Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru talks about PoP in 2012

Heroic Warrior
    Am I the only one here who fears getting Shower Power or Scratching Sound Catra before we get any of the other PoP figures?!

Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    Am I the only one here who fears getting Shower Power or Scratching Sound Catra before we get any of the other PoP figures?!
    Haha! It's a distinct possibility...purely because of the lack of A-Listers they have to produce as variants...whereas there are literally hundreds of original characters available...I wonder what will happen to the variants model when they all dry up?

Think about it: we're practically guaranteed to get a He-Man and a Skeletor variant per year, which leaves two slots open. The only others that had variants in the vintage lines were:

Hordak
    She-Ra
    Catra

Granted, there were the Snakemen variants in the 200x line (Stratos and Mekaneck, plus MAA and Orko) and the later NA variants, but I can't see any of them selling well. Others that seem like popular suggestions are:

King Randor (Filmation)
    King/Captain Randor (200x)
    Teenage Prince Adam
    200x Evil-Lyn

Add to that maybe a 200x King Hiss and Marlena in a white Rainbow Explorer costume...

So I think it's quite likely we'll see a POP variant of She-Ra or Catra some time soon, but I'd rather they focus on other members of the Great Rebellion first.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Haha! It's a distinct possibility...purely because of the lack of A-Listers they have to produce as variants...whereas there are literally hundreds of original characters available...I wonder what will happen to the variants model when they all dry up?

Think about it: we're practically guaranteed to get a He-Man and a Skeletor variant per year, which leaves two slots open. The only others that had variants in the vintage lines were:

Hordak
    She-Ra
    Catra

Granted, there were the Snakemen variants in the 200x line (Stratos and Mekaneck, plus MAA and Orko) and the later NA variants, but I can't see any of them selling well. Others that seem like popular suggestions are:

King Randor (Filmation)
    King/Captain Randor (200x)
    Teenage Prince Adam
    200x Evil-Lyn

Add to that maybe a 200x King Hiss and Marlena in a white Rainbow Explorer costume...

So I think it's quite likely we'll see a POP variant of She-Ra or Catra some time soon, but I'd rather they focus on other members of the Great Rebellion first.
    Don't forget:

Too Tall Hoove
    Hook'Em Flogg
    Spinfist Hydron
    Missile Armor Icarius

but...ehrm... we need those characters first before they can do their variants...
    Last edited by MoViEfReAk; December 17, 2011 at 11:04am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Look, I haven't been happy with a lot of ToyGuru's responses (or in some cases non-responses) lately, but I don't think he was being snarky this time because 'keeping you up at night' is an expression that means someone is stressed, and I think Clawdeen's post could easily be taken with a stressed tone. And I think it's pretty impressive that he chose this question to talk so much about POP because if I were him and I started to read ANY question that started "There are quite a few rumours saying" I would stop reading RIGHT then and there. I mean, she wasn't just asking him to clear up RUMORS, for God's sake, but INTERNET RUMORS. If someone's getting worked up about those, that's no one's fault but their own.
    i didn't say he was being snarky. i think he was trying to be cute and joke around, but it never goes well for him. he should just stick to the straight dope.

Quote Originally Posted by Agostinho View Post
    Horde and PoP are all the same to me:

As far as I'm concerned PoP has been:

She-Ra
    Princess Adora
    Bow
    Catra
    Swift Wind
    Snout Spout
    Starla
    Jewelstar
    Tallstar
    Glory Bird
    Hordak
    Grizzlor
    Leech
    Catra
    Shadow Weaver
    That's the problem with PoP's perception in the line. MOTU fans are quick to complain when it looks like the ratio of heroic to evil warriors is getting unbalanced, but when PoP fans even mention under representation, all of our figures are lumped together as a way of trying to pacify us. And most MOTU fans, whether they like him or not, don't want to let the PoP fans have Snout Spout. And Mattel certainly didn't label him that way.

The rule of thumb should be, if a vintage purist wants it, it's not considered PoP for our purposes of wanting greater representation. That included any member of the Horde that was in the original line, and any heroic warrior that was in the vintage MOTU toy line but appeared exclusively on PoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    I agree. Ive always counted the horde part of POP. Yes I know leech and a few other figures showed up in figure form, but they were pretty much exclusive to the she-ra cartoon. Counting the horde members, the two she-ras, swiftwind, bow, star sisters, etc. I think the POP fans should be pretty happy with their collection so far. I think if anyone should be upset, it should be the NA fans. They only have 2 figures.
    Oh, come now. You can't count the Star Sisters for the PoP fans but say that the NA fans only have two figures. Slush Head's on his way, and the Star Sisters haven't been released yet. Don't fluff up our numbers and diminish theirs in the same breath.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Good question. Let's go back in time to 1986 and ask Mattel.

Also, nobody EVER considers the Horde to be PoP until PoP fans start clamoring for representation. Then, suddenly, we are told that we've "had PLENTY of representation, because, um, er, well....oh! The Horde! Yes, that's right! You have the Horde!"

The Horde is a scapegoat and a poor justification for the lack of Rebel presence in this line.
    I do because they were in the She-Ra cartoon as the main villians, and as such, they are part of the POP line.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I do because they were in the She-Ra cartoon as the main villians, and as such, they are part of the POP line.
    Let me see... He-Man/ Adam, Sorceress, Stonedar, Rokkon, Snout Spout, Skeletor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor... they all were in the She-Ra cartoon... so they are PoP?!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post

Hordak
    She-Ra
    Catra
    I'm not sure if a Buzzsaw Hordak is a viable figure without his action feature. She-Ra and Catra have at least three more variant s between the two of them.

200X, Filmation, cardbacks and Mini-comic variants will keep the variants going. If He-Man and Skeletor always take up two slots, then there are enough variants for years!

Mattel might as well open up a separate subscription for variants.

He-Man (Oo-Larr, Filmation, Flying Fists, Laser, NA, 200X, Snake Armor, Ice Armor)
    Man-At-Arms (Original toy brown fur, Filmation)
    Teela (Teen, Filmation, Blonde, Pink outfit/breast cancer, Yellow outfit)
    Man-E-Faces (Orange)
    Ram Man (Orange and Red)
    Adam (200X Teen, Pre-Filmation Blue Vest)
    Adora (200X Teen)
    Sorceress (200X, NA, Pink outfit/breast cancer, White with no sleeves)
    Randor (Elderly, Filmation, 200X, Captain Randor, Battle Armor Randor)
    Marlena (200X, Battle Armor Marlena, White Captain Glenn)

Skeletor (Filmation, Dragon Blaster, Laser, NA)
    Evil-Lyn (200X, Teen, Filmation)
    Beast Man (Red Beast Man)
    Trap Jaw (Green)
    Tri-Klops (Mini-comics)
    Clawful (Filmation)

King Hsss (Mini-comic unmasked, 200X)
    Rattlor (The General)
    Tung Lashor (Filmation)

Hordak (Filmation)
    Leech (Filmation)

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Three things from this thread.

I feel sorry for the Star Sisters, some people have waited over 20 years for them, and now others are saying they hate them because they're not Glimmer et al.

Those saying they wanted more female GR members before now, I take it you mean with the 1.0 body? As any female figure before BP She-Ra has that!

Also, I'm sure Fr-the 200X POP figure will rock and put a lot of fears to rest!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

The way things have gone I can see us getting Josh, Crimson Fury, Vultak and General Sunder before we get any of the the POP girls.
    Last edited by Jubilation; December 17, 2011 at 11:42am.
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Mermista : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : Spinnerella

Really the only releases that I consider Pop so far are BP She-ra and Bow. They are the only 2 figures based on the original Pop figure/doll line. She-ra , Adora, and Catra are based off of Filmation. The Star Sisters based on a magazine poster(big mistake on Mattel's part).

The Horde and Snout Spout have always been Motu. Yes they were in the She-ra Filmation series but their action figures were part of Masters not Princess of Power line.

I really hope that we get at least 2 true Pop characters in 2012. I'd like to see Glimmer or Frosta.

For 2012 I would love to see Glimmer & Frosta

For the 2013 POP sub incentive figure I would like to see Castaspella or Queen Angella on offer.
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Mermista : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : Spinnerella

That's the problem with PoP's perception in the line. MOTU fans are quick to complain when it looks like the ratio of heroic to evil warriors is getting unbalanced, but when PoP fans even mention under representation, all of our figures are lumped together as a way of trying to pacify us. And most MOTU fans, whether they like him or not, don't want to let the PoP fans have Snout Spout. And Mattel certainly didn't label him that way.

The rule of thumb should be, if a vintage purist wants it, it's not considered PoP for our purposes of wanting greater representation. That included any member of the Horde that was in the original line, and any heroic warrior that was in the vintage MOTU toy line but appeared exclusively on PoP.
    This post is giving me so much 'LYFE'.
    Last edited by Tallstar; December 17, 2011 at 12:52pm.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    For 2012 I would love to see Glimmer & Frosta

For the 2013 POP sub incentive figure I would like to see Castaspella or Queen Angella on offer.

That would be great!

Heroic Warrior
    That's gotta be some sort of illegal! I just did that as it's pretty clear Scott doesn't even read anything I post anymore lol. I could start giving details about his office and work area and he wouldn't even say anything. (hint: creepy Spector groping Sorceress fan art is CREEPY).

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Yes, because the female villains were a whopping two (back when we couldn't count Filmation). The bulk of PoP has always been the heroines. I'm not at all against adding some new villainesses aside from those featured in the cartoon (ahem, CaC!), but the simple truth is a member of the core PoP girls is overdue.

The real hell of it is I love all the figures we've got. Aside from Snake Man-At-Arms and repaint Evil-Lyn, there is no figure I would rather have not gotten. And there are tons I want to see get made still and would cheer to see in the rest of 2012. But still, it's time to get a PoP heroine who isn't She-Ra or brand new to being a figure.

Keeping the line alive by holding back so many of the principle PoP heroines while we are rapidly burning through the principle MOTU heroes seems faulty to me in the first place, but I think they want us rabid and anxious like we were for a He-Man line back in 2008. They want us tocheer a deafening roar when one is revealed, sell our first borns to afford more subscriptions, and eat the naysayers alive if they try to boo. Well mission accomplished, so make with the princesses of power!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Oh please Mattel split the lines. Then POP can at least have 12 figures a year!

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Nobody said they wanted 12 figures per year. But one or two monthly slots would be great. NA deserves the same. And so does 200x.

Would it be soooooo horrible if the vintage purists had to actually SHARE this all-inclusive line?

Heroic Warrior
    Yes...and let MotUc have the following line-up:

January: Oo-Larr
    February: Princess Maran
    March: Butthead
    Quarterly Variant: Captain Randor
    April: Warrior in Yellow who participated in the tug-of-war
    May: Gwildor
    June: Rotar
    Quarterly Variant: pink Teela from Mini-Comic
    July: Twistoid
    August: Artilla/ Weaponstronic
    September: Plundor
    Quarterly Variant: Buzz Saw Hordak
    October: Celice
    November: Rio Blast
    December: Evil Robot
    Quarterly Variant: Sportsbra...pardon... Terror Claws Skeletor

Yes, I love motu but I love pop just as much. Maybe another sub for pop?? I want 12 pop charcters per year. Its the best idea ever. This way we can satisfy both sides of the motu and pop fans. I would buy it instantly. Ok that would get me to buy a sub for once. I want badly
    Queen Angella
    Frosta
    Glimmer
    Castespella
    Mermista
    peekablue
    Sweet Bee
    netessa
    General Sunder
    Madam Razz/ Broom
    Scorpia
    Mantenna
    Filmation Hordak
    And whatever more you put out.............
    Last edited by mac&cheesier; December 17, 2011 at 12:54pm.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    My thought is, as they enter more and more into the less famous MOTU characters like Blast-Attak, Twistoid, etc, the line will rely more on A-list and B-list POP characters to help carry the load and sell more subs. Just a thought.

As for the Horde or POP debate, Catra is both. Just because she has a Horde sticker doesn't mean she shouldn't count as POP. That's silly, IMO. She had a POP figure back in the 80s. Even if they gave her the Filmation look, she's still Catra.

Oh, come now. You can't count the Star Sisters for the PoP fans but say that the NA fans only have two figures. Slush Head's on his way, and the Star Sisters haven't been released yet. Don't fluff up our numbers and diminish theirs in the same breath.
    Sorry bamf1980, my sister who was completely addicted to she-ra back in the day, who is a grown 30 something adult now, who does not collect anything toy related agrees with me. She just being a She-ra filmation cartoon fan and collected the figures back in the 80's (during the same time span I collected MOTU) believes that the horde, the she-ras, bow, swiftwind, catra, star sisters,etc. are POP and I have always agreed with her. The horde was created to be the bad guys for She-ra. Yes I know the horde were MOTU figures, but the were still created for She-ra. And even if I do count Slush Head that's still only 3 characters for NA. Even if we don't count the horde and even if we subtract catra which we shouldn't because she was created in the POP toyline, She-ra fans have swiftwind, she-ra, bubble power she-ra, and bow (4) to NA fans have icarious and optikk (2). (I'm excluding slushhead, because he's not out yet, just like the rest of the year because I'm sure another she-ra figure will be out). I'm not even a big NA fan but to argue over which stickers are on the packages...isn't that the reason they give us sticker sheets, so we can put more stickers on the figures that have different factions?

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    My thought is, as they enter more and more into the less famous MOTU characters like Blast-Attak, Twistoid, etc, the line will rely more on A-list and B-list POP characters to help carry the load and sell more subs. Just a thought.

As for the Horde or POP debate, Catra is both. Just because she has a Horde sticker doesn't mean she shouldn't count as POP. That's silly, IMO. She had a POP figure back in the 80s. Even if they gave her the Filmation look, she's still Catra.
    Come, now, don't be logical.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back-half!) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 12) Saurod 13) Blast-Attak 14) Karg 15) Gwildor 16) Lodar 17) Mask of Power Demons

She-Ra was on He-man's show a bunch of times, and He-man showed up a LOT on She-Ra's show. So now is He-man mostly a master and sometimes a member of the great rebellion? What about She-Ra? Is she considered a Master?
    Sorry Ben. As much as I wish it had been the case, She-Ra did not appear on the He-Man series, as it had ended prior to the launch of She-Ra. He-Man's appearances on his sister's show were his last, which is a shame. If He-Man was still being made during the She-Ra run, I think her appearing on his show would have been A) a lot of fun and B) made some MOTU fans less upset with her existence.

In addition to selling the POP toys, the She-Ra cartoon was used as a way to still promote some of the MOTU characters like the Snout Spout, Hordak, Rokkon, Stonedar, and others since there was no longer new episodes of the He-Man cartoon to help sell the toys. I don't consider those characters to be POP. Characters in the She-Ra cartoon that were part of the original POP line (ie: Catra - no matter the color scheme or sticker on the package) or never had a toy or appeared in the He-Man cartoon (ie: Shadow Weaver, Scorpia) I would definitely consider POP.

I think it is fair to count the Star Sisters as three unique characters since they are pretty different, aren't generic army builders, and probably should have had spaced out single releases.
    Last edited by Firefly; December 17, 2011 at 02:20pm.

Yes...and let MotUc have the following line-up:

April: Warrior in Yellow who participated in the tug-of-war
    I'll take 4 of that sub please!
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl