Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Why is [insert figure] so expensive on the secondary market?" thread

The prices for ALL of the figures on ebay are getting ridiculous. And not just for MOTUC. I think people are beginning to say, oh it's an action figure, it's worth money. But even strictly just MOTUC, every character is being listed at buy it now for a good deal more than it's worth. They're not selling either. Good. They're not even open to bidding, just buy it now.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Well figures with 'free shipping' most likely went up because of cost of shipping went up. But many of us have noticed, mentioned this. I got into buying the figures around August of last year. Teela was going for about 75 at that time, now BIN auctions are listed at 170. And I know others have mentioned other figures jumping up quite a bit also in the last 3-4 months.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

The high buy it now prices don't mean much to me, since I doubt many are biting.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Jeremy View Post
    That is EXACTLY right and its why I doubled my subs for 2013. It's gone so well so far I may even increase it beyond that for 2014.
    And so will everyone else.

And then, especially because the "big" 8 are now done, and the majority of MOTU vintage are done, we will have 2011 all over again where people cannot even make back cost on the average figure flipping it once you count seller fees, because so many people are selling extra subs they bought just for immediate resale.

It will be a brand new bubble, all over again.

The reason prices right now are higher is because so many people were turned off of subscribing for various reasons were just used to picking them up for essentially the same price 3rd party, and so many less resellers bought in this year because while 2012 had some big hitters with rarity issues (Sorceress and Fisto) it still wasn't enough to make people sub again.

And now, a few figures are being artificially limited by Mattel in order to drum up sales for the Filmation sub and will likely continue until the regular sub goes on sale this summer. I'm sure subscriptions will go up. And then 2014 becomes way over-produced like 2011, and resellers get stuck trying to unload them at or below cost.

The thing is, I don't see big retailers (like BBTS) falling for this again, it will just be the "hey ill buy an extra sub or two" folks. And those are the guys who will be hurting next year when they try to unload figures from average months and hope for one or two big ones to be able to at least try to break even on their total costs with.

Often it's a dream, or built on seeing one auction go that high because people got into a bid war.

This did make me look up some other figures, kind of surprised that some are as low as they are. I don't know why but I would have expected He-ro to be higher than he is, but most of his BINs are ~30.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I'd be surprised if 2014 subscription sales were more than 2013. It seems to be more of a bell curve.

Heroic Warrior
    Fisto Sold out pretty fast with no rerelease in sight and shadow weaver is a sub exclusive so I'd expect those prices to get pretty high. If you want loose figures you can get those at cost or cheaper as people quit the line. Just play the waiting game. Part of collecting is hunting down the figures you want and keeping an eye out for a good deal.

I've got a sub so I got my Fisto. Was just surprised to see him and Sorceress sell for so much. I knew I had to buy the weapons pack separately but I thought all figs came with it.

My Fisto had never been removed out of the shipping box so I was glad to see it wasn't a Sorceress. Now I've got to hunt down Granamyr.
    Like anyone could even know that

The eBay prices are gouging plain and simple. And those auctions are a bit of a joke, and too risky. I do just fine on the Marketplace for most figs. Shadow Weaver prices = absolutely RE-DIC! $250 - $400? Really?

I am banking on New York Comic Con to have some vendors offering deals on rare figures. I got an Orko for about $40 last year. I am hoping that some other rares are sold for less at cons.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yodafreakmaster View Post
    Anything unwanted could easily be unloaded and folks would still be WAY ahead financially compared to trying to buy the wanted items on the secondary market. Hopefullly everyone will sub in 2014 that loves MOTUC's!!!!!!!
    Definitely not for me. I've saved way more money than I ever would've made back from selling all the stuff they put out I have zero interest in.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    And so will everyone else.

And then, especially because the "big" 8 are now done, and the majority of MOTU vintage are done, we will have 2011 all over again where people cannot even make back cost on the average figure flipping it once you count seller fees, because so many people are selling extra subs they bought just for immediate resale.

It will be a brand new bubble, all over again.

The reason prices right now are higher is because so many people were turned off of subscribing for various reasons were just used to picking them up for essentially the same price 3rd party, and so many less resellers bought in this year because while 2012 had some big hitters with rarity issues (Sorceress and Fisto) it still wasn't enough to make people sub again.

And now, a few figures are being artificially limited by Mattel in order to drum up sales for the Filmation sub and will likely continue until the regular sub goes on sale this summer. I'm sure subscriptions will go up. And then 2014 becomes way over-produced like 2011, and resellers get stuck trying to unload them at or below cost.

The thing is, I don't see big retailers (like BBTS) falling for this again, it will just be the "hey ill buy an extra sub or two" folks. And those are the guys who will be hurting next year when they try to unload figures from average months and hope for one or two big ones to be able to at least try to break even on their total costs with.
    I'm not suggesting that everyone should attempt to be a reseller for 2014 and buy up tons of subs. I'm suggesting that as a collector of this amazing line, you are likely better off financially to buy into the sub (for your personal collection) versus cherry picking moving forward. With 2014 sure to be stacked with the most highly demanded figures left in the line, I think it will be a no brainer for anyone who enjoys collecting MOTUC's to get on board next year for Club Eternia.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Often it's a dream, or built on seeing one auction go that high because people got into a bid war.

This did make me look up some other figures, kind of surprised that some are as low as they are. I don't know why but I would have expected He-ro to be higher than he is, but most of his BINs are ~30.
    This I will never understand. We go to eBay to find good "deals" right? If someone is selling something you want for a really good price, why don't we all just wait until the last minute to buy it?

Sure, others will be thinking the same exact thing, but at least there is a chance you can get away with a steal.....

I know this method defeats the whole purpose of the auction site, but I am a proud sniper, and I've run off with some pretty incredible deals over the years....

Back on topic:
    As many have said before, a figure is only worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. Unfortunately Shadow Weaver and Fisto have just become the "Boba Fett with Launching Missile backpack" of MOTUC. People feel they have to buy them now at whatever the cost, because it can't possibly be as bad as if they wait a few years and have to pay $1000.00....

It's the people who buy them at the high prices that keep the prices high....
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Definitely not for me. I've saved way more money than I ever would've made back from selling all the stuff they put out I have zero interest in.
    Then you must not be interested in the exclusive figures. This year's sub now has 2 exclusives with no day of sales for Fang Man so both he and King He-Man are going for big bucks on the secondary market. They are going for 3-4 times what they actually cost and are likely to only go up from there over the course of time.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Just for me personally, whatever I pay for King He-Man won't be anywhere comparable to the value of lost time spent reselling figures I don't want.

I've been keeping an eye on Fisto for a while now trying to score a deal. He was going for $35-$40 average. Then one sold for around 100 bucks and all the prices shot-up! Overnight! As long as collectors keep paying $100, he'll stay at that price. I sometimes think it's a conspiracy.

I still hopeful prices will drop. *fingers crossed*

I have a feeling Fang Man will show up later, maybe black friday or something. I think his status of being an exclusive is artificial. Once the Filmation sub sales drive is over they'll find a time later to release the rest of the stock. But of course that's just my theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    I have a feeling Fang Man will show up later, maybe black friday or something. I think his status of being an exclusive is artificial. Once the Filmation sub sales drive is over they'll find a time later to release the rest of the stock. But of course that's just my theory.
    I pre-ordered mine on BBTS as soon as I heard the news, but I agree with your theory. I believe this is a ploy (be it a good one) to get those Filmation sub numbers and planting a seed to use the same threat again to get high sub numbers come August for 2014. I guess whatever it takes to keep the line alive can't be too sinister of a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    You too eh? Kinda weird for the longest time he was promoted as a monthly figure, then TG/Matty just slips him out of the schedule a month or so before it's released.
    Last edited by misterzaku; February 26, 2013 at 02:25am.

So... I get the whole No Re-Issue thing. Why is Optikk and Roboto going for so much?
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

Heroic Warrior
    even scareglow has jumped in price

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    The prices for ALL of the figures on ebay are getting ridiculous. And not just for MOTUC. I think people are beginning to say, oh it's an action figure, it's worth money. But even strictly just MOTUC, every character is being listed at buy it now for a good deal more than it's worth. They're not selling either. Good. They're not even open to bidding, just buy it now.
    I recently saw a BG Evil-Lyn listed for BIN for $50... but it had the "Make An Offer" option... I offered $20 - immediately denied. I offered $25 - immediately denied. I offered $30 - immediately denied.

That was enough for me.

SO lame.

Part of the problem is that people are offering "Free Shipping" because there is no point in offering a shipping rate as extra, as Ebay now charges the seller nearly 10% of the shipping rate - even if it is the EXACT rate they are charged by the USPS or UPS. It's kind of ridicuous. So people are offering "free" shipping and just boosting the price of the item. You then automatically get a 5 star rating for Shipping Cost.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    To be fair, Ebay prices are always higher than they ought to be. I remember paying around $70 each for a couple of SDCC Keldors nine years ago. It'll be interesting to see how Classics prices are in ten years' time.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    To be fair, Ebay prices are always higher than they ought to be. I remember paying around $70 each for a couple of SDCC Keldors nine years ago. It'll be interesting to see how Classics prices are in ten years' time.
    probably lower on a lot of figures. the thing is that motuc counts a pretty huge amount of figures (more than 110 with the new reveals) and as soon as the line ends a lot of characters will be sold for very cheap prices on secondary market. as long as the line goes its nice and staisfying for us to have a complete collection and keep it updated but then, after the last figure will be revelaed and bought, its only a matter of years 83-5) before half of our collection say goodbye to our shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    They are higher to at least accommodate ebay and paypal fees. But it does set a precedent for the marketplace here.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I am banking on New York Comic Con to have some vendors offering deals on rare figures. I got an Orko for about $40 last year. I am hoping that some other rares are sold for less at cons.
    My experience at large conventions is that most dealers know what the ebay prices are and actually mark the figures up more than that because they count on people having extra cash to burn at the con. And if there is a good price on a figure, someone else will have probably already bought it. Not to mention that the more rare figures (Shadow Weaver, Teela, Fisto, Sorceress, etc.) will be commanding higher prices by the fall when NYCC starts. Good luck to you though.