Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: The "Why is [insert figure] so expensive on the secondary market?" thread

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I honestly think a Teela 2.0 will be coming before long. Mattel knows there is a demand, and they will likely need some heavy hitters over the next couple of years as the roster winds down, so something like a new Teela would have some real appeal to both Mattel and fans, especially those collectors who came in late.
    I agree. Teela is too important to have only one release, and if Mattel uses a new (2.0) version as a carrot-in-the-face tactic later on, I'm all for it.

People who were late to the game deserve a Teela, and not a $225 mark-up...
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAROTO View Post
    I don't like Teela at all...but I need her to complete my collection.
    Boo to you sir! Say what you will about the character, but the figure has amazing paint aps and accessories, and is beautiful. Some have the bobble head problem, and the female tunics were made to ba able to twist and ab crunch but can not as the material was made too hard, other than that she is almost flawless, and ALMOST worth her $100 street value. (if she could be posed with a softer tunic, she would easily be worth the $100+)

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I agree. Teela is too important to have only one release, and if Mattel uses a new (2.0) version as a carrot-in-the-face tactic later on, I'm all for it.

People who were late to the game deserve a Teela, and not a $225 mark-up...
    Agreed. Plus, Classics Teela is NOT a great figure.

The ridiculously stiff, one-piece outfit and her inability to sit on Battle Cat or any future steed makes a Teela 2.0 just as necessary as the She-Ra 2.0 we got. The bobble head issue could also be address as well as the addition of the improved BG Evil-Lyn bracers and a flexible two-piece outfit to go with the much improved 2.0 buck.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Agreed. Plus, Classics Teela is NOT a great figure.

The ridiculously stiff, one-piece outfit and her inability to sit on Battle Cat or any future steed makes a Teela 2.0 just as necessary as the She-Ra 2.0 we got. The bobble head issue could also be address as well as the addition of the improved BG Evil-Lyn bracers and a flexible two-piece outfit to go with the much improved 2.0 buck.
    Absolutely!

Those are all great reasons for Mattel to invest in a new version of Teela. (I mean, come on Mattel! We got a He-Man 2.0, Skeletor 2.0, She-Ra 2.0, two versions of Randor/MAA, etc... Give Teela some love too, and throw new subscribers a bone at the same time.)

As a matter of fact, I think there would be a lot of people willing to give up a monthly slot (for a new character) in order to make this happen...
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

A Filmation Teela, with extra artifacts from the cartoon (along with the improvements Ornclown mentioned) would be a great way to release a Teela 2.0

Sadly the release of that awful Battleground Teela figure makes it less likely to happen
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Why are Fisto, Beastman, Whiplash sooooo expensive?

Were they short-runned or what? No wonder many people do not get into this toyline. I have all of the characters myself, but I don't understand why these characters are so expensive now as they are main characters in both of the cartoon series as well as many of the comics. I don't see how anyone new is willing to collect this line and jump on board if they cannot get the main characters. Why did Matty Collector choose these characters to have a lower run than the other main characters?
    Boomer Sooner!!!

Court Magician
    It kind of feels like this same question/complaint and the ensuing arguments come up frequently.

Supply & Demand.
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

There was a big, big, BIG problem with Mattycollector's site and Digital River during the Fisto offering. You may want to search for information about that on here. Bad memories.

The other two...I would say their cost is related to their popularity and their status as non-evergreen.
    HOPE FOR DRAGSTOR IS ALIVE IN 2015!!!!!

Fisto had a problem that he didn't make it to all subscribers. They then prematurely went through customer service stock early. Basically there's a missing shipment of the figures in the Pacific Ocean.

Beastman had a second production run, but it's more a case of a good figure most people don't want to give up so there typically aren't many for sale.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Beastman has been available 5 times, originally in 2008, once in 2010, once in 2011, and twice in 2012, so I don't see any good reason to pay top dollar for a figure with so many releases.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Yes this topic comes up often, and to answer your question. I belive that there was never a second run for these particular figs.I still need Whiplash myself, and its agrevateting hes one of my favorets from the vintage line. I have most of them but still need Scare glow, Stinkor, Roboto, Green Goddess, just to name a few. needless to say some of these bad boys are pricey.im looking to find some of these hard to gets. from ebay lots eventuly if I can save enuff money.

I'm sure in 2016 and beyond reissues or variants will be made of Beastman, Fisto, and Teela. If there's money to be made, Mattel will be there.
    Let's get HUNGA THE HARPY before 2016!

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    We know why Fisto is so expensive, but to say why would only start a fight.

Figures like anything are only expensive if you are willing to pay the price.

If you dont want to drop $100 + on these, wait for reissues or for a good deal. Scalpers can only scalp you if you let them.
    Official Help A Fan Cyber Monday Thread

This could be the last massive sale in MOTUC, and our last chance to help fellow fans who have been onboard with this line, and are struggling to complete their collections. Give new and old fans a chance to get what they want! Be a Cyber Monday Santa, and click above! Also, if you can grab me a Light Hope, that would be great.

I don't understand why Whiplash is up there at all...Teela is up there since most collectors seem to have 2 or 3 of them with the alternate heads AND she is a essential core character in everyone's collections...and I still think a crate fell off the boat coming across the ocean with Fisto and Sorceress...there is such a reduced number of them...and they were back to back...
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Supply & Demand.
    That does not make sense as it seems that the current pricing for these 3 figures are far more expensive than the rest of the main characters. If it were supply and demand, wouldn't Roboto, Evil-Lyn (Classic), Mer-Man, Man-at-Arms and Trapjaw would be in the same boat? It just seems that Matty short-runned these characters in particular over the others. I do not see why they could not just re-release these characters for the jumping on fans. Aren't they are just as importantant as the many other characters that got a re-release?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Fisto had a problem that he didn't make it to all subscribers. They then prematurely went through customer service stock early. Basically there's a missing shipment of the figures in the Pacific Ocean.

Beastman had a second production run, but it's more a case of a good figure most people don't want to give up so there typically aren't many for sale.
    This makes more sense. I had forgot about Beastman being re-released.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    I'm sure in 2016 and beyond reissues or variants will be made of Beastman, Fisto, and Teela. If there's money to be made, Mattel will be there.
    I can see this too. I just think that it is daunting for newer fans getting into the toyline if they cannot even get the main characters for a decent markup.

I am just bringing this up as how are they even gong to get newer subscribers as the toy-line winds down? Especially next year where there will be far fewer main characters. I just want as many others do for this toyline to stay popular and keep going.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Beastman has been available 5 times, originally in 2008, once in 2010, once in 2011, and twice in 2012, so I don't see any good reason to pay top dollar for a figure with so many releases.
    Whoa, I did not think that there were that many re-releases of Beastman. I started in 2011 with the sub.
    Boomer Sooner!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjaer21 View Post
    I can see this too. I just think that it is daunting for newer fans getting into the toyline if they cannot even get the main characters for a decent markup.

I am just bringing this up as how are they even gong to get newer subscribers as the toy-line winds down? Especially next year where there will be far fewer main characters. I just want as many others do for this toyline to stay popular and keep going.
    Mattel really isn't interested in bringing new people into the line. If they were, they'd devote some advertising money to it, and they'd pay to store the inventory on key characters. Maybe there isn't anyone else to jump on anyway, but it seems that even this past sub year we were hearing of people who had never seen the figures before.

Mattel just wants the line to plug along at its current sell rate. They don't invest in anything to generate more sales, and they threaten to pull the plug if they drop. This is the world in which we live.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Mattel really isn't interested in bringing new people into the line. If they were, they'd devote some advertising money to it, and they'd pay to store the inventory on key characters. Maybe there isn't anyone else to jump on anyway, but it seems that even this past sub year we were hearing of people who had never seen the figures before.

Mattel just wants the line to plug along at its current sell rate. They don't invest in anything to generate more sales, and they threaten to pull the plug if they drop. This is the world in which we live.
    This is a shame too as more awareness could help in epanding the brand into a new movie and/or a new cartoon. But then again, Mattel is not in the movie making business.
    Boomer Sooner!!!

Heroic Warrior undeadplastic2711's Avatar
    People are charging so much because they can. Those figures are NOT worth what they go for on Ebay. Some people just don't have enough sense to say no
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    This is a shame too as more awareness could help in epanding the brand into a new movie and/or a new cartoon. But then again, Mattel is not in the movie making business.
    Correct. Expanding the customer base for Masters of the Universe Classics will only help Masters of the Universe Classics. It won't get us a cartoon. it won't push the movie into production. all it will do is allow Mattel to increase the budget and slot-count for Masters of the Universe Classics so it can take that sales base and try to get more of their money for increased profit.

Fisto, Sorceress, and Teela are rare, in that less of them were produced than many other figures. But they were (mostly) available at the time they went on sale. Reissues were part of the line in 2011 an 2012, and Mattel sat on a HUGE chunk of unsold inventory for a long time (eventually liquidating them out to Big Lots because they couldn't sell them on the site). That's why in 2013, we were told, "No more reissues". What is produced is what we'll get and no more.

Why? because while 1000 - 2000 people may want an average-priced Fisto, it'll require an order of 10,000 units (fans' best guesstimate at the minimum numbers needed to begin production). Which means even if everyone desperate for a Fisto buys one, and a thousand more people grab one for a second head, or customs, or what have you... there will be *no* market for Fisto. he won't be worth more than $25 ever again, and so no one else will buy him from Matty because the speculator market will have been killed. And Mattel will be left with thousands of unsold Fistos, because 10 to 15 thousand guys like me already have their 2 or 3 and don't need any more.
    My 2016 Wishlist:

2.0s: HE-MAN, Teela
    Filmation: KITTRINA, Vultak, Dylamug
    200x: VEENA, Prahvus
    NA: CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead
    Concept: RED BEAST, Tony Guerrero He-Man

Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    We know why Fisto is so expensive, but to say why would only start a fight.
    I would agree with that if, by "fight" you mean falling into the fetal position and openly weeping.
    HOPE FOR DRAGSTOR IS ALIVE IN 2015!!!!!

Beastman was re-released. Obviously these figures are commanding a high price because of their scarcity on the market and their desirability. What's so hard to figure out?
    Last edited by NorthCoast; February 24, 2014 at 05:26pm.
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

I have two of every figure released and I cannot figure out why The Sorceress is so expensive,Fisto is one of the best figures in the entire line so I can see why people really want him but the Sorceress is not even in my top 50 favorites due to her stupid ass wing design which ****** me off because she is one of my favorite characters in the entire line.I hope they do a reissue and fix the wing(drums)problem and then I can have my perfect Sorceress.

It seems that Matty WANTS there to be some core characters which we can't have. It frightens us into subbing to make sure we don't miss any more in the future.

It's crazy that we can't have Beast-Man, Teela, and a regular color Sorceress. It's a shame about Fisto, Whiplash, Scare-Glow, Shadow Weaver and some of the others. But you have to either spend stupid amounts of money or deal with the fact that there are several figures you will not get to own for a couple of years at least.

When I discovered the line I argued fervently for an "All-Star" sub, including 6-8 of the most expensive and important figures, but I get it now. Matty wants the prices that high.

For now, a 200X Beast-Man sits atop my Griffon.....

That does not make sense as it seems that the current pricing for these 3 figures are far more expensive than the rest of the main characters. If it were supply and demand, wouldn't Roboto, Evil-Lyn (Classic), Mer-Man, Man-at-Arms and Trapjaw would be in the same boat? It just seems that Matty short-runned these characters in particular over the others.
    It makes sense if you think about the "supply" half of the equation. Several of the characters you named have had full 2nd runs, which drove down their prices. Mer-Man and several other core characters were also repainted and sold in DC/MOTUC two-packs, which also decreased the price. A couple of years ago, Mattel announced that no new figures would get a 2nd run of production. That drove popular core figures that hadn't been released yet (Fisto, Sorceress) even higher. Some core characters (Beastman) did get a 2nd production run, but enough time has passed that the price has gone back up.

I do not see why they could not just re-release these characters for the jumping on fans. Aren't they are just as importantant as the many other characters that got a re-release?
    It's not as easy as just re-releasing the figures. The manufacturers charge Mattel more for small orders (and there's a set minimum). So Mattel would either have to pay through the nose (and charge you a ton more) or order way more units than they can sell quickly (or at all). Despite the frustrated posts and the prices on eBay, there just aren't thousands and thousands of people who want a Whiplash. There are new fans discovering the line, sure, but the line's over 5 years old now, so new fans are a trickle not a flood. It's just a problem of scale, really.

I just think that it is daunting for newer fans getting into the toyline if they cannot even get the main characters for a decent markup.
    I think Mattel (and many of the people here on the Org) have come to terms with the fact that MOTUC will be wrapping up in the next couple of years. It doesn't make sense from Mattel's point of view (or their shareholders') to spend money manufacturing core figures for re-release in hopes of enticing new fans. They have 2-3 years worth of re-release sales data that says it's not worth it. Plus, every unit that doesn't sell is one that they have to pay to warehouse until the next clearance sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Mattel just wants the line to plug along at its current sell rate. They don't invest in anything to generate more sales, and they threaten to pull the plug if they drop.
    That's a pretty fair assessment. People forget that Mattel's focus isn't MOTU - not remotely. MOTU is an "on the side" thing to them. Their focus is on cars and Barbies. They're happy to make some money on MOTU, but that's about it. MOTUC would have to be a retail line to justify more of Mattel's resources.