Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru talks about PoP in 2012

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    Please don't think I don't want toy looks for the characters for those who want them. I have my preference and you yours. I just don't see Mattel retreading on (I use this loosely as this is not my opinion) unpopular characters just for the sake of offering the toy look as well. Besides this whole "Battleground" garbage has to stop somewhere.
    It's hard to say what the FourHorsemen will sculpt (another reason PoP fans are freaking out for more than the 5 Great Rebellion members we will have by February 2012). Many people thought She-Ra 1.0 was too bland. A bunch of people that were upset we were upset, saying she was perfect...now agree that she was too bland upon getting She-Ra 2.0 and hope future PoP ladies look like her. 2.0's details are the 80's PoP toy details. I personally hope to see this trend continue in the line. She-Ra 2.0 has gone over very well.

For the BIG differences (like Castaspella, Kowl and Queen Angella) I would like to see variants of them eventually.

Also, thumbs up for PrinceAdam101's post!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; December 16, 2011 at 08:20pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    It's hard to say what the FourHorsemen will sculpt (another reason PoP fans are freaking out for more than the 5 Great Rebellion members we will have by February 2012). Many people thought She-Ra 1.0 was too bland. A bunch of people that were upset we were upset, saying she was perfect...now agree that she was too bland upon getting She-Ra 2.0 and hope future PoP ladies look like her. 2.0's details are the 80's PoP toy details. I personally hope to see this trend continue in the line. She-Ra 2.0 has gone over very well.

For the BIG differences (like Castaspella, Kowl and Queen Angella) I would like to see variants of them eventually.

Also, thumbs up for PrinceAdam101's post!
    No fighting you on this as I agree. I want Filmation colors, but if the toy version had more embelishments like She-Ra 2.0 aka BP She-Ra, I am all for it to make them less "bland". I am so happy the 4HM took notes from Emiliano on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    TOYGURU: And as announced there is still more POP coming in the full sub 2012 line. Whether that is a monthly figure or figures or quarterly item or items it could be anything from a good guy/gal, bad guy/gal, rebellion member, filmation character or Josh from the mini comics. What you will get beyond Horde Primw has yet to be revealed. But more POP is coming in 2012.

I could faint!

I know he used his example as a light hearted "anything POP can fit" example in a rolling list line, but it is the very first confirmation that Josh could "conceivably" exist in the mythos. Scott IS the GURU!

I was not planning on asking any questions about Josh for a while, because there are so many ultra-POP fans who are wanting several of the vintage ladies revealed before they seriously consider Etheria's fringe characters. The fan selection character poll came much too early for an uprising.

Somehow, my spirit is uplifted. It's nice having so many MOTU experts to converse with here on the org, but Scott is the one piloting this roller coaster for us. His answer was well thought out and I liked his reassurance on the POP concerns.
    I think Josh has a decent shot at least at a Mo-Larr style inclusion. I could totally see him being packed with Kowl as an SDCC exclusive for example (probably not until PoP's anniversary though).

The way I've made sense of it is this way:

How would any of the characters have been released in the vintage line? Filmation does not make a character that appeared on the She-Ra show POP. Does that mean that Hordak, Rattlor, Tung Lashor and Snout Spout are POP? No. The She-Ra show was used to promote BOTH MOTU and POP toy lines - so you have to look at which line the character was released in.

So, the Horde characters Hordak, Leech, Mantenna, etc are MOTU characters. Catra has the dubious honor of being BOTH a Horde character AND a POP character - she is a Horde member in the mini comics, even though only Horde Troopers showed up in the mini comics. Entrapta obviously falls in this character.

Shadow Weaver (and this is educated speculation) would most likely have been released in the MOTU line, along with Scorpia and Octavia. Octavia was actually designed for the MOTU line, and SW and Scorpia do not fit the pretty doll model that is apparent in the POP vintage line. It would have made sense to provide Hordak with his own "Evil-Lyn". Also, villains were not popular in the POP line - we don't want girls to be bad, do we?

Horde Prime, IF he had a figure released would have been a MOTU Horde figure.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

I never really thought about this much until I read this thread! HA!

Thank you Toyguru for your responses, you brought light to the issue.

They're gonna mess with everyone and realease a MOTUC POP 11 pack in 2013 and put it in the sub so they can do them all at once and charge everyone $242 for them..plus a regular sub figure $22 .... $264 in one month, and $40 in shipping because it will be the largest MOTUC pack ever sold plus the single monthly figure, did I mention it will be in December, just in time for Christmas?..and because of that the sub will be $800 in 2013...Then they'll be like here's you friggin POP..take that....

Then make you wait for the last few in 2015.

I do want to see the other girls, and what they'd look like...I like Castaspella from what pics I've seen of her....I don't mind buying POP...I actually like the Girls of MOTUC...now where's my calendar....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 16, 2011 at 10:18pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

yay for more POP in 2012!!!!

I think we have gotten a decent amount of POP lately and I'm happy about that. I just really want to get the ball rolling on the main members of the great rebellion. To go so long without Glimmer is an injustice. And the Star Sisters are amazing (love them) but we really need the 15 remaining vintage POP figures to start coming or they'll never making it through them all. Shadow Weaver is a great figure and I'm glad we are getting her but I wouldnt mind them holding off on other Filmation characters (Sea Hawk, Scorpia) until they give us some vintage girls. To get more of them before Glimmer just wouldnt seem right.

And to consider Horde Prime a POP figure...makes my head spin.

But I genuinely happy with the upcoming POP girls and the recent additions, so I cant complain. But one or more POP in 2012 would make me a very happy camper. Especially if it was one of the more prominent members of the great rebellion that also had a vintage figure.

More POP in 2012 is fantastic and I'm hoping well see Frosta and Glimmer. The bottom line is this, the line has been going for years and years now and my Great Rebellion shelf has 3 She-Ra variants (Adora, She-Ra, BP She-Ra), Swifty and Bow.

NO Glimmer, NO Castaspella, NO Queen Angella, NO Mermista, NO Frosta, NO Netossa = not good enough. Get these POP characters into the line. It's not like there not popular fan requested characters because they are!

I'm very interested to see what other POP stuff comes in 2012 and I hope it's not Sea Hawk (not yet anyway).
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Dragstor : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : The Twiggets

I'm glad there's not more PoP as is. Too many next year. I am glad though Toyguru tries to answer questions for people, though it usually just makes people more mad. Probably be better off if he didn't.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    How about this:

Cartra is a POP figure but also a member of he Horde.

Castaspella is a POP figure but also abet of the Great Rebellion.

We use the POP sticker on POP figures unless the belong to another group that also has a team sticker. (so Catra or SW would get their POP sticker trumped by a Horde sticker).

We went with a POP sticker in lieu of an all new "GR sticker" to promote the brand equity of the POP logo. But we did discuss both options for how to sticker. In the end we went with a method we thought would promote the equity of the Horde and POP logos the best. It wasn't designed to confuse as much as it may have!
    You haven't confused us. I think you may have confused yourself a bit, though.

In the response in the OP, you are contradicting yourself. "PoP has seen more than Horde, NA..." but then you say you include Horde in how many PoP we have gotten. Does not compute.

I also really wish you would stop referring to Star Sisters as "wow you guys got 3 figures", unless you add to that statement, "that no one really ever asked for, especially with all the missing members of the Great Rebellion".

It's going into the fourth year of the line, and we have only seen ONE Member of the Great Rebellion - Bow. Two if you count Adora (but that would be cheesy, as she is a Super-A-Lister).

You keep trying to convince us that we have what we are asking for. We don't. And it's not that complicated - we want to start seeing members of the Great Rebellion. You started with the one sole male member (literally and figuratively, LOL). Why the constant word games? We want Glimmer, Frosta, Mermista...you know what we are talking about. I can't figure out what bothers me more - that we haven't gotten them, or we get word games and run-around as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Very true. This needs to be remembered.
    But it's not true.

They are prototypes, and although mentioned here and there were NOT fan demanded.

We are not getting 3 PoP figures, we are getting 3 Prototypes. That no one really significantly asked for.

I don't mind them, but they are not the characters fans are talking about. It's like having breakfast and asking for bacon with your meal and getting sausage, being told "Well, it's a meat product".
    Last edited by EtherianChronicles; December 16, 2011 at 11:41pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    You haven't confused us. I think you may have confused yourself a bit,

It's going into the fourth year of the line, and we have only seen ONE Member of the Great Rebellion - Bow. Two if you count Adora (but that would be cheesy, as she is a Super-A-Lister).

You keep trying to convince us that we have what we are asking for. We don't. And it's not that complicated - we want to start seeing members of the Great Rebellion. You started with the one sole male member (literally and figuratively, LOL). Why the constant word games? We want Glimmer, Frosta, Mermista...you know what we are talking about. I can't figure out what bothers me more - that we haven't gotten them, or we get word games and run-around as to why.

But it's not true.

They are prototypes, and although mentioned here and there were NOT fan demanded.

We are not getting 3 PoP figures, we are getting 3 Prototypes. That no one really significantly asked for.

I don't mind them, but they are not the characters fans are talking about. It's like having breakfast and asking for bacon with your meal and getting sausage, being told "Well, it's a meat product".
    Good points! The real issue isn't 2012, it's 2009 through 2012 without a significant POP presence. Several Adora variants, the one male (two males with Sea Hawk) in the whole subline, and the villains that you're actually grouping into the Masters vintage line via logos. We're not even fighting for the obscure or over girly characters like Perfuma, Flutterina, Spinnerella, Sweet Bee; we just want a decent representation from the very well known and popular She-Ra cartoon and toyline like Glimmer, Angella, Castaspella, Kowl, Peakable, Mermista. Big, fairly non controversial characters that should have had some form of representation after 4 years.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Uh, seeing as how the Horde are She-Ra villians, why would they not be considered the POP line?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Uh, seeing as how the Horde are She-Ra villians, why would they not be considered the POP line?
    Good question. Let's go back in time to 1986 and ask Mattel.

Also, nobody EVER considers the Horde to be PoP until PoP fans start clamoring for representation. Then, suddenly, we are told that we've "had PLENTY of representation, because, um, er, well....oh! The Horde! Yes, that's right! You have the Horde!"

The Horde is a scapegoat and a poor justification for the lack of Rebel presence in this line.
    Last edited by bamf1980; December 17, 2011 at 12:26am.

specifically the bolded part. no where did clawdeen state rumors were keeping her up at night. these cute jokey responses are really not needed.
    I don't think ToyGuru was making light of people's concerns, as much as trying to break the tension. Let's face it - if he didn't put those smiley faces in his replies, folks would take everything he says twice as seriously.

I'm glad to see him comment specifically on POP. It's important that we stay on his radar especially as the line moves forward. That said, I think we're going to get what we're going to get. I'm not expecting this line to still be around in eight years, allowing for all the following:

*deep inhale* Castaspella, Castaspella vintage style, Huntara, Glimmer, Glimmer vintage style, Kowl, Madamme Razz, Broom, Angella, Angella vintage style, General Sunder, Sea Hawk, Frosta, Hordak Filmation style, Scorpia, Octavia, Sweet Bee, Peekablue, Entrapa, Loo-Kee, Mermista, Spirit and Adora 2.0 (cause I'm NOT giving up on her!)

Seeing as how they're also trying to do Snake Men and NA and obscure comic book ciphers , that list is not likely to all get made. I'd love it if it would, so it's great to remind him that POP stuff is in high demand...

....BUT....

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    no where did clawdeen state rumors were keeping her up at night.

Exactly
    I think they keep SCOTT up at night

Though, he should be glad of them. They keep people talking and excited!

I DO think Scott is aware of the importance and support for characters like Angella, Glimmer, Mermista, Castaspella, and Frosta, and even Sweet Bee, Entrapta, Perfuma, Double Trouble, Spinnerella, Peekablue, Netossa, and Flutterina.

At least, I'd HOPE he's aware of the support.

For example, I'd hope he wouldn't bump a character like Glimmer in favor of another male Rebeliion character just because the Star Sisters didn't receive a resounding cheer of support across the board (even though they did at SDCC).

Madame Razz, Kowl, and Loo-Kee fall into another category of specialized pack-ins... I guess.
    Last edited by bcrduke; December 17, 2011 at 12:42am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    If new Snakemen characters were introduced on the PoP cartoon, would they be PoP too? *shrugs*
    OK, now I'm confused... are Tung/Tung Lashor and Rattlor PoP, Horde or Snakemen, since they made their Filmation debut in the PoP series...?

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I think they keep SCOTT up at night
    Last edited by Novelty; December 17, 2011 at 12:38am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    Horde and PoP are all the same to me:

As far as I'm concerned PoP has been:

She-Ra
    Princess Adora
    Bow
    Catra
    Swift Wind
    Snout Spout
    Starla
    Jewelstar
    Tallstar
    Glory Bird
    Hordak
    Grizzlor
    Leech
    Catra
    Shadow Weaver

That's s great start if you compare to 200x where we got She-Ra and Hordak only, and one is a staction, the other a redeco. Granted we're missing biggies like Glimmer, Frosta, Mermista, Scorpia, etc. but it's not like a PoP fan doesn't want a Shadow Weaver. I mean seriously... SHADOW WEAVER!

Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar
    You know... I don't even care how he's figuring. I want to state *here and now* that I am not a Matty apologist, (and anyone who has been witness to some of my other verbal mushroom clouds about the mismanagement of Mattel can attest to this), but I could give a fetid pair of dingo's kidneys what is released when. I don't pick apart the different toy lines and have the "This one goes here, that one goes there..." mentality. They are simply ALL a part of the Master mythos in some way, shape, of form.

She-Ra was on He-man's show a bunch of times, and He-man showed up a LOT on She-Ra's show. So now is He-man mostly a master and sometimes a member of the great rebellion? What about She-Ra? Is she considered a Master? How do we count them? Forget that they're core characters identified to their respective shows... how do we count them?

It sounds ludicrous when you put it that way, doesn't it?

I don't want to spark any ire here, I'm just making a point. They're all part of the same storyline, and when they come out matters less to me as long as they COME out before the line's demise, which, given it's present success doesn't seem to be any time in the foreseeable future.

So, whatever the faction, sculpt them WELL, pay attention to QUALITY CONTROL, and send them out ON TIME. If they can do that, that's good enough for me!

Long live Masters of the Universe Classics... the all-encompassing storyline of the House of Randor siblings and their universal battle against evil!

Quote Originally Posted by Agostinho View Post
    Horde and PoP are all the same to me:

As far as I'm concerned PoP has been:

She-Ra
    Princess Adora
    Bow
    Catra
    Swift Wind
    Snout Spout6
    Starla
    Jewelstar
    Tallstar
    Glory Bird
    Hordak
    Grizzlor
    Leech
    Catra
    Shadow Weaver

That's s great start if you compare to 200x where we got She-Ra and Hordak only, and one is a staction, the other a redeco. Granted we're missing biggies like Glimmer, Frosta, Mermista, Scorpia, etc. but it's not like a PoP fan doesn't want a Shadow Weaver. I mean seriously... SHADOW WEAVER!
    I agree. Ive always counted the horde part of POP. Yes I know leech and a few other figures showed up in figure form, but they were pretty much exclusive to the she-ra cartoon. Counting the horde members, the two she-ras, swiftwind, bow, star sisters, etc. I think the POP fans should be pretty happy with their collection so far. I think if anyone should be upset, it should be the NA fans. They only have 2 figures.

He-Man and She-Ra I am an equal fan of.
    I mean...in the end the line was started for MOTU, so any inclusion of POP is GREAT!
    However, that shinny new WOW factor goes away and the freakout sets in "OMG we have to get these characters NOW before this line goes away".

So far as 200X & NA...this may not be popular, just my opinion, I don't think any of this line should be spent on either. I certainly get that some think none should be spent on POP.

I just think fans should be realalistic...Mattel is going to make more of whatever brings in more money. If it would be NA we would be seeing more NA figures.

I think the line really is about kids of the 80's having this modern collector figure...just like before He-Man made $ so they made one "for girls" to bring in more. It worked in the past and I think they understand it would be foolish not to do it again.

Now...the next POP figure should be MERMISTA!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Now...the next POP figure should be MERMISTA!!!!!!!!
    Well, that is something that would make many peoples' year!!

As for the different sources, I agree that vintage MOTU, the mini-comics, POP and Filmation are probably the most bankable sources of character choice.

BUT... NA and anything else MOTU-related is special too.

I can only speak from my perspective, but each incarnation of MOTU is now equally special to me because of MOTUC.

I don't know... I just love it all. They are all top sellers to me.

And as much as this will shock EVERYONE...

The little spoiler I heard today about Spector, makes me like him JUST a TINY TINY bit.

But ONLY because MOTU makes his inclusion in the mythos better than the reason for his creation.

SO as far as POP goes... I think there is a strong base supporting POP, and then there are a LOT of converts too, because of the 4H, and because of the same reason Spector is growing on me.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Id like to avoid another 'Star sisters' style snafu, by knowing for 100% certain that the 4h have seen ALL versions before sculpting/painting!

especially with Double Trouble, Id love to think that she could come in Magenta,Blue and Silver like the u-matics!

I love her Vintage Green, But -IMO- her proto colors were superior, and since shes a 'clean slate' in regards to Cartoon versions, maybe the alternate Colors could help sell her as a Villian again!

...well I can dream!

ka

But NO Horde Bat sculpted on her!!!!!

k
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Agree with Toyguru....we should'nt be unhappy for getting less pop figures,actually we got 4 pop figure for the beginning of the 2012 year and that's means more than others factions(snake men,na,200x,comics)
    No matter if they are from Great rebbelion,evil horde and whatever...
    they are all pop.

Quote Originally Posted by carafa View Post
    Agree with Toyguru....we should'nt be unhappy for getting less pop figures,actually we got 4 pop figure for the beginning of the 2012 year and that's means more than others factions(snake men,na,200x,comics)
    No matter if they are from Great rebbelion,evil horde and whatever...
    they are all pop.

No they aren't. That's not correct. The Horde were villains on the POP cartoon show, and were originally developed to be used as She-Ra's main villain, but they were sold as MOTU figures.

Leech was not a vintage POP toy.

The Star Sisters appeared on one episode of the Filmation She-Ra cartoon, and were prototypes that never made it to production in the vintage POP line. So, they are as He-Ro and Gygor are to the vintage MOTU line.

Shadow Weaver was not a vintage POP toy. She was only on the She-Ra cartoon... so, if she is POP, then the first time she'd be sold under the "Princess of Power" banner would be in this line, and she will have a Horde Sticker.

Bubble Power She-Ra was a POP figure.

Frankly, if we get Angella and she is PURELY the Filmation design, then she isn't POP either... at least not vintage POP.. she's MOTUC POP.

It's all semantics.

For people that don't want icky girl characters redesigned and redefined in an amazing way in the MOTUC line, there has been "too much" POP.

For those who don't think that the female characters from the POP toy line are a liability, there hasn't been enough representation.

What's actually kind of cool about this line is that characters like Leech and Snout Spout can be considered MOTU/POP or POP/Horde, etc.

Maybe the stickers were a bad idea?

Heroic Warrior
    So does this mean you will bump Frosta Scott since everyone knows she's the POP slot you mentioned?