, NA, Mini Comics, 200X, Filmation, etc... could be covered in any of the slots in the sub. With this in mind, you are already getting 3 members of the Great Rebellion in 2012 already, Starla, Jewelstar and Tallstar. Plus the sub exclusive is a POP female. That's already more POP in Q1 then we have done in any previous year in total. Saying these figures do not count because they were not members of the core Filmation/vintage toy line or is not specifically in a monthly slot is just getting too specific for a toy line with such limited skus each year. We just can't drill down this deep when filling slots.

And as announced there is still more POP coming in the full sub 2012 line. Whether that is a monthly figure or figures or quarterly item or items it could be anything from a good guy/gal, bad guy/gal, rebellion member, filmation character or Josh from the mini comics. What you will get beyond Horde Primw has yet to be revealed. But more POP is coming in 2012.

Hope this helps!

TG
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...137#3201084137

One thing I'm a tad confused about from his answer...what's classified as "Evil Horde" and what's classified as "PoP"?

*Evil-Horde Catra, with a Horde sticker on her bubble...in her Horde outfit from the cartoon is classified as PoP
    *Shadow Weaver is classified as PoP, with Horde sticker on her bubble.
    *Horde Prime...originated in Filmation PoP cartoon...but is THE main Horde member. Is he PoP too?

I'm very confused over this classification system.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I think Scot is correct in his answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Agreed, I concur.

All I know, is if I see a Horde sticker on a figure, they are a HORDE figure...right? Does that not make sense?

If they're being considered PoP...why don't they have the PoP sticker? Catra was on the PoP card in the 80's (in her non-Horde outfits). The PoP sticker has nothing to do with allegiance (Great Rebellion or Evil Horde)...it was about the brand. *shrugs*

It's not a "big deal" to me, I'm just confused.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Please TG, dontīt try to fool us.

The scheme is very simple MOTUC > POP (Great Rebellion Heroines). No need to talk about being too specific.

Catra and ShadowWeaver are Evil Horde.

We have limited slots. Cool. Please donīt fill that limited slots with unrequested variants (Snake Man-at-Arms) and give people what they want. More core Great Rebellion characters.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

The horde sticker on Catra was more or less requested by fans. I wasnt aware the sticker was the qualification. I would love to have Minicomic and 200X stickers then.
    But maybe Mattel should stop putting stickers on the packages themselves and give a sticker sheet every year so fans can decide themselves and not get confused.

Personally I don't think it's fair to lump together everything from the world of POP (Filmation, mini-comics, toy line etc.) and treat the entire thing as a sub-category. The figures are all selling. 'Getting specific' is precisely what Mattel and the hardcore fans do with MOTU. Why should POP be treated any different from MOTU?

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post

The scheme is very simple MOTUC > POP (Great Rebellion Heroines). No need to talk about being too specific.
    So what are Bow, Sea Hawk and Swiftwind?
    Good vs Evil is not the classification. We dont have a Evil Warriors subcategory eithet.

There are multiple categories that overlap. Shadow Weaver is PoP. She's also Horde, and also Filmation-only.
    People do need to be specific about the Great Rebellion imo. It would be like saying 'motu' when referring only to the heroic warrriors.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    So what are Bow, Sea Hawk and Swiftwind?
    Good vs Evil is not the classification. We dont have a Evil Warriors subcategory eithet.
    Please, is not a matter of stickers, is a matter of factions...

Sea Hawk has been revealed? When? Then, will we only get male characters from the Great Rebellion?
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    There are multiple categories that overlap. Shadow Weaver is PoP. She's also Horde, and also Filmation-only.
    People do need to be specific about the Great Rebellion imo. It would be like saying 'motu' when referring only to the heroic warrriors.
    Yes, indeed.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

i agree, but this comment is not needed:

If rumors keep you up at night, stop paying attention to them.
    specifically the bolded part. no where did clawdeen state rumors were keeping her up at night. these cute jokey responses are really not needed.

i think this was spot on:

It also includes POP oversized/beasts like Swiftwind. All bring more POP to the line. Some fans also tend to drill down a bit further from MOTUC > POP > Rebellion Members > Female Rebellion members > Female Rebellion Members that had toys in the vintage line.

When you are this specific we may not meet your request right away. This is just simply too specific for us to view the limited slots we have each year.
    i mean, star sisters don't count cause they are taking a multi/beast slot? shadow weaver doesn't count cause she wasn't in the rebellion? then i guess skeletor and the evil warriors don't count as motu - WE NEED MORE MOTU FIGS! STAT!

btw, catra is CLEARLY a pop character having been in the pop toon and having a pop toy created for her.

Please, is not a matter of stickers, is a matter of factions...

Sea Hawk has been revealed? When? Then, will we only get male characters from the Great Rebellion?
    You are reaching. You know very well who is considered part of the world of Shera and part of the Motu Horde toy line.

I like the POP toys but the questions like the one above constantly playing the underdog/ victom card is getting old quickly.
    POp is getting lots of love and slots in MOTUC.

But for those who seem to be thinking that POP is under represented ad grasp for logic, good luck with that. Just realize that support from other fans will slink.
    Mine is when I see these questions and responses.

I'm genuinely confused by the factions now. Are ALL Horde members going to be considered as PoP characters in the line now, because they also appeared in the PoP cartoon? Does it depend of where they first appeared (MOTU toy, PoP cartoon, etc.)?

Hordak, Leech, Hurricane Hordak. Were those PoP figures in MOTUC? How is Mattel classifying these?

If these classifications mean more or less slots for PoP a year, it is a good idea to figure out where Mattel is coming from.

Catra and ShadowWeaver are Evil Horde.

We have limited slots. Cool. Please donīt fill that limited slots with unrequested variants (Snake Man-at-Arms) and give people what they want. More core Great Rebellion characters.
    I lik variants like SMaA. I also love PoP; as long as this line goes long enough to get it all, I'm happy.
    (Not picking on you or anyone, just used your post to make my specific point.)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Catra is a PoP figure who is also part of the Horde. How hard is this to comprehend? She's as much a Horde member as she is a PoP member.

Damn.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

I agree I wanna see some core members of the Rebellion but I understand where Toy Guru is coming from!
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

I find it interesting to separate Catra from PoP because she has a Horde sticker. Optik and Flipshot are both NA, but have different stickers. Do they count as 2 NA figures? Or one Space Mutant, one Galactic Guardian?

I guess my question for Mattel is: Why does Mattel make no issue of the topic when hardcore vintage MOTU fans ask you to round out so and so wave or get more Snake Men, Horde etc., as if they're separate entities from MOTU, but with POP fans we're 'getting too specific'?

i am more a POP/2000x fan then i am a MOTU fan but i think so far the only ones that are lacking are Snakemen....but i do have to say i HATE the Star Sisters 4 pack and think it's a slap in the face to POP fan's that wanted there toy look

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Enters thread...Leaves thread.
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

As long as we're getting more POP characters in 2012 I agree with Scott's answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    i am more a POP/2000x fan then i am a MOTU fan but i think so far the only ones that are lacking are Snakemen....but i do have to say i HATE the Star Sisters 4 pack and think it's a slap in the face to POP fan's that wanted there toy look
    What I will hate the most is when I finished repainting my double Star Sisters set and they announce they will release the toy colours. Lol.
    I loved the repaints I saw of the sisters.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I've recovered from my brain fart. Thanks to Marzo, Whiplash and Eterniandreams for setting me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    That's an interesting combo...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Catra is a PoP figure who is also part of the Horde. How hard is this to comprehend? She's as much a Horde member as she is a PoP member.

Damn.
    No, I mean...how does Mattel see it? Because the year's line up is supposed to be an even mix of A-listers to D-listers and characters from every era.

Toyguru said this line:

POP has had more representation then Snake Men, Horde, or New Adventures when you look at everything released thus far.
    Depending on how they look at things, the groups can break down in different ways:

PoP
    - Adora
    - She-Ra
    - Bow
    - Catra
    - Bubble Power She-Ra
    - Swiftwind
    - Star Sisters (3)
    - Shadow Weaver
    - Horde Prime

Horde
    - Hordak
    - Grizzlor
    - Leech
    - Hurricane Hordak

That's 11 PoP to 4 Horde

OR

PoP
    - Adora
    - She-Ra
    - Bow
    - Bubble Power She-Ra
    - Swiftwind
    - Star Sisters (3)

Horde
    - Hordak
    - Grizzlor
    - Leech
    - Hurricane Hordak
    - Catra
    - Shadow Weaver
    - Horde Prime

That's 8 PoP to 7 Horde

Or a mash-up where all the Horde are considered PoP as well as Horde (15 PoP to 7 Horde...the 7 Horde are also included in PoP in that example).

I know it sounds silly, but however Mattel defines it may depend on how many PoP characters we get per year. *shrugs*