Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Why is [insert figure] so expensive on the secondary market?" thread

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slgcmg View Post
    I've been in and out of the news. Still have my sub and was scanning eBay to see Fisto and Sorceress for $150 and a Shadow Weaver for $350???

What did I miss??
    It isn't what you missed, it's what all the subscribers who had their subs mistakenly cancelled by DR's ineptitude last year missed, namely these three figures. You know, the figures you were "guaranteed" to get if you subscribed? Add in the fact that a lot of folks got a Sorceress in their Fisto mailer and by the time they could go through the Matty hoops for an exchange, DR had apparently sold off the CS stock for Fisto, and you had a great month for subbers. If I hadn't gotten my figures through BBTS when I got a Fisto boxed Sorceress, I would have been short a Fisto, as well (one e-mail to them, am e-mail back a half hour after they opened, and a half hour after that I have a Fisto reserved in my pile of loot and a mailing label for the return, all free of charge).

Ebayers with surpluses of these figures must be the only folks on the planet who love DR...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    That's rough because those prices seem to be holding right now but a few years down the road they might not be that tragic. I don't see too many modern toys holding their value.
    I very much agree. Right now we are kind of seeing something of a 'perfect storm' catch-22 anomaly happening with this line. Sales have declined (particularly sub sign ups) over the past couple of years. Some people may have already completely lost interest in this line. Others, I think, are still interested, but don't want to commit to a full year of figures and be forced to buy expensive 3-packs of very obscure figures, etc. The point is that since the line is still going, there is still active interest in it from various people, even those who didn't subscribe. But because of the reduced sales and some figures never getting reissued (i.e. Teela), ebay prices have gone nuts as of late. But that's just right now.

In time interest will wane. It may not happen until after this line ends, but I wouldn't be surprised if that happens within the next couple/few years. And whenever that happens, shortly there after we will likely have at least a decent amount of what I call "collection dumpers".... the people who will get rid of their collections after the line ends mostly for at least one of two possible reasons...

1. Feeling their collection is "incomplete".
    Maybe some vintage figures (whether it be MOTU, POP, and/or NA) never get released that some people really want and feel that their collection isn't complete. This happened with the 200X line, with a lot of people dumping their collections when it ended. But this doesn't necessarily only have to be limited to vintage figures. Since this line as been "all inclusive" and things like Filmation rights are on the table, in addition to mini comics, etc, some people may get upset if some character that only appeared in one mini comic or one cartoon episode that they really like never gets made, and consider it incomplete as a result.

2. Having nothing more to add to their collection
    I know this may seem similar to the reason above, but it is kind of different. It's not so much that people feel their collection is "incomplete" because of a specific character being missing from it. It's just that for them, part of the "fun" of their collection is the process of building it. When there's nothing left to "build", they tire of it. It doesn't matter if each and every character from all previous toy lines, all background characters from all cartoons, comics etc. comes out. Once there's nothing more to add, they will get 'bored' with it. And so some of these people will likely dump their collections as well.

We saw all of this happen with the 200X line after it ended. And many figures that were at one time commanding high prices really dropped in value.

I'm sure there a few MOTUC figures that due to their combined popularity and scarcity (i.e. Shadow Weaver) may hold more of a value in the long run. But I don't see Fang Man, for example, doing the same. He has a following, but he's not THAT popular of a character. Right now the price gouging on him is due to the fact that he's essentially a sub exclusive now, and non-subscribers can't easily get him.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

The Fangman thing is similar to what happens when new figures start hitting retail, it can often take up to four to six weeks for a wave or line to filter out to the retail even initial push. Some stores get them earlier and some will rush out buy them real fast and put them on ebay for a higher price knowing people must be early adopters and will pay more. After the six week period though most of those lines have a second push which lowers their secondary market value because in 75% of most retail cases the manufacturer can more or less sustain the demand. Interestingly enough, often the people selling those initial figures off aren't just scalpors who have no interest in the line, it's people who will end up buying their figures a month or or two later essentially having someone on ebay pay them for the figure.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    I have a feeling Fang Man will show up later, maybe black friday or something. I think his status of being an exclusive is artificial. Once the Filmation sub sales drive is over they'll find a time later to release the rest of the stock. But of course that's just my theory.
    I doubt it and even if he does show up it'll be for like 3 seconds which would essentially equate to no sale at all and have zero effect on market prices.

All that would do is shoot themselves in the foot and cause no one to ever believe them again and throw this whole scare tactic in to making you buy a sub. on that premise void.

I'm sure that Fang Man and the mystery filmation figure aren't the last to go through this treatment and we'll probably see 2014 figures in the same boat.

It's an effective tactic to sell subs. so I don't see why they would ruin it by just releasing the figures later on or at least in any amount worth noting.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    I have a feeling Fang Man will show up later, maybe black friday or something. I think his status of being an exclusive is artificial. Once the Filmation sub sales drive is over they'll find a time later to release the rest of the stock. But of course that's just my theory.
    I imagine his customer service stock will show up for early access at some point and won't last long, I don't think they are producing a plethora of extra figures just to sit on.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    To be fair, Ebay prices are always higher than they ought to be. I remember paying around $70 each for a couple of SDCC Keldors nine years ago. It'll be interesting to see how Classics prices are in ten years' time.
    I don't get this thought process? EBay auctions are the market value, while some buy it now prices are out of touch auction prices pretty much are the market price for that item. And yes some items will continue to increase in price while others will lose "value" over time. Current action figures tend to gradually grow in price then after a few years fall off as the line either changes or is cancelled. After Classics is cancelled will figures decrease? Probably, but some like Shadow weaver will probably still be well above cost.

I've noticed that a couple of DC vs MOTU 2 Packs are going for high prices. Superman vs He-Man is high up there and if you can find Bizzaro vs BA Faker, don't expect less than $100 to begin with from what i've seen so far.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by slgcmg View Post
    I've got a sub so I got my Fisto. Was just surprised to see him and Sorceress sell for so much. I knew I had to buy the weapons pack separately but I thought all figs came with it.

My Fisto had never been removed out of the shipping box so I was glad to see it wasn't a Sorceress. Now I've got to hunt down Granamyr.
    Always check your figures!!! Wrong figures in mailers, broken parts (i.e. Roboto's chest), wrong name cards in bubble that don't match the figure, missing accessories, two right legs, over the top sloppy (or missing) paint ops, or even crushed bubbles. I check them as soon as they arrive - if you contact Matty right away they are usually good at sending replacements right out - in some cases they let you keep the bad figure but not always.

I believe I have been lucky as I have only encountered two issues... Several broken Robotos which I got replaced and my first run Mer-Man had said 'The Original' and they replaced that with one without the starburst.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yodafreakmaster View Post
    Supply and demand. That is one reason that buying into this year's sub was a sound decision for collectors of the line. Anything unwanted could easily be unloaded and folks would still be WAY ahead financially compared to trying to buy the wanted items on the secondary market. Hopefullly everyone will sub in 2014 that loves MOTUC's!!!!!!!
    Some people will not deal with Mattycollector, and for very good reasons that have nothing to do with problems unloading the unwanted figures (which is not the cake walk you make it out to be). DR is a completely inept company, and many fans will not face the problems of doing business with them. I love MOTUC, but I also love my credit card and want to keep bogus charges off it, so I no longer do business with DR.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Some people will not deal with Mattycollector, and for very good reasons that have nothing to do with problems unloading the unwanted figures (which is not the cake walk you make it out to be). DR is a completely inept company, and many fans will not face the problems of doing business with them. I love MOTUC, but I also love my credit card and want to keep bogus charges off it, so I no longer do business with DR.
    No, they are not easy to offload....especially when sites like BBTS have stock left, many of the ones that will sell are the ones that people want to keep. I was originally going to sell Netossa, but I saw there really wasn't a market for her, and most people only want to pay cost, and not to include the shipping that you paid to originally get the figure....sorry, but ain't happening....if I pay $35 with shipping, and I sell it, it's going to be $35 plus additional shipping.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    No, they are not easy to offload....especially when sites like BBTS have stock left, many of the ones that will sell are the ones that people want to keep. I was originally going to sell Netossa, but I saw there really wasn't a market for her, and most people only want to pay cost, and not to include the shipping that you paid to originally get the figure....sorry, but ain't happening....if I pay $35 with shipping, and I sell it, it's going to be $35 plus additional shipping.
    and BBTS can sell the figure most of the time cheaper because of the way shipping will lower the more you buy. They are paying 2-3 bucks shipping per figure over the entire order. Add to that they can lower and increase prices on individual characters (lower less desirable, higher more desirable) because of the quantity they get.

Shipping I see both sides of the coin, one is you did pay for your initial shipping but two that shipping was for a service.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    if I pay $35 with shipping, and I sell it, it's going to be $35 plus additional shipping.
    Good luck. I've had my Netossa listed on ebay for almost a month at $24 (before shipping) and no takers yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Good luck. I've had my Netossa listed on ebay for almost a month at $24 (before shipping) and no takers yet.
    Yep... no one wants her...
    I've had it here and on Ebay for $25.00 shipped and no taker either...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by misterzaku View Post
    You too eh? Kinda weird for the longest time he was promoted as a monthly figure, then TG/Matty just slips him out of the schedule a month or so before it's released.
    He is a monthly figure. Not being available on sale day doesn't change that.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    I took Netossa and combined her with Ram Man in two subs before he was delayed into February and sold them both at a profit on Ebay. It's going to be the way you package things with this line. I won't even say what I made on my extra Fang Man stock...it's just crazy. When the FFM arrive, the extras will go up with the extra King He-man stock.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

While I agree eBay is the biggest markup for motuc if your patient enough there is deals to be had. Just used but it now on King Grayskull and Buzz Off both $58 shipped.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Well...to be honest...I'm bidding WAY higger for a figure on e-bay right now. So yes I am sadly one of the onea driving the prices higher...sorry guya but I HAVE to have it...NOW lol.

Just remember the only figures we saw in 2012 BF sale where the 30th Anniversery figures. We didnt see any of the regular sub figures. I would assume we'll see the Filmation sub. figures for 2013 BF sale and maybe the con. exclusive figure too.

I say go to the market place fist.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    I have to say one thing from the deep of my heart:
    I HATE EARLY BIDDERS!
    I am not only a buyer but also a seller... but I hate 'em.
    There is no logic to do a bids war on somethin' that will end after 10 days...
    In two hours a Shadow Weaver that started at 1 dollar arrived at 82 dollars... no logic at all!
    I can understand that not everybody can bid at the last seconds but why start biddin' 10 damn days before the ending? WHY?
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    I can understand that not everybody can bid at the last seconds but why start biddin' 10 damn days before the ending? WHY?
    I think you pretty much answered your own question. Some people see an item they want, decide to put in there max bid at the start cause they don't have that extra time to come back and check. Not everyone can sit at a computer for the last 2 minutes of an auction and bid.

Quote Originally Posted by cax16 View Post
    I think you pretty much answered your own question. Some people see an item they want, decide to put in there max bid at the start cause they don't have that extra time to come back and check. Not everyone can sit at a computer for the last 2 minutes of an auction and bid.
    There's no chanche at all that somebody can win an auction biddin' ten days before the ending, if they don't have time why they don't bid the last day... Plus they don't have time to bid the last day but they have time to do a biddin' war in the first hours of the auction...
    I just don't understand....

Round 2, vote for

Heroic Warrior
    There's no chanche at all that somebody can win an auction biddin' ten days before the ending, if they don't have time why they don't bid the last day... Plus they don't have time to bid the last day but they have time to do a biddin' war in the first hours of the auction...

You're very wrong, auctions depend on what someone wants to pay, if I bid $225 max on a fisto on the first day what does it matter if I'm on for the last 2 minutes of an auction if no one else is willing to pay what I will?

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I think a lot of people are leery of an early high max bid because you're susceptible to shill bidding like that.

On the other hand, I've seen a TON of instances where I was watching something to try to put a bid in towards the end, but then I would forget and see the item go for super cheap, the winner being a low early bidder.

Also, I'm super impatient when it comes to most eBay auctions, so no way will I bid on something that has 7, 8, 10 days left and just watch my status over the course of that week.

Quote Originally Posted by cax16 View Post
    You're very wrong, auctions depend on what someone wants to pay, if I bid $225 max on a fisto on the first day what does it matter if I'm on for the last 2 minutes of an auction if no one else is willing to pay what I will?
    You're right on that , I forgot to mention that if someone can afford to bid with high prices he can be the king and the winner of every bid on ebay!
    So the correct sentence is "I hate the early bidders that aren't rich and that are only helpin' to rise the price!"

Round 2, vote for

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I think a lot of people are leery of an early high max bid because you're susceptible to shill bidding like that.

On the other hand, I've seen a TON of instances where I was watching something to try to put a bid in towards the end, but then I would forget and see the item go for super cheap, the winner being a low early bidder.

Also, I'm super impatient when it comes to most eBay auctions, so no way will I bid on something that has 7, 8, 10 days left and just watch my status over the course of that week.
    I usually place an early max bid, if it gets bid up ill check the feedback of the other bidder if I see less than 5 ill retract my bid.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    I usually place an early max bid, if it gets bid up ill check the feedback of the other bidder if I see less than 5 ill retract my bid.
    Good strategy! I may have to borrow that.

Bid retractions are generally frowned upon though, no?

Have to disagree with this as well. I place my max bid in right when I see something. I don't have time to keep checking and checking. I set it and forget it. if i don't win then i don't win.

Yes, this. I have seen many times where I WOULD have bid and thought nah I will wait. I Forget and it so happens that the auction is the one that goes for almost nothing.

You're right on that , I forgot to mention that if someone can afford to bid with high prices he can be the king and the winner of every bid on ebay!
    So the correct sentence is "I hate the early bidders that aren't rich and that are only helpin' to rise the price!"
    agreed lol

Good strategy! I may have to borrow that.

Bid retractions are generally frowned upon though, no?
    Yeah, if you retract a bid after a certain amount of time or close to when the auction ends you can get bad feedback or get a strike on your account. too many strikes and you don't get to bid any longer.

I think the rule of thumb for auction (and any purchase really) is bid what you can afford. If you set a goal, stay with that goal.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!