Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru talks about PoP in 2012

Heroic Warrior
    I remove the figures from the blister so I can play with them. Whatever the sticker says on the package means nothing to me... But I will say:

Shadow Weaver is Evil Horde

Catra is Evil Horde

Horde Prime is kind of a no brainer.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Okay, I understand how you guys see it now.

How about the "unaffiliated" characters from the PoP cartoon like Mortella, Melog, etc. IF they ever made it into the line, would they have a PoP sticker or no sticker at all?
    Yeah, what kind of sticker would Huntara have? None at all?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    No, I mean...how does Mattel see it? Because the year's line up is supposed to be an even mix of A-listers to D-listers and characters from every era.
    This is where the problem comes in...

I don't believe Mattel CARES about 'Factions'. The stickers were a FAN suggestion, and the breakdown is bit problematic. Is Catra PoP? Yes. Is she horde? Yes. Is she vintage?? Certainly... She was on the shelves the same time as ninjor and King Hiss...

What about Hordak?? He's she-ra's main enemy, instrumental in her origin, and was in every episode of her series? Most of the girls I knew who collected She-ra... ALSO bought the Horde.

They're as much PoP as they are MOTU...

Toyguru even said:
    When you are this specific we may not meet your request right away. This is just simply too specific for us to view the limited slots we have each year. Just like we did not get to both a Space Mutant and a Galactic Protector last year, New Adventures was present. We totally know fans want the main POP ladies and of course we are looking for way to bring them to the line. POP has had more representation then Snake Men, Horde, or New Adventures when you look at everything released thus far. And we know there is a lot more to get to in time. Stay tuned. I promise POP will continue to play an important part in the line.
    If he/they consider both Space mutants and Galactic Protectors to both be NA.... then logically... PoP, Catra, Sea hawk, Shadow Weaver and the Horde... would all count as PoP.

Everyone has their favorite characters... But I find it silly when I see people say 'We don't have enough Females... we don't have enough PoP.... We don't have enough good guys....

Star sisters?? 3 Pack in january??

Ohhh... ummm.. THey don't count!

Fact remains, the stickers simply don't mean much. Bow is not a princess. The great rebellion doesn't even count in the bios... all the 'cool' people are coming to eternia to fight...

PoP is no longer on eternia.... NA is not in the future... Everything is here... everything is now... It's an ALL ENCLUSIVE line that mixes everything together

Horde characters (as a separate entity from PoP) means MOTU toyline Horde. any PoP toon only horde members are likely PoP first toy or not, sticker or not.

Horde MOTU = Grey Hordak, Mantenna, Leech, Modulok, Multibot, Grizzlor, Mosquitor, Horde Trooprs and Dragstor. (possible That mummy and MAYBE Batros since he was in the MOTU toon)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    How about this:

Cartra is a POP figure but also a member of he Horde.

Castaspella is a POP figure but also abet of the Great Rebellion.

We use the POP sticker on POP figures unless the belong to another group that also has a team sticker. (so Catra or SW would get their POP sticker trumped by a Horde sticker).

We went with a POP sticker in lieu of an all new "GR sticker" to promote the brand equity of the POP logo. But we did discuss both options for how to sticker. In the end we went with a method we thought would promote the equity of the Horde and POP logos the best. It wasn't designed to confuse as much as it may have!
    To be honest, I don't think a lot of people are as confused as they make out (just my thought, apologies to anyone who generally is) they're just twisting logic to suit their needs.

I want Frosta, Glimmer, Angella et al as much as the next man, but dealing in hard facts, there are as many Great Rebellion members in February as there are NA characters released/announced in the line, so I really don't get were the hard done to POP fans comments are coming from (and as said, I'm a POP fan myself)
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    I think Scot is correct in his answer.
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Catra is a PoP figure who is also part of the Horde. How hard is this to comprehend? She's as much a Horde member as she is a PoP member.

Damn.
    Thanks for being a voice of Reason RH!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Who gives a **** they are all awesome no matter how you break it down! MOTU, PoP, Heroic, Evil, Horde, Snake, Galactic, Filmation, 200x, whatever!!!
    BRAVO!!! Give The man a Flower!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I'm not at all confused by his meaning, and I don't think any of you hard core POP fans are either, regardless of the sticker situation!
    I 100% agree.
    Yeah, really, how hard is that to comprehend?
    I AM a 100% Committed POP Vintage Toy Fan...and I comprehend it perfectly! The stickers are NOTHING! I think people are so determined to take offense at anything TG posts that they will Arc up over nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    How about this:

Cartra is a POP figure but also a member of he Horde.

Castaspella is a POP figure but also abet of the Great Rebellion.

We use the POP sticker on POP figures unless the belong to another group that also has a team sticker. (so Catra or SW would get their POP sticker trumped by a Horde sticker).

We went with a POP sticker in lieu of an all new "GR sticker" to promote the brand equity of the POP logo. But we did discuss both options for how to sticker. In the end we went with a method we thought would promote the equity of the Horde and POP logos the best. It wasn't designed to confuse as much as it may have!
    Makes perfect sense to me -always has!- I know that 'Red Horde' Catra is just another Variant of her. Maybe one day we will get Magenta & Black fur Catra with her POP Sticker. Its win/win!

at the end of the day I have Catra on my Shelf! Thats all I care about!

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Faction-Smaction,
    They're all Masters of The Universe figures!
    Slap that On a T-shirt and lock the thread!

ssshhheeeeesh! ka
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

OMG, you guys!

To clarify, I'm not confused how I see the affiliations, I'm confused how Mattel sees them.
    Toy-centered canon. A character's primaryclassification relates to what toyline they were initially part of. But when no toy was produced, I think the probability is that human and female characters from the She-Ra cartoon would've been made as PoP and thus fall under that faction first. Yes, there is overlap but how many Stars Wars fans identify Boba Fett as a Holiday Special character?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    As long as they appeared in the Filmation cartoon and/or vintage lien, they are fine by me! I want Flutterina, Peekablue, etc... just as much as I want Glimmer, Queen Angella, Castaspella.

Frosta is my clear favorite though. Can't go wrong with the Ice Empress.

I'm dying for Filmation characters that never had figures before too though so obviously Sea Hawk, Scorpia, etc... are a major deal. They just gotta mix up the assortment nicely.
    All I want is for them to mix it up with POP and keep things fair. I wish we could go from pure toy line concept, to Filmation character, to POP mini-comic character and so on, and not have it be such a big deal in Mattel's eyes with comments like: "We're so limited with slots."

And by fair, I mean - Mattel shouldn't single-out POP fans for requesting characters from Wave 2, core Rebellion females, etc., as they don't do this with hardcore MOTU fans.

We all know many hardcore vintage MOTU fans wouldn't be too please if Mattel gave us a 2-Pack of Horde Troopers and then basically made it out like those fans had their fill for the year.
    Last edited by Tallstar; December 16, 2011 at 07:21pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    BRAVO!!! Give The man a Flower!!
    Make it one of these, please!

-=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Yeesh...I love how people are insinuating I'm a liar for being confused at how Mattel classified who was Horde and who was PoP. Seriously, what the heck, guys?

Anyway, thank you Toyguru for the clarification. It's appreciated.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    All I want is for them to mix it up with POP and keep things fair. I wish we could go from pure toy line concept, to Filmation character, to POP mini-comic character and so on, and not have it be such a big deal in Mattel's eyes with comments like: "We're so limited with slots."

And by fair, I mean - Mattel shouldn't single-out POP fans for requesting characters from Wave 2, core Rebellion females, etc., as they don't do this with hardcore MOTU fans.

We all know many hardcore vintage MOTU fans wouldn't be too please if Mattel gave us a 2-Pack of Horde Troopers and then basically made it out like those fans had their fill for the year.
    Honestly, the limited slots hurt everyone...

Personally I'm only really interested in Vintage MOTU Toy characters that I had or wanted as a kid...

out of 24 figures released... that's about 5-6 last year. And that's including snout spout and a skeletor Varient I never liked...

2011 was NOT a good year for me...

PoP got 4 counting Swifty and Catra.... and NOT counting H. Hordak and Leech...

There just isn't enough slots to make everyone happy

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Yeesh...I love how people are insinuating I'm a liar for being confused at how Mattel classified who was Horde and who was PoP. Seriously, what the heck, guys?

Anyway, thank you Toyguru for the clarification. It's appreciated.
    Eh, not me, twas merely poking fun at the whole debacle with the silly acronyms.

P.S. Toyguru, how 'bout those GPMMWATDS?
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: Spinnerella, Angella, Mermista, Perfuma, Peekablue, Kayo, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

I hear you on this, Tallstar. But I am a fan of POP from the cartoon and not the dolls, so my want is for them to have the Filmation colors. I think Mattel's logic is on this is that most people's exposure to POP was the cartoon and most will recognize them from that. Granted if they did the toy look for the characters, people would be begging for cartoon looks and vice versa. So I guess Mattel is stuck in a can't win for losing situation, because they will never satisfy everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    Enters thread...Leaves thread.
    Wait for me!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    i want a filmation logo sticker! let it be on the ones who only appeared in the master of the universe cartoon such as zagraz (my personal grail), crackers, chef allen etc i also want an evil warriors sticker as well but not for the boxes i want them seperate so i can put them on cardstands to show the factions in my display
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Quote Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
    i want a filmation logo sticker! let it be on the ones who only appeared in the master of the universe cartoon such as zagraz (my personal grail), crackers, chef allen etc
    Yes! Sign me up for that! I've been wanting those magical, colorful letters to appear somewhere on the package/card ever since we officially got the rights!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Faction-Smaction,
    They're all Masters of The Universe figures!
    Thank you. Yes they are simply all encompassing and are ALL Masters of the Universe Classics. Plus people bringing up speculated/rumored figures is over the top, none of that has been confirmed. Too many people worry about what is or what's not coming and not enjoying what is already here.

With this in mind, you are already getting 3 members of the Great Rebellion in 2012 already, Starla, Jewelstar and Tallstar. Plus the sub exclusive is a POP female. That's already more POP in Q1 then we have done in any previous year in total.
    Very true. This needs to be remembered.

Let me start by saying that if there is a single slot for PoP in the remainder of 2012 and it's filled by Frosta...I'll be pretty much sated for 2012 on PoP heroines.

BUT....

I really don't care if Mattel doesn't care about factions, WE do (well, a lot of us I gather), and right now, PoP's main set of heroines has not yet appeared in the line and after three years those of us who like them are getting anxious. If the PoP releases were He-Man figures, then we'd have He-Man (She-Ra), Prince Adam (Adora), Teela (Bow), Battle Cat (Swift Wind), Skeletor (Catra), and Evil-Lyn (Shadow Weaver). I'm not sure who equivalents of the Star Sisters would be. He-Ro, Eldor, and Gray? Now those are all cool to get, but after three years, don't tell me it wouldn't start to frustrate fans that Man-At-Arms, Stratos, Man-E-Faces, Buzz Off, Roboto, or Fisto are still all MIA with no hint of change. I'll grant you that some people think of the Horde as PoP, but Hordak, Grizzlor, and Leech were all in the He-Man line and all appeared at least as stactions in 200x, so that's still not the same.

But like I said, for me this is just a matter of hitting the milestone of one non-She-Ra PoP heroine finally. NA only has two figures so far, however I appreciate that they aren't NA He-Man and NA Skeletor but two of the unique supporting characters that identify NA. Imagine if the NA characters released so far were NA He-Man, NA Adam, NA Skeletor, Mara, and Critta...okay, for NA that still sounds spectacular. But still, no Optikk or Flipshot in sight? I think that would start to get some understandable grumbles.
    Last edited by gbagok; December 16, 2011 at 07:56pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    *Flashes a 200X/MYP gang sign!*

Why can't we get more of the other factions we got a lot of pop already. Id like more mincomcs or NA or 200x. Enough pop already.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    *Flashes a 200X/MYP gang sign!*

Hilarious! I gotta +1 that even though I'm in the rival gang.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Honestly, the limited slots hurt everyone...

Personally I'm only really interested in Vintage MOTU Toy characters that I had or wanted as a kid...

out of 24 figures released... that's about 5-6 last year. And that's including snout spout and a skeletor Varient I never liked...

2011 was NOT a good year for me...

PoP got 4 counting Swifty and Catra.... and NOT counting H. Hordak and Leech...

There just isn't enough slots to make everyone happy
    Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    I hear you on this, Tallstar. But I am a fan of POP from the cartoon and not the dolls, so my want is for them to have the Filmation colors. I think Mattel's logic is on this is that most people's exposure to POP was the cartoon and most will recognize them from that. Granted if they did the toy look for the characters, people would be begging for cartoon looks and vice versa. So I guess Mattel is stuck in a can't win for losing situation, because they will never satisfy everyone.
    First, I want to say that I hope it didn't come off like I was yelling at anyone here.

I'm just trying to get Mattel to understand why some of their comments toward POP fans are unfair. For me, my qualms and confusion were never about the faction stickers. I could care less about that.

Basically what I'm asking for is for Mattel to treat POP like they do MOTU, instead of making excuses. If the slots are so limited, but we can have concept characters like Demo-Man and Vikor, then there should be no problem with getting some toy line versions of POP too.

I'm not saying we have to have 6 regular monthly slots every year devoted to POP, but there should be at least a 3-4 in those plus at least 1 variant and Beast/Multi-Pack item or something along those lines... and they shouldn't all be from ONE area of the world... like all Filmation characters/Filmation looks. That's boring.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I really don't care if Mattel doesn't care about factions, WE do (well, a lot of us I gather), and right now, PoP's main set of heroines has not yet appeared in the line and after three years those of us who like them are getting anxious. If the PoP releases were He-Man figures, then we'd have He-Man (She-Ra), Prince Adam (Adora), Teela (Bow), Battle Cat (Swift Wind), Skeletor (Catra), and Evil-Lyn (Shadow Weaver). I'm not sure who equivalents of the Star Sisters would be. He-Ro, Eldor, and Gray? Now those are all cool to get, but after three years, don't tell me it wouldn't start to frustrate fans that Man-At-Arms, Stratos, Man-E-Faces, Buzz Off, Roboto, or Fisto are still all MIA with no hint of change. I'll grant you that some people think of the Horde as PoP, but Hordak, Grizzlor, and Leech were all in the He-Man line and all appeared at least as stactions in 200x, so that's still not the same.

But like I said, for me this is just a matter of hitting the milestone of one non-She-Ra PoP heroine finally. NA only has two figures so far, however I appreciate that they aren't NA He-Man and NA Skeletor but two of the unique supporting characters that identify NA. Imagine if the NA characters released so far were NA He-Man, NA Adam, NA Skeletor, Mara, and Critta...okay, for NA that still sounds spectacular. But still, no Optikk or Flipshot in sight? I think that would start to get some understandable grumbles.
    I totally agree with this, but don't you remember when they first announced the subs how much complaining went on just beacuse the sub was not going to be solely vintage figures. 200X figs were taboo as well as POP and NA. So even if they do trickle in more than 2 POP for 1 year, watch all the threads that "pop" up.

First, I want to say that I hope it didn't come off like I was yelling at anyone here.

I'm just trying to get Mattel to understand why some of their comments toward POP fans are unfair. For me, my qualms and confusion were never about the faction stickers. I could care less about that.

Basically what I'm asking for is for Mattel to treat POP like they do MOTU, instead of making excuses. If the slots are so limited, but we can have concept characters like Demo-Man and Vikor, then there should be no problem with getting some toy line versions of POP too.

I'm not saying we have to have 6 regular monthly slots every year devoted to POP, but there should be at least a 3-4 in those plus at least 1 variant and Beast/Multi-Pack item or something along those lines... and they shouldn't all be from ONE area of the world... like all Filmation characters/Filmation looks. That's boring.
    Please don't think I don't want toy looks for the characters for those who want them. I have my preference and you yours. I just don't see Mattel retreading on (I use this loosely as this is not my opinion) unpopular characters just for the sake of offering the toy look as well. Besides this whole "Battleground" garbage has to stop somewhere.
    Last edited by kagamigod; December 16, 2011 at 08:10pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

TOYGURU: And as announced there is still more POP coming in the full sub 2012 line. Whether that is a monthly figure or figures or quarterly item or items it could be anything from a good guy/gal, bad guy/gal, rebellion member, filmation character or Josh from the mini comics. What you will get beyond Horde Primw has yet to be revealed. But more POP is coming in 2012.

I could faint!

I know he used his example as a light hearted "anything POP can fit" example in a rolling list line, but it is the very first confirmation that Josh could "conceivably" exist in the mythos. Scott IS the GURU!

I was not planning on asking any questions about Josh for a while, because there are so many ultra-POP fans who are wanting several of the vintage ladies revealed before they seriously consider Etheria's fringe characters. The fan selection character poll came much too early for an uprising.

Somehow, my spirit is uplifted. It's nice having so many MOTU experts to converse with here on the org, but Scott is the one piloting this roller coaster for us. His answer was well thought out and I liked his reassurance on the POP concerns.
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; December 16, 2011 at 08:20pm.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!