Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru talks about PoP in 2012

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    You really think that's fair?

The difference is most of the stars of MOUT/He-Man did come out before any obscure or atypical figures. The biggest surprise for them was getting some figures earlier, like Hordak before Man-At-Arms and Scareglow in the first year (approx). New-to-plastic characters were confined to exclusives and bonus items for that first year. That gave us a pretty solid foundation of star characters in the line before the experimenting began.

For PoP though, we're seeing atypical characters like the token male and previously unreleased figures before the heroines after many years of the line going already. I think if we had gotten Glimmer or Castaspella or Frosta instead of Bow, you would not hear nearly as much from PoP fans now about wanting another GR member in 2012 besides what else has been announced. I mean it wouldn't be silent, just as you still hear fans wanting Ram Man even though they're already getting two heroic warriors and one He-Man variant (and five vintage he-man figure slots in total). I'm still not convinced this isn't part of the release strategy to build up hype in this aspect of the total line.
    MOTU is going to get all of the advantages. This line won't be fair because of that. They get a lionshare of the yearly figure count, first beasts, first vehicles, etc.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the Star Sisters don't count as POP releases. That seems like impatience when it should be a celebration of adding more POP characters to the shelf.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

I wouldn't go as far as to say the Star Sisters don't count as POP releases. That seems like impatience when it should be a celebration of adding more POP characters to the shelf.
    They definitely count, but I would be celebrating more had they turned out looking better than they did! I'm still reserving final judgement until I have them in hand... but I keep thinking they could've gotten some more TLC in the detail, paint scheme, and accessories department for that hefty $60 price tag! Mostly I'm celebrating the fact that there's a three-pack at all... if it sells out, hopefully that means they'll try it again- maybe with something like a Rokkon, Stonedar, Granita three-pack, or Blade, Saurod, Gwildor... or something crazy fun like NA He-Man, NA Skeletor, and NA Sorceress three-pack. I definitely like the concept of getting three figures all at once, and they don't take the character slot of the particular month in which they're released. That's four figures all at once!

MOTU is going to get all of the advantages. This line won't be fair because of that. They get a lionshare of the yearly figure count, first beasts, first vehicles, etc.

They count about as much as He-Ro and Eldor count toward the heroic warriors, at least in my book. It's very fun to get the prototype figures but that doesn't really do anything to alleviate the need/desire for a few heroic figures from the vintage line.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Some are saying Catra doesn't count. What next?
    Since The Evil Horde is being counted as a separate sub-group, in my opinion, all Horde members should count as that sub-section.

Speaking of sub-sections, how come MOTU is allowed to have so many and PoP isn't allowed to have ANY? MOTU always seems to get broken down into the following:

Heroic Masters
    Evil Warriors
    The Evil Horde
    Snakemen
    Movie Figures
    Energy Zoids
    Mini-Comics
    UK Comics
    Filmation

...and everyone (including Mattel) is okay with it. PoP is only allowed to be PoP, I guess...

It should be able to be broken down as follows:

Toy Design Heroines/Heroes
    Toy Design Villains (Catra variants, Entrapta, Double Trouble)
    Mini-Comics
    UK Comics
    Filmation (Styleguide pretty much falls into this category now)

All just my opinion, of course. If anyone wonders why I broke the toy designs into separate categories, it's because some toy PoP is significantly different looking in design and colour than the cartoon appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    They definitely count, but I would be celebrating more had they turned out looking better than they did! I'm still reserving final judgement until I have them in hand... but I keep thinking they could've gotten some more TLC in the detail, paint scheme, and accessories department for that hefty $60 price tag!
    I agree with this! I have been greatly anticipating the Star Sisters for so many years and was out of control with excitement when the early 2012 schedule was leaked on MattyCollector before it was supposed to. I nearly died of disappointment and shock when I saw they were the poster versions, though. It's a good thing I wasn't there in person. I think I yelled "OMG, no! What did they DO?!"

The FourHorsemen did a great job of sculpting based on the source material that was chosen...I just never liked those versions of the Star Sisters. Toy designs, colours and accessories all the way!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; December 19, 2011 at 06:39pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I agree with Brian. I think it's best to move forward from what happened. His original post was pretty much borderline hate crime before it was edited. No good can come from talking about it again.
    Sorry but all this talk about 'What Eamon said' is making me really curious and wanting to know what was actually said! I missed it

Hate crime? haha It was about toys.

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Veebs View Post
    I love just about every aspect of MOTU, but I agree with this 100%. Those things are the juice that keeps things REALLY interesting. I want my MOTUC collection to be so big it breaks my shelves. These concepts are what is going to get us there, and I hope FilMation is mined as deeply as possible. So many awesome characters that will look amazing adapted into this style. I say that 100% to the FilMation haters too.
    I agree.
    ... And this is coming from a Filmation hater (sort of), and a non fan of POP & NA (I don't hate POP & NA, just wasn't exposed to it as a kid).
    I may not want every figure, but I hope they all get made.... maybe even Josh!
    I want to be won over by the designs of the figures from all aspects of MOTU, the way I was with Bow and Catra & the pics of Slushhead.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax
    Ho, ho, ho from the 200X camp!
    AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    it is weird to see so many PoP fans saying star sisters don't count as PoP.
    They do... so does Catra... sort of... in MOTUC, Catra is Horde, especially because she's in her Horde Filmation outfit... but she's a crossover character - IN MOTUC.

As for The Star Sisters, they are POP, but:

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    They count about as much as He-Ro and Eldor count toward the heroic warriors, at least in my book. It's very fun to get the prototype figures but that doesn't really do anything to alleviate the need/desire for a few heroic figures from the vintage line.
    This is how I feel. It would be awesme to have Double Trouble, Sweet Bee, and Glimmer to stand with She-Ra, Bow, and Swift Wind.

That's not asking too much, guys. A few more secondary characters that POP fans have NOSTALGIC attachment to...

All the other era's fans talk about nostalgia all the time, but I guess it's not ok for POP fans to have nostalgia for specific things in the POP line? It's all or nothing?

I just don't get that.

If you are a vintage only fan, and you had:

Adam
    He-Man
    Battle Armor He-Man
    Teela
    Battle Cat
    He-Ro
    Vikor
    Captain Glenn

vs.

Skeletor
    Battle Armor Skeletor
    Evil-Lyn
    Beast Man
    Mer-Man
    Tri-Klops

You, too, would probably feel like there were some characters lacking from your Heroic Warriors.

It would be bizarre.

I just don't get the rush to flood the line with vintage MOTU figures if they are supposedly so important to the survival of the line. Why not spread them out? Just a little.

Once characters like Adora and Optikk were planned for 2010, it was obvious that Mattel was going for a long-term line.

At the end of 2010, why couldn't Roboto or Buzz-Off have been postponed for Glimmer or Frosta?

The argument that Mattel was waiting for a new female buck isn't a bad one, but I am not sure that really affected the planning. I just think that the 4H and Scott have their typical fan-boy favorites. That's to be expected... but Scott SHOULD be doing what the brand manager / marketing person is supposed to do: build a stable product by catering to ALL of the customer base. WE are the customer base. We don't ALL want only vintage MOTU... in fact, I still argue that the bulk of us want EVERYTHING.

MOTUC is amazing because it includes everything.

In any case... they just need to suck it up and give us some powerful chicks.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    they just need to suck it up and give us some powerful chicks.

Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

As I said in an earlier post, we had a 12 hour window during the Black Friday sale to see how the figures were selling, and most everything was doing well, so there's no reason to give MOTU all the advantages. One of my biggest problems with Mattel at the moment, is that they're treating the POP fan base like there's only a handful of us or something when in all actuality we're a huge part of this line... That and the fact that they don't/barely pay attention to our input.

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    One of my biggest problems with Mattel at the moment, is that they're treating the POP fan base like there's only a handful of us or something when in all actuality we're a huge part of this line... That and the fact that they don't/barely pay attention to our input.
    Of course they only think there's a handful of you guys...after all there's only 200 of us in total on the entire site.
    Judging from what we've seen from their 'World Class' research, they probably think the only POP fans here are you, bcrduke, and Darkspecter.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I'm still not convinced this isn't part of the release strategy to build up hype in this aspect of the total line.
    Me too. But maybe that's the optimist in me. I suspect they're going to rely more on popular Great Rebellion characters to help prolong the life of the line.

some are saying adora, she-ra, bp she-ra, bow, swiftwind don't count. some say only original card back accurate figures should count as PoP. if that's the case, then we have no figures of any faction because all of the figures are at least somewhat different from their card back art.

some are saying adora, she-ra, bp she-ra, bow, swiftwind don't count. some say only original card back accurate figures should count as PoP. if that's the case, then we have no figures of any faction because all of the figures are at least somewhat different from their card back art.
    Dude, you're twisting this argument...
    Adora, She-Ra, BP She-Ra = Same character...
    Aside her, the Rebellion consists of Bow and Swift Wind...
    That, a Great Rebellion does not Make...

It's like having Adam (Without Orko), He-Man, Battle Cat, Teela and Battle Armor He-Man...
    That the Heroic Warriors it does not make... No Duncan, no Orko, No Man-E-Faces, or Stratos... PoP fans want the PoP counterparts to those Key Heroic Warriors.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    In the end only sales will decide, which are the most demanded figures...

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Dude, you're twisting this argument...
    Adora, She-Ra, BP She-Ra = Same character...
    Aside her, the Rebellion consists of Bow and Swift Wind...
    That, a Great Rebellion does not Make...

It's like having Adam (Without Orko), He-Man, Battle Cat, Teela and Battle Armor He-Man...
    That the Heroic Warriors it does not make... No Duncan, no Orko, No Man-E-Faces, or Stratos... PoP fans want the PoP counterparts to those Key Heroic Warriors.
    1) that's not the argument i was making...i get that you want your cast of rebellion characters. i was making the point that someone said that there are ZERO PoP characters.

2) that said, we are talking figures, not characters. adora, she-ra, and bp she-ra may all be the same character, but i had to pay for three figures so they count as three figures.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    As one of the two handfuls that wants NA figures in a higher manner than 3 every 3-4 years that will never happen
    Exactly. I have to say that the fans that are heavily into POP have no where near the struggle that us NA fans have had. Lol.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Ever the voice of truth, Jubilation!

Seriously, releasing Sea Hawk so soon would be a bad idea. We need to get a handful of GR POP ladies in the roster.
    I couldn't agree with you more (on both counts)

One of my biggest problems with Mattel at the moment, is that they're treating the POP fan base like there's only a handful of us or something when in all actuality we're a huge part of this line... That and the fact that they don't/barely pay attention to our input.
    Absolutely!
    Last edited by Jubilation; December 19, 2011 at 09:00pm.

Heroic Warrior
    As I said in an earlier post, we had a 12 hour window during the Black Friday sale to see how the figures were selling, and most everything was doing well, so there's no reason to give MOTU all the advantages. One of my biggest problems with Mattel at the moment, is that they're treating the POP fan base like there's only a handful of us or something when in all actuality we're a huge part of this line... That and the fact that they don't/barely pay attention to our input.
    In reality there are very few posters who complain constantly about the lack of POP. There are however quite a few who accept and like what has been offered so far, and accept the fact that when and if they get to the others it will happen when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    Of course they only think there's a handful of you guys...after all there's only 200 of us in total on the entire site.
    Judging from what we've seen from their 'World Class' research, they probably think the only POP fans here are you, bcrduke, and Darkspecter.
    It was never said that there were only 200 members on the site, just that about 200 were really vocal about Illumina. Which to me would seem about right, while I am interested in getting her in the line I don't have to have her today.

And I don't think they think that they are the only POP fans (and I know you were semi joking), but they are probably the 3 most vocal?

1) that's not the argument i was making...i get that you want your cast of rebellion characters. i was making the point that someone said that there are ZERO PoP characters.

2) that said, we are talking figures, not characters. adora, she-ra, and bp she-ra may all be the same character, but i had to pay for three figures so they count as three figures.
    missed the figures part... but up until December 2011 we've only gotten 3 PoP (rebellion) characters... She-Ra, Bow, and Swift Wind... (and 5 figures counting the alter-ego/variants of She-Ra)
    Which still is Too little compared to what Vintage MOTU and a bit less than what 200X have so far... (Obviously NA is in a worse position, but this doesn't involve that era that needs more representation) 3 1/2 years and all we have in PoP is 5 figures? 6 If Catra doesn't count as Evil Horde... Zero might be an exaggeration, but 6 compared to 50+ Figures that are considered "Vintage MOTU" (including Marlena, He-Ro and other figures that complement the 80s MOTU roster, since Adora is required to be added to the POP roster) makes things look a tad off, dontch'a think?

Not saying that we should get a whole year of PoP, but we Need that Mattel churns out some more PoP and NA soon...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    I can understand why most of POP fans are upset about some core characters still not be made. It's like having Rio Blast before Man at Arms...

But it could be worse. MOTUC could be MOTU-only. Without NA, POP, POG, 200x, etc.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. But imagine, what you would think...

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I can understand why most of POP fans are upset about some core characters still not be made. It's like having Rio Blast before Man at Arms...

But it could be worse. MOTUC could be MOTU-only. Without NA, POP, POG, 200x, etc.

I wouldnt be collecting! so I wouldnt Be here!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=Darkspecter;2906882]Since The Evil Horde is being counted as a separate sub-group, in my opinion, all Horde members should count as that sub-section.

Speaking of sub-sections, how come MOTU is allowed to have so many and PoP isn't allowed to have ANY? MOTU always seems to get broken down into the following:

Heroic Masters
    Evil Warriors
    The Evil Horde
    Snakemen
    Movie Figures
    Energy Zoids
    Mini-Comics
    UK Comics
    Filmation

...and everyone (including Mattel) is okay with it. PoP is only allowed to be PoP, I guess...

It should be able to be broken down as follows:

Toy Design Heroines/Heroes
    Toy Design Villains (Catra variants, Entrapta, Double Trouble)
    Mini-Comics
    UK Comics
    Filmation (Styleguide pretty much falls into this category now)

In my world, no offense, but it's Masters vs Snakes vs Evil Warriors and then it's POP/Great Rebellion vs The Horde, however in the grand scheme of things it's good guys vs bad guys. NA, and concept characters do not exist in my cannon, which is why I sell them. I go by the shows I watched as a kid, and everything else is insignificant to me imho. As far as 200x or filmation go, I put them in their respective factions, i.e. Melaktha with masters, shokoti with Skeletor (sort of) and scorpia with the horde.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post

I wouldn't be collecting the figures if that was the case.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    But I think there's more reading between the lines that needs to be done.

Of course the POP characters that were available over the black friday weekend sold well. Those are very high profile POP characters.

I think most of the "core" POP characters (i.e. those from SOTS and a handful of notable others) are going to sell well. They are the characters that people that are outside of the utmost die-hard POP fan base are going to recognize and probably want. If anything Mattel is probably trying to space those out over time because they are so high profile and I think can have more of an appeal to a large male audience. I could have realistically seem the likes of Angella, Glimmer, and Frosta being part of the Classic MOTU line (provided that they were based more on their toon appearances).

But some characters ( i.e. Perfuma, Mermista, Peekablue) are going to be tougher sells to an adult audience made up primarily of straight males. And largely for the same reason that it would be tough to sell that same audience Barbie Dolls. I know you guys hate this term, but at their core, these are very "girly" characters. Even in their cartoon incarnations (from what I've seen of them), they give off that kind of "vibe". They don't by default feel like they could realistically be warriors engaged in an epic war next to the MOTU characters (which by contrast, some of the more core POP characters can). Instead they feel more like potential Barbie variants (in fact I seem to recall there being a Mermaid Barbie back in the day.... I saw the damn commercial for that thing so many times that I could sadly sing the song from it right now ).

And that's fundamentally the problem. The sheer, raw, bare bones concepts for these particular characters feel like something created for a girls fashion doll line. There isn't as much of a gray area like there are with some other characters where they could go either way.

Honestly, I would almost expect them to sit there not selling all that well much like the Goddess did during her original release. The only reason I could see them possibly selling out quickly is them being included in the subscription combined with Mattel's apparent decision to greatly reduce the amount of figures sold outside of the subs. But on an even playing field of picking and choosing, they are going to simply be much harder sells for the bulk of the audience collecting this line.

I mean no disrespect in this. It's just an honest observation on the matter at hand.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"