Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 338

Thread: The "Why is [insert figure] so expensive on the secondary market?" thread

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior theblock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA, USA
    Posts
    792

    The "Why is [insert figure] so expensive on the secondary market?" thread

    So the good news for me personally is that I FINALLY GOT ME A TEELA MOTUC I have her proudly out of the box displayed with my only two stactions; Clamp Champ and Grizzlor!

    But I noticed something, I actually lucked out for a change, I found mine @ Ebay for only 41$ US after shipping, AND no bidding war either which is ironic since I got into a major battle over the 200X Teela years ago. But since my birthday was back in the 3rd and I got a lot of money form relatives, I decided to spoil myself ! Sadly the best deal I saw for Teela MOTUC was 25$ at a Wondercon 2010 booth, and I juat HAD to be too broke to get it ! But it feels like she's the most expensive figure to get online. She goes for over 50 bucks on average at Ebay, and I freaked when I saw one going for 90 effin' dollars on Amazon.com...seriously! What is Matty's trip in not re-issuing her!? Have they seen how much she's going for? I bet with my luck, now that I finally got her, they actually WILL do a re-issue of her with the updated tooling they've done with other female figures since. I mean wouldn't it make sense that her and Evil-Lyn are covered (unlike Battleground Teela) to make them with softer plastic leotards to allow more flexibility, or even an ab-crunch articulation?

    IDK, just musing out loud, sorry if this has already come up in previous threads, I don't frequent this part of the forum due to me not affording MOTUCs. I'm just glad I wasn't a She-Raver cause I could never afford a subscription for Shadow Weever.
    Last edited by theblock; December 20, 2011 at 09:02pm. Reason: spelling
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

    My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

  2. #2
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    So the good news for me personally is that I FINALLY GOT ME A TEELA MOTUC I have her proudly out of the box displayed with my only two stactions; Clamp Champ and Grizzlor!

    But I noticed something, I actually lucked out for a change, I found mine @ Ebay for only 41$ US after shipping, AND no bidding war either which is ironic since I got into a major battle over the 200X Teela years ago. But since my birthday was back in the 3rd and I got a lot of money form relatives, I decided to spoil myself ! Sadly the best deal I saw for Teela MOTUC was 25$ at a Wondercon 2010 booth, and I juat HAD to be too broke to get it ! But it feels like she's the most expensive figure to get online. She goes for over 50 bucks on average at Ebay, and I freaked when I saw one going for 90 effin' dollars on Amazon.com...seriously! What is Matty's trip in not re-issuing her!? Have they seen how much she's going for? I bet with my luck, now that I finally got her, they actually WILL do a re-issue of her with the updated tooling they've done with other female figures since. I mean wouldn't it make sense that her and Evil-Lyn are covered (unlike Battleground Teela) to make them with softer plastic leotards to allow more flexibility, or even an ab-crunch articulation?

    IDK, just musing out loud, sorry if this has already come up in previous threads, I don't frequent this part of the forum due to me not affording MOTUCs. I'm just glad I wasn't a She-Raver cause I could never afford a subscription for Shadow Weever.
    Sad you missed the Black Friday sale.....Teela was $18 on Matty...I feel for the ones who missed that sale....I am thankful I was able to be around and get the ones I needed.....Teela probably would have shown back up on Matty in 2012....Scott said that was probably going to happen, and the fact that so many older figures are coming in Jan is a big possibility, they all may make an appearance in 2012...stay tuned for your favorites on Matty...they may come back....I mean Faker, BA Skeletor & Mer-Man all in Jan '12...I wonder if 3 re-releases will be a norm every month or just a kick off to 2012.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior theblock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA, USA
    Posts
    792
    Wait! Did you mean this year's black Friday sale!? Or a previous one? If the former then I'll proceed to bang my head on a wall LOL!
    But I could have sworn Matty said after SDCC that re-issues would be slimmed down.
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

    My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Marvelous0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Outside of Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,512
    Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    Wait! Did you mean this year's black Friday sale!? Or a previous one? If the former then I'll proceed to bang my head on a wall LOL!
    But I could have sworn Matty said after SDCC that re-issues would be slimmed down.
    Unless you were up at 3am. You would have missed out on her cause she didn't last long.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

  5. #5
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    Wait! Did you mean this year's black Friday sale!? Or a previous one? If the former then I'll proceed to bang my head on a wall LOL!
    But I could have sworn Matty said after SDCC that re-issues would be slimmed down.
    Yeah Black Friday Teela was $18....I finally got one after a few months of "hell no, I'm not paying that much" same for Tri-Klops & Man at Arms though they were $10, Adora at $18 was an impulse buy I must admit.

    Man-E-Faces (August) was the first figure to not see a re-issue for the near future..but all prior to him are fair game...and there are already 3 re-releases in January coming, plus 4 of the "core" figures supposedly to be available all year.


    Jan Re-releases....
    Battle Armor Skeletor
    Faker
    Mer-Man

    Core...available all year
    He-Man
    Battle Cat
    Skeletor
    Panthor
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 20, 2011 at 10:18pm.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  6. #6
    Awesome Warrior Alexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The big 'ol mitten
    Posts
    6,448
    Yeah Teela probably has a lot of outside appeal. I know a friend of mine told me to pick one up for him when she was reissued...course that was a long time ago and I thought she would be reissued by now. Thing is, he's not a fan of MotU AT ALL. I'm not even sure if he had any of the figures back then; it's just that good looking of a figure.

    I do wish I had known she was a part of the black friday sale, but oh well...
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

    Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

  7. #7
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Yeah Teela probably has a lot of outside appeal. I know a friend of mine told me to pick one up for him when she was reissued...course that was a long time ago and I thought she would be reissued by now. Thing is, he's not a fan of MotU AT ALL. I'm not even sure if he had any of the figures back then; it's just that good looking of a figure.

    I do wish I had known she was a part of the black friday sale, but oh well...
    The more I look at her she actually is a sexy figure...her and She-Ra (2.0 with the original 1.0 parts)...my only complaint about Teela is that I wish she had a separate hair piece...there is not enough break from her forehead to her hair line, and a paint line doesn't have the same effect. That and a little bit of flat butt...Filmation Teela had back, but all 1.0 girls have that problem, so I won't hold that against the figure.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior citizens_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nantyglo, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    187
    I got my Teela at the black friday, best 18.00 i ever spent.
    my feedback thread

    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=218428



    selling off my entire motu classics collection, here's a link to one of my auctions..... check out my other items 43 auctions total.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/120886470944...84.m1555.l2649

  9. #9
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Unless you were up at 3am. You would have missed out on her cause she didn't last long.
    I was...she was there waiting and with Adora she went right into the cart. And good thing too...or I would have had to wait until 2012 sometime...and pay $4 extra. I went to bed, and got up long enough to get on debate a little and get my order in, then right back to bed...but I sat there for 20 minutes debating on adding the weapons pack to my order....didn't...should have...and Teela was still able to get to my house..so she was up for at least 30 mins, but after that I was snoozing again, so I don't know how long she actually lasted after that 30 mins.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Akai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    576
    I got desperate and spent $50 on Amazon for my Teela since she was the last one left.

  11. #11
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai View Post
    I got desperate and spent $50 on Amazon for my Teela since she was the last one left.
    I almost spent the $40 on Tri-Klops, and had to fight myself not to jump on the $60 - $80 MAA....good thing I had some self control...or come Cyber Monday I would have slammed my head in the car door. Bad enough I spent $40 on a Mer-Man (at least he was the first release) and the next month he was up on Matty...that was the last time I was going that much over a figures worth...I can live without for $60...except Shadow Weaver...because of her sub exclusivity, I have her PO'd for $60...and I am still debating on that....but other than her....no more than $35 or so for a figure...I can live with a hole in my collection..I've had to before on other lines I collect. I did spend $41 on the SDCC Orko & Adam...but I figured $41 was a decent price for a con only exclusive.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior Piccolo Daimaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,232
    WOW. This is interesting. I was always under the impression that Beastman was the most expensive on the secondary market. Teela makes more sense.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior Marvelous0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Outside of Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,512
    Regardless how much you spend to get the figure. She is worth it! One of the most beautiful figures by The Four Horsemen! Puts that mehhh BG Teela to shame!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Stratos*Major's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MS, Gulf Coast
    Posts
    2,299
    Wundar, is the most expensive...

  15. #15
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Wundar, is the most expensive...
    The best thing since sliced...??...wait what were we talking about?

    Wait until March...Shadow Weaver...
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    5,262
    Teela is one of those figures in the line which really has the WOW factor - stiff dress and bobble head issues aside. I really think its the definitive Teela buck and armor - I love that you can switch between the Goddess, red head and Blonde head.

    She really needs a re-issue ASAP!

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior J-West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    In the depths of the world unknown
    Posts
    451
    I have Teela already but I just bought another one on here yesterday from a fellow .orger for a pretty good price. I missed the black Friday sale because of work which ticked me off a bit, and I refused to pay evilbay prices. I agree she is a popular and expensive figure on the secondary market. This is the first figure I've really had a hard time tracking down for a decent price.
    [CENTER]MOTUC WISH LIST
    *Two-Badd*~*Snake Armor He-Man*~*Tung Lashor*~200x Sorceresss~Calix ~*Mantenna*~*NA Skeletor*~*200x King Hisss*~*Ninjor* ~Evilseed

  18. #18
    Court Magician Fakerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    50
    I only started collecting MOTUC earlier this year, so my very first purchases were off eBay as the figures I wanted were not available from Matty. I think I paid about $40+ for a loose complete Teela. She is such a great figure. I was very happy to pick up a carded figure for $18 from the Black Friday sale.

  19. #19
    Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,782
    Teela has always been one of the more pricier figures since 200x, along w/ maa.

    Exclusives are always going to be more expensive than normal run figures, but females usually take the cake.

    =)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

    My Trader Feedback thread:

    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

  20. #20
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,723
    LOL and here I am basically giving a MOC one to Gabe for a Prince Adam figure for my wife
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  21. #21
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Teela is one of those figures in the line which really has the WOW factor - stiff dress and bobble head issues aside. I really think its the definitive Teela buck and armor - I love that you can switch between the Goddess, red head and Blonde head.

    She really needs a re-issue ASAP!
    Doesn't The Goddess head look a bit weird on Teela...being all ghoslty green and all?
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  22. #22
    Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,782
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    LOL and here I am basically giving a MOC one to Gabe for a Prince Adam figure for my wife
    like i sd before women always take the cake- they get what they want pretty much at all costs!

    =0
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

    My Trader Feedback thread:

    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Doesn't The Goddess head look a bit weird on Teela...being all ghoslty green and all?
    oh, I meant the Snake Armor Teela head.

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,835
    Teela needs a 2.0

    I wholeheartedly beleive THAT is why they never put her back in production for new releases. The original buck got so many complaints, that they started working on the 2.0 buck... twist waist... removable armor...

    I wouldn't be surprised if one of the last figures of 2012 is a brand new teela that's a bit more... correct.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior PantherCult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    354
    I've been wondering how the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales have effected the Ebay prices on figures.

    I know I had been trying and trying to track down Man At Arms and Webstor. I could never find MAA that finished below $50 and Webstor came close as well. Those two plus Teela and Tri-Klops were a few of the early releases that never got "the Original" sticker treatment from Matty.

    But over the course of that weekend in November lots of people were able to get those figures, and at a discount even.

    I was wondering if the sale availability had an impact on the Ebay prices for those.

    But, I think people should probably hesitate before paying big Ebay mark ups on most things as there may be more reissues in store for the 30th anniversary year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •